lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Is it Mandatory for Lebron to win the title this upcoming season?

I just want to get a feel on how folks think around here. I would say with the team Miami has assembled it would be mandatory to get to the finals at bare minimum. Realistically i doubt a NBA team has ever had 2 players of the calibre of Lebron and Wade and i would expect that to mean alot. So what you folks think? Does he have to win this year or does he need another year or two?

kobefanatic
    kobefanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5086

of course he should at least reach the finals, if not

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

no, he will not die if they don't win

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

IF you have something to add then go ahead but if you dont then dont bother.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7894

the heat have an obligation to deliver a title this year after the hour long lebron show on espn. that is the all time worst decision in sports history. yes, he will live to breathe another day, but the backlash from the media and the general public will be unprecedented.

eberetta1
    Win some cha-ching
    eberetta1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12623

Not necessary to win a championship. I figure he could could end up a Dan Marino and play for 15 years with no ring. At least he has only played 7 years and will have better results the next 7 years towards his elusive goal of a championship.

texhooper

it's actually almost mandatory for their own sanity that they don't even have a bad stretch at any point in the season. i can't wait to see how everyone in the world freaks out after they lose two in a row. the media really could kill this team before the playoffs even hit. it's like when you move in with your best friend and then you have to move out because the two of you hate each other now. all it will take is a few questions about "lebron, why is wade still carrying this team?" or "dwayne, why have you stepped aside for lebron; isn't this still your team?" and shit like that before someone throws another playoff series. or if bosh starts fukking lebron's mom, we all know what will happen then.

kobefanatic

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    it's actually almost mandatory for their own sanity that they don't even have a bad stretch at any point in the season. i can't wait to see how everyone in the world freaks out after they lose two in a row. the media really could kill this team before the playoffs even hit. it's like when you move in with your best friend and then you have to move out because the two of you hate each other now. all it will take is a few questions about "lebron, why is wade still carrying this team?" or "dwayne, why have you stepped aside for lebron; isn't this still your team?" and shit like that before someone throws another playoff series. or if bosh starts fukking lebron's mom, we all know what will happen then.

kobefanatic

i think after what lebron said that they will win at least 6 o 7 rings it just added more pressure for them to win it this year

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

definitely,but he won't

tealish
    tealish's Avatar Become A Pro!

A finals appearance isn't enough. With that roster, he needs to WIN the title this year to remain in the "one of the greatest" conversations.

If not, he needs to win the next two/three to erase the memory of his failure in 2010-11, and his fleeing from Cleveland.

PlatinumBerg
    PlatinumBerg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

Winning Championships is an team effort. I would like to see who else is on their roster at the start of the season. Additionally, I think the egos will clash. Each of these guys used to be the superstar of their team, we will see how they work together.

kobefanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumBerg View Post
    Winning Championships is an team effort. I would like to see who else is on their roster at the start of the season. Additionally, I think the egos will clash. Each of these guys used to be the superstar of their team, we will see how they work together.
    spot on

tunaguitar76
    tunaguitar76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 895

On paper they should at least make the finals. I think the Lakers match up very well with them. They also have many of the intangibles a first year team cannot have. If cp3 goes to Orlando.. I could see taking a conference finals loss as well. I think by year two they will be in better position.. more time together, more time to find the right role players. I think all of the 72+ and a championship their first year is unrealistic. I hope it is a Heat vs. Lakers finals this year. Kobe is getting older, I'd like to see this match up before he starts to decline.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by tunaguitar76 View Post
    On paper they should at least make the finals. I think the Lakers match up very well with them. They also have many of the intangibles a first year team cannot have. If cp3 goes to Orlando.. I could see taking a conference finals loss as well. I think by year two they will be in better position.. more time together, more time to find the right role players. I think all of the 72+ and a championship their first year is unrealistic. I hope it is a Heat vs. Lakers finals this year. Kobe is getting older, I'd like to see this match up before he starts to decline.
    maybe but lebron will face an unprecedented media crucifixion if they don't win this year.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Lakerboy I hope you know the "square" pick is the Heat failing to win the championship. Everyone and their mom wants to come out and be a hero and say the Heat are not going to do anything. Just look at the threads in this forum bro. I can point out all the comments to you.

Anyway I agree that if the Heat don't win it all this year it is a failure. This is Wade and Lebron's prime we must remember that this is the year that they are still on Kobe's level, but 1 level above the Durants, Derron Willliams, and Carmellos. These guys will all continue to improve and once this year is over, teams will change more and more to compete with the Heat and it will be harder and harder to win.

