EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Slam Dunk 'o The Day

My plays this season: All plays are for ONE unit unless otherwise noted. All lines are courtesy of Bookmaker.com. For weekly record purposes, my week runs from MON-SUN.

FRI 11/9: 7:00 ET tipoff

Loyola (MD) -3 (-110) @ Towson

Loyola returns four starters from last year's squad including stud Gerald Brown who averaged 20+ pts per game last season while guiding Loyola to 18 wins. Marques Sullivan should lead the outside shooting barrage for Loyola. Loyola is picked to be a contender in the MAAC this season along with Siena.

On the other side, Towson lost one of the nation's leading scorers in Gary O'Neal who averaged 25+ pts per game. Towson is relying mainly on returnees (CC Williams is top returnee only averaged 6+ pts last season) to play above their #s from last year while meshing in some younger players as they battle in the Colonial Athletic Association where most pick them to be in the bottom 3 of the 12 team league.

**Note** Towson won last year's meeting between the two teams 70-62 @ Loyola.

Analysis: I believe Loyola will have the more cohesive unit to start the season with their 4 returning starters while Towson could struggle to find the right mix of players at the beginning of the season. Even on the road, I believe Loyola should cover this one tonight.

I do not claim to be an expert. This is purely based on my gut feeling and the research I do in looking at games.

RESULT: (L) Towson wins 83-69
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-18-07 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added Notes On Top

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only thing I liked in this game was the under 142.5, but I passed on it Mr.Eagles.

BOL to you tonight sir

EaglesPhan36

Loyola got absolutely skunked tonight. Solid start to the season for me.

ATS (0-1) -1.1 units

EaglesPhan36

SAT 11/10: 8:00 pm ET tipoff

UAB @ Georgia State OVER 128.5

Former IU Coach Mike Davis should have more talent to work with this season at UAB as transfers Walter Sharpe (Miss St), Robert Vaden (IU) and Channing Toney (UGA) are now eligible to play. Throw in returning guard Paul Delaney who was a first team All-CUSA selection and the UAB offense should be potent this season.

Georgia State will struggle under new coach Rod Barnes in all likelihood. He lost leading scorer Lance Perique and will have to rely on Leonard Mendez to carry the scoring load. G-State should hoist 3s up fairly routinely as evidenced in their exhibition game vs. Clark where they hit 12 of 23 from distance.

Analysis: I think UAB comes out looking to make a statement that they will be a team to be reckoned with this season. I think they score anywhere from 70-85 points in this game. That means G-State will just need to pick up the slack and hit near the 60 mark to cash this one in. With a team that likes to shoot 3s, I think that can happen hopefully!

Result: (W) UAB wins 86-63, Total Pts = 149
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-12-07 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Adding Result

bigboydan

I really didn't have a feel on the total at all, however I did take Georgia State +10 in this game earlier today Mr.Eagles.

EaglesPhan36

SUN 11/11 3:30pm ET Tipoff

Northwestern St vs. Harvard UNDER 162

Not going to in-depth with this pick. This total just seems awfully high to me for two teams that struggled to score points in their first two games. NWST's main weapon, the 3 ball, has been hit and miss in their first two games. They're 12 of 40 from distance so far. Harvard has struggled in all aspects of the game so far this season, especially FT shooting where they were at 50% (13-26) in their first game and just slightly better at 16-26 in game 2. If these two teams do open up and score, FTs sometimes make the difference in a cover at the end.

Analysis: I expect both teams will show better form today because they are stepping down in competition against each other, but I believe this game will hit below the inflated # of 162.

1-1 ATS (-.10 units)

Result: (W) Harvard wins 90-60, Total Pts = 150
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-12-07 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Adding Result

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanx eagles fan for your last 2 picks i put em both in parleys keep em coming thanx again

EaglesPhan36

(2-1) ATS +.90 units

Nice to have a positive # there with a couple wins. Waiting for some of the totals for today to pop up before I make a selection. Looks like it might be a chalk eating day on some of the top teams if nothing else.

