BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Why Bet Full game lines with 2nd half/Live Lines on the market?

I think you will find that you will have a much better record if you just lay off game lines, and bet for 2nd half value.

So why not just wait til halftime and only bet if your team is behind? Much better way to succeed imo.

yak merchant
    yak merchant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6170

Mainly because if you have a good model, process, ouija board, whatever that picks winners in the long run the team should be on the winning side of the line at half. Therefore no real 2nd half value. If you only bet when your team is "losing", you are surely losing more value on all the "no bets" where you were right and they were winning at half and will cover the full game, than any increased win percentage by only taking team that are losing at half. Sure there are times when the 2nd half is alot easier, and if you have some model,process,ouija board that is 2nd half specific then great, but in general if you have a +EV model, and you like a team before the game starts waiting until half will be counter productive. If you bet alot of favorites and don't really have a winning model, then yes in actuality if you watch games and only bet teams that you "like" that are down at half you may do better. However I don't have any hard statistical proof at this point, but from experience if one side of a game is a "public" play where a large percentage of people are on one side, I believe the long term 2nd half value is usually on the team that is winning.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Because if your team is behind at the half then your Pre-Game model is no longer valid?

Ahh fuhgedit, your plan is clearly flawless.

Bulldog-53
    Bulldog-53's Avatar Become A Pro!

I personally have stopped betting full NFL games and dont just 1st half wagers and my winning % has increased 10-15%, easily.

astrodomer
    Houston Oilers
    astrodomer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

actually I have found over the years he is right.....I feel like im getting a steal at halftime taking the team that was -14 but now in reality they are -3 for the whole game and you get them at -110......I love the stratagy!!

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

hearty food for thought

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

That's probably a good question. I'm starting to bet more derivatives and forget about full game stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog-53 View Post
    I personally have stopped betting full NFL games and dont just 1st half wagers and my winning % has increased 10-15%, easily.
    You're winning 60-65% of your 1H NFL wagers? Hard to believe.

BettingWizard

great example for today Giants ML was -550 or so

Halftime you get them at +5.5 for the game at +100

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14864

It's all about value and position. If you feel the game line has value, take it.

Vesuvius
    Vesuvius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post

What if the Giants came out cruising like expected, up 35-0 at the half. Then you would have "lost value" by not taking them before the game started.

BettingWizard

what's worse, potentially losing -550, or laying off what would have been a +100 win?

Let's say for argument's sake, the Giants comeback and lose by 3 pts. +100 in your account instead of -550. 650 dollar swing

or they get blown out like they are right now. -100 instead of -550

brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7784

Yeah I wonder about this strategy too. Anyone has statistical info?

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

Quote Originally Posted by yak merchant View Post
    Mainly because if you have a good model, process, ouija board, whatever that picks winners in the long run the team should be on the winning side of the line at half. Therefore no real 2nd half value. If you only bet when your team is "losing", you are surely losing more value on all the "no bets" where you were right and they were winning at half and will cover the full game, than any increased win percentage by only taking team that are losing at half. Sure there are times when the 2nd half is alot easier, and if you have some model,process,ouija board that is 2nd half specific then great, but in general if you have a +EV model, and you like a team before the game starts waiting until half will be counter productive. If you bet alot of favorites and don't really have a winning model, then yes in actuality if you watch games and only bet teams that you "like" that are down at half you may do better.
    this is spot on. if you have a 2nd Half model of some sort, then bet 2nd halves. If you have a Full game model of some sort, then bet full games. If you have no model at all and are just betting whatever you like it won't matter what you'll bet.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brumbies View Post
    Yeah I wonder about this strategy too. Anyone has statistical info?
    Lets just say you'll be broke by x mas if you follow betting wizards advice.

Brp27345
    Most likely a winner...
    Brp27345's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

here is all I can give u guys to help out the conversation... Applied advantage of 10.5 plus points... so for example a 5 point fav down at the half and u can get them +5.5 or more for the game...

I guess you guys are talking about applied advantage and betting with it... well here is the reality with applied advantage in the NBA over the past 2 seasons...