I think the Heat will win back to back titles. That's why I was so happy when Kobe won this year. I know enough to see that the Lakers dynasty is going to regress from here until the next 10 years. Kobe will get to the finals at best now. Will people hate even more if he gets to the finals and loses?

The Lakers should have gone after Amare. They would have 3 peated. Gasol at the 5 and Bynum off the bench. That would be a true team to give Lebron and Wade a run for their money.

Defuzas
    Defuzas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

No doubt, I think first season is best chance to win the title together top3

Diesel79
    Diesel79's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14862

well.... if they make it to the finals and then lose to Lakers in 7 games.... I dont think that this experiment is described as a failure. Anything less is unacceptable...

Z_Wipf
    Z_Wipf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 275

It will be tough to live up to the hype the first year but Boston did it a few years back with a less impressive team. Only time will tell.

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Frankly no. This is their first year together. I think Miami can lose to 2 teams and get away with it. The Lakers and Boston. I'm putting the Lakers in their because they are the defending champs and frankly if anything is mandatory it's them winning 3 in a row. If they don't win, it would be an upset. The majority of people outside of Miami believe the Lakers, not the Heat will win the NBA championship. I'm putting Boston in their because they are the defending Eastern Conference Champions, they took the 2 time defending Champions to 7 games, and they did a good job of beating everyone in their way to the finals. I still think they have 1 more year in them.
    After this coming year, Miami needs to start winning championships. However, they need to win pretty close to 60+ games not to be the laughing stock of the league. I think they can at least do that..

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

unless injurys happen heat are expected to make and win the finals

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Hated won't even make to the conference finals.

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    I just want to get a feel on how folks think around here. I would say with the team Miami has assembled it would be mandatory to get to the finals at bare minimum. Realistically i doubt a NBA team has ever had 2 players of the calibre of Lebron and Wade and i would expect that to mean alot. So what you folks think? Does he have to win this year or does he need another year or two?
    I would say that the Heat HAVE to get to the NBA Finals. Now winning it is a completely different story.

People try to talk now as if the Heat have a superteam but fail to realize that the real superteam is the Lakers and the favorites to win it all IMO. Kobe has the best big man lineup in the NBA with Gasol/Bynum. Kobe also has one of the clutchest players in the NBA with Fisher. He's got one of the best defenders in the league with Artest that allows him to just hover around on defense and not cover anyone. He also has the best bench player in the league with Odom. O and he's got the best coach in the NBA with 11 championships with Phil Jackson.

The more I think about it the more I realize that all of Kobe's championship teams have been superteams. He had the best big man of all time in his prime when he won his first 3 with Shaq. He still had the best coach in the league back then with Phil. He had not one but two of the clutchest players ever with Fisher/Horry. I think he gets a little bit more credit than he deserves, no doubt in my mind that you put Wade on LeBron and all of Kobe's championship teams and that they would have just as many rings.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    I would say that the Heat HAVE to get to the NBA Finals. Now winning it is a completely different story. People try to talk now as if the Heat have a superteam but fail to realize that the real superteam is the Lakers and the favorites to win it all IMO. Kobe has the best big man lineup in the NBA with Gasol/Bynum. Kobe also has one of the clutchest players in the NBA with Fisher. He's got one of the best defenders in the league with Artest that allows him to just hover around on defense and not cover anyone. He also has the best bench player in the league with Odom. O and he's got the best coach in the NBA with 11 championships with Phil Jackson. The more I think about it the more I realize that all of Kobe's championship teams have been superteams. He had the best big man of all time in his prime when he won his first 3 with Shaq. He still had the best coach in the league back then with Phil. He had not one but two of the clutchest players ever with Fisher/Horry. I think he gets a little bit more credit than he deserves, no doubt in my mind that you put Wade on LeBron and all of Kobe's championship teams and that they would have just as many rings.
    1. Bryant won't be able to roam around against the Heat. He'll have to guard D Wade. Kobe is still a much better defender than Artest. Lebron will expose Artest, very slow on defense makes up for it with quick hands, the only reason he was a good cover on Pierce is because he knows his step back move and Pierce isn't explosive.

2. If you want to say that about Kobe, then credit can be taken away from Phil too. He's had 3 of the best players ever to play the game on his teams. He's had the two most skilled players of all time. If you gave Pop or Jerry Sloan those same players, could they win the same amount of rings as Phil?

3. Fisher and Horry were clutch because of opportunities that Kobe gave them. Having Kobe on the floor changes everything. All eyes are on Kobe for the last shot, always. Even if Fisher/Horry continue to make them, the only person teams fear is Kobe and his presence on the floor will give Fisher/Horry that extra 0.3 seconds to square up and get off a good shot usually. I wouldn't call these two the clutchest players that ever lived. That category is reserved for guys like Kobe and Jordan.

