Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Thunder +185 to win Game 2. Analysis.

The Spurs were fortunate to take that first game given how the game was playing out. When the game started to get close in the 4th quarter, Durant was getting pushed around by Stephen Jackson, and was barely able to get any shots off. He is obviously stronger than Durant. However, Durant will get the respect from the refs this game, and those touchy fouls will be called against SJax and Kawi Leonard. And the Spurs will get in the penalty in every quarter. Durant will score over 30 tonight and he'll be there in the 4th when the game gets tight. I wouldn't be surprised if Durant shot 15 free throws tonight.

Westbrook played out of control in game 1 as I predicted. His immaturity is the reason the Thunder won't beat the Heat in a series, even if they get to the finals. However, Tony Parker is really no match for Westbrook on the defensive end. Parker is much, much smaller, and less athletic, and even when Westbrook elevates for his midrange jumpers, Parker has no chance to affect his shot. I need to see Westbrook more in the post tonight.

That's why I think it's a mistake that Pop is not putting Danny Green more on Westbrook.

Parker is running Westbrook around a lot of pick and rolls which is part of the game plan to tire his legs out. However, Westbrook is playing over the pick because he knows if he goes under Parker knocks down the shot and he can go under and if Parker gets by he still has the speed to try and recover. Additionally Ibaka is sitting back there, so I think it has to be a point throughout this series to go over the screen as much as you can.

Duncan played as good as he could in game 1. Perkins and Ibaka are both going t check him throughout this series. One longer and more athletic, one stronger and more physical. The different defensive styles are going to bother Duncan just enough throughout this game in my opinion to force some illadvised shots. I don't expect much from those two on the offensive end. Hard screens, tip ins, etc.

Now the main matchup as I said before this series started would be Ginobli and James Harden. First off, Ginobli is definitely better then harden. BUT. This is where the coaching comes in. Harden has the advantage in this matchup only for this reason. Ginobli has to go against Sefalosha most of the time in this series, who is the best perimeter defender on the Thunder. Ginobli (most of the time) has to check Harden. So he is expending double the amount of energy, while Harden is stuck guarding a perimeter shooter. Harden's played terrible- the stats are misleading as he knocked down 2 threes in garbage time. He will have to play much better in this game.

I think it would be a mistake to take Sefalosha off Ginobli, because the Thunder will lose.

The Spurs turned the ball over a ton in the first half of game one, and that led to about 10 or 12 Thunder fast break points if I remember correctly. Now the second half, Spurs turned the ball over 3 times, and that's why they were able to walk away with the victory. However, even with so few turnovers, the Thunder were right in the game up until a few minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Analysts always say turnovers lead to fast break points. However, that is very misleading. The Spurs took around 25 threes in the first game. Those 3 misses are not a result of Spurs just missing the 3. They are a result of OKC being much longer, much more athletic, and much faster than the Spurs. They can rotate and close out faster, especially when they have their small line up in. Long 3's lead to long misses which lead to one quick pass and it's pretty much a layup. A long 3 miss and Westbrook or Durant rebound means that it's essentially a fast break anyway.

I think the Spurs will stick to their formula. Shooting 25 three pointers is going to give the Thunder a chance in this game. I don't care that they shoot 40% in the reg. season. This is the conference finals against a much more athletic and perimeter oriented team. YOUR ADVANTAGE IS NOT to shoot 3's.

If I'm a Spurs fan, I want to see a 7-16 or so from 3. Not 12-28. That's not gonna get it done.

THUNDER +185 to win game 2, Risking $200
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: okbyme123, and GoggsViggs

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

this is crazy EVERYONE is on the Thunder tonight
    we're all too sharp, too sharp for our own good ??
    getting scary !

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    this is crazy EVERYONE is on the Thunder tonight
    we're all too sharp, too sharp for our own good ??
    getting scary !
    Snowball you are crazy. Stop thinking Celtics are winning it all this year. lol.

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Snowball you are crazy. Stop thinking Celtics are winning it all this year. lol.
    I love this Celtics team but I am practical. You guys be practical too because the
    zebras could be fair tomorrow night, and the C's were coming off an emotional win
    on one day's rest while the Heat had three. What about that Second Quarter ?

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

The most important point you make is the threes. If the spurs get 3-happy it leads to long rebounds and fast break opportunities for the Thunder. However, if the Spurs spread out OKC then it leaves holes for Ginobili/Parker to penetrate.

