bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I took ODU in this game Mr.Eagles

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

SUN PLAY 11/18

7:15 ET Tip

Loyola (MT) @ New Mexico OVER 128

Welcome back to the home team rapes the visitor. This is another one of those games where the game is a total mismatch, but again blowouts certainly can lend themselves to an over. Loyola did finally show offensive life last night vs. Presbyterian. Yeah, so temper your enthusiasm for a repeat of their 87 pt. outburst. Prior to that they had totaled 50, 41 and 61. The game that offers the closest help in this one is Loyola's 74-61 loss to UC-Irvine. Irvine is a team that will push the tempo and we should see New Mexico do the same at home tonight. The Lobos have really been putting the pedal to the metal on offense at home, scoring 81, 88 and 93 pts. They're shooting over 50% from the floor, including a ridiculous 46% from 3. Loyola's FG defense is around 47%, so New Mexico should be able to pump in 80 or above in this one. If they can do that, then you just have to hope that Loyola can perhaps build on last night's performance (9 of 21 from 3pt land) and chip in 50+ pts to get this one past the #.

Result: (W) New Mexico wins 86-58, Total Pts = 144
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-18-07 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

DEGENERATE SPECIAL 11/18

10:00pm ET Tip

Portland State vs. Colorado State OVER 134

Two surprising offenses meet in Fairbanks, Alaska this evening. Portland State is hitting just over 47% from the floor and that's in spite of a 35% FG shooting performance vs. UCLA in their opener. Since then, the Vikings shot 58% in a 75-73 win vs. IUPUI and just under 50% in last night's 66-63 win over a defensive-minded Akron club. On the other side, Colorado State is hitting 50% of its shots from the floor this season and is coming off a season high 87 pt effort vs. Tennessee State last night. That included a career-best 43 points from Marcus Walker. Since a pitiful opening night score of just 39 pts vs. Montana, the Rams have pushed their offensive output to 69 pts and then last night's 87. Both teams seem fairly comfortable pushing the ball, but it will be interesting to see where the tempo falls exactly since both have had the pace dictated in previous games by their opponents. The Rams will need someone outside of Walker to step up tonight as Portland State is sure to key on him early. Big man Stuart Creason could help having scored 17 pts in their first game of this tournament. Willis Gardner hit for 20 in that game, but both deffered to Walker last time out. For Portland State, Jeremiah Dominguez and Lucas Dupree will need to continue their hot outside shooting to push this one past the #. Expect some anxious moments, but if both teams play hard for the tournament championship, this one should squeak over the #.

Result: (L) Colorado State wins 64-63, Total Pts = 127

YTD 14-10 (+2.10 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-18-07 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added Results

bigboydan

I took my chances with the CSU ML in that game Mr.Eagles.

EaglesPhan36

Nice win for you Dan. Unfortunately the degenerateness of this pick got me tonight.

EaglesPhan36

MON 11/19 PLAY

1:00pm ET Tip

Illinois-Chicago vs. Wichita State UNDER 127.5

Action winds down today at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. I'm going with the under when these two squads meet, mostly predicated on Wichita State. The Shockers are no where near the squad they were last season as evidence in early season losses to Monmouth (NJ) and Baylor. However, the identity of this team has not changed in that they are defense oriented. They've held opponents to just under 40% from the floor. They do need to improve on their 3 pt D which is at 43%. Offensively, Wichita State is scuffling. They average just 55 pts a game and are coming a woeful 50 pt showing vs. Monmouth. With Illinois-Chicago you have a pretty talented offensive squad, but an inconsistent one. They put up 84 against a good Bradley squad, but at this tournament they have been held to 58 pts by Winthrop and 63 by UNC-Charlotte. Neither of whom are quite as defensively sound as the Shockers. The Flames are proficient from 3 though hitting at close to 45%. For this one to slip under the #, Wichita State will have to defend the arc well. All in all, I expect Wichita State to continue to struggle offensively against a decent Ill-Chicago D and hopefully the Shockers slow the Flames enough to keep under the # here.

