HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Anybody notice how much better the Lakers were without Kobe?

I did.

Much more efficient on offense. Nobody took more than 15 shots, and the offense actually ran the triangle offense. 6 players in double figures scoring.

And they beat the T-Blazers for the first time in 9-games.

There's enough talent on this team to win without Kobe for a long time.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7708

Exactly they arent a one man team like the cavs.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Exactly they arent a one man team like the cavs.
    Why does Kobe act like he is the only one on the team then?

Ego?
    Lack of Trust?

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Why does Kobe act like he is the only one on the team then?

Ego?
    Lack of Trust?
    I think he has a big ego but most NBA stars do. I think last year he willed them to a title but they have some very good players and when kobe commands double teams they are very hard to beat

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

I know they will need him for the playoffs, but in the regular season it seems like Kobe could rest his legs.

lakerboy

I know they will need him for the playoffs, but in the regular season it seems like Kobe could rest his legs.

Agreed i think he is going to shut it down for the next few games. He has played a lot of ball the last few years, some rest would do him and the team good.

Mybologne
    YUMMY!!!
    Mybologne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

because evertyhing revolves around kobe when he's in. when he's not every1 steps up.. they should step up with or without him. but they tend to get lazy when kobe's in.

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Why does Kobe act like he is the only one on the team then? Ego? Lack of Trust?
    Because he can carry the whole team on his back just like LeBron.
    Because he can create his own shot, and shoot from any spot on the court.
    Because he can elevate the team momentum.

Lets not kid yourself. This team won't get anywhere without Kobe. They can beat average teams without Kobe, but not elite teams. We can't blame Kobe's ego neither. After all, he is one of the best player that ever played the game. How many cappers in this forum have an ego after a hot streak?

By the way, I hate the Lakers

williams22
    williams22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not only did many Lakers put up better stats last night (to be expected when they have to pick up the slack from 22 shot attempts a game missing), but many of them truly played better. This is the core of why I hate Kobe. He is a detriment to his teammates at times. He is good enough that sometimes (more often than not) his abilities can overshadow this, but he doesn't make everyone around him better. Not only does his style of play affect his teammates, but his attitude has a negative effect as well.

In response to Houlihans question above, I think it is both an ego thing and a lack of trust in his teammates. I think the ego leads to the lack of trust.

The ball certainly moved a lot better for the Lakers last night.

That being said, I still don't think the Lakers are as deep as they need to be, and they need to address their PG issues soon. Hinrich would be a big help.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Lets see if I eyes deceive me.

Lakers -2.5 (minus Kobe) which is a plus to me.

williams22

I think Bynum being out may be the game-changer tonight.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

101-89 Lakers

w/o Kobe, and Bynum

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

101-89 Lakers

w/o Kobe, and Bynum

True, but man, the Spurs played dead after that first quarter. 55 points the rest of the way? Wow.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

They definitely should sit him for the next game, and that would be the case whether they played well or not tonight.

For me, tonight's game came down to Gasol having a monster game and the San Antonio offense not executing or hitting jump shots.

Gasol was more than just the MVP of the game tonight.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

The Laker's offense isn't as good with Kobe on the floor at times. They sometimes stand around watching Kobe instead of running the offense. Having Kobe is a blessing and a curse at times. He's their go to but it makes guy's like Artest and Odum tentative.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

5 Lakers in double figures

Gasol, and Odom both go for Double doubles.

Dont let people tell you that Odom is inconsistent, or not dependable. He plays when he get an ample amount of shots, and when he is allowed to flourish. He is a waste when the team doesnt look his way.

When Kobe is in Bynum/Gasol/Odom are relegated to getting put-backs.

I know Kobe is good, but who does he empower on the Lakers?

Gl to all
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave HoulihansTX 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

LeZog
    LeZog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Imagine if LeBron was running the show with Pau, Bynum, Artest, Odom. He might actually average a triple double on such a team. He would definitely average something like 24 points, 13 assists.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

And for the record I put Kobe as one of the top talents in the NBA all-time. Also I admire him changing his game over the summer, by learning how to score in the low post.

RaisyDaisy
    RaisyDaisy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Once Kobe gets healed up, he will be better. Don't forget with all that injuries, of course he can't shoot at a high clip. But teams will always put the extra eye on him to free up others.

williams22

5 Lakers in double figures

Gasol, and Odom both go for Double doubles.

Dont let people tell you that Odom is inconsistent, or not dependable. He plays when he get an ample amount of shots, and when he is allowed to flourish. He is a waste when the team doesnt look his way.

When Kobe is in Bynum/Gasol/Odom are relegated to getting put-backs.