EaglesPhan36

MON 11/12 6:00pm ET Tipoff

Delaware St. vs Columbia OVER 120.5

Scouring deep into the card to try to find a solid pick and this is where we land today. This total seems just a tad low to me with two teams that seem likely to attempt plenty of 3s. Despite playing against D-2 teams, Delaware St. showed that they will make the 3 ball a major part of their offensive scheme by putting up 22 & 18 attempts in their first two games, hitting 16 3s combined. Delaware St. also struggled to win 70-69 in their last game, so defense could be an issue for them as well. Columbia struggled vs. Fordham on defense in their lone game this season, allowing 11 of 21 from beyond the arc. Columbia did connect on 8 3s of their own in 20 attempts. Both teams are adequate FT shooting teams so far, which could also aid in squeaking by the #.

Analysis: I don't think the # is going to get blown out of the water by any means in this game, but I do believe that both teams are capable of getting 60+ points with perhaps one even lifting upwards of 70. We'll probably be sweating this one out, but I believe a total in the mid 120s or higher could be our end result.

Result (L) Columbia wins 47-41, Total pts = 88
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-12-07 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

Gonna chalk this up as a loss already. Both Delaware St. and Columbia have fallen off the map offensively after a quick start that saw 30 points in the 1st 8 minutes of the 1st half ... there's been 26 in the next 20!

(2-2) ATS (-.10 units)

EaglesPhan36

MON 11/11 10:30pm ET Tipoff

W.Michigan @ Oregon (-15.5)

Well after seeing alot of the plays that I looked and liked play out pretty well, I decided I'd add one for tonight because this was the other one I really liked other than the skunk listed above.

Not much necessary to look at this one. Both W.Michigan and Oregon have played Pacific & Pepperdine in this tournament. WM lost by 14 to Pacific and struggled to beat Pepperdine by 5. Oregon meanwhile manhandled both clubs, beating Pacific by 16 and Pepperdine by 30. Oregon is playing on their home court with both teams playing their 3rd game in as many days. The Ducks have shot over 50% from the floor so far and hit over 45% from 3. WMich meanwhile is struggling, hitting just 39% from the floor and 34% from 3. Oregon is also doing a better job on the boards thus far and has limited its opponents to 35% shooting while WM has given up 42% from the floor. The only negative thus far for Oregon has been poor FT shooting.

Analysis: Playing on their home floor should be a great advantage for the Ducks. W.Michigan does not appear to have the fire power needed to stick with this up-tempo group of Ducks.

Result: (L) Oregon wins 97-88

YTD 2-3 (-1.10 units)

Crappy day on Monday. One of those days where you don't make the bets that would have won and do make the ones that don't
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-13-07 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

TUES. 11/13 9:00pm ET Tipoff

Oral Roberts @ Texas A&M OVER 129.5

This total looks low to me as two teams that have the horses to push the tempo meet in College Station. ORU beat-up a nobody in SW Oklahoma State 84-59 in their opener. ORU shot 56% from the floor and nearly 40% from long range on 9 of 23 shooting. Nearly half their shots came from beyond the arc. Robert Jarvis and Moses Ehambe did most of the damage, hitting 8 of those 3s.

A&M was solid, yet unspectacluar in their opener vs. McNeese State, a 73-50 win in Coach Mark Turgeon's first game at the helm. The Aggies held McNeese to 37% FG shooting and forced 19 turnovers. That could come into play tonight with ORU having turned the ball over 26 times in their first game. Plenty of easy points! Offensively, the Aggies shot 54% and 5 of 13 from 3-land. Joseph Jones should play big again down low for A&M and newcomer DeAndre Jordan could pick up some of the scoring slack left by the graduated Acie Law.