THIS PLAY IS FOR HALF A UNIT

Result: (W) Wichita State wins 67-60, Total Pts = 127

YTD 15-10 (+2.60 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-19-07 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added Result

bigboydan

I took my chances with IL. Chicago +3.5 last night Mr.Eagles.

EaglesPhan36

You got a great line there Dan. Flames should win this outright. Getting the pts is a bonus. It's down to a pick 'em now.

EaglesPhan36

MON 11/19 PLAY

8:30pm ET Tip

Winthrop +2 vs. Baylor

A surprising match-up for the title at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands tonight. With bigger name schools like Georgia Tech and Notre Dame also included, it might be a shocker to see Winthrop and Baylor in the final. But both have played well in this tournament. Winthrop has impressed with their offensive efficiency. The Eagles are shooting 49% from the floor and a robust 45% from beyond the arc. They knocked off Georgia Tech yesterday by 6 and defeated Illinois-Chicago handily by 14 in the tournament opener. The key cog to the Winthrop offense is senior Chris Gaynor who is averaging 11.7 ppg, 6.3 boards and about 5 assists. Michael Jenkins adds a flexible inside-outside game that paces Winthrop with over 15 ppg. Throw in center Charles Corbin on the boards and defense and this Winthrop team could be in line for another trip to the NCAAs this season. For Baylor, their road in this tournament included a win over Notre Dame by 4 last night and a 9 point win over Wichita State. Their defense has keyed their run, allowing just 36% shooting from the floor. The Bears offense has been fairly balanced, but does rely on two guys mainly. Curtis Jerrells leads the team with a 17 ppg average and Aaron Bruce is an assassin from beyond the arc with a 12.8 ppg average. Both Jerrells and Bruce are hitting above 50% from 3 pt land on the season. Winthrop will have to defend the perimter well, but has the experienced players to do so. Expect a back and forth battle throughout, but Winthrop seems a tad more capable of getting the win with a bit more balance on offense. The money line for this game is at +115 for Winthrop, but this game could be close enough where having those 2 pts in your pocket might be the difference.

Result: (L) Baylor wins 62-54

YTD 15-11 (+1.60 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-19-07 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added Result

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    You got a great line there Dan. Flames should win this outright. Getting the pts is a bonus. It's down to a pick 'em now.
    That great line didn't matter though unfortunately.

EaglesPhan36

Yeah I stayed away from that side because they burned me vs. Winthrop. The under snuck in.

EaglesPhan36

MON 11/19 PLAY

11:30pm ET Tip

Arizona State vs. Illinois OVER 122

This pick requires a bit of faith in that this is based on potential and not actual results for ASU. Arizona State makes their season debut tonight and the first thing any college hoops fan would think of is last year's ASU squad that struggled to put up points. Herb Sendek though did an excellent job recruiting and this year's team - at least by exhibition looks - will be very much a young, but more up tempo team capable of scoring some points. Freshman James Harden should be the top scorer for ASU, rated by most as the best Sun Devils recruit possibly ever. He averaged 20 ppg in his last two exhibition starts with ASU. Up front, Jeff Pendergraph [pre-season Wooden Award nominee] returns averaging nearly a double-double last year with 12 pts and 9 boards per game. Christian Polk averaged 12 ppg as a frosh and should benefit from Harden's presence in the backcourt. For Illinois, this is also a more inexperienced team than usual. But I believe that is a good thing for our purposes here. I think this team is prone to play along with the opposition's tempo as they did in a 79-77 win over Hawaii. That total was also in this neighborhood and was obliterated. The Illini will need continued hard work up front from Shaun Pruitt and Brian Randle, both of whom scored in double figures vs. Hawaii. In the backcourt, Chester Frazier broke loose with three 3s and scored 19 pts to lead Illinois. Illinois' defense is giving up just 37% shooting from the floor, but Hawaii did clip them for 46%. The hunch here is that ASU will push the tempo more this season and that the Illini will be acceptable to playing at that tempo. If they hit some outside shots and ASU lives up to their potential, I think there's enough to push past this #.

