ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Extension talks between Khris Davis and the A’s have been taking place for over a year, and the slugger reiterated to media members (including MLB.com’s Jane Lee) on Sunday that his desire is to remain in Oakland. To this end, Davis is also willing to take a salary cut to make an extension happen, telling Lee that he would be willing to accept $10MM per year if the A’s were to extend through at least the 2021 season.

This would represent a pretty significant salary reduction for Davis, who is set to earn $16.5MM in 2019 after he and the Athletics avoided arbitration by settling on a contract in Davis’ final year of arb-eligibility. Davis, however, recognized that his market could be limited in free agency next winter. He’ll be 33 years old on Opening Day of the 2020 season, and he doesn’t offer a well-rounded game — beyond his power bat, Davis is a sub-standard baserunner and defender, and best suited for a DH spot at this stage in his career. Though he has been a solidly above-average hitter overall (career 125 wRC+) thanks to his huge power, Davis also isn’t a big on-base threat or known to post a high batting average, as per his well-documented streak of four straight seasons with a .247 batting average.

I don’t want to break the bank. I want to be happy playing baseball. I’m not trying to max out the dollars,” Davis said. “$16 million, this is the top for me. I don’t want more than that. I’ll probably have to take a cut, and that’s fine, as long as I’m here.”
    It’s an unusually public stance for a player to take, and perhaps one that Davis’ agent and/or the MLBPA might have concerns about given how the union is facing a league-wide slowdown on free agent salaries. From Oakland’s perspective, the club may feel that it has enough leverage to perhaps avoid an extension whatsoever, taking the gamble that Davis might still be eager to re-sign at a discount after the season, even if he posts more big numbers. Extending Davis even at a modest two-year deal for around $20MM through 2021 still carries some risk for the A’s now, as a lower-payroll team like the Athletics can hardly afford even a $10MM payroll albatross should Davis’ production fall off.

Still, in a vacuum, Davis’ comments aren’t too far removed from any highly-paid veteran player acknowledging that their next contract will be of lesser value, or a player who prioritizes a certain team or playing for a contender over a wider scope of free agent choices. Davis’ home run totals have also allowed him to capture $32MM over his three arbitration years, so he is already more than secure financially. As Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle noted earlier this winter, contract length “is far more important to Davis than the annual value of the contract,” and Davis told reporters today that he hopes to keep wearing an A’s jersey for “at least three more years.”

It’s not a good thing being a free agent right now,” Davis said. “I’m already 31. I don’t know if I’m too old. There’s a lot of things that run through my head.
    good stuff

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2392

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    This is going to be the week for a big signing, it just can’t go any longer.

Who knows what to expect

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Third baseman Mike Moustakas returning to Brewers

Free-agent third baseman Mike Moustakas is headed back to the Milwaukee Brewers on a one-year, $10 million deal, a league source confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Passan on Sunday. There is a mutual option on a second year.
    The Athletic was first to report the agreement.
    The left-handed-hitting Moustakas batted .251 with 28 homers and 95 RBIs in 152 games in 2018 with the Kansas City Royals and Brewers. He hit .256 with eight homers and 33 RBIs with the Brewers after being acquired from the last-place Royals on July 27 and helped bolster Milwaukee for its NL Central-winning stretch run.
    Moustakas became a big hit with both fans and teammates on the Brewers in their drive to come within one game of reaching the World Series. They appreciated his solid third base defense, and his left-handed power stroke was key in getting Milwaukee through the NL Division Series. In the clubhouse, his focused demeanor and extensive postseason experience made him a source of steadiness for a club playing in the postseason for the first time since 2011.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47551

supposedly, the Padres have big offers on the table for machado and harper...

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-seri...?tid=282421090

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    supposedly, the Padres have big offers on the table for machado and harper...

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-seri...?tid=282421090
    Good on the Padres for going after them, thought they would have been gun shy on free agent signings after Hosmer last year.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10161

Giants manager Bruce Bochy announces he will retire after 2019 season.....