Analysis: A&M should have little problem putting up points against this Oral Roberts team that let an average-at-best SW Oklahoma State grab 59 in their opener. A&M should hit for 70+ points in this game and it wouldn't surprise me if they approached or exceeded 80. That means ORU needs to pick up the slack and chip in somewhere near 60 points on the low end to help clear this # tonight. I think turnovers and fast break points by both squads help us get the over cashed.

Result: (L) Texas A&M wins 67-53, Total Pts = 120
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-13-07 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added Result

bigboydan

I don't know if this game can go over that total at all Mr.Eagles. Oral Roberts suspended one of their very prolific scorers in Marchello Vealy.

BOL to you sir

EaglesPhan36

Vealy was a decent player for them last season, but inconsistent. He had a big game vs. Kansas, but otherwise he was averaging under 10 per game for the season. We'll see how it goes, I'm banking on A&M to do alot of the work!

EaglesPhan36

Doh. Another loser. If ORU shows up in the first half, mighta woulda coulda.

YTD 2-4 (-2.10 units)

EaglesPhan36

**All Lines courtesy of Bookmaker**

WED 11/14 PLAYS

8pm ET Tip: Detroit +11 @ St.Louis

Look for the Titans to keep this game close enough to cover tonight when they travel to take on Rick Majerus' Billikens. Detroit won their opener at the buzzer vs. MAC rep Kent State, 61-60. Jon Goode was the leading scorer with 22 pts in that contest, but it's Brandon Cotton who you should keep an eye on tonight. Cotton, the team's leading scorer from last season, was suspended along with Goode prior to the season. With his return, Detroit should have enough ammo to stick with St.Louis. The Billikens will be tough though as they proved in an 11 pt. loss to 22nd Pitt in their last game. Kevin Lisch is the key cog to the St.Louis attack and that should provide for a good match-up with Goode or Cotton. I'm banking on Cotton getting solid minutes in this one and Detroit's outside attack to get them the cover.

Result: (W) St.Louis wins 66-58.

7pm ET Tip: Rhode Island -6 @ Brown

I'm taking the Rams tonight to control the tempo of this one and run away from Brown for a cover. RI is bringing back all five of last year's starters from a 19-14 squad and one that destroyed Florida Atlantic by 37 pts in their opener. The Rams are best when they force turnovers and can keep up a more frenetic pace. Jimmy Barron being the likely candidate to light it up from outside for RI. They'll need a better night from low post threat Will Daniels who was their leading scorer last season, but had just 7 in the opener. The Rams also have a talented bench with two guys Mbang and Cothran contributing double figures in the season opener. Their D forced 25 turnovers from FAU. For Brown, they'll look to the 3 ball also after hitting 10 of 17 against E.Michigan in a win and just 10 of 29 in a 15 pt. loss to Michigan. If Brown is to keep this one close, they'll need to rebound better. They were beaten on the boards -10 against Michigan. I look for Brown to keep this one close into the 2nd half, but I believe the Rams have the better all-around talent and depth to cover here.

Result: (W) 75-61 Rhode Island wins

YTD 4-4 (-0.10 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-14-07 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added Results

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

Game: Wisconsin- Milwaukee at Ball State (7:00 PM Eastern)
    Pick: Wisconsin- Milwaukee -2.5

Last year was a far cry from the team we saw playing Cinderella in the dance two years ago. This is a school that can't just reload, but needs to rebuild and those pieces are coming together. Ten of the top 11 scorers return from a year ago including four starters. Coach Rob Jeter has also added transfer Torre Johnson from Oklahoma State, Deion James from Tulsa as well as some talented FR. This will be a much improved team over a year ago. Ball State is a mess right now. There are racial allegations as well as possible NCAA violations surrounding the program, and it led to the resignation of coach Thompson in July. The news was worse when Perryman and Horton exited the program - two reserves a year ago that expected to make contributions this year. So we have a Coach from Lehigh, Billy Taylor that has had about two months with this team and is still getting used to his personnel. Ball State took it on the chin at home against Butler in their opener, they were never even in the game, so expect more of the same here.