Home teams with this 10.5 and over applied advantage are 53-49... so nothing...
    Road teams with this 10.5 and over applied advantage are 21-31... so even less than nothing...

just something to throw into the convo here... this does NOT work for the NBA... but go ahead and try if u feel lucky!

Grind-It-Out
    Grind-It-Out's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 942

what's worse, potentially losing -550, or laying off what would have been a +100 win?

Let's say for argument's sake, the Giants comeback and lose by 3 pts. +100 in your account instead of -550. 650 dollar swing

or they get blown out like they are right now. -100 instead of -550
    You act like you knew that the Giants were going to be losing at halftime. In that case, why not bet Dallas first half?

LegitBet
    steelers

this question intrigues me so for its greater cross sport applications if we can establish an all encompassing given

BettingWizard

I will start tracking what I'm talking about, every day I will post what I like for Full game, but only bet 2nd half if there's "value"

Tonight I liked Suns over 216, first half line was 109, so i will play 2nd half over if first half under hits

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

look at the limits in various markets; full game usually has much, much, much higher limits

BettingWizard

no play, hit right at 109. I will also track the hit-rate of the full game compared to just betting 2nd half

BettingWizard

Also Liked Pitt and didnt' bet full game

Live Bet Pitt +10 -120

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think you will find that you will have a much better record if you just lay off game lines, and bet for 2nd half value.
    This is only true while filed under "bet less - lose less" category which is clearly PT material.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

If you think 2H bet has value, that is because your team already failed the 1H. Also what if your team covered 1H by a mile? You missed a good full game bet, and now face a not so good 2H bet.

Trucker George
    Trucker George's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you have a good model, process, ouija board, whatever that picks winners...
    Well, I prefer voodoo rituals or casting runes, or perhaps reading entrails followed up with a nice little bring-me-winners rain dance type ritual.

But to each their own!

But seriously, this here:
    It's all about value and position. If you feel the game line has value, take it.

brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7784

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho sanza View Post
    Lets just say you'll be broke by x mas if you follow betting wizards advice.
    What about fading?

Tomato
    Tomato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 618

elohel

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

i like soccer 4 live betting and have 2 systems going. works ok 4 me - nothing to brag about though. i have a small edge (i think), after 8 months i'm up 15%. like i said nothing to get excited about but if a square like me can make a little change there is probably something in it.

any1 else into live footy betting?
    Last edited by subs; 11-15-10 at 01:44 AM.

mikeanite
    mikeanite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

would this strategy work for an american bookie?

LegitBet
    steelers

seems like everyone can use this...trying to find scalp opportunies..less less time for market to equalize, right?

Peregrine Stoop

no, it's bad because the line moves real quick at first and then equalizes. So, you often get a bad bet in and then not the other side.

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

obviously bullshit, but what is true is that on 2nd half lines it is much easier to get a good line.
    If you think that is wise to try to catch some "steam" there, not here to make a point for or against it.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by Brp27345 View Post
    here is all I can give u guys to help out the conversation... Applied advantage of 10.5 plus points... so for example a 5 point fav down at the half and u can get them +5.5 or more for the game...

I guess you guys are talking about applied advantage and betting with it... well here is the reality with applied advantage in the NBA over the past 2 seasons...

Home teams with this 10.5 and over applied advantage are 53-49... so nothing...
    Road teams with this 10.5 and over applied advantage are 21-31... so even less than nothing...

just something to throw into the convo here... this does NOT work for the NBA... but go ahead and try if u feel lucky!
    This is such an awesome post.

Do you have any info about college b-ball? Would love to see the statistics about betting college second half!

Brp27345
    Most likely a winner...
    Brp27345's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    This is such an awesome post. Do you have any info about college b-ball? Would love to see the statistics about betting college second half!
    no man sorry... just NBA... but thanks for the comment anyways

BadBeatBodog
    BadBeatBodog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    You're winning 60-65% of your 1H NFL wagers? Hard to believe.
    I'm guessing he's now winning 10-15% of them.

Peregrine Stoop

I'm guessing he's now winning ~50% of them

12 Last