This one is for 1.5 units

Result: (W) Illinois wins 77-54, Total Pts = 131

YTD 16-11 (+3.10 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-20-07 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added Result

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

i need a little dinger to go off whenever u post because i keep missing these even though i'm lookin

EaglesPhan36

Here's just a little tip for anyone out of their mind enough to tail me on anything. Sides apparently aren't my bag so far.

YEAR TO DATE
    SIDES: 5-5
    TOTALS: 11-6

idontlikerocks

i've noticed but still givin u the benefit lol

EaglesPhan36

Appreciate it! Totals just seem easier to read at this stage for me. Regulat8r is the man right now in college hoops, he's been $$$ on sides.

idontlikerocks

i know been watchin u 2 the most bad luck though upped my ante other night on one of the losers, but its great to have these picks and i like the write ups too. some of these guys on here are funny . you see someone post ytd 28-38 and they are still puttin up the plays. so we can fade em?? mostly i play some odd stuff like today utah over first half 91 and under game 191 . i thot a spread was off somewhere. keep up the great info!!

EaglesPhan36

TUES. 11/20 PICK

8:30pm ET Tip

Evansville @ S.E. Missouri State UNDER 143.5

The under looks like a nice pick with these two teams battling tonight. Evansville has struggled mightily on offense averaging under 50 ppg. The Purple Aces are shooting just over 40% from the floor and under 30% from beyond the arc. SE Missouri meanwhile is averaging 65 ppg, but their best offensive output was against NAIA Culver-Stockton College [85 pts to inflate their avg per game]. Their shooting has been woeful as well, 41% from the floor and around 32% from the field. While both defenses have not been great, the feeling is the offenses won't provide enough spark to push this past this #.

Result: (L) SE Missouri St. wins 87-77, Total Pts = 164
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-20-07 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

TUES 11/20 PICK

7:00pm ET Tip

Iona @ Old Dominion UNDER 126.5

A stingy defense vs. a struggling offense points to this perhaps being a relatively low scoring affair. ODU has been stellar defensively, allowing just under 30% FG shooting and 51 ppg in their first 3. Offensively, ODU isn't going to shock anyone with a run & gun attack. They've averaged just 61 ppg and are shooting at a 41% clip. Their FT shooting is also not great at a shade over 61%. Iona reached their offensive high in a run & gun affair with North Carolina, losing 107-72. Prior to that, Iona had scored 58 vs. Princeton and 66 vs. Robert Morris, another running team. So, don't expect their offense to find much success vs. this defense. Defensively, Iona should be adequate enough to keep ODU from an offensive outburst. The Gaels held Princeton & Robert Morris to a collective 40% shooting [49/122 FGs] which should be more along the lines of what ODU has to offer vs. a terrific offense like UNC. Iona should be hard pressed to get out of the 50s in this one and if they can keep ODU down enough, this should have a shot to slip under the #.

Result: (L) ODU wins 74-63, Total Pts = 137

YTD 16-13 (+1.10 units)

Taking some time off, didn't get into the game today with travel plans, etc. working for the holiday. See you Sunday or so. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-21-07 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

Back to action after some down time for the holiday. Hope you had a good one and made some money. Kept my eye on college hoops during the time off even though I haven't posted in a bit, so hopefully my feel for things is still decent. Here we go.

SUN 11/25 PLAYS

Portland @ Oregon State OVER 120.5

It's gut wrenching to think about taking the Beavers in an over at this point you'd think. This team has shown little on offense with a 59 ppg average and a FG % under 40. They do possess a pair of solid scorers though in G Seth Tarver and F Marcel Jones who combine to average 31+ ppg. They both shoot the 3 well, hitting on over 40% of their shots. So the offensive success of this squad hinges greatly on these two. But again, why would the over be good here? Well, let's switch to Portland. The Vikings are also nothing special on offense, but they average close to 69 ppg. They're not shy shooting the 3, which is part of the reason why I like this match-up & the over. They went 9 of 23 from behind the arc in their last game, but they don't rely strictly on the 3. They have 3 double digit scorers in Fs Robin Smeulders, Sherrard Watson and G Nik Raivio. They'll all need to hit double digits tonight to get this #.