4. Lebron will never have as many rings as Kobe, no matter who you put on his teams. He will always have one less than Wade too.

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

1. Bryant won't be able to roam around against the Heat. He'll have to guard D Wade. Kobe is still a much better defender than Artest. Lebron will expose Artest, very slow on defense makes up for it with quick hands, the only reason he was a good cover on Pierce is because he knows his step back move and Pierce isn't explosive.

2. If you want to say that about Kobe, then credit can be taken away from Phil too. He's had 3 of the best players ever to play the game on his teams. He's had the two most skilled players of all time. If you gave Pop or Jerry Sloan those same players, could they win the same amount of rings as Phil?

3. Fisher and Horry were clutch because of opportunities that Kobe gave them. Having Kobe on the floor changes everything. All eyes are on Kobe for the last shot, always. Even if Fisher/Horry continue to make them, the only person teams fear is Kobe and his presence on the floor will give Fisher/Horry that extra 0.3 seconds to square up and get off a good shot usually. I wouldn't call these two the clutchest players that ever lived. That category is reserved for guys like Kobe and Jordan.

4. Lebron will never have as many rings as Kobe, no matter who you put on his teams. He will always have one less than Wade too.
    I agree with most of what you said except #3. Kobe did not provide the opportunity for these guys to come up huge. Think about all the big shots, the Derrick Fisher inbound pass crazy shot with like 0.4 seconds, Kobe did nothing there. The ball that just rolled to Horry and he picked up and stroked for 3 from the top of the key, nothing to do with Kobe. The layup Fisher had this year when he got knocked over for the and one, nothing to do with Kobe. These guys made these plays all by themselves, they took the opportunity. Kobe did not assist on any of them. Obviously Kobe and Jordan have made more big shots but think about the % of big shots that Fisher and Horry hit. It's hard to think of any times they came up short on a big shot.
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 07-25-10 at 03:17 PM.

kobefanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8
    kobe did have 2 guys on him at least it made fisher have a better chance to catch the ball

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by kobefanatic View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8
    kobe did have 2 guys on him at least it made fisher have a better chance to catch the ball
    Kobe did nothing. Fishers man stayed right on him the whole way and it was just an amazing shot by him.

Goat Milk

Kobe did nothing. Fishers man stayed right on him the whole way and it was just an amazing shot by him.
    If Kobe was never in the game, Fisher becomes the next clutch guy meaning 2-3 guys are watching him out of the inbounds at all times, and he would have never even had the opportunity to even catch the ball if Kobe wasn't in the game, let alone knock down the shot.

But it was a great shot I will give credit where its due. I just think Fisher gets too much credit for "big shots" It's not like the whole D is zeroing in on Fish Boy like they do Kobe when he has the ball in his hands towards the end of a game. Fisher never gets double teamed. When Kobe wasn't in the game against Denver this year Fisher went for the win against Mello for 3. No chance.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

The East is stacked....Boston/Magic/Heat should all be tough, but who knows how they'll stack up against the Lakers. I don't think the Heat have the big men to beat up on Bynum/Gasol/Odom/Mbenga. They still need a Legit Center to be able to contend.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    The East is stacked....Boston/Magic/Heat should all be tough, but who knows how they'll stack up against the Lakers. I don't think the Heat have the big men to beat up on Bynum/Gasol/Odom/Mbenga. They still need a Legit Center to be able to contend.
    No they don't.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    No they don't.

Chris Bosh is really going to guard Bynum and Gasol? At the same time? Ohhh yea Big Z will beat on them.

lolbear
    lolbear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10321

the rest of the team has filled in nicely, there's really no excuse to not win especially since the "big 3" has done it before

PlatinumBerg
    PlatinumBerg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

This is a bit of a "lose-lose" situation for the Heat even if they win the Championship. If they win, everyone will say that it is expected, however if they lose they will be ridiculed.

kobefanatic

i agree with the amazing shot by fishboy but the defense was focused on kobe for him to be able to catch that inbound pass

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post

Chris Bosh is really going to guard Bynum and Gasol? At the same time? Ohhh yea Big Z will beat on them.
    Yeah and Artest is going to guard Lebron

Haslem is one of the best low post defenders in the NBA if you haven't noticed and should be able to contain Gasol to his usual 20 10 and 5. Those will be his MAX stats in a 7 game series being played by Bosh/Haslem.

Bynum? Please man, don't get me started.

1234 Last