Mocknroll
    Mocknroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Another shrimp on the barbie

Hi all,

I have been lurking the forum for about a month and thought I would join the legion of Aussies who have been popping up.

My specialty is Australian Rules Football, but I have adapted well to the American sports during our Australian off-season, and did quite well during the NFL season, and am also doing pretty well in this (very unpredictable) NBA season.

I normally play single spread bets and dabble in smaller-stake parlays when my bankroll allows me. (Believe it or not, I hit today's 4-dog parlay for a fairly healthy payout)

You will have to excuse me if my spread terminology is a little out of whack at times as Australian books use a lot of different terms and phrases to those in Vegas.

Anyways, my picks for today's card are:

MIA @ WSH - WSH +12.5 (1x) - I don't see the Heat turning it on against a sub .500 team. It's not their style.
    BOS @ TOR - BOS -4.0 (1x) - Clearly the better team, and although they're on a b2b I think they will direct their anger over losing at home in OT towards the Raptors.
    OKC @ UTA - OKC -1.0 (1x) - Although Jazz are proving to be a good home team, the look on Durant and Westbrook's faces after last night's loss tells me that they won't want to lose 2 in a row. Reduce the turnovers and I think they win this one.
    CHI @ CHA - CHI 1H (4x) - These CHI 1H plays are winning me some big money at the moment. I don't see any reason why they don't wipe the floor with the Bobcats in the 1H and then (much to the delight of some on this board), Thibs might actually rest his starters. I will be waking up early AUS time to ensure Rose is starting. Might reduce the units if he isn't.

Best of luck to all, and here's to hopefully another Aussie bringing some international luck to the board.

Chozzdogg
    Chozzdogg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 522

Looking forward to the AFL picks
    Hopefully you get some winners, i'm liking Bulls 1H too but i'll also have to get up early to see if anything else looks good

Mocknroll

The NBA is an Australian sports-bettor's alarm clock.

razom4
    razom4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 354

Toronto not Boston!

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

I thought you called them prawns.

sumwon
    sumwon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 199

Hey Mocknroll, how good is the AFL to bet on aye! Collingwood and Geelong pulled me all the way through 2011!

I'm more of an NRL kinda person though =)

Mocknroll

We do call them prawns. That's the whole reason that quote is so funny.

And Sumwon, Geelong and Collingwood were good to me too last year. I had Collingwood for 20/23 games. The only time I went against them was when they played Geelong. Needless to say I hit 23/23 for all the Collingwood games. Cannot wait to make some much larger plays this season.

sumwon
    sumwon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 199

Quote Originally Posted by Mocknroll View Post
    We do call them prawns. That's the whole reason that quote is so funny.

And Sumwon, Geelong and Collingwood were good to me too last year. I had Collingwood for 20/23 games. The only time I went against them was when they played Geelong. Needless to say I hit 23/23 for all the Collingwood games. Cannot wait to make some much larger plays this season.
    Well I definitely hope you post your plays! Will definitely be sure to tail you for AFL =)

ugabooga
    ugabooga's Avatar Become A Pro!

Arent shrimps and prawns completely different animals?

Bol of luck with your thread...and go the mighty Bombers!!

therealdealau
    therealdealau's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1069

hey mate hope your thread keeps going

love the okc play

UP THE DOCKERS

Mocknroll

MIA @ WSH - WSH +12.5 (1x)
    BOS @ TOR - BOS -4.0 (1x)
    OKC @ UTA - OKC -1.0 (1x)
    CHI @ CHA - CHI 1H (4x)
    2-2 +3 units

Mocknroll

Quote Originally Posted by therealdealau View Post
    hey mate hope your thread keeps going

love the okc play

UP THE DOCKERS
    Thanks mate,

You've been killing it in your thread. Good to see a fellow Perth native doing well (even if you do support the Dockers). Haha.

hangtime
    hangtime's Avatar Become A Pro!

go swannies!

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Imagine if NZ entered an AFL team....We would destroy you guys

Mocknroll

Provided of course they changed the rules so you were only allowed to run in a straight line and you scored an extra point for saying the words cuzzy or bro while kicking a goal.

hawley

Good point...plus I guess it would be greedy to be the best in the world at Rugby, Rugby league and AFL.

aussieH
    Update your status
    aussieH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7720

Good luck with the thread. When AFL rocks around we should combine a thread with a bunch of us. I normally do well on AFL as well.

hawley

Quote Originally Posted by aussieH View Post
    Good luck with the thread. When AFL rocks around we should combine a thread with a bunch of us. I normally do well on AFL as well.
    AFL threads in the "more sports" forum. check it out if you haven't.

aussieH
    Update your status

Never really ventured in there but will give a shot. NAB cup starting up soon.