Defensively, OSU is stingy with a 52 ppg avg against, limiting opponents to 42% shooting from the floor. Portland limits opponents to 43%, but still has managed to give up close to 70 ppg. All of Portland's totals in their previous games have gone over tonight's # and the feeling for me is that even though OSU can limit their opponents on D well, Portland will continue to shoot and push the tempo and perhaps allow OSU to open up just enough on offense to get this game past the #.

Result: (W) Oregon State wins 67-57, Total Pts = 124
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-26-07 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

11/25 PLAY

Tip 11:20pm ET

S.Illinois vs. USC OVER 119.5

I think both these teams got a good off-day on Saturday to rest them after two straight days of hoops. Both teams have been shooting well from the floor to begin the season. S.Illinois averaging 46.6% and 37% from 3 pt. territory while USC is shooting almost 48% from the floor and close to 39% from beyond the arc. The Trojans have really struggled in Anaheim however with a 57 pt effort vs. Miami (OH) and 60 against San Diego. Turnovers have been a killer with the team doing that 31 times in 2 games. That has really kept this offensively efficient team from scoring more like they did in averaging 80 ppg in their first 3 contests. S.Illinois will test USC again with their strong defense that limits opponents to 36% FG shooting and only 52 ppg. The Salukis though haven't seen the talent they will see tonight with Hackett, Mayo, Jefferson and Gibson. S.Illinois is efficient offensively with four players in double figures led by F Randal Falker with 17 ppg. G Bryan Mullins and Joshua Bone will need to hit some 3s to get the offense going tonight. Coach Tim Floyd says his team needs to match S.Illinois' efficiency and patience on the offensive end. I can see this one being a bit of a defensive struggle, but I think with both teams having good defenses that will translate to turnovers and some easier buckets. If USC can cause more turnovers than it commits, I like this one to get pushed past the #.

Result: (L) USC wins 70-45, Total Pts = 115

YTD: 17-14 (+1.00 unit)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-26-07 at 04:29 PM.

idontlikerocks

good luck on this one, i dislike taking an over when the coach says his team has to be patient. also, if they are scoring so low with a high shooting percentage, they are unlikely to score higher with a lower shooting percentage. wow what a stoner statement. anyhow, welcome back from your holiday and luck to you here.

EaglesPhan36

11/26 PLAY

Tip 7:00pm ET

S.Florida -3.5 @ Florida International

South Florida seems like a good wager tonight against a FIU team that has yet to play anyone of consequence. FIU is 2-0, feasting on cupcakes Kennesaw State and Florida Technical College. Meanwhile, the Bulls seem to be on a roll after their opening loss to a quality Rhode Island squad. S.Fla has reeled off 3 consecutive wins, including a win over Florida State. The Seminoles recently knocked off Florida - a Top 25 squad - so this Bulls squad is not one to sleep on. They're sizzling from the field, hitting over 45% from 2 and 3 pt land! Kentrell Gransberry is the real deal for the Bulls, averaging over 16 ppg and hitting for over 20 twice this season. He should control the game inside. S.Fla also gets him plenty of help with Gs Verdejo, Howard and Jones averaging double figures. They all shoot over 40% from beyond the arc. Expect this offensive balance to be a bit too much for FIU tonight.

