THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero 2

Pay-Per-view 10:00 pm ET
    Robert Whittaker vs Yoel Romero (for middleweight title)
    Colby Covington vs Rafael dos Anjos (for interim welterweight title)
    Megan Anderson vs Holly Holm
    Andrei Arlovski vs Tai Tuivasa
    CM Punk vs Mike Jackson

FS1, 8:00 pm ET
    Curtis Blaydes vs Alistar Overeem
    Carla Esparza vs Claudia Gadelha
    Mirsad Bektic vs Ricardo Lamas
    Rashad Coulter vs Chris De La Rocha

UFC Fight Pass 6:15 pm ET
    Rashad Evans vs Anthony Smith
    Joseph Benavidez vs Sergio Pettis
    Bobby Green vs Clay Guida
    Dan Ige Mike Santiago

Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

GunShard gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07 gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pdibari

SmellMyFinger
    SmellMyFinger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3316

blaydes still bettable at -125 better jump on it as long as it lasts, i think this line will see some action

RDA + blaydes parlay (+224) 2.5u ! LETS GO !

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

damn ufc aint giving Sergio Pettis no breaks

SmellMyFinger

seeing phill brooks vs mike jackson on a ufc ppv poster makes me nauseous, they should put their records under their pictures just to highlight what a hit and run moneygrab mentality the ufc has towards marketing their product. that being said i'll be enjoing the rest of the card, one of the most solid ones of the year imo

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

man seeing CM punk train on the preview again......you can just tell he isnt a fighter/athlete
    sucks to say because hes trying super hard and has some heart but he just flat out isnt good, watching mike jackson strike at least he has some fluidity , CM PUNK looks like some random old dude at my local gym who just gets rag dolled

if this fights on the feet he will probably get KOd, even if it hits the mat im not sure he will be that great , of course Mickey Gall tapped out Jackson but hes leaps and bounds better then CM on the ground.... actually thinking about betting something on Jackson here
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave firekillex 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    man seeing CM punk train on the preview again......you can just tell he isnt a fighter/athlete
    sucks to say because hes trying super hard and has some heart but he just flat out isnt good, watching mike jackson strike at least he has some fluidity , CM PUNK looks like some random old dude at my local gym who just gets rag dolled

if this fights on the feet he will probably get KOd, even if it hits the mat im not sure he will be that great , of course Mickey Gall tapped out Jackson but hes leaps and bounds better then CM on the ground.... actually thinking about betting something on Jackson here

Is there new footage of CM Punk training?

I would like to see that. I think all of the footage available is old material from 2016. He could have improved since then.

People should be thankful for the additional exposure they'll receive from having CM Punk fight on the card. It gives them a bigger crowd and an opportunity to build their brand. The last thing they should be doing is hating on this.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post

Is there new footage of CM Punk training?

I would like to see that. I think all of the footage available is old material from 2016. He could have improved since then.

People should be thankful for the additional exposure they'll receive from having CM Punk fight on the card. It gives them a bigger crowd and an opportunity to build their brand. The last thing they should be doing is hating on this.
    Yea here is some secret footage

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    Yea here is some secret footage

Reminds me of Cody Garbrandt's uncle showing UFC embedded "the jab" while Justin Buchholz "whoas".

This is what UFC fighters want:

#1 Bigger UFC audience = higher pay.
    #2 Crossover promotion in terms of former NFL players or WWE wrestlers builds a bigger UFC crowd.

Unfortunately, there are elitist snobs like Joe Rogan who don't understand that having CM Punk fight on a UFC card will help to build its business, which will enable it to pay fighters more.

So we're a bit stuck in the stone age as far as that goes.

CM Punk fighting in the UFC is like Hulk Hogan being in Rocky 3.

Vince McMahon cut/fired Hulk Hogan from the WWF for being in Rocky 3. It took awhile for Vince McMahon to see that was a good move from a business perspective. CM Punk fighting in the UFC is the same. Shortsighted people with no business sense or imagination are hating on it when they should be embracing it.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 06-02-18 at 07:55 PM.