The Thunder have a decision to make with Ibaka. They need his weak-side shot-blocking and ability to protect the rim but San Antonio will try to draw him out with Duncan/Diaw. You don't want to play zone against SAS so Ibaka may need to concede some the 15 foot jumpers to Duncan in order to allow himself to stay home.

Goat Milk

I love this Celtics team but I am practical. You guys be practical too because the
    zebras could be fair tomorrow night, and the C's were coming off an emotional win
    on one day's rest while the Heat had three. What about that Second Quarter ?
    I knew from t would be heat and celtics in the conf finals i said it in many threads but that second quarter was just a clinic by the celts and the heat not matching that intensity. If you're realistic you know for sure Boston is winning 2 games at most. I say 1 game.

Having Ray Allen chase around Wade with bone spurs? I lost a lot of respect for Rivers. How is a guy with that injury gonna be asked to chase Dwayne and then knock down shots and run around screens offensively. What an idiotic move. Pietrus should be guarding Wade as much as possible to let Allen save his movement for when it matters.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Good stuff overall, just how the hell is 12-28 not good shooting from deep? It's 43%

nux4thecup
    nux4thecup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

I like it
    I'm playing OKC ML

Snowball

I'm with you on that Goat, and I put much of the blame for losing Avery Bradley
    on Doc also, because he put Bradley BACK IN THE GAME after his shoulder popped
    out again. That's why he's done for the season. I also think that Pierce and Rondo
    should be separated, one should be on the 2nd unit, because the team does very
    well when Pierce runs the offense. When he's out there with Rondo, he's often standing
    around waiting to see if Rondo will involve him.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    The most important point you make is the threes. If the spurs get 3-happy it leads to long rebounds and fast break opportunities for the Thunder. However, if the Spurs spread out OKC then it leaves holes for Ginobili/Parker to penetrate.

The Thunder have a decision to make with Ibaka. They need his weak-side shot-blocking and ability to protect the rim but San Antonio will try to draw him out with Duncan/Diaw. You don't want to play zone against SAS so Ibaka may need to concede some the 15 foot jumpers to Duncan in order to allow himself to stay home.
    Yeah. I also think though that Ibaka should stay home on Duncan when in the paint and let Parker get to the rim because Westbrook has such good recover speed that if Parker is going all the way for a layup and not a floater, there's still a chance you can affect the shot somewhat. But yeah let's see how they react tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Good stuff overall, just how the hell is 12-28 not good shooting from deep? It's 43%
    Yes Seto. That was my point. While it's a good percentage, those 16 misses are probably long rebounds. If Durant, Westbrook or Harden get any of those long rebounds it's a fast break bucket pretty much because there's no wasting time giving it to someone that can push the ball. They can each handle the rock.

If the Spurs want to shoot the 3, I think Diaw and Duncan have to play back and not pack in the paint for offensive rebounds--or at least pick their spots when they do.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Yes Seto. That was my point. While it's a good percentage, those 16 misses are probably long rebounds. If Durant, Westbrook or Harden get any of those long rebounds it's a fast break bucket pretty much because there's no wasting time giving it to someone that can push the ball. They can each handle the rock.

If the Spurs want to shoot the 3, I think Diaw and Duncan have to play back and not pack in the paint for offensive rebounds--or at least pick their spots when they do.
    I agree but I still think any coach would be happy if his team shot 12-28 from deep in a playoff game. Still, you do have a point that the Spurs are better off slowing the game up than letting the Thunder run, especially as they defended them very well in the halfcourt imo

Goat Milk

I'm with you on that Goat, and I put much of the blame for losing Avery Bradley
    on Doc also, because he put Bradley BACK IN THE GAME after his shoulder popped
    out again. That's why he's done for the season. I also think that Pierce and Rondo
    should be separated, one should be on the 2nd unit, because the team does very
    well when Pierce runs the offense. When he's out there with Rondo, he's often standing
    around waiting to see if Rondo will involve him.
    Yeah that was his fault too. Rivers is really good at making adjustments but horrible at using his bench. I agree with the Pierce and Rondo thing for sure. Neither one really needs each other. Pierce is way more comfortable playing Carmello style. I think he wants KG to take control of that 2nd unit, that's why he takes him out so early in the 1st q. It should be the other way around like you said. Take PIerce out early in the 1st with like 6 min left, let him play with the 2nd squad.