This wager will be for 1.5 units

Result: (W) S.Florida wins 77-69

YTD: 18-14 (+2.50 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-26-07 at 08:19 PM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    11/26 PLAY

S.Florida -3.5 @ Florida International

South Florida seems like a good wager tonight against a FIU team that has yet to play anyone of consequence. FIU is 2-0, feasting on cupcakes Kennesaw State and Florida Technical College. Meanwhile, the Bulls seem to be on a roll after their opening loss to a quality Rhode Island squad. S.Fla has reeled off 3 consecutive wins, including a win over Florida State. The Seminoles recently knocked off Florida - a Top 25 squad - so this Bulls squad is not one to sleep on. They're sizzling from the field, hitting over 45% from 2 and 3 pt land! Kentrell Gransberry is the real deal for the Bulls, averaging over 16 ppg and hitting for over 20 twice this season. He should control the game inside. S.Fla also gets him plenty of help with Gs Verdejo, Howard and Jones averaging double figures. They all shoot over 40% from beyond the arc. Expect this offensive balance to be a bit too much for FIU tonight.

This wager will be for 1.5 units
    good luck. i'm with you on this one.

EaglesPhan36

TUES 11/27 PLAYS

W.Carolina @ Elon OVER 133.5

Two familiar foes meet in the Southern Conference tonight. I like the over here as W.Carolina has struggled on the defensive end vs. inferior teams to the one they are playing tonight. The Catamounts have yielded 83, 76 and 79 pts in their last 3 games while Elon has shown to be more comfortable offensively at home where the Phenix average 71 ppg, 6 above their season average. Elon is also scuffling defensively, yielding over 68 ppg on 47% shooting. While W.Carolina does struggle some on offense, they love the 3 and that is perhaps the weakest point of Elon's defense. Altogether, I think this one can get past the # with the rivalry provided a close game that could help the over with plenty of late free throws.

Result: (L) Elon wins 59-49, Total Pts = 108

TIP 9:00pm ET

Colorado @ Denver OVER 121.5

Denver has been an entirely different club at home early this season. The Pioneers are averaging 79 ppg in two home contests while struggling on the road for just 48 ppg. They'll square off against a Colorado squad that has allowed close to 50% shooting on the road this season. The Buffs have however played pretty solid defense for the season, allowing under 60 ppg. The key for the over in this one is that both offenses have been efficient. Colorado averages just 60 ppg, but does it on 48% shooting while Denver averages just under 60 ppg on 49% shooting. Denver has also hit the over in 3 of their first 4 games. Colorado hit the over in their only game with a posted total. I think this game stays fairly competitive and squeaks by the posted #.

Result: (L) Colorado wins 54-44, Total Pts = 98

YTD: 17-16 (+0.50 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-28-07 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added Results - What a Shitty Night!

EaglesPhan36

WED 11/28 PLAYS

N.C. State +9 @ Michigan State

You have to like the Wolfpack here with the points. They won a tough game against Villanova on a neutral court and the Spartans have been struggling a bit at the Breslin Center early on. MSU beat Oakland by 4 and Missouri by 3, so a talented team like NC State figures to hang around in this one. Both teams are efficient offensively and play solid defense. Freshman JJ Hickson will need to have another big game though for the Wolfpack to compete.

Result: (L) Michigan State wins 81-58

James Madison +2 @ E.Kentucky

The Dukes look to me to be a much more talented team and you're getting points to boot! The Dukes are 3-1 and beat Siena who knocked off former Top 25 team Stanford. Offensively, JMU can turn to any of four double digit scorers to light it up with Terrance carter leading the way with a 18 ppg and nearly 8 rebounds per game. Meanwhile, EKU is scuffling and struggles to score, netting just 56.6 ppg. They've only scored over that average in one game and that was their opener vs. a lower division school. They're shooting just 35% from the field and I just don't think they'll be able to keep up with the weapons that James Madison possesses. I think JMU wins this straight up, so the ML offers a little more value if you're brave enough.