I know Kobe is good, but who does he empower on the Lakers?

Gl to all
    Very well put. It's not that Kobe's not talented, it's that his talent doesn't enhance those around him. I still contest that Odom would have been an all-star in his prime if he didn't have to play in Kobe's shadow.
    Last edited by williams22; 02-09-10 at 01:10 AM.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by williams22 View Post
    Very well put. It's not that Kobe's not talented, it's that his talent doesn't enhance those around him. I still contest that Odom would have been and all-star in his prime is he didn't have to play in Kobe's shadow.
    Please.

tealish
    tealish's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's easy to hate Kobe, and it's fun to. I know, because I don't like the guy either and have only moved away from "hate" the last year or so. But let's not be silly -- cite this 2 game winning streak sans Kobe all you want...but the plain truth is that the Lakers unequivocally need Jellybean Jr if they want to contend for the title.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Please.
    You're welcome? It's true. The offense doesn't flow nearly as well with Kobe in the game sometimes. Kobe doesn't improve those around him near as much as he should.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by tealish View Post
    It's easy to hate Kobe, and it's fun to. I know, because I don't like the guy either and have only moved away from "hate" the last year or so. But let's not be silly -- cite this 2 game winning streak sans Kobe all you want...but the plain truth is that the Lakers unequivocally need Jellybean Jr if they want to contend for the title.
    Oh absolutely. No one would be dumb enough to argue that. I'm just saying that these games show that he does have certain negative effects as well.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

All I'm saying is that the Lakers are not dependent upon Kobe going for 30, in order to have success.

If you have a team that you can get efficient production out of 5 of yours guys, its way better than allowing one guy to dominant the ball.

Take Kobe away from the Lakers, and they are still a playoff team. Do they contend for a Championship? Mostly likely not, but they would still have a better chance than 80% of the League.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

I think if you take Kobe away that team is a contender. They have played GREAT together for 2 games, imagine after a few years. Very unselfish group. Lamar Odom is looking like the Old Lamar. He is very underrated, very versatile player.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Their is talent all over that team, but they get no shots.

williams22

Their is talent all over that team, but they get no shots.
    Definitely talent, although I would still say they are lacking big time at the point. Lamar can help make up for that somewhat though.

Ralphie1412

I dont think so, if Kobe had left Derrek Fisher has what it takes to run the point, and farmar is a great guy off the bench.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Funny how Artest wakes up from his grave once Kobe takes time off. Also Lamar has two productive games in a row, for the first time since joining the Lakers.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie1412 View Post
    I dont think so, if Kobe had left Derrek Fisher has what it takes to run the point, and farmar is a great guy off the bench.
    Derek Fisher is done, he shouldn't be starting. Farmar is okay, at best. However, when Kobe is the game the PG hardly matters since he dictates what happens.

I'm not surprised at all that Artest and Odom have played well lately. Definitely talented guys, they just barely get any plays ran for them with Kobe on the court.

By the way, I gotta think that the Lakers' recent success is eating at Kobe a little.

Ralphie1412

Clearly you hate lamar hahaha.....I have liked him since college and feel he isnt used properly.

williams22

Clearly you hate lamar hahaha.....I have liked him since college and feel he isnt used properly.
    I don't think Houli hates Lamar (could be wrong), he just never gets his proper share in LA. This is a guy who could have been an All-Star if put in the right situation.

Ralphie1412

Quote Originally Posted by williams22 View Post
    Derek Fisher is done, he shouldn't be starting. Farmar is okay, at best. However, when Kobe is the game the PG hardly matters since he dictates what happens.

I'm not surprised at all that Artest and Odom have played well lately. Definitely talented guys, they just barely get any plays ran for them with Kobe on the court.

By the way, I gotta think that the Lakers' recent success is eating at Kobe a little.
    Fisher isnt done, he was huge last year and he is BIG for them in ways people dont see. Watch next time kobe plays and misses 2 quick shots in a row without moving the ball around, fisher will bring the ball up and WILL NOT pass it to him, he will work the ball around. Fisher is a perfect guy to have with a guy like kobe.

williams22

Fisher isnt done, he was huge last year and he is BIG for them in ways people dont see. Watch next time kobe plays and misses 2 quick shots in a row without moving the ball around, fisher will bring the ball up and WILL NOT pass it to him, he will work the ball around. Fisher is a perfect guy to have with a guy like kobe.
    He's smart, no doubt about that, but he's a huge liability. He can't create for guys anymore and his age is catching up with him on defense. He would be a great backup, but I don't know about him starting.

1234 ... Last