betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sundin to the Habs? - Words cannot describe.

The sickness I feel in my gut.

Don't get me wrong, Im happy to see the Leafs re-tooling the team and not very sad to see Sundin go.

The image of a once beloved Leaf CAPTAIN in a Montreal Canadiens jersey <spits> is sickening!

His popularity in Toronto will be zero should he become a Hab <spit> !

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36705

He has done everything he can for this franchise.

They in turn have done very little for him.

He deserves to go where he wants to go. The fact that he appears to not want to come back to the Leafs says all you need to know about the state of the Leaf franchise. Unfortunately the ill informed (not implying you BP) will turn on him instead of applauding what he's done during his career in Toronto.
    Last edited by cobra_king; 06-21-08 at 12:44 AM.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lets not forget the line of Steve Thomas-Mats Sundin-Jonas Hoglund. While Mats was in his prime.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    He has done everything he can for this franchise.

They in turn have done very little for him.

He deserves to go where he wants to go. The fact that he appears to not want to come back to the Leafs says all you need to know about the state of the Leaf franchise. Unfortunately the ill informed (not implying you BP) will turn on him instead of applauding what he's done during his career in Toronto.
    Totally agree Cobra!!!

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

While I can understand your frustration from a fan standpoint Betplom. You shouldn't blame him for leaving at all, because the Leafs management wants to go another direction. It was clear after last years season that they needed to re-tool that entire team.

Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9461

first of all, i predicted to everyone that the Habs would not make it past the 2nd round and barely got by the bruins in the 1st round when they should have lost. habs had no size, they were all tiny compared to a big strong flyer team who humiliated them. all my buddies thought i was crazy, but now they know who's boss.

secondly, i will make this prediction and pull this thread back up next april and call me a genius when i'm right..

if the Habs get mats, they will NOT even make the playoffs next year. that's right, NO WAY make the playoffs. there will be too much problems between koivu, kovalev and mats. three europeans who all want the captaincy, and whoever gets it, the other 2 will not be happy.. there will be too many problems inside the dressing room and the team won't play good.. plus, mats will not fit in here.. they definitely won't put him on the same line as kovalev, they just won't connect.

getting mats will be the worst thing for the habs.. plus, the pressure of playing in montreal is way way more than toronto.. trust me on this.. toronto was nice to mats.. wait till mats goes on a 5 game scoring slump, the media will tear him up..montreal is the toughest place to play, hands down. toronto has nothing on montreal. the french media will eat him alive. mats will regret he ever came to mtl.

montreal is the centre of hockey.. NOT toronto.

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    While I can understand your frustration from a fan standpoint Betplom. You shouldn't blame him for leaving at all, because the Leafs management wants to go another direction. It was clear after last years season that they needed to re-tool that entire team.

BBD, you don't understand, the Leafs biggest rival is Montreal, always has been. This is the big battle of English vs French in Canada, a Leafs fan could never forgive a player that wanted to go to Montreal.

It's like the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. I wouldn't mind seeing Sundin in any uniform that isn't Montreal.

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santauro View Post

Nicky, my apologies, you are obviously Mexican/American from East LA.

I thought you were Canadian, but your statement above is all the proof I needed to show me otherwise.

Thanks.

Nicky Santoro

oh i see now from your avatar that you are from toronto.. i guess you're not being bias. i dont expect you to say mtl is bigger of course, seeing you're from toronto..

and are you telling me that hockey is bigger in toronto than it is in montreal?? if yes, then you have no idea what you are talking about. hockey is not a sport, it's a RELIGION in mtl.. i know this for a fact. hockey in montreal, is compared to soccer in portugal.

it's all mtl has. they dont have to compete with an NBA and MLB team.. there isn't one person in mtl who doesn't watch hockey.. NOT ONE.. mtl is nuts for hockey..

and i am from EAST LA.. that you are right about.. it's the only thing you were right in your post Plommy..

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Montreal only cares about the Impact.

betplom
    maniac

hockey is bigger in Toronto than it is in montreal.
    Not only is hockey bigger in Toronto than Montreal, the Leafs are far more important ratings/commercial wise than Montreal could ever hope to be.

Don't believe me? Ask the CBC & TSN. The Leafs are money. Period.

The Habs are an afterthought compared to the Leafs on English tv.

Nicky Santoro

who's talking about english tv. of course english tv is bigger for the leafs because you have 80% of the population in canada being anglophone canadians.

i'm telling you that hockey is way way way bigger in montreal, than hockey is in toronto.. it's not even a discussion here. i've been to both cities many times for business, and i have been to restaurants, stores, subways, and when you go on the metro in montreal, everyone is talking hockey.. they talk hockey everywhere you go.. when i was in toronto, i didn't hear anyone talking about the leafs anywhere i went.

when the habs win or lose, the next day, there are 11 pages about them in the french paper. in toronto, 2 pages. they are hockey crazy in mtl, and i mean, hockey crazy.. toronto, not as much, but they still do like hockey there. just cant compare, sorry plommy.. but this is the truth.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree with Nicky- Toronto is an afterthought compared to Montreal.

