No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

We're seeing history repeat itself

There's a reason Rick Barnes, Jim Boeheim, Jamie Dixon et al have the track record they do when it comes to tournament chokes. These guys fail to get it done year after year with very few exceptions, and wouldn't you know it, they were all outcoached by younger, sharper up-and-comers this weekend.

Congrats to Miller, Williams and Stevens.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Dixon had no chance in that game. Pitt played well but Butler is nearly unbeatable in this tournament format. ****** up how they get Wisky now though

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    Dixon had no chance in that game. Pitt played well but Butler is nearly unbeatable in this tournament format. ****** up how they get Wisky now though
    I think they can beat Wisconsin, TP. I really do.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Between Brown and Barnes, Texas fans have to be scratching their head a little right now.

TrapperDapper
    TrapperDapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4727

What do you mean Dixon had no chance? All Dixon had to do was take McGhee out and move Brown to the 5 so he could match up with Howard.

TPowell

Pitt played about as well as they could and still couldn't get the win. I think Butler can win the game as well but no play because I love both Ryan and Stevens a lot as coaches

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Pitt played about as well as they could and still couldn't get the win. I think Butler can win the game as well but no play because I love both Ryan and Stevens a lot as coaches
    Stevens actually has a much better track record than Ryan in the tournament, and Butler has a much more tourney-savvy roster right now than Wisconsin does.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Everyone's going to expect a game in the 50's there, too -- I bet it goes over whatever the number is set at (I'm assuming it's somewhere in the low-120's).

TPowell

Ryan tourny record isn't very good but its easy to tell he's an amazing coach by his ATS record over the years.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Ryan tourny record isn't very good but its easy to tell he's an amazing coach by his ATS record over the years.
    He's beaten the teams he's supposed to beat, and Butler qualifies.

I still think the Bulldog magic continues. Looking forward to the guard matchups especially.

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Everyone's going to expect a game in the 50's there, too -- I bet it goes over whatever the number is set at (I'm assuming it's somewhere in the low-120's).
    Already plan to jump on the over, worked out so far with both of Wisc. games and Butler 2nd rd although I didn't play/see it coming.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JT OZ View Post
    Already plan to jump on the over, worked out so far with both of Wisc. games and Butler 2nd rd although I didn't play/see it coming.
    Wisconsin can score. They're a half-court team, but they'll put up points. I'm not saying this will be 80-75, but it should get into the 130's.

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I agree, I watch a lot of Big 10 ball so I was prepared for the Wisconsin game bc the low totals were deceiving to people and I'm hoping for the same thing this week.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Jamie Dixon et al have the track record they do when it comes to tournament chokes.
    Pitt shot 56% FG, 54% 3pt, while having 10 more rebounds, and 9 more assists than Butler.

Butler played a perfect game, and had its best player go for 30. The game went down to the last second against a team one year removed from the National title game.

Jamie Dixon couldnt have done much else. If anything he got a bad draw for being a 1 seed.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Pitt shot 56% FG, 54% 3pt, while having 10 more rebounds, and 9 more assists than Butler.

Butler played a perfect game, and had its best player go for 30. The game went down to the last second against a team one year removed from the National title game.

Jamie Dixon couldnt have done much else. If anything he got a bad draw for being a 1 seed.
    Butler played a perfect game, but that wasn't a bad draw. Butler did not play like a Sweet 16 caliber team this season. They sorely missed Hayward.

I don't think facing Butler was any worse than any of the other 8/9 opponents in Round 2. Fact of the matter is, Pitt is out before the first weekend is over again. This isn't on the Blair/Fields level of choke, but there's no reason for them not to still be playing.

TPowell

No Coin, throw the season out the window pal. It's March and I'll take Butler over any time left not named Ohio State or Duke to win it all.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

No Coin, throw the season out the window pal. It's March and I'll take Butler over any time left not named Ohio State or Duke to win it all.
    So you're taking them over Wisconsin?

TPowell

The more i think about it, the more I like it. Wisconsin would be their toughest matchup until the NC game though.

creazntee
    SBR PRONoun
    creazntee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yup, you got. I agree

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Im on Butler +4 and also the Moneyline also because I figure that +4 will go down to +3.5

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

The more i think about it, the more I like it. Wisconsin would be their toughest matchup until the NC game though.

They won't beat Florida, though. Florida's going to the FF.

TPowell

I wouldnt bank on it No Coin, If Butler gets a hold of them I dont like their chances. They may be able to outlast Wisconsin. Two great games though

I lean BYU over Florida and Butler over Wisconsin.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I wouldnt bank on it No Coin, If Butler gets a hold of them I dont like their chances. They may be able to outlast Wisconsin. Two great games though

I lean BYU over Florida and Butler over Wisconsin.
    How will BYU beat Florida? I don't see that at all, unless Boynton's out. This Florida team is tough, deep, experienced, athletic, and Donovan's a FF regular.

