firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

if Gus was more active lately id be betting on him, but hes been on a long layoff as well so theres no huge advantage.. tbh hes been injured and off while Jones was still training and healthy

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    How does she get lucky? Beat the shit out of Pennington, Rousey, and Tate.
    Rousey was a one trick pony who got exposed and kept losing. Pennington looks like shit at times too and gets lazy and gives up. Cupcake tate never really impressed me at all. Nunes looked like crap against shevchenko and got bullcrap split decision wins. Nunes is not good in my eyes and is going to get exposed.

Demonata

Why bet against Jones?
    Some people don't like money. They use the excuse they will lose eventually lol...

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Jon Jones looked human and beatable when he fought OSP. Most of Jon Jones success has come from capitalizing on his reach advantage against shorter opponents, similar to... Jose Aldo. There are many similarities between Jon Jones and Jose Aldo in terms of them both looking unstoppable against shorter opponents @ a reach disadvantage and then not being as effective against opponents similar to their own size/reach.

That highlights some of the less tangible positives Gustafssson has coming into the fight.

Pinoy-T-X
    Pinoy-T-X's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21609

FWIW, I think Gus is an inch taller, but Bones has a five inch reach advantage.

Sanity Check

If I remember right, Jon Jones has an 84 inch reach--the same as boxing great Lennox Lewis.

Jones has much more than a 5 inch advantage in most of his fights. His advantage against Daniel Cormier was almost 12 inches DC having around a 72 inch reach.

Still think Jones isn't as effective against fighters with similar height and reach to him kind of like how Jose Aldo struggled the most with Max Holloway, Korean Zombie, Conor McGregor, Mark Hominick. Basically people with similar height / reach.

In Jones case the guys he struggled with the most were Alexander Gustafsson and Ovince St Preux. Very similar to Jose Aldo in that respect.

Sanity Check

Fun trivia for teh sports fans.

Mike Tyson's reach is around 70 inches. Lennox Lewis had 14 inches on him.

Points Awarded:

Pinoy-T-X gave Sanity Check 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    Rousey was a one trick pony who got exposed and kept losing. Pennington looks like shit at times too and gets lazy and gives up. Cupcake tate never really impressed me at all. Nunes looked like crap against shevchenko and got bullcrap split decision wins. Nunes is not good in my eyes and is going to get exposed.
    I definitely don't think Nunes sucks but I like Cyborg to get it done here.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    If I remember right, Jon Jones has an 84 inch reach--the same as boxing great Lennox Lewis.

Jones has much more than a 5 inch advantage in most of his fights. His advantage against Daniel Cormier was almost 12 inches DC having around a 72 inch reach.

Still think Jones isn't as effective against fighters with similar height and reach to him kind of like how Jose Aldo struggled the most with Max Holloway, Korean Zombie, Conor McGregor, Mark Hominick. Basically people with similar height / reach.

In Jones case the guys he struggled with the most were Alexander Gustafsson and Ovince St Preux. Very similar to Jose Aldo in that respect.
    Good points.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Nothing going on this weekend I see for MMA .. I hate the down time...

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

agree LOL...it was a great run there for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post

kcchiefs
    Go Chiefs
    kcchiefs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5070

Figured there would be a PLF or Bellator match but no.

Demonata

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Im going to play video games

Sanity Check

Which game?

I just got through replaying Tomb Raider from 2013.

Someone turn me on to something more modern, save me from 2000's gaming hell.

Pinoy-T-X
    Pinoy-T-X's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21609

I’m going to play with something else.
    Points Awarded:

Demonata gave Pinoy-T-X 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sanity Check

There's one more thing about Jon Jones last fight with DC that stands out to me.

Jones could have gotten punched in the face a lot more than he usually does. Some thought Daniel Cormier won rounds 1 and 2 before being finished by Jones in the 3rd. It could mean Jones' reactions and reflexes have deteriorated a little. Jones known for being hard to hit & not absorbing much damage in his fights, that could be a bit out of character.

Could be nothing, could be something to lookout for. Who knows.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy-T-X View Post
    I’m going to play with something else.

Points Awarded:

Pinoy-T-X gave Sanity Check 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Retibol
    Retibol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1001

Gus look very scary against Glover. yeah that fight should have been stopped by the cornerman much earlier.

The Jones who fought OSP will lose to Gustafsson every single time.
    We have no idéa which Jones shows up.

Putting money at -260 is just stupid.
    The bookies arent that easy to beat

If Jones loses, its not the end of the world. He can blame it on ring rust and will stil be one of the GOAT's.
    He is very happy to get this opportunity, which he probably didnt deserve

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by Retibol View Post
    Gus look very scary against Glover. yeah that fight should have been stopped by the cornerman much earlier.

The Jones who fought OSP will lose to Gustafsson every single time.
    We have no idéa which Jones shows up.

Putting money at -260 is just stupid.
    The bookies arent that easy to beat

If Jones loses, its not the end of the world. He can blame it on ring rust and will stil be one of the GOAT's.
    He is very happy to get this opportunity, which he probably didnt deserve
    Jones will not look like that i think. He was cautious because of a late notice. He didnt have much time to prepare, i think the circumstances played a role here.