EaglesPhan36

EARLY THURS. PLAY 11/15

11:30am ET Tip

Miami(Fl) -7.5 vs. Marist [San Juan Shootout]

While Miami may have trouble matching up in the competitive ACC, they should be too much for Marist in the 2nd game for both squads. Marist is having to replace close to 50 pts per game from last season due to graduation. Miami is bringing back most of last season's players and many consider this to be Frank Haith's best team at Miami. Jack McClinton should be the main threat in the back court with Brian Asbury carrying the scoring load up front. Anthony King returns at C after missing time due to injury for Miami which should give them a big edge defensively and on the boards. Miami seems too talented to falter against a rebuilding Marist squad and should be able to push away in the 2nd half to cover this #.

Result: (W) Miami wins 85-61
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-15-07 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

THURS 11/15 PLAY

5:00pm ET Tip

College of Charleston +15 vs. Arkansas at San Juan Shootout

This game is interesting to me as the 18th ranked Razorbacks get their 2nd game under new coach John Pelphrey. Arkansas was somewhat flat in their opener vs. Wofford, winning 67-45 but trailing early in the 2nd half. Arkansas does bring back its top 9 scorers from last season, including sophmore John Beverley who led the team in scoring last season. The Hogs will need to improve greatly from their 1st game where they were a horrid 3 of 18 from 3 pt. land.

Charleston meanwhile is reloading from last year's squad which played well for first year coach Bobby Cremins. Only two starters return for the Coogs, guards Marcus Hammond and Tony White, Jr. Charleston though does have talented newcomers led by former Georgia State 4-a Player of the Year, Andrew Goudelock who busted out with 27 pts in his debut with Charleston, a 98-91 OT loss to UNC-Wilmington. Jermaine Johnson brings Charleston a low post presence, scoring 19 pts and grabbing 9 boards vs. Wilmington. He'll need to come up big along with Dustin Scott to off-set Arkansas' size down low. All in all, I believe Charleston's reliance on the 3 ball can help keep them relatively close in this game if they remain fairly hot from downtown. Arkansas should get progressively better as the season moves on, but they could find the going a bit tougher than expected early on. That's what I'm banking on today with CofC slipping in under the #.

Result: (L) Arkansas wins 75-49
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-16-07 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added Result

bigboydan

I took Charleston today myself, and I'm just hoping they don't totally fall apart in the 2nd half for us Mr.Eagles.

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I took Charleston today myself, and I'm just hoping they don't totally fall apart in the 2nd half for us Mr.Eagles.
    I took the over 70.5 2nd half...scoring picked up the last 10 minutes...hope you guys win...

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post

I was at a bar last night and I kept looking for the score on the ESPN ticker. Unfortunately you were correct about the collapse.

YTD 5-5 (-0.10 units)

EaglesPhan36

EARLY FRI. 11/16 PLAY

12:00pm ET Tip

Cleveland St. vs Georgia Southern OVER 134.5

I like the total to push past this # today as these two teams meet in Daytona, Florida at the George Wilkes Classic. It's a bit hard to gauge their play based on their initial games this season, unless you dig deep into the #s. Cleveland State's totals have been set in the mid 120s vs. George Mason and S.Florida. They went over vs. SFL and under vs. Mason. Georgia Southern had their first total vs. Florida St. set at 142.5 and eclipsed that in a 92-67 loss. So you say to yourself, why the hell do you like the over?

Well, I throw out the Mason game because GM plays solid defense and a slower style. So in looking at Cleveland St. vs. S.Fla, I think we get a bit more of an indicator on their style. 24 of 55 from the floor, 4 of 16 beyond the arc. Not great, but they got to the FT line 25 times. They'll need to do more of that today to push this total. As for Georgia Southern, they hoisted up 75 attempts from the floor vs. FSU. Gotta love that, but they'll need to do better than hitting 36% from the floor and a pathetic 3 of 21 from distance. Southern did send FSU to the FT line 35 times, which could bode well for Cleveland State to rebound with more FT attempts in this one.