TPowell

Florida's guards aren't big enough to really challenge Jimmer and Co. Florida isn't that great inside. Macklin and Tyus are solid but they aren't spectacular. The only real experience these guys have it losing in the 1st round LAST YEAR to BYU. I just don't see how this game isn't a dead pick

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Marquette-North Carolina is going to be more interesting than people think. Eagles do everything UNC hates to do. If they can drag the Heels into the gutter and dictate the tempo, they might pull off another upset.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

my lean is BYU over Florida lets remember how Florida didnt get to the freethrow line at all against Kentucky in the SEC championship im not backing a team that doesnt know how to consistently get to the line like Jimmer does on his own

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Florida's guards aren't big enough to really challenge Jimmer and Co. Florida isn't that great inside. Macklin and Tyus are solid but they aren't spectacular. The only real experience these guys have it losing in the 1st round LAST YEAR to BYU. I just don't see how this game isn't a dead pick
    Well BYU was a dog to Gonzaga -- I just don't think oddsmakers think much of them outside of Jimmer.

Florida doesn't have great big men, and yes, their guards are small. Parsons is going to be a matchup nightmare for BYU, though. I still think not having Davies is going to catch up to the Cougars real soon.

Anyway, I haven't even started capping these games. Just raw thoughts.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Didn't Lloyd Jr. have a big game for BYU last year vs. Florida? He's not around now. I know Jimmer went nuts, but Boynton did as well IIRC. Parsons went for like 20 and 10.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Didn't Lloyd Jr. have a big game for BYU last year vs. Florida? He's not around now. I know Jimmer went nuts, but Boynton did as well IIRC. Parsons went for like 20 and 10.
    oh god its a rematch from last year i completely forgot about that Now I dont even no if I want to bet this game

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

Wisconsin -4 is the play.
    Wiscy gets a lead with sub 2 left, hit all their free throws and choke out the Bulldogs.

craigpb
    craigpb's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8006

There's a reason these coaches suck in March; called no NBA players. Barnes is no doubt just bad, but the rest might want to start recruiting better.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

I don't think facing Butler was any worse than any of the other 8/9 opponents in Round 2.
    Butler = Horizon League winner

ODU = Colonial league winner

Butler started off the year as a top 15 team

ODU finished as a top 25 team.

No other, #1 seed had to face opponents of that pedigree. Being from a big time conference is one thing, but winning your own conference's tourny is another.

Pitt had the hardest matchup in round 2, no matter who they faced.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

So? You cannot name one season where PITT has not underachieved in tourney under Dixon.

Perennial top 20, top 2 Big East, and one Elite 8 in eight years coacing. That was in 09 in a loss to Nova when PITT was a #1 seed ranked 4th nationally.
    Last edited by Sunde91; 03-21-11 at 02:05 AM.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

No other, #1 seed had to face opponents of that pedigree. Being from a big time conference is one thing, but winning your own conference's tourny is another.

Pitt had the hardest matchup in round 2, no matter who they faced.
    They were SUPPOSED to. They were the last #1 seed.

That being said, I'm not sure I agree Butler or ODU's pedigree means all that much.

Butler lost a game to 9-21 Youngstown State this year. Among other losses to Wright St, Valpo, and 2 to UW-M.

ODU had losses to Delaware and Drexel, and got blown out by Missouri.

I don't see how this makes either of them significantly better than GMU who Ohio State just obliterated.

You could make the case, I guess, that they were better than Illinois or Michigan. But while Illinois and Michigan had more losses, most all those losses came against quality tournament teams (Ohio State, Kansas, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Missouri, Texas, Purdue, Penn State etc).

Point is, I don't think you can say Butler is that significant of an opponent just based off of them winning the Horizon conference tournament and their play last year. You can't discount what Hayward and Veasley meant to that team. Yes Butler still has talent. They are still a well coached team. But they aren't nearly as good.
    Sort of like Duke after they won back to back titles.

After Laettner and Brian Davis graduated in '93 Duke was still a good team and had a good "pedigree," as they still had Hurley and Grant Hill. But they weren't even close to as good as the year before. Which is why they lost to Jason Kidd and Cal in the second round.

You can't evaluate seeding on the previous year if the current year's team has slipped significantly. And losing to Youngstown State is major slippage.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    So? You cannot name one season where PITT has not underachieved in tourney under Dixon.
    The crux of the argument is that Pitt played well enough to win. They came off as well coached, and the unfortunate losers of a competitive game.

They didnt get blown out(Notre Dame), embarrass themselves(Georgetown), lose to a 13 seed(Louisville), blow a late lead(Villanova), or fail to register a pulse(St. Johns).

123 Last