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    HOF'er

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Boche always known as a classy manager.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Sad day for Giants fans when he steps down as manager but Bochy has done all he can for the orginization and his health is declining these past couple of years. Quite frankly I'm surprised he didn't call it quits after last year but maybe he feels he has one more good year in him. Hopefully the Giants find an adequate replacement for him because it's going to be difficult to replace a manager like Bochy who's done nothing but win with your franchise.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 549

The White Sox are a “strong factor” in the market for star infielder Manny Machado, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter). Attention has in recent days focused on the Padres, but it seems it’s still a multi-horse race, with the Phillies also known to be in the picture as well.
    It isn’t terribly surprising to hear that the Chicago organization still factors into the discussion. Just how active the club is in its bidding isn’t clear, but the South Siders are continuing to dangle carrots (in less-than-subtle ways) in an attempt to lure Machado to Chicago.
    Still, it’s notable that the White Sox evidently remain a legitimate potential landing spot — if only because that’d potentially make for much-needed leverage for Machado’s representatives. With the jockeying surrounding Machado and fellow unsigned star Bryce Harper perhaps entering a final phase, those players’ respective agents need all the cards they can get their hands on.
    Recent indications are that the Padres have offered Machado something greater than $240MM and perhaps reaching $280MM. That sets a rather high bar — loftier, perhaps, than the level of contract the White Sox were reportedly dangling one month ago.
    Even if the White Sox are willing to top the Friars, there could be further competition. Rosenthal suggests that the front offices of all three organizations see Machado as a better fit than Harper, though ownership preferences may be a bit different. Perhaps, then, there’s still some room for a late run-up in the bidding. Harper’s ongoing presence, and largely overlapping slate of bidders, makes for another factor in this complicated matchmaking dance.

EmpireMaker

In a press conference in front of the Steinbrenners, most of the Yankee roster and his wife and kids, C.C. Sabathia has officially announced his intentions to retire at the conclusion of the 2019 season.
    Included in a statement released by the team was written statements from a wide-ranging collection of voices, including Derek Jeter, Joe Girardi, LeBron James, Fat Joe, Steve Kerr, the major of Sabathia’s hometown Bob Sampayan, Tiki Barber and more. It’s quite the show of support for Sabathia, whose storied career will come to an end after 2019, his 19th year in the league. In a career that included stops with the Indians, Brewers and Yankees, Sabathia has thus far amassed 246 wins in 3,470 innings across 538 regular season appearances, all starts. Presently, he trails Bartolo Colon by one win for the lead among active players.
    Sabathia is a 6-time All-Star and American League Cy Young award winner in 2007. He was named MVP of the ALCS in 2009 after going 2-0 with a 1.13 ERA in helping the Yankees down the Los Angeles Angels to win the pennant. The Yanks, of course, won the World Series that season, with Sabathia earning his keep in two World Series starts against the Phillies, though the Yanks split the two games in which Sabathia started. Though Sabathia’s career can largely be viewed as a two-part story – the first part in Cleveland, the second with the Yankees – his most memorable performance might be the work he put in for half a season in Milwaukee in 2008. He famously went 11-2 down the stretch with a 1.65 ERA and an insane 7 complete games and three shutouts in 17 starts. Going on short rest multiple times, Sabathia put on a show of endurance and durability plucked from a different era. In doing so, he also became the only pitcher of the Modern Era (since 1900) to record 120 strikeouts with two teams in a single season.
    We could spend all day lauding Sabathia’s many accolades, and he’s not done yet. For now, Sabathia is fifth in AL history with 2,858 strikeouts, the most ever by a lefty. He is the active leader in that category, as well as innings pitched and quality starts. He has a good chance of overtaking Colon at some point this season for the active lead in wins. The Yankees are likely to closely monitor Sabathia’s workload this season, though he continues to pitch well deep into his thirties, taking 29 turns last year with a 3.65 ERA in 153 innings. Today’s announcement grants Sabathia, 38, the opportunity of a farewell tour as he makes his final starts in ballparks around the league.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Congratulations CC Sabathia