In summation, I'm hoping for a more even offensive performance from Georgia Southern (3 returning starters) and considering they scored 67 pts in their opener on a bad offensive day, that could yield 70+ pts. Cleveland State seems willing to play to the tempo of their opponent through their first two and I am hoping that will be an up tempo game. Georgia Southern guard Dwayne Foreman must have a good game for this to hit the over in my opinion. He was 0 for 10 beyond the arc in the opener.

Result: (W) Ga.Southern wins 72-70, Total Pts = 142
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-16-07 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added Result

paul Mordeeb
    paul Mordeeb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Talk about a scoreing drought.....Like 3 points in 5 minutes in the midsecond halve.....Lets see if we can get some fouls in the last 4 minutes here to get that over!!!!

EaglesPhan36

It was dicey, but ca$hed that sucker!

YTD 6-5 (+0.90 units)

Back in the black!
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-16-07 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Updated YTD

EaglesPhan36

FRI. 11/16 PLAY

3:30 ET Tip

Illinois-Chicago +4 vs. Winthrop

Almost too late for a write-up, but in looking at the early season for both teams - Ill-Chicago has already beaten a team in Bradley that was expected to contend in a more dangerous Missouri Valley Conference. Winthrop struggled in their 1st game vs. Queens College. Can't see this as more than a pick 'em game.

Taking Ill-Chicago +4 for a unit and the ML (+155) for half a unit.

Result: (L) 72-58 Winthrop wins

YTD 6-6 (-.70 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-16-07 at 04:40 PM.

EaglesPhan36

FRI 11/16 NIGHT PLAYS

8pm ET Tip

Arkansas State @ Tulsa OVER 133.5

This total seems just a bit low, so I'll bite. Tulsa with their first home game of the season should come out and put up decent #s vs. what looks to be a poor Arkansas State defense. Ark.St gave up 51% FG and 44% 3pt FG shooting in a 4 pt loss to Utah State. Tulsa comes into this one fresh off an 83-66 thumping of North Florida, featuring a 59% shooting night from the floor, 7 of 16 from distance. That put behind a poor effort vs. Hampton in their opener. If they can hit anywhere near that level again from the floor, they should be good for close to 80 pts. That will put the onus on Arkansas State to hit somewhere near 60 pts I believe to squeak out an over. Arkansas State has some capable scorers including Adrian Banks who had 25 in the opener. If they can hit some 3s early and build some confidence, the over seems like a good play. 3s will be a big part of the cover here if it works out.

Result: (W) Tulsa wins 75-59, Total Pts = 134

8:15 ET Tip

Florida State vs. UAB OVER 143

This one will be close to the # I believe, but I think with two teams that like to run, they can get over this set total. FSU comes into this contest having hit for 92 and 81 pts in its first two games. UAB has scored 86 in both of their first two games. Certainly, both teams will face a better quality opponent this time out, but I believe the offense will still shine pretty well. Robert Vaden (IU transfer) has been awesome for UAB thus far, hitting 11 3s in his first two contests. Add in Paul Delaney, Reggie Huffman and Walter Sharpe and this team has four guys capable of double digits on any night. For FSU, Isaiah Swann is the mad bomber. He's made 8 3s in two games and has hit for 25 and 15 respectively. Toney Douglas gives FSU another explosive scorer who will need to be solid to push this total over 143.

