BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Just How Screwed Up Is The Selection System

Everyone knows the system is in total disrepair as far as who goes to the Playoffs. There are at least seven teams who have their names mentioned, and 700 writers and other illiterate fools who have opinions based on their bias and little else. With no apparent rules set in stone, it is anyone's guess.

Now the system gets even worse. According to CBS, there is a chance that an undefeated Western Michigan could lose the automatic group of 5 bid to a two loss Navy if both win their Conference Championship Games. Western Michigan (12-0) is a 19 point favorite over Ohio (8-4). Navy (10-2) is a 3 point favorite over Temple (9-3 including a loss to Army). Temple is there because they hold the tie breaker against USF (10-2). There are several major problems with this. If, for any reason, sane or not, Navy (19) gets moved up and passes Western Michigan (17) in the final Poll, Navy goes in, UNLESS they lose to Army. What this does is tie up half of the non New Years 6 Bowl games to see where everyone ends up. That gives teams about 3 days to prepare for their bowl games before they have to travel to the cities who are hosting these games. An impossible mess to overcome. To screw matter up even more, you have teams like a 3 loss San Diego State lurking in the background in case both Navy and Western Michigan lose.

Now I am sure that everyone thinks that a win by Western Michigan is enough to get them into the Cotton Bowl. The question is what does the Commitee, made up of 12 people with 12 different agenda's on their minds think.

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

somebody is about to get screwed cause of the political side of it

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

There should be no reason to delay if Western Michigan wins, but what do I know.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I totally agree with both of you.

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    There should be no reason to delay if Western Michigan wins, but what do I know.
    im sure they are saying "but is western michigan really THAT good.....?"

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by JayDr3am View Post
    im sure they are saying "but is western michigan really THAT good.....?"
    But you are comparing an undefeated champion with a two-loss champion from two Group of 5 conferences which theoretically should be comparable

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    But you are comparing an undefeated champion with a two-loss champion from two Group of 5 conferences which theoretically should be comparable
    yeah i agree with you 100% but i have a feeling its not going to go the way we think.. so many janky scenarios
    Last edited by JayDr3am; 11-30-16 at 04:29 PM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Now Oregon has added to the drama by firing Helfrich and actively going after P.J. Fleck, Western Michigan's Head Coach. Oregon does not want to wait until January 3 to name their new HC. Is Fleck willing to bail out at Western Michigan BEFORE his Bowl game is asked to do so by Oregon?

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Now Oregon has added to the drama by firing Helfrich and actively going after P.J. Fleck, Western Michigan's Head Coach. Oregon does not want to wait until January 3 to name their new HC. Is Fleck willing to bail out at Western Michigan BEFORE his Bowl game is asked to do so by Oregon?
    hell. no. pj loves those kids at WMU.. no way he just up and leaves especially after this success. although i do think fleck would do wonders for oregon

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17168

Quote Originally Posted by JayDr3am View Post
    hell. no. pj loves those kids at WMU.. no way he just up and leaves especially after this success. although i do think fleck would do wonders for oregon
    lol

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Big Daddy,

i have no idea about this subject................. never heard of it before.

what "big 5 automatic bid" does WM get?

slightly surprised that i've never one reference to WM perhaps deserving to be in the 4 team playoff..

not sure why they don't do everything off a quantitative system........ and if they think quant system doesn't capture the essence of this then change the quant system (i.e. weight more recent results more, penalize for terrible non-conference schedule etc.)

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    Big Daddy,

i have no idea about this subject................. never heard of it before.

what "big 5 automatic bid" does WM get?

slightly surprised that i've never one reference to WM perhaps deserving to be in the 4 team playoff..

not sure why they don't do everything off a quantitative system........ and if they think quant system doesn't capture the essence of this then change the quant system (i.e. weight more recent results more, penalize for terrible non-conference schedule etc.)
    The highest ranked conference champion among the "Group of 5" conferences (AAC, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt) gets an automatic bid to a New Year's Six Bowl, with the only possible landing spot this year being the Cotton Bowl.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

And that is the fallacy with the entire system. The "Highest Ranking CONFERENCE CHAMPION"...Apparently the Committee thinks that it is very important to pick a Conference Champion to play in one of these games, but not that important to pick a Conference Champ to play in the Playoffs. Just how two faced can you be?

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Big Daddy and LT, thank you... i wasn't aware..

having done the reading now i gather a problem is navy playing army next week and they want to wait for that game too.... which of course means there's a domino effect on the rest of the bowl selection even down into lesser bowl games... why not just designate army-navy some special game? navy doesn't get benefit of win or reduction of loss.

i agree it seems dumb to require conf champion for this but not for the top 4 playoff spots.......... i don't really care that much but i wouldn't mind if they said at least 3 of 4 playoff teams must conf champs or even all 4.