Baraldsson
    Baraldsson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 660

Did Cowboy quit?

Cowboy went out his way during his octagon interview to insist he doesn't quit and that we all know he doesn't quit. I personally know no such thing. I've seen him quit several times.

Then he says that as a veteran he should know better than to blow his nose. Commentators all seemed 100% clear you don't blow your nose, even the ref could be heard clearly saying it right before the official decision was announced. But Cowboy just happened to make that 'mistake'?

Then Cowboy goes on to say he 'humbly' couldn't continue the fight.

Anyone else suspicious he knew exactly what he was doing and just wanted a way out?
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave Baraldsson 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Quote Originally Posted by Baraldsson View Post
    Then he says that as a veteran he should know better than to blow his nose. Commentators all seemed 100% clear you don't blow your nose, even the ref could be heard clearly saying it right before the official decision was announced. But Cowboy just happened to make that 'mistake'?

Eddie Alvarez, another old school guy who blew his nose and had his eye swell into a knob. All of the old school guys do it and seem surprised its a real thing. It can be hard to tell if your nose is broken in a way that will cause an eye swell, I think that's the issue people run into and Cowboy didn't do it deliberately.

Breathing through the mouth isnt a good option. Its easier to break your jaw if you get hit with your mouth open. Then they have to wire your jaw shut for it to heal and you're stuck eating baby food for months.

Given a choice a lot of guys will gamble and try to clear their nose on the assumption its not broke, so they dont risk being punched in the jaw with their mouth wide open, breaking their jaw in the process.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 06-10-19 at 02:52 PM.

Baraldsson

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Given a choice a lot of guys will gamble and try to clear their nose on the assumption its not broke, so they dont risk being punched in the jaw with their mouth wide open, breaking their jaw in the process.
    Fair enough, no one wants their jaw broke.

I think it was the 'everyone knows I don't quit' line that didn't sit well with me, kind of like Joanna insisting she didn't tap to strikes against Rose that time. We've all seen Cowboy quit several times.

To be fair to Cowboy, he was quick to absolve Ferguson of blame for that punch after the bell. Even though Ferg is probably my favourite current fighter and my money was on him to win, I can't condone late shots like that.

Surely El Cucuy has to get the next title shot after Dustin.

Sanity Check

I think it was the 'everyone knows I don't quit' line that didn't sit well with me, kind of like Joanna insisting she didn't tap to strikes against Rose that time. We've all seen Cowboy quit several times.
    I don't know what to think.

I remember Cowboy being kicked in the jaw by one of the horses on his ranch. Then fighting Nate Diaz with his jaw still compromised and not quitting. Cowboy had part of his intestine removed after an excruciating injury. He's a gnarly guy in spite of his mild mannered demeanor.

The ref might have stopped it when Cowboy fought RDA and Darren Till. I don't know if it counts as quitting though.

You could be right. Clueless on that. Cowboy said in his interview that before having his kid he probably would have given up in his fight with Al Iaquinta. There could be something to it but who knows for sure.

Baraldsson

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    The ref might have stopped it when Cowboy fought RDA and Darren Till. I don't know if it counts as quitting though.
    Those are definitely two of the fights I was thinking of alright. The ref stopping it doesn't necessarily mean a fighter has quit by any means, but I thought Cowboy's body language each time screamed 'Save me, ref, I've had enough'.

If you look at what many other fighters do when hurt/rocked, they'll often try to either (a) clinch until they have a chance to get their legs back under them and recover, (b) run/back away into space until they recover or (c) just bite down on the mouthpiece and throw wildly in the hopes of a flash KO. If I'm remembering correctly, Cowboy seemed to just hunch into himself and refuse to engage, which I interpret as signalling to the ref that he's no longer 'intelligently defending' himself and needs to be rescued.

Must admit I didn't know about the jaw or intestine injuries you mentioned so I'm probably being a bit harsh here.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

No he did not quit.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11925

With Cowboy it's always a let down after a big win. Cards get stacked against him in the next fight after big wins.. Time to fade..

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Never.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Dude was real f'd up from head trauma. Wouldn't over think his words or actions too much.

Baraldsson

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    Dude was real f'd up from head trauma. Wouldn't over think his words or actions too much.
    Fair point, well made. Easy for me to judge from the safety of my sofa.

Sanity Check

Medical update says Cowboy sustained no broken bones. No broken nose or orbital.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/6/1...-tony-ferguson

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Not sure if he quit but El Cheato once again did something dirty in a fight. And guys here think it is my imagination when i say these things about him

Thor4140

On another note i think Rogan and Daniel were terrible in their fight with Henry. The way they were talking and i think Daniel got caught up in Rogans bullshit, you would like Moraes should have gotten a 10-7 first round. Absolutely pathetic the way Rogan called that fight. I thought i was watching the one sided announcing in the last Canelo fight again where Daniel gave Sergio Mora a bunch of shit as i agreed with Daniel that night. Mora was doing the same thing Daniel was doing. Listening to idiotic comments made by the main announcer and just appeasing him by agreeing with him.

Baraldsson

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    Not sure if he quit but El Cheato once again did something dirty in a fight. And guys here think it is my imagination when i say these things about him
    Yeah, Ferg's no stranger to blatant rulebreaking, seem to remember an illegal kick vs Barboza and an eyepoke vs RDA.

Still the most consistently entertaining fighter on the roster though, IMO.

Thor4140

Yeah, Ferg's no stranger to blatant rulebreaking, seem to remember an illegal kick vs Barboza and an eyepoke vs RDA.

Still the most consistently entertaining fighter on the roster though, IMO.
    Yes he is still fun to watch. He was going to win that fight without the late punch but how people are not saying it wasn’t a factor is ridiculous. it could have possibly been the reason Cowboy blew his nose. I’m glad El Cheato is back. The sport has missed him.
    Points Awarded:

Baraldsson gave Thor4140 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.