Result: (W) FSU wins 78-70, Total Pts = 148

YTD 8-6 (+1.30 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-16-07 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added Results

EaglesPhan36

MIDNIGHT DEGENERATE SPECIAL 11/15-16

1:00am ET/12:00am CT Tip

Illinois vs. Hawaii OVER 126 at the Maui Invitational

This one intrigued me and hey, I'll admit I wanted the last action of the night/first of Saturday depending on how you shake it out. There's certainly a perceived contrast of styles in this with Illinois bringing what many expect, a hard nosed, gritty Big 10 team that probably isn't gonna light up the scoreboard on many a night. Hawaii meanwhile seems ready to push the tempo and hoist 3s a bit more under new coach Bob Nash. The Warriors now utilize the 3 ball, attempting 20 in their season opening 73-72 defeat to San Diego. That's a stark contrast to last season when Hawaii chucked up on average ONLY about 6 3 pt attempts per contest. If Hawaii is going to score against the Illini, the backcourt is key. Leading returning scorer Bobby Nash leads the charge (22 pts in Game 1), but Hawaii could again be without senior Matt Gibson (knee) who averaged 10+ pts per game last season. Still this team managed 72 pts on 38% shooting, so you have to like that they keep chucking shots up even when they aren't hitting. Illinois scored just 63 points in their season opener, a 63-55 win over Northeastern ... BUT they exploded with 41 2nd half pts after a lackluster 22 pt. 1st half. Brian Randle and Shawn Pruitt were the only Illini players in double figures with 14 and 12 respectively. If the Illini are to help push the over in this one, they'll need someone to hit from outside to compliment those two inside guys. They were just 3 of 15 beyond the arc in Game 1 with Trent Meacham hitting 2 of those 3s. Hawaii's D was not great in their opener, so Illinois should do better than their last effort. I believe this game can push pass the # with the young Illini perhaps more willing to push the tempo in a non-conference early season affair on the road. If Hawaii can hit some outside shots, that would help as well.

Result: (W) Illinois wins 79-77, Total Pts = 156

YTD 9-6 (+2.30 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-17-07 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added Result

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

i got the tie today in the tulsa , thanx for the other two overs

EaglesPhan36

SAT PLAYS 11/17

6pm ET Tip

Florida State vs. Cleveland State OVER 142

These two meet at the Glen Wilkes Classic in Dayton, Fl. The Seminoles have been on a scoring frenzy to begin their season with their low total coming last night at 78 pts vs. UAB. Isaiah Swann continues to impress for FSU as he dropped 28 pts last night and looks to be a real threat in the backcourt averaging close to 23 ppg. Toney Douglas and Jason Rich will need to continue to provide double digit pt. support to push this above the # tonight. Cleveland State again appears willing to play to the tempo of their opponent having lost to a more up tempo Ga.Southern squad 72-70 and defeating another team willing to run in South Florida 73-70. Guard Cedric Jackson will be the important factor in keeping the Vikings up temp woth FSU as he averages 20 pts per game. As long as Cleveland State doesn't mind running, this one should slip past the # if FSU continues its excellent play on offense.

Result: (L) Cleveland St. wins 69-66, Total Pts = 135

7pm ET Tip

James Madison @ Dartmouth OVER 141

I think this one is a hidden gem to hit the over as most people disregard Ivy League schools when it comes totals. The misconception usually being that the under is a good play in most games. Looking at this one, James Madison scorched Siena in their opener with a 100-88 win. JMU won't reach that level again, shooting almost 65% from the floor in that one, but they showed that they can fill it up and aren't afraid to run which is a great scenario for an over. Juwann James led the Dukes with 20 pts and they were a red hot 50% from beyond the arc, 11 of 22 with Kyle Swanston hitting three of those. On the other side, Dartmouth appears to be content to play to the style of their opponent. Slowing it down in a 67-38 loss to Air Force, but then running and gunning against one of last year's top scoring teams VMI in a 98-87 win. Dartmouth is not a great 3 pt. shooting team, going at a 28% clip there in 2 games, but they do possess some good low post players who should get some easy scores in this one. Alex Barnett had 19 pts and 15 boards in the VMI win and he should do well again. If Dartmouth can find a decent outside stroke and JMU continues to run & gun, this should get past the #.