Result: (W) James Madison wins 82-71
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-28-07 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added Results

EaglesPhan36

Additional 11/28 Play

10:00pm ET Tip

California +3.5 or ML [+145] @ Nevada

A good match-up in Reno. Cal brings its 3-0 mark as the Bears have gotten off to a good start with a good attack on the interior offensively and solid defense. Ryan Anderson is the man for Cal. He's averaging 20+ per game and almost 9 boards. His front court mate Devon Hardin has struggled to find his scoring touch, but is averaging a monster 14 boards per game. The backcourt assassin for the Bears is Patrick Christopher. PC is averaging over 20 ppg to give Cal a potent inside-outside combo. Nevada meanwhile has been up and down, going 2-2 with wins over Santa Clara & UC-Irvine and losses to UNLV and Central Florida. For Nevada, they've struggled some to defend the 3, while Cal hits 3s at a 35% clip. Marcelus Kemp and Javale Magee will give Cal's inside duo a test, but Kemp seems to be spending a bit too much time near the 3 pt arc early on, which could help Cal since he's hitting below 20% on his 22 3 pt attempts. Overall, I see two efficient offenses and two solid defenses that will be facing their best tests-to-date. I go with the team that has been a shade more consistent with Cal. If the Bears can get Anderson and Hardin loose inside to open up their perimeter game, I like Cal to win this outright - but take the 3.5 pts if you're so inclined because the game figures to be a tight one.

Result: (W) Cal wins 74-68

YTD 19-17 (+1.85 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-29-07 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

THURS 11/29 PLAYS

Tip 8:00pm ET

Gonzaga ML [+125] @ St.Joseph's

Clearly this will be a dogfight. You've got two teams shooting over 50% from the field, but I'd venture to say neither has faced the quality of defense they will see tonight. Gonzaga appears to have a slight edge, holding opponents under 40% from the field and under 30% from beyond the arc which should be important tonight vs. the Hawks. St.Joe's meanwhile is giving up just 41.6% shooting from the floor, but close to 38% from beyond the arc. That could help a Zags team that has struggled a bit with its long distance shooting at 33%. The place where I really like Gonzaga in this one is on the boards. I think that could very well be the deciding factor as Gonzaga lost their only game [Tx.Tech] when they were out rebounded. If they defend on the perimeter and rebound, I like 'em to get the outright win.

Result: (W) Gonzaga wins 70-65 in OT
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-29-07 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added Result

Jpound21
    Jpound21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

lookin good eaglesphan. im with ya on the zags. Also jumped on the ducks tonite. Goodluck!

EaglesPhan36

Additional 11/29 Play

1ST HALF: Wichita State @ Appalachian State OVER 61

A total hunch play here and partially out of curiosity because in researching games today - the 1st half totals for Appy State land amazingly close to this # so far this season. Wichita State's as well in the range of 58-64 or so. I wanna see if this lands right on the # because I just have the feeling, that or both teams will shoot 12% in the 1st half and the total will be below 50.

Result: (L) Total pts = 57

YTD 20-18 (+2.10 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-30-07 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

FRI 11/30 PLAY

9:00pm ET Tip

UL-Monroe @ Iowa UNDER 131

Quite simply, Iowa has trouble scoring. The Hawkeyes are averaging just 58.4 ppg and haven't topped 65 pts. In fact of their 7 games, they've only scored more than 60 - 3 times. And only once has the total gone over tonight's posted #. UL-Monroe hasn't had trouble scoring or giving up points. They're averaging over 77 ppg and shooting over 45% from the field and 41+% from beyond the arc. They haven't yet faced a team as deliberate as Iowa on the defensive end where the Hawkeyes limit opponents to just 37% shooting and 55 ppg. The Hawkeyes have been able to dictate the pace in practically every game they've played and I believe they will continue to frustrate their opposition tonight. It'll probably be close, but I like this to slip under the #.

Result: (L) I hate OT! UL-Monroe wins 72-67, Total Pts = 139
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 12-01-07 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

Additional 11/30 Play

6:00pm ET Tip

Duquesne vs. Cal-State Northridge +8

Note this game is being played in Des Moines, Iowa at the Iowa Realty Drake Tournament. This should be a fun one with two teams who really like to push it up & down the court. Most would probably see Duquesne as the side here because their defensive #s are superior to CSN's by far. The Dukes are yielding just 64.6 ppg on 33.7% shooting. I think those are a tad misleading though as they've faced some offensively challenged teams that struggle to shoot the ball. They don't get that in CSN tonight. The Matadors match Duquense offensively, shooting 49% from the floor. CSN is much more proficient shooting the 3 however, connecting on almost 45%. The Matadors have 5 players averaging double figures led by Jonathan Heard at 16.8 ppg. Down low, Calvin Chitwood averages 15+ and possess the talent to step out and nail the 3. Duquesne will look to leading scorer Kojo Mensah and F Kieron Archera to lead the way. All in all, I think this is a fairly even match-up, so I'll go with the points here and CS-Northridge.