ApricotSinner32

In a press conference in front of the Steinbrenners, most of the Yankee roster and his wife and kids, C.C. Sabathia has officially announced his intentions to retire at the conclusion of the 2019 season.
    Included in a statement released by the team was written statements from a wide-ranging collection of voices, including Derek Jeter, Joe Girardi, LeBron James, Fat Joe, Steve Kerr, the major of Sabathia’s hometown Bob Sampayan, Tiki Barber and more. It’s quite the show of support for Sabathia, whose storied career will come to an end after 2019, his 19th year in the league. In a career that included stops with the Indians, Brewers and Yankees, Sabathia has thus far amassed 246 wins in 3,470 innings across 538 regular season appearances, all starts. Presently, he trails Bartolo Colon by one win for the lead among active players.
    Sabathia is a 6-time All-Star and American League Cy Young award winner in 2007. He was named MVP of the ALCS in 2009 after going 2-0 with a 1.13 ERA in helping the Yankees down the Los Angeles Angels to win the pennant. The Yanks, of course, won the World Series that season, with Sabathia earning his keep in two World Series starts against the Phillies, though the Yanks split the two games in which Sabathia started. Though Sabathia’s career can largely be viewed as a two-part story – the first part in Cleveland, the second with the Yankees – his most memorable performance might be the work he put in for half a season in Milwaukee in 2008. He famously went 11-2 down the stretch with a 1.65 ERA and an insane 7 complete games and three shutouts in 17 starts. Going on short rest multiple times, Sabathia put on a show of endurance and durability plucked from a different era. In doing so, he also became the only pitcher of the Modern Era (since 1900) to record 120 strikeouts with two teams in a single season.
    We could spend all day lauding Sabathia’s many accolades, and he’s not done yet. For now, Sabathia is fifth in AL history with 2,858 strikeouts, the most ever by a lefty. He is the active leader in that category, as well as innings pitched and quality starts. He has a good chance of overtaking Colon at some point this season for the active lead in wins. The Yankees are likely to closely monitor Sabathia’s workload this season, though he continues to pitch well deep into his thirties, taking 29 turns last year with a 3.65 ERA in 153 innings. Today’s announcement grants Sabathia, 38, the opportunity of a farewell tour as he makes his final starts in ballparks around the league.
    Sabathia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Rockies moving All-Star Charlie Blackmon to right field

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- It may not seem right, but Charlie Blackmon will be in right field for Colorado this season.
    Blackmon, a four-time All-Star who has anchored center field for the Rockies since 2014 and has played more games there than anyone else in franchise history, said Monday that he spoke to manager Bud Black about the switch and is fine with it.
    "He assured me this was going to help the Rockies win more games, and I'm all about that," Blackmon said.
    With Ian Desmond slated to play center field, the issue became which corner spot Blackmon would fill.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    Rockies moving All-Star Charlie Blackmon to right field

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- It may not seem right, but Charlie Blackmon will be in right field for Colorado this season.
    Blackmon, a four-time All-Star who has anchored center field for the Rockies since 2014 and has played more games there than anyone else in franchise history, said Monday that he spoke to manager Bud Black about the switch and is fine with it.
    "He assured me this was going to help the Rockies win more games, and I'm all about that," Blackmon said.
    With Ian Desmond slated to play center field, the issue became which corner spot Blackmon would fill.

interesting move

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Good on the Padres for going after them, thought they would have been gun shy on free agent signings after Hosmer last year.
    Hosmer had a bad year but i expect him to bounce back this year at least to respectability.

JAKEPEAVY21

looks like the Padres signed Machado!

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...?tid=282421090

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Great news for the Pads Jake! If I had to choose between Harper and Machado I'd rather have Harper but beggars can't be choosers. I am floored that he chose to play for the Pads but thats huge for that franchise.

EmpireMaker

Manny Machado agrees to 10-year, $300 million deal with San Diego #Padres. Now, it's Bryce Harper's turn. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/02/19/manny-machado-san-diego-padres/2525431002/ … via @usatoday

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33146

Manny Machado agrees to 10-year, $300 million deal with San Diego #Padres. Now, it's Bryce Harper's turn. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/02/19/manny-machado-san-diego-padres/2525431002/ … via @usatoday
    Good job by the Padres .

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Wow, huge by the Padres.