Result: (L) James Madison wins 72-57, Total Pts = 129

9pm ET Tip

Duquesne -7 at Rice UNDER 171.5

A double pick for this game. Plain and simple, Rice is not a good basketball team. They were blown out by a very average TCU squad 76-49 in their opener. Rice was dominated in all aspects, shooting a pitiful 24% from the floor and getting out rebounded 59-34. Rice's main problem this season will be scoring. They have to replace all-everything player Morris Almond who averaged 20+ pts. Duquesne meanwhile will have no such problems scoring. The Dukes have lit up the scoreboard in their first two games, with 129 pts and 93 pts. Duquesne is shooting almost 60% from the floor and 39% from beyond the arc. Pick your poison as to which player will beat you on this team. Kieron Achara leads with 20 ppg but Damian Saunders can beat you (5 of 8 3s) or Phillip Fayne who had 15 pts in their last game. The point is that Duquesne has too mcuh talent for a rebuilding Rice squad, so I like them to cover. For the total, it takes two to tango. Duquesne is going to score and score often, but Rice did limit TCU to 37% shooting from the floor and I expect them to try their best to slow the tempo somewhat. So while Duquesne likely will hit anywhere from 80 to 90+ points, I have serious doubts that Rice is going to get the 70+ pts needed to accomodate an over. I'd say get this # early if you like the under because it will likely drop some.

Results: (WW) Duquesne wins 86-59, Total Pts = 145

YTD 11-8 (+2.10 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-17-07 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added Results

EaglesPhan36

DEGENERATE SPECIAL 11/16

11:59pm ET Tip

Portland State vs. Akron UNDER 140.5

Ah yes, one more chance to make or lose some $$$. This one looks to have the makings of a potential yawner with a total that seems a tad high to me. In looking at Portland State, they did surprisingly score 75 in a 2 pt. win vs. IUPUI. However, I think for the purposes of this game - we should look back at their performance vs. UCLA. Yes, Akron will never be mistaken for even the A in UCLA, but from a defensive standpoint ... that game offers some insight for tonight. UCLA - as solid a defensive squad as you might find - shut down Portland State in a 69-48 win with the Vikings shooting just over 33% from the floor. Contrastly, they hit almost 60% in their win over IUPUI, a team that pushes the tempo more-so than UCLA.

[IUPUI beat SC-Spartanburg 80-54 today]

On the other side, Akron is a defensive minded team and from the looks of their first game, an offensively challenged one as well. The Zips scored just 64 in their win over SC-Spartanburg. That game did start strong with 67 points combined in the 1st half, but both squads fell off for a 57 pt. 2nd half. Akron also struggled at the FT line, just 15 of 30 which is always helpful to keeping the total under the #. This one will be dicey at times, but I think defense prevails.

Result: (W) Portland St. wins 66-63, Total Pts = 129

YTD 12-8 (+3.10 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-18-07 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added Result

EaglesPhan36

SUN 11/18

12pm ET Tip

Cleveland State -5.5 vs. Florida Atlantic

Another game at the Glenn Wilkes Classic in Daytona, Florida. Color me impressed by Cleveland State's OT win over Florida State last night, 69-66. The Vikings shut down what had been a previously red hot offense, especially FSU's Isaiah Swann who had been averaging 22 ppg. He finished with just 11. For the Vikings, St.John's transfer Cedric Johnson continues to be the main man. He led all scorers with 27. Cleveland State's interior continues to be well repped with J'Nathan Bullock doing damage. He had 19 pts. In their opener in this tournament, State squandered a lead late losing to Georgia Southern 72-70. On the other side, Florida Atlantic is scuffling. A 1-3 start and they got demolished by a pretty poor South Florida club 100-69 last night. The same S.Florida team that Cleveland State beat 73-70. The Owls allowed S.Fla to shoot 58% from the floor and 48% from behind the arc. This was a S.Fla team that was averaging about 69 pts ppg before last night's offensive outburst.