MJT1212
    ECU Pirates
    MJT1212's Avatar Become A Pro!

Shrimp and prawns
    While in biological terms shrimps and prawns belong to different suborders of Decapoda, they are very similar in appearance. In commercial farming and fisheries, the terms "shrimp" and "prawn" are often used interchangeably. However, recent aquaculture literature increasingly uses the term "prawn" only for the freshwater forms of palaemonids and "shrimp" for the marine penaeids.[3]
    In the United Kingdom, the word "prawn" is more common on menus than "shrimp", while the opposite is the case in North America. The term "prawn" is also loosely used to describe any large shrimp, especially those that come 15 (or fewer) to the pound (such as "king prawns", yet sometimes known as "jumbo shrimp"). Australia and some other Commonwealth nations follow this British usage to an even greater extent, using the word "prawn" almost exclusively. When Australian comedian Paul Hogan used the phrase, "I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you" in an American television advertisement,[4] it was intended to make what he was saying easier for his American audience to understand, and was thus a deliberate distortion of what an Australian would typically say.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 07-25-14 at 09:35 AM.

Mocknroll

LAC @ CHA - LAC 1H (x4)
    PORT @ DAL - DAL -4 (x2)
    NYK @ MIN - NYK +6.5 (x1)
    DEN @ IND - IND -3 (x1)

Best of luck to all.

Mocknroll

LAC @ CHA - LAC 1H (x4)
    PORT @ DAL - DAL -4 (x2)
    NYK @ MIN - NYK +6.5 (x1)
    DEN @ IND - IND -3 (x1)

Best of luck to all.
    4-4 +4.2 units
    Last edited by Mocknroll; 02-12-12 at 03:49 AM.

therealdealau
    therealdealau's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1069

Thanks mate, You've been killing it in your thread. Good to see a fellow Perth native doing well (even if you do support the Dockers). Haha.
    Haha, I won't hold anything against you West Coast supporter Derby's should be a cracker this year....good cash on your 4 unit play today well done.

Mocknroll

I've felt really good about both of my 4 unit plays, despite there seeming to be a flurry of worried "sharps" questioning the LAC line movement today. I had a killer week last week so these units are double what I normally play. Stoked to be picking up essentially 8 of last weeks units on my two main plays. I may end up ditching making any other side plays and sticking to my strongest of each card.

And my condolences to you and the rest of the Dockers supporters on picking up Ross Lyon during the off-season. Terrible news. Haha.

Chozzdogg
    Chozzdogg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 522

I look forward to copping a nice amount of shit in this AFL thread during the year for being a crows fan!

Mocknroll

I don't mind the Crows. You've got a pretty good young squad. Should be interesting to combine our AFL superpowers this season.

cp390hdog
    cp390hdog's Avatar Become A Pro!

you should be perfect...arent you a day ahead of us??

ugabooga
    ugabooga's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yep afl thread should see alot of action this year, can't wait.

I only recently found out that the nab cup won't be on free to air (i have foxtel anyway)...that's pretty f'ed for those that don't.

Mocknroll

I made the move to Foxtel last year mainly because ONE HD tried to pretend they were never an exclusive sports channel and were not showing NBA playoffs. Does suck for those with only free to air.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

not bein a dick, but ur down .25-.5 units in juice depending if you bet -105 or -110...only mentioning it in case you are keeping an accurate record

Mocknroll

Thanks for that,

I have no idea what -105 etc means. (feel free to explain if you have time)
    Australian books use different terms. Spread odds are set at $1.92 with the book I use.

I am using my book account to keep a more accurate record of winnings, but I will adjust on here as well.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 07-25-14 at 09:35 AM.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

-110 would mean 1.1 units wins 1 unit (bet 110 to win 100). it is standard on most books, although many offer -105, which would mean bet 105 to win 100.

radelaide89
    radelaide89's Avatar Become A Pro!

been pretty hit and miss with the nba this year just recently been picking it up a bit. Cant wait for the AFL season to start as thats usually where i make most of my money

Mocknroll

OK, I sort of get what you mean.

I have just altered my stats from +5 units to +4.2 units. I'm pretty sure that this is calculated correctly now. Units won (x) 1.92 (-) units lost.

I suppose the other way to calculate this would be there are 8 units in the 100 of juice. So you take units won (in my case 10) and subtract 10 x 0.08 (.8) and then subtract units lost.

Anyway, I think I still arrive at the correct unit count now.

Thanks for the help.

aussieH
    Update your status

Crazy American odds hey. What do you think of the lakers game total

12 Last