darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19468

It is quite fair and the evidence is there to say that Pittsburgh has had a recent run of 'choking' in the tourney.
    More so, than other teams.
    To teams that are not supposed to be as good as them.

As for the other teams, they all get beat every once in a while, but they sometimes, put together a good tournament run.

BigMama
    BigMama's Avatar Become A Pro!

great day for all

VicVega91
    VicVega91's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperDapper View Post
    What do you mean Dixon had no chance? All Dixon had to do was take McGhee out and move Brown to the 5 so he could match up with Howard.

that is what he said. Dixon had no chance as he got outcoached by a younger sharper coach. If Dixon had been sharper he might have done what you suggested

stogies
    unfairly banned
    stogies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 261

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    There's a reason Rick Barnes, Jim Boeheim, Jamie Dixon et al have the track record they do when it comes to tournament chokes. These guys fail to get it done year after year with very few exceptions, and wouldn't you know it, they were all outcoached by younger, sharper up-and-comers this weekend.

Congrats to Miller, Williams and Stevens.

you probably made good coin last weekend fading texas, syracuse and pitt.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Nick Saban consistently won @ Michigan St., and beat Michigan on occasion. This was when Michigan was a perennial Top 5 team. Saban can coach.

The guy in college who is more of a recruiter than coach is Mack Brown. He is basically Boheim on the football field. Struck lighting in a bottle with Vince Young. B4, and after that National Championship. He always has the top talent in Texas, and doesnt really know what to do with it.

Not really saying Saban needs a dunce cap on at the games, but lets be honest. Who has more talent than this guy has had at LSU and Alabama? Saban is a strong recruiter and motivator. He runs boot camp style practices and off season work.. Also when Saban signs your kid and he ain't who he thought he was getting in terms of talent and ability he will ship the kid out. Saban signs more players than anybody with the intention of cutting players and running them off. He runs an NFL style tryout camp at the college level. His players are nothing but pawns to him. He cares nothing for the kids other than what can they do for him on the football field.

That is the same reason Julio Jones and Darious Hanks was not willing to sell out for there coach against Auburn on the last drive when they were "banged" up...Granted, neither was actually "hurt". Julio the prior kick off got kicked in the shin and was bruised and hurting but those are the type of games and situations you have to suck it up and play on the most critical drive of the game. The reason Hanks and Julio set out was because they knew there coach did not have there best interest at heart.

Also, if you watched the Auburn Alabama game you would have seen Saban get out coached and beat agaisnt inferior talent at home against a team willing to sell out. I realize Auburn was national champs but nobody can convince me from a talent standpoint for a complete roster that Auburn was as good as Alabama. NO WAY.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Also, if you watched the Auburn Alabama game you would have seen Saban get out coached and beat agaisnt inferior talent at home against a team willing to sell out. I realize Auburn was national champs but nobody can convince me from a talent standpoint for a complete roster that Auburn was as good as Alabama. NO WAY.
    The Bama that showed up against Michigan State in the bowl game had no business losing a game this year, let alone three.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    The Bama that showed up against Michigan State in the bowl game had no business losing a game this year, let alone three.

Yeah, I know... It was because there agents told them to go out strong and build some positive momentum heading into the draft/combine... Alabama is a football factory. They ain't gonna win a championship every year but they will be a threat for yrs to come.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    I'll name some more like ole Roy

John Calipari (UK)
    Lorenzo Romar (UW)
    Coach K at Duke to a certain extent (nowhere near as bad as these guys though)
    Rick Pitino (UL)
    Rick Barnes (UT)
    How in the hell does Coach K fit into that category?

Seriously?

If Coach K fits into that category, then every coach fits into that category.

Sure some years his team comes up short (IE: '02 losing to IU, '06 losing to LSU), but then some years his teams come up huge (IE: beating in UNLV '91, making it to the title game in '94)

Unlike most of the coaches on the choke list, Coach K will often change his system to suit his players' talents. He had to do that midseason this year because Irving went down.

And some years he has great players, (Boozer/Dunleavy/JasonWilliams) some years he had mediocre to decent players, like that season he was starting 2 freshman, 2 sophomores and a senior and lost to VCU (Scheyer, G. Henderson, McRoberts, Paulus, Demarcus Nelson) And the years he has mediocre players, yeah, the team doesn't look that great.

I don't people realize that some of the players he recruits just aren't that good. For christ sakes, he was just a few seconds away from winning a national championship starting Jeff Capel, Chris Collins, Antonio Lang, and Cherokee Parks. Holy shit!

I'm not saying Coach K is some infallible miracle worker, his teams will falter before they should from time to time. But then many of Coach K's teams are over-rated from the outset simply because he's won so damned much over the years. And if they keep winning early against weak competition, their vulnerabilities aren't revealed truly till they are bounced out early in the tournament (like to VCU).

Every coach is going to have a team that fails to live up to expectations. That doesn't make him a choke artist. What makes him a choke artist is the inability to win close ball games on a consistent basis. And over the years when you look at the results of some of his big tournament wins (UNLV, UK, Butler) I think it's safe to say he knows how to win a tight ball game when everything is on the line.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by EasyCover View Post
    It doesnt matter about losing games to a team with a 9-21 record. It's how your playing now. See Butler,VCU and Florida State. And Valvano's NC State. The crappiest team to ever win an NCAA title.
    Hey now, don't be going and disrespecting my Pack like that. We all know that the Nova team that won it a couple years later was worse.

Besides, NCSU won the ACC Tournament that year, and were 3rd in the conference standings in the regular season. And they would make it to the elite 8 in two of the next three seasons.

Meanwhile, Villanova was a #8 seed the year they won it.

Brodog28
    Brodog28's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im a huge Butler fan, but my money is on wisconsin thursday.

First 123