Nicky Santoro

thanks crazyl, i always knew you were a smart kid.. you might be the only one that agrees with me here crazy.. there are about 20 guys from toronto, or just outside toronto here. but NO montrealers, or quebecers.

so of course every guy from ontario will agree with plommy.. it's only obvious.. but i know i am right. hockey is a religion in montreal.. not a sport.

to prove i'm right plommy, google it and see. when habs were in the playoffs recently, there were 100,000 cars with habs flags hanging from their car windows and honking to each other all day.. how many torontonians do this when the maple laughs are in the playoffs?

betplom
    maniac

i've been to both cities many times for business, and i have been to restaurants, stores, subways, and when you go on the metro in montreal, everyone is talking hockey.
    So you've been to Montreal on business eh? And formulated an opinion from visits to the city? While in town "on business" you ride the metro do you?

LOL! You're stories aren't adding up.

Funny, your videos don't give the impression you're in any type of business that requires travel to Canadian cities.

What type of business you in Mr. S?

Care to continue your charade?

I'll play along. This is becoming very amusing.

Next you're probably going to tell us you speak fluent Quebecois French, because you've visited Montreal so many times.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Plom- no need to get personal. He was correct in saying not many people care about Leaf hockey, it is like comparing the Giants to the Jets in NY, nobody cares about the Jets. Nothing wrong with being a Leaf fan but be realistic bud.

Nicky Santoro

why you switching the topic plommy?

weren't we just talking about habs vs leafs? alright, are we done talking about this.. fine..

and oui, je parle francais bien.. montreal est magnifique. j'ai bien aime la ville.

i learnt the language a bit when i was there. i was intrigued by the french language and the culture. i am shocking you again plommy.. keep trying me plommy, i will continue to shock you.

Nicky Santoro

thanks crazy, but dont worry, i can handle plommy.. i've been in these situations many many many a times in my posting career. i can handle plommy. he's a lightweight.

but plommy, i came back with the toronto/mtl discussion. i dont know why you switched topics on me, kinda like you starting getting mad because you realized i was right.. so you switched topics. kinda like you threw in the flag.

betplom
    maniac

why you switching the topic plommy?
    Actually, nick, read the first topic in the thread, it was my post, I was saying how sick I would feel if Sundin were to become a Hab. That is the topic. It wasn't about Montreal at all.

I don't see where I said anything about hockey popularity.

Now you are accusing me of changing the subject?

You are telling everyone you are from LA, I doubt anyone seriously believes that, I'm merely pointing out that you are telling lies, and that is relative to your other posts.

How do you expect people to give you credibility when it appears as though your full of shit?

Your stories/videos are amusing, sometimes entertaining, but you're not someone who others would look to for serious advice.

If you stopped pretending, maybe you'd get a believer or two.

oh i see now from your avatar that you are from Toronto
    Nick, thats pretty sharp, I've been posting since 2006 and everyone knows I'm from Toronto, except you, until today.

The question that should be asked, is:

Why is a Mexican-American from Los Angeles so interested in defending the Montreal Canadiens to a guy from Toronto?

Of course no answer will be coming from Nicky, as anyone with any wit already knows the answer.
    Last edited by betplom; 06-23-08 at 09:32 PM.

betplom
    maniac

so you switched topics. kinda like you threw in the flag.
    Nick, I'm not worried in the least.

Some smart people populate SBR, if someone were to read this entire thread and look at my previous posts and your posts here at the forum a conclusion would be easy to formulate.

You never answered any of my previous questions, why would you think I 'd answer yours?

Nicky Santoro

plommy, that's just it. i did answer your question and i made an intelligent response saying that if habs get sundin, they wont make playoffs because he wont fit in here.

and that's where it started.. you came back quoting me and mocking me about mtl being the centre of hockey.. when i wrote my post, i didnt' expect it to turn around because of you making that comment.

so basically, i didn't start this kiddo, you did... anywys, lets just move on.. i dont want to argue.. take care.

betplom
    maniac

so basically, i didn't start this kiddo, you did... anywys, lets just move on.. i dont want to argue.. take care.
    I'd say you started it much earlier with the fake East LA schtick. You've been on me ever since.

Now that you've been "outed" as a fraud you wanna play nice?

OK, I understand.

And where the hell did I ask a question in my initial message?