My concern is related to Jones looking significantly slower against Cormier the second time. If you look at the first fight against gustaffson jones look liked he was outstruck. The numbers have it quite even , with a slight advantage to jones in significant strikes, but gustaffsson was more active throwing almost 20 punches more per round. Although these didnt land, many of them may look in the judges eyes like they did. He franky edgard jones a bit, and that was a much quicker and looser jones back then. Im afraid Jones is slower than gustaffson, perhaps with a margin im not comfortable with .Reason? Perhaps because of Jones increase in weight, which was something jones talked about one point in time. He had a wish of increase his size, muscle mass, but that has imo slowed him down a bit.

I still think jones is more accurate, varies hes punches a bit better, going to the body, uses both knees, and elbows, and the fact that jones has a higher hit %, i do think that jones is slightly better hitting the target. Also Jones nearly finished gustaffson in round 4 of their fight because he felt that he lagged behind on the judges score cards. So he also has the extra gear he can shift to if he feels that hes behind, im not sure gustaffson have those extra gears, he also was able to take gustaffson down, although only one time. So that may also sway the judges in a close round as we know, while gustaffson hardly went for takedowns if any. Jones also appeared to be the fresher fighter in the championship rounds. Also in the second cormier fight he seemed like his cardio was very good in round 3, while cormiers did not. Although i did remember that cormier won the first two rounds against jones, after re-watching yesterday, i see that this was wrong. Jones won slightly every round, but seemed to fight on a lower gear, or some sort of cruise control the first two rounds. But when cormier slowed down in round 3, it was very evident that Cormier would struggle for the last 15 minutes lets say if Jones wouldnt have gotten the KO. And what does that mean?
    Maybe that Jones would have found a way to finish Cormier in the later rounds anyway without a headkick, or for a very lopsided unanimous decision at worst.

Still, gustaffson superior handspeed may def play a key role in this 5 round affair. That is Gustaffsons advantage coming into this fight, and the handspeed advantage, unfortunately for jones bettors, as my self, may be even larger than the first time.
    Last edited by bjpenn85; 12-21-18 at 03:40 AM.

SmellMyFinger
    SmellMyFinger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3316

the osp fight if overused as an example of john's ability and the momentum of his career. he treated that fight like a warmup fight vs a dangerous powerstriker and mostly played it safe. fights are about individual matchups and from my perspective there is not much value in saying "oh if x fighter fought y fighter on that night he would have won..." people train differently for different opponents and their motivation and ambition varies with the task in front of them. long story short. Jones itd , most likey by sub imo

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by SmellMyFinger View Post
    the osp fight if overused as an example of john's ability and the momentum of his career. he treated that fight like a warmup fight vs a dangerous powerstriker and mostly played it safe. fights are about individual matchups and from my perspective there is not much value in saying "oh if x fighter fought y fighter on that night he would have won..." people train differently for different opponents and their motivation and ambition varies with the task in front of them. long story short. Jones itd , most likey by sub imo
    Strong points. Well put.

Sanity Check

CasaBonita
    CasaBonita's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

I guess this only help Nunes
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

^^^

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

praisebuddha
    praisebuddha's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3488

Hey guys!

I'm trying to go to the face-offs for this event on Friday here in Vegas. I haven't found any info online about how to get tickets though. Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by praisebuddha View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm trying to go to the face-offs for this event on Friday here in Vegas. I haven't found any info online about how to get tickets though. Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
    Do you mean the ceremonial weigh ins? I think those are usually free and open to the public. You can just show up and walk in.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

LBfightlife
    LBfightlife's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1062

they are held at the venue so likely T-Mobile arena. check ufc.com for times
    Points Awarded:

praisebuddha gave LBfightlife 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

praisebuddha

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks Hugo! If you've given any thought to it, what are your initial thoughts on Harris v. Arlovski?

Hugo de Naranja

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks Hugo! If you've given any thought to it, what are your initial thoughts on Harris v. Arlovski?
    I've got Harris. Think he is the better striker and will be able to keep it on the feet.

Unfortunate news regarding UFC 232. It looks like the event is being moved to California due to NSAC licensing issues for Jones.

praisebuddha

Yeah, just saw that..Unreal. Can't believe the UFC thought moving an entire event on 6 days notice was an acceptable option?!

I've got Harris. Think he is the better striker and will be able to keep it on the feet.

Unfortunate news regarding UFC 232. It looks like the event is being moved to California due to NSAC licensing issues for Jones.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

How in the fukk can they just move an event?

Hugo de Naranja

Yeah, just saw that..Unreal. Can't believe the UFC thought moving an entire event on 6 days notice was an acceptable option?!
    I think they want to finish 2018 off with a big PPV and the Jones vs. Gus bout is a big headliner.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Megan Anderson said that she found out that she is now fighting in California via the internet.

praisebuddha

Sure, I get that they wanna get paid but the backlash from fans, fighters, etc. probably will not be worth one more big headliner in 2018.

I think they want to finish 2018 off with a big PPV and the Jones vs. Gus bout is a big headliner.

First 123456 ... Last