goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Shaq hates the new ball

i haven't even held the new ball and it pissses me off too

greedy marketing f*ckers trying to fix something that ain't broke just to try to squeeze more money out but in the process f*cking something up

the way shaq describes it gives me a good idea cause i've played with similar basketballs and it is a real pain

MIAMI -- Heat center Shaquille O`Neal is no fan of the new basketballs to be used by the NBA this season, and isn`t afraid to say so.

``I think the new ball is terrible,`` O`Neal said Monday. ``It`s the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made. ... The NBA`s been around how long? A hundred years? Fifty years? So to change it now, whoever that person is needs his college degree revoked. It`s a terrible decision.``

It`s only the second time in 60 seasons the NBA has changed its game balls, and the first time in 35 years.

The new model, the league said in a release, ``is a microfiber composite with moisture management that provides superior grip and feel throughout the course of a game.``

O`Neal, along with many of his Heat teammates, strongly disagree.

``Feels like one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store, indoor-outdoor balls,`` O`Neal said. ``I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can`t really control it. Whoever did that needs to be fired. It was terrible, a terrible decision. Awful. I might get fined for saying that, but so what?``

ourbet
    ourbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

...I dunno who said it first but IMHO
    A bad workman always blames his tools.
    nuff said.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

They'll get used to it. Happens in soccer all the time. Nobody is ever happy with a change like that.

I like to know what the ball handlers think. Steve Nash especially, because Suns are the fastest team.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Man, I couldnt imagine Shaq's free throws getting any worse. Think he will start blaming the ball if it does?

Hell, there is no hope for Ben Wallace. He just cant his a free throw to save his life.

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Man, I couldnt imagine Shaq's free throws getting any worse. Think he will start blaming the ball if it does?

Hell, there is no hope for Ben Wallace. He just cant his a free throw to save his life.
    I was just going to say that, he can't friggin shoot anyways so whats the difference.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by goldengoat
    ``Feels like one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store, indoor-outdoor balls,`` O`Neal said. ``I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can`t really control it.
    Will the books adjust accordingly? Are Shaq's points even valid? Could be good early season cash on the totals.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

He just had to say that stuff in a press conference like he did. I was factoring in this one into my capping this year.

It's not so much that Shaq can't hit a freethrow at all. I was focusing on those 18 foot jumpers and 3 point type shots that would be missed during a game. I feel that could be a major advantage when it comes to over/unders.

psycho44
    psycho44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

it will be under the first few weeks as players get used to the new balls for sure.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Well, here comes Nash opening his mouth as well:

Nash: New balls 'extremely sticky'

Associated Press
    Oct. 3, 2006 11:07 PM

One day after Shaquille O'Neal complained about the new ball being used by the NBA, Suns guard Steve Nash added his name to the list of those not thrilled with it.

The two-time reigning league MVP said in a conference call from training camp in Italy on Tuesday that players are having a hard time. "It's a very difficult transition," Nash said. "I certainly won't have to lick my fingers. The ball sticks to your hand. It's a big transition. It's extremely sticky."

He said players are used to using the old ball's surface to make certain types of passes, as well as shooting. "All the players are having a real hard time making that transition," Nash said. "Hopefully, we'll find some common ground to normalcy and we'll get used to it. We do have a month to get it going. Right now I would say that the basketball sticks to the floor, it sticks to the backboard. It is different."

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Should Shaq be the one to lead the resistance? This is like an NFL defense complaining about the new football. He doesn't shoot jumpers and can't hit a free throw to save his life. If anything, we should see his rebounds and dunks go up as other players brick jumpers.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    Well, here comes Nash opening his mouth as well:
    Nash: New balls 'extremely sticky'

Associated Press
    Oct. 3, 2006 11:07 PM

One day after Shaquille O'Neal complained about the new ball being used by the NBA, Suns guard Steve Nash added his name to the list of those not thrilled with it.

The two-time reigning league MVP said in a conference call from training camp in Italy on Tuesday that players are having a hard time. "It's a very difficult transition," Nash said. "I certainly won't have to lick my fingers. The ball sticks to your hand. It's a big transition. It's extremely sticky."

He said players are used to using the old ball's surface to make certain types of passes, as well as shooting. "All the players are having a real hard time making that transition," Nash said. "Hopefully, we'll find some common ground to normalcy and we'll get used to it. We do have a month to get it going. Right now I would say that the basketball sticks to the floor, it sticks to the backboard. It is different."
    Summary: sticks to your hand, sticks to the floor, sticks to the backboard.

Meanwhile, halfway around the globe, O'Neal added: "I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can`t really control it."

I could be missing something, but is Shaq saying ... slippery?!!

ivyconniver
    ivyconniver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Composite balls that that are common in college, in fact they are the norm. They do change over the course of time, in the beginning of the year they are really tight and grippy, but as you use them more and more they get broken in and softer.

It's hard to explain, but anybody who's been around college ball will tell you the same.