Nicky Santoro

bottom line is..

hockey is way bigger in montreal than toronto ever will be..

later

betplom
    maniac

bottom line is..
    No one with half a brain would look to someone pretending to be A MEXICAN-AMERICAN from Los Angeles for hockey information. Not believable.

How could you trust them if that person's whole gimmick is deception?

Light-weight eh? lol.
    Last edited by betplom; 06-23-08 at 09:00 PM.

betplom
    maniac

What team is the most popular NHL Team?

Forbes NHL Team Valuations 2007

Now I'll admit the first one isn't backed by any science and I've seen articles mentioning that the Habs are now Canada's team, although likely because they were the last Canadian team still in the playoffs at the time the article was written.

The second article is the most up to date information I could find.

The money being made by the Leafs as a direct result of their popularity.
    (Regardless of the Habs popularity "in Montreal Restaurants and on the metro")

The Toronto market is larger and more popular than Montreals, period.

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11522

I have half a brain, and my half a brain wonders about this comment

"THIS IS A BIG BATTLE OF ENGLISH VS FRENCH IN CANADA" BETMOPLAN

Bullshit, this is a rivalry based on decades and decades of playing hockey against each other, where hockey is the dominant sport(both cities).CITY PRIDE ON THE LINE, NOT POLITICS.

if it's french canada vs english canada as your statemet implies,
    then Kenny Dryden, Bob Gainey, Larry Robinson,steve shutt,and hanfulls of others
    must be the biggest traitors in english canada.

Imagine all these scumbags putting on a red sweater with a ch in the middle.

............grounds for treason...........................

Weather Nicky is from East LA or Saint Jean Sur Richlieu, who cares, he knows his hockey shit.

Ever hear of a guy called jj gold from Newark.....he's as real as Elmur Fudd........yet he's still loved here.

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post
    I have half a brain, and my half a brain wonders about this comment

"THIS IS A BIG BATTLE OF ENGLISH VS FRENCH IN CANADA" BETPLOM

Bullshit, this is a rivalry based on decades and decades of playing hockey against each other, where hockey is the dominant sport(both cities).CITY PRIDE ON THE LINE, NOT POLITICS.

if it's french canada vs english canada as your statemet implies,
    then Kenny Dryden, Bob Gainey, Larry Robinson,steve shutt,and hanfulls of others
    must be the biggest traitors in english canada.

Imagine all these scumbags putting on a red sweater with a ch in the middle.

............grounds for treason...........................

Weather Nicky is from East LA or Saint Jean Sur Richlieu, who cares, he knows his hockey shit.

Ever hear of a guy called jj gold from Newark.....he's as real as Elmur Fudd........yet he's still loved here.
    Nicky knows his hockey because he's Canadian, yet he continues to imply he's not, why? Only he knows but I doubt anyone seriously believes him anymore. When questioned he becomes combatative and aggressive, theres really no need.

Habs/Leafs has alot to do with English/French FANS! Not players. I wouldn't fault a kid from Ontario playing for the Canadiens should he be drafted by them. My gripe Sundin was a Leaf captain for many years and now WANTS to become a Canadien! This is not cool.

I have seen a French Canadian short animated movie about the kid in Quebec that gets a Leaf jersey for Christmas and is disappointed with the gift embarrassed to wear it when he goes to the rink.
    For the Hab/Leaf fans I know it is definitely a rivalry of cities, with the English/French mixed in for good measure.

Politics definitely plays a part in it, English Canada has tolerated the sabotage inflicted on the country by Quebec separtists for years. I'm no fan of Quebec politics but I understand their fears as they are 6 million French speakers amongst 300 plus million anglophones on the continent.

As for the JJ reference, sure there are people here that like his stuff, but as their stay becomes longer his shtick becomes less interesting. Boring to many as well.

These are my opinions. I live and grew up in Toronto, thats how I formed them. Yours may be different.

I suspect Nicky knows as much about Montreal for much different reasons than he stated.
    Last edited by betplom; 06-23-08 at 10:36 PM.

Al Masters

I respect your opinion BETPLOM, I feel your pain as a leaf fan.(im not)

I wonder if things were better when Harold was in charge.lol

To change the subject, you ever play cards in Ontario?
    I play there a ton, will be at Fallsview and Brantford from july 5th till september, drop on by to the poker rooms there, dinner on me.

I was invted to play in a private game in a town called Woodbridge, are you at all familiar with that game?

I will also have a nice horse, thats running at either mohawk or woodbine(harness)
    in late july. should win so they say. were all waiting.

........................AL

betplom
    maniac

Al, I play cards at Casino Rama more than Niagara Falls, at least in the summer, in the winter I'll be at Niagara more, all because of road conditions, Niagara is much busier and has alot more traffic to contend with when coming from Toronto. This is good in winter but not so good in summer.

I have family in Woodbridge, it has a HUGE Italian-Canadian population, I'm about 10 km away from there, not familiar with the "game" in Woodbridge.