BigSpoon
    Henlo

White Sox signed Machado's brother in law and his best friend only to lose out to the Padres. They also traded Tatis Jr. for James Shields, also to the Padres.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Great news for the Pads Jake! If I had to choose between Harper and Machado I'd rather have Harper but beggars can't be choosers. I am floored that he chose to play for the Pads but thats huge for that franchise.
    I agree but Machado is going to play our biggest position of need(3B). We already have a glut of outfielders and would've needed to make a bunch of trades had Bryce beenn signed. I think we overpaid but he is young and in his prime and has a lot of great seasons ahead of him. I like the makings of this offense and the bullpen is very strong. Now Pads GM Preller can focus on the starting staff which is a big weakness. There are a bunch of young guys like Lucchesi and Lauer and Lamet is should be back midseason from Tommy John..Garrett Richards will also be back next year from Tommy John.. Then there are a slew of top starting pitching prospects(Gore, Paddack, Allen, Quantril, Baez, Morejon) but you don't know if they will pan out or not. I'm hoping they either make a trade for a #1 or sign a guy like Gio Gonzalez short term...plenty of prospects to dangle out there for a legit ace.

well I'm rambling on here pretty fired up for first time in a long time about the Padres future.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Good luck Padres. Was hoping Machado could stay out of the NL west

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10161

looks like the Padres signed Machado!

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...?tid=282421090
    Wow, Didn't think the padres would pull the trigger ...lots of expectations this year for them.....

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Wow, Peavy must be jacked. Congrats on signing Johnny Hustle!!

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    White Sox signed Machado's brother in law and his best friend only to lose out to the Padres. They also traded Tatis Jr. for James Shields, also to the Padres.
    Lol. White Sox must be pissed off.

EmpireMaker

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that a high-ranking Padres official flatly informed him that the team will not sign Bryce Harper following the agreement with Machado. The Padres’ payroll will be in the neighborhood of $110MM — a franchise record — but while ownership is clearly willing to spend more than ever before in 2019, it’d still be a shock to see another seismic addition. Despite that report, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Friars won’t completely rule out adding Harper. The Padres have clearly done their due diligence on Harper, so perhaps they’ll continue to lurk on the periphery in case Harper’s view on a shorter-term deal changes.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I agree but Machado is going to play our biggest position of need(3B). We already have a glut of outfielders and would've needed to make a bunch of trades had Bryce beenn signed. I think we overpaid but he is young and in his prime and has a lot of great seasons ahead of him. I like the makings of this offense and the bullpen is very strong. Now Pads GM Preller can focus on the starting staff which is a big weakness. There are a bunch of young guys like Lucchesi and Lauer and Lamet is should be back midseason from Tommy John..Garrett Richards will also be back next year from Tommy John.. Then there are a slew of top starting pitching prospects(Gore, Paddack, Allen, Quantril, Baez, Morejon) but you don't know if they will pan out or not. I'm hoping they either make a trade for a #1 or sign a guy like Gio Gonzalez short term...plenty of prospects to dangle out there for a legit ace.

well I'm rambling on here pretty fired up for first time in a long time about the Padres future.
    You should be excited. Reminds me when the Giants got Bonds it completely turned around the franchise. The Pads lineup is nice they just need to fix their starting pitching. It might be a year or two before they are true contenders but that’s why you’re willing to sign Machado to a long term deal.

ApricotSinner32

Orioles to win the world series this year?

JAKEPEAVY21

Wow, Didn't think the padres would pull the trigger ...lots of expectations this year for them.....
    disagree, Padres will probably be around .500 this year, this was a long term move...starting staff is not up to snuff...yet..

Machado will still be in his prime when the waves of young talent come up the next few years. I just hope he plays 3B, he is far better defensively there and Tatis is a better SS.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    You should be excited. Reminds me when the Giants got Bonds it completely turned around the franchise. The Pads lineup is nice they just need to fix their starting pitching. It might be a year or two before they are true contenders but that’s why you’re willing to sign Machado to a long term deal.
    well said pretty much my thoughts as well.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

will be interesting to watch the pads

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Harper will prob get 10 years and $330M from some team soon.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    will be interesting to watch the pads
    the new owners have been spending money...it started a few years ago with a huge splash in the international market investing millions in the farm system. Now that the system is ready to bear fruit, they added Hosmer and Machado the past 2 offseasons. I still think we are a year away from making some serious gains in the standings but you're right, it will be fin to watch all this young talent. I feel like winning will be sustainable for a pretty decent window with all the waves of talent coming.

First ... 12131415161718 ... Last