crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Why Childress made a mistake

For those of you that missed it -- the Vikings got in a position to tie the exhibition game with the Raiders with a last-second field goal. Childress chose not to kick the field goal, instead trying futily for a TD. They weren't even in the red zone.

It's easy to sit back in an armchair and second guess NFL coaches. But I really think Childress made a mistake last night. Not just because he cost me a few dollars -- I had the over for the game, hedged by the under 16.5 in the second half. An overtime game would have produced two winners. I think a few things about Childress came to light that will haunt him in his inevitably short time in Minnesota.

1) He has no desire to win. Can you imagine Bill Parcells or Billick or any of the other great coaches doing what Childress did? He just showed his team that winning isn't all that important. I imagine that a lot of his players were ticked as well - exhibition or not, those guys are competitive and don't want to lose.

2) He showed no fan appreciation. Granted, the coach doesn't answer to fans but I'd be pretty ticked if I was a loyal fan who paid good money to support my team only to watch the coach give up in the end. I wouldn't spend another penny to support that team if I was there and was disrespected.

I understand about injuries and a game that doesn't really count, but Childress flat out gave up. Why did he bother calling his timeouts to get the ball back and pretending like he wanted to win if he really didn't? I only lost $5 juice on the game so it isn't that. His actions just really rubbed me the wrong way. Get rid of exhibition games and make the if coaches don't even care about winning. Add 2-4 regular season games if it's a money issue.

I'd say Vikings are a pretty good fade the rest of the preseason.

sjelveh
    sjelveh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would you of wrote the same post if they got the td it’s the preseason, even the guys in the booth wanted him to go for it none of the players really want to be there, everyone on the field I bet agreed with the decision
    Last edited by sjelveh; 08-15-06 at 10:57 AM.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Childress made the right call.
    He had a game plan and he probably had accomplished everything he planned for the night.
    No need to keep the players on the field imo.
    This is why I dont bet on preseason football. Coaches can lose a game and be perfectly satisfied... this is one case. I do understand and respect what Crackerjack thinks but it was the right move imo...

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

I know a lot of people will disagree with my opinion. I know I am probably wrong because teams go winless in preseason still have a very successful regular season (i.e. the Colts were 0-5 last year in preseason). But I think for a new coach to come in and basically give up on a game was wrong. There probably were a lot of players that wanted to go home, but I bet the ones that were out on the field most of the time fighting for the win wanted a chance to win in OT and I bet a few who are fighting for jobs wanted some more snaps as well (and if the kicker is one of those on the bubble, he should have been given a chance to show what he can do under pressure)...

I respect all opinions, but mine is right! Just kidding...I do see and understand the points made by bulldog and sjelvah. In the end it probably won't matter in the least, but I will be watching the Vikings in their next few exh games and during the regular season to see if it had any affect psychologically.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

this is the exact reason why new coaches could be the difference when it comes to over/under bets.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think he made the right call its pre season, nobody is looking to play extra time they just want to end it with as few injuries as possible. Of course it sucks being on the wrong end. I thinking the vikings played a decent game considering they were playing a team with a game under belt.