This play will be for half a unit

Result: (L) Duquesne wins 97-74
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-30-07 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

**A new month and hopefully a new beginning after a slump over the last week plus**

SAT 12/1 PLAYS

James Madison @ Northeastern - 1:00pm ET Tip Time
    Pick: JMU +5.5 (1 unit), JMU ML +200 (.5 unit)

This should be a very competitive game between these Colonial League opponents. I like JMU in this one mainly due to their offense. The Dukes are averaging 84.4 ppg on an amazing 55% FG shooting. They can hammer home the 3 as well at over 40%. Terrance Carter is the muscle down low, leading the team with almost 18 ppg. If he is on, the outside opens up for Abdulai Jalloh & Juwann James. All three average double figures. Northeastern won't be easy to defeat as they've held their own against power conference teams Maryland and Illinois, losing by 2 to UM and 8 to UI. They are coming off a 20 pt. loss however to Rhode Island who feature a diverse scoring attack like James Madison. Matt Janning is the key to a JMU cover I believe as the Huskies leading scorer is off a career-high 34 pts vs. RIU. If the Dukes can keep Janning a bit more under control and win the rebounding battle, I like them to cover & perhaps win this one outright.

Result: James Madison wins 68-65 (W-W +2 units)

YTD 22-20 (+2.5 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 12-02-07 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

SAT 12/1

UNC-Wilmington @ Hofstra - 4:00pm ET Tip Time
    Pick: UNC-Wilmington ML +120 (1 unit)

Looked for any angle where I could say that Hofstra should be favored in this one and I cannot find it. UNC-Wilmington is a solid offensive ball club while Hofstra struggles to put up points against opponents who in my estimation are weaker than the Seahawks. The Seahawks are averaging 77.5 ppg on 49% shooting with four players in double figure scoring led by G T.J. Carter with over 16 per game. UNCW also gets plenty of help inside from Vlad Kuljanin and Todd Hendley who combine for over 30 ppg and close to 14 rebounds per game. Defense is really the only place this squad struggles, but with Hofstra struggling to average 59 ppg - the feeling is UNC-Wilmington should simply out score the Purple Pride. If the Seahawks can contain G Antoine Agudio who averages 22 ppg & remain efficient on offense, I think they can get the outright win here.

Result: UNC-Wilmington wins 87-83 (W)

YTD 23-20 (+3.50 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 12-02-07 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

SUN 12/2 PLAY

Hawaii @ San Diego - 5:00pm ET Tip Time
    Pick: Hawaii +3.5 (1 unit), Hawaii ML +145 (1 unit)

This will be the second meeting between these two teams this season. San Diego won in Hawaii 73-72. Despite that result, Hawaii is the play here for me. The Warriors recently got G Matt Gibson back and that is huge for this squad that already was pretty solid offensively. Hawaii is averaging over 74 ppg on 45% shooting while San Diego struggles to put up 61 ppg on 41% shooting. In their first meeting, Hawaii though hit just 38.5% of their shots while San Diego hit 45%. The Toreros also hit 7 of 13 from beyond the arc, well above their average of just 27.5%. Despite those #s, we had just the one point differential. So with Gibson now back - hitting for 18 in his first game back - look for the Warriors to perhaps win this one outright so long as they put forth a better defensive effort.

Result: San Diego wins 74-57 (L-L)

YTD: 23-22 (+1.40 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 12-03-07 at 05:08 PM.

First 123 Last