To sum this one up, Cleveland State's defense has been pretty tough thus far. They've held teams to 41% FG shooting. Florida Atlantic has only sniffed close to 50% from the floor once, not so coincidentally in their lone win vs. Stetson. A game won by only 6 pts despite Stetson shooting under 25% from the field! I do believe State may have a bit of a let down early perhaps from the excitement of last night's OT win and they will need a better shooting day from the field than they showed last night, but if both teams play close to early season form - Cleveland State should have enough to slip past the # and get the cover.

Note that I bought half a point in this one, so it's -120 for me. Just a hunch.

Result: (W) Cleveland State wins 76-66
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-18-07 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added Result

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    SUN 11/18

12pm ET Tip

Cleveland State -5.5 vs. Florida Atlantic

Another game at the Glenn Wilkes Classic in Daytona, Florida. Color me impressed by Cleveland State's OT win over Florida State last night, 69-66. The Vikings shut down what had been a previously red hot offense, especially FSU's Isaiah Swann who had been averaging 22 ppg. He finished with just 11. For the Vikings, St.John's transfer Cedric Johnson continues to be the main man. He led all scorers with 27. Cleveland State's interior continues to be well repped with J'Nathan Bullock doing damage. He had 19 pts. In their opener in this tournament, State squandered a lead late losing to Georgia Southern 72-70. On the other side, Florida Atlantic is scuffling. A 1-3 start and they got demolished by a pretty poor South Florida club 100-69 last night. The same S.Florida team that Cleveland State beat 73-70. The Owls allowed S.Fla to shoot 58% from the floor and 48% from behind the arc. This was a S.Fla team that was averaging about 69 pts ppg before last night's offensive outburst.

To sum this one up, Cleveland State's defense has been pretty tough thus far. They've held teams to 41% FG shooting. Florida Atlantic has only sniffed close to 50% from the floor once, not so coincidentally in their lone win vs. Stetson. A game won by only 6 pts despite Stetson shooting under 25% from the field! I do believe State may have a bit of a let down early perhaps from the excitement of last night's OT win and they will need a better shooting day from the field than they showed last night, but if both teams play close to early season form - Cleveland State should have enough to slip past the # and get the cover.

Note that I bought half a point in this one, so it's -120 for me. Just a hunch.
    I took the 1H -3 on this game. I also have a 1H +3 for Marist to warm up for the football games later.

EaglesPhan36

Man too bad you didn't take Marist in the 2nd half. They've been killing Temple. Cleveland State 1st half bet lookin' pretty solid.

EaglesPhan36

SUN 11/18 PLAY

2:00pm ET Tip

Old Dominion @ Clemson OVER 130

This one will be a clash of styles. ODU would prefer a slower, defensive minded game while Clemson will look to push the tempo. ODU has averaged 65 ppg in its two wins. Clemson meanwhile has averaged 87.5 ppg in its two wins. These two teams - although both with facelifts this season - did play last year with the total hitting 144 on ODU's homecourt. What I like about the over is that Clemson should have the tempo in their favor playing at home and in their last game despite hitting below 40% from the floor, the Tigers were able to pump in 84 pts. Mainly thanks to 38 trips to the FT line. Look for Clemson's outside shooters to heave their share of 3s including Terrence Oglesby and KC Rivers who both had three 3s in their last game. James May should have a solid game down low. For ODU, they'll need to find more offense to get over this # for sure. Abdi Lidonde, Brandon Johnson and Brian Henderson are the ones to watch. Johnson had a monster game vs. Toledo with 9 pts, 10 boards, 9 ast and five steals. Look for turnovers to help lead to some easy buckets for both sides to hopefully clear the #.

Result: (L) Clemson wins 66-53, Total Pts = 119

YTD 13-9 (+2.20 units)
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-18-07 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added Result

123 Last