Snowball

Yeah that was his fault too. Rivers is really good at making adjustments but horrible at using his bench. I agree with the Pierce and Rondo thing for sure. Neither one really needs each other. Pierce is way more comfortable playing Carmello style. I think he wants KG to take control of that 2nd unit, that's why he takes him out so early in the 1st q. It should be the other way around like you said. Take PIerce out early in the 1st with like 6 min left, let him play with the 2nd squad.
    It's good to see you agree with me on this. It's something rarely ever mentioned. I think it impacts their personalities also because there seemed to be some resentment between them. Pierce felt like he was giving up control of this team's offense. it's given way to acceptance, but when Rondo
    is erratic I know it still infuriates him.
    Rondo really pisses me off sometimes. But when you need
    a really fast layup, he's the only guy who can make it happen.

Go Thunder... Spurs are due for a loss.

Squirrel Kokomo
    Squirrel Kokomo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

If I'm a Spurs fan, I want to see a 7-16 or so from 3. Not 12-28. That's not gonna get it done.

If I am absolutely draining 3s, and I know I will likely shoot around 12-28 if I keep hoisting, I will keep hoisting.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

OKC has a lot to build on with the smaller lineup but I'm not so sure that they will win both games in OKC.

Squirrel Kokomo
    Squirrel Kokomo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

The Spurs were fortunate to take that first game given how the game was playing out. When the game started to get close in the 4th quarter, Durant was getting pushed around by Stephen Jackson, and was barely able to get any shots off. He is obviously stronger than Durant. However, Durant will get the respect from the refs this game, and those touchy fouls will be called against SJax and Kawi Leonard. And the Spurs will get in the penalty in every quarter. Durant will score over 30 tonight and he'll be there in the 4th when the game gets tight. I wouldn't be surprised if Durant shot 15 free throws tonight.

Westbrook played out of control in game 1 as I predicted. His immaturity is the reason the Thunder won't beat the Heat in a series, even if they get to the finals. However, Tony Parker is really no match for Westbrook on the defensive end. Parker is much, much smaller, and less athletic, and even when Westbrook elevates for his midrange jumpers, Parker has no chance to affect his shot. I need to see Westbrook more in the post tonight.

That's why I think it's a mistake that Pop is not putting Danny Green more on Westbrook.

Parker is running Westbrook around a lot of pick and rolls which is part of the game plan to tire his legs out. However, Westbrook is playing over the pick because he knows if he goes under Parker knocks down the shot and he can go under and if Parker gets by he still has the speed to try and recover. Additionally Ibaka is sitting back there, so I think it has to be a point throughout this series to go over the screen as much as you can.

Duncan played as good as he could in game 1. Perkins and Ibaka are both going t check him throughout this series. One longer and more athletic, one stronger and more physical. The different defensive styles are going to bother Duncan just enough throughout this game in my opinion to force some illadvised shots. I don't expect much from those two on the offensive end. Hard screens, tip ins, etc.

Now the main matchup as I said before this series started would be Ginobli and James Harden. First off, Ginobli is definitely better then harden. BUT. This is where the coaching comes in. Harden has the advantage in this matchup only for this reason. Ginobli has to go against Sefalosha most of the time in this series, who is the best perimeter defender on the Thunder. Ginobli (most of the time) has to check Harden. So he is expending double the amount of energy, while Harden is stuck guarding a perimeter shooter. Harden's played terrible- the stats are misleading as he knocked down 2 threes in garbage time. He will have to play much better in this game.

I think it would be a mistake to take Sefalosha off Ginobli, because the Thunder will lose.

The Spurs turned the ball over a ton in the first half of game one, and that led to about 10 or 12 Thunder fast break points if I remember correctly. Now the second half, Spurs turned the ball over 3 times, and that's why they were able to walk away with the victory. However, even with so few turnovers, the Thunder were right in the game up until a few minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Analysts always say turnovers lead to fast break points. However, that is very misleading. The Spurs took around 25 threes in the first game. Those 3 misses are not a result of Spurs just missing the 3. They are a result of OKC being much longer, much more athletic, and much faster than the Spurs. They can rotate and close out faster, especially when they have their small line up in. Long 3's lead to long misses which lead to one quick pass and it's pretty much a layup. A long 3 miss and Westbrook or Durant rebound means that it's essentially a fast break anyway.

I think the Spurs will stick to their formula. Shooting 25 three pointers is going to give the Thunder a chance in this game. I don't care that they shoot 40% in the reg. season. This is the conference finals against a much more athletic and perimeter oriented team. YOUR ADVANTAGE IS NOT to shoot 3's.

THUNDER +185 to win game 2, Risking $200

Nice write-up