I also play Mohawk and Woodbine Thoroughbred/Harness, owned part of a couple of cheap runners back in the late 90's.

If I'm around, I might just take you up on your offer.

Thanks.

Al Masters

Played at Rama for 3 straight years, when they had the best 20-40L game in the world, but over time the management chased that game away, now if you like playing L, Brantford is the spot.

Yup the game in Woodbridge was run by italians.
    a guy named Shampoo, ever hear of that name?

Think i'll stick with the casino rooms, great action in ontario.

To generalize some of the best cash action games are in Ontario, usually very live games, many a good players, but also many fishy type players.

Once again if u find yourself at either niagra or Brantford in the next 2 months,
    just ask a floorperson if Al's around , if so, they'll point you in my direction.

..........gl with the ponnies & mlb

...........................AL

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Al Masters View Post
    Played at Rama for 3 straight years, when they had the best 20-40L game in the world, but over time the management chased that game away, now if you like playing L, Brantford is the spot.

Yup the game in Woodbridge was run by italians.
    a guy named Shampoo, ever hear of that name?

Think i'll stick with the casino rooms, great action in ontario.

To generalize some of the best cash action games are in Ontario, usually very live games, many a good players, but also many fishy type players.

Once again if u find yourself at either niagra or Brantford in the next 2 months,
    just ask a floorperson if Al's around , if so, they'll point you in my direction.

..........gl with the ponnies & mlb

...........................AL

Funny you mention "Shampoo" I know who he is from the card games in the roving "charity" casinos in the 1990's in and around Toronto.

I don't know him well, but I do know who he is.

Are you from Ontario?

Al Masters

No, i'm not from Ontario, but have played all over Ontario, after the charity casinoS stopped.

I met and played with Shampoo, he invited me to the game in Woodbridge.

So basically i'v played there since Rama opened, then Brantford then fallsview,
    i go to fallsview to play nl but prefer limit cash games, Brantford now has 2) 20-40 games going all the time and twice a week a 50-100 game very juicy.

I know Gavin very we'll, we played with each other for many years in both ontario and Foxwoods, before eric lindgren put him in a few tourneys only to win one for over a mil. smoked many joints with him.. lol

I know most of the ontario crew from playing there on and off for the last 8 years or so.

you know FRANK G... he's a prof at some university there, we'll known in the ontario poker world, i only ask cause he always would tell me about those charity casinos you mentioned. Tuan Lam, like him, but very fishy.

makes 4 mill then hangs out at Brantford playing 50-100 limit. don't understand

Anyways i can keep on Rambling about players and playing in Onttario.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36705

Al

For what it's worth, i own Standardbreds on the Mohawk/Woodbine circuit as well as play it professionally. I'd be interested in having a heads up on who your horse is so i can follow it when it comes up here. BOL to you in your time here!

PuckOff

first of all, i predicted to everyone that the Habs would not make it past the 2nd round and barely got by the bruins in the 1st round when they should have lost. habs had no size, they were all tiny compared to a big strong flyer team who humiliated them. all my buddies thought i was crazy, but now they know who's boss.

secondly, i will make this prediction and pull this thread back up next april and call me a genius when i'm right..

if the Habs get mats, they will NOT even make the playoffs next year. that's right, NO WAY make the playoffs. there will be too much problems between koivu, kovalev and mats. three europeans who all want the captaincy, and whoever gets it, the other 2 will not be happy.. there will be too many problems inside the dressing room and the team won't play good.. plus, mats will not fit in here.. they definitely won't put him on the same line as kovalev, they just won't connect.

getting mats will be the worst thing for the habs.. plus, the pressure of playing in montreal is way way more than toronto.. trust me on this.. toronto was nice to mats.. wait till mats goes on a 5 game scoring slump, the media will tear him up..montreal is the toughest place to play, hands down. toronto has nothing on montreal. the french media will eat him alive. mats will regret he ever came to mtl.

Nicky,

What part of Canada are you from?

Your Pal,

Pucky

PuckOff

oh i see now from your avatar that you are from toronto.. i guess you're not being bias. i dont expect you to say mtl is bigger of course, seeing you're from toronto..

and are you telling me that hockey is bigger in toronto than it is in montreal?? if yes, then you have no idea what you are talking about. hockey is not a sport, it's a RELIGION in mtl.. i know this for a fact. hockey in montreal, is compared to soccer in portugal.

it's all mtl has. they dont have to compete with an NBA and MLB team.. there isn't one person in mtl who doesn't watch hockey.. NOT ONE.. mtl is nuts for hockey..

and i am from EAST LA.. that you are right about.. it's the only thing you were right in your post Plommy..
    NICKY,

Stop it!!!

12 Last