SmellMyFinger

this is a fighting organization and the advertised product is BEST VS BEST, top of the food chain fighters, not the make a wish foundation for people with mainstream exposure, i know it will bring money short term, i'm just saying it is not good for the sport long term for the premier organization to do things like this, and don't give me the bullshit "oh, you should be happy as a fan , what's good for the ufc is good for the fighters) that is only true if the fighters get a fair share and they don't, no tv deal money, no sponsors,ufc game cash for using their likeness, ppv points for very few etc.

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Oh Ima jump on that Megan Anderson line like I would love to jump on Megan herself. Pale, in shape, sweet thighs.

Anyways Ive been watching her fights and shes one of the better women out there. Holm is shot and It seems that they want Megan to win. Fresh faced, has that look and they gave her a great spot on the main card. Holly has had all the chances in the world and its time to step aside for new faces.

Over and Megan by dec. when the props come out. Megan ML looks good as well IMO.

Over 4.5 (+110)for Whit/Yoel looks good as well. Both tough and can have longer fights.

Depending where the over is set and the line I would love to hit Esparza/Gadelha over if the price is right.

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

I agree about Anderson as a 2-to-1 dog. And about pouncing on her like a jungle cat!

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

I like this card for watching but scratching my head when it comes to finding value. Nothing jumping out at me. Anybody with leans where I should start tape?

Only have watched tape for Anderson/Holm and think lines are about right. Anderson has a lot of raw talent but she'll have needed to improved a lot since her last few fights to take this.

JC2008

- I know Rashad Evans should have retired a long time ago but does anyone else think he should at least be worthy of being on the damn prelims instead of the Fight Pass prelims?

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

B nice to see this whole card since it is solid from top to bottom. Can everyone cross their fingers none of these fighters screw this thing up.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by JC2008 View Post
    - I know Rashad Evans should have retired a long time ago but does anyone else think he should at least be worthy of being on the damn prelims instead of the Fight Pass prelims?
    Its been said that UFC fighters on the prelims have more exposure than ones fighting on the PPV

"More people will see Rashad fight on the prelims than if Rashad had fought on the main PPV card."

That's what some say, clueless as to whether or not its true.

JC2008

Its been said that UFC fighters on the prelims have more exposure than ones fighting on the PPV

"More people will see Rashad fight on the prelims than if Rashad had fought on the main PPV card."

- Prelims perhaps... but he's on the Fight Pass early prelims lol

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

If I were the UFC, I'd rather have 100k people watching who actually buy PPVs instead of 300k people who don't buy PPVs watching. At least on the PPV card, you know that some amount watching are willing and actually have paid for an event.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    If I were the UFC, I'd rather have 100k people watching who actually buy PPVs instead of 300k people who don't buy PPVs watching. At least on the PPV card, you know that some amount watching are willing and actually have paid for an event.
    Let's be real.

If Rashad was on the main card and fought like an old man, everyone would complain: "OMG WHY IS RASHAD FIGHTING ON THE PAY PER VIEW CARD. WHO WANTS TO PAY MONEY TO WATCH AN OLD FIGHTER WHO ISNT IN THE TOP 30 COMPETE?"

The same applies to Joseph Benavidez if he doesn't perform well.

If people pay $60 for a PPV they expect to see relevent fights that have relevent fighters in them.

You can't begin to make a case for Rashad being on there and with Joseph Benavidez being out for so long, a case can't be made for him either.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 06-03-18 at 11:40 PM.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by SmellMyFinger View Post
    this is a fighting organization and the advertised product is BEST VS BEST, top of the food chain fighters, not the make a wish foundation for people with mainstream exposure, i know it will bring money short term, i'm just saying it is not good for the sport long term for the premier organization to do things like this, and don't give me the bullshit "oh, you should be happy as a fan , what's good for the ufc is good for the fighters) that is only true if the fighters get a fair share and they don't, no tv deal money, no sponsors,ufc game cash for using their likeness, ppv points for very few etc.
    If a former NFL player or boxer like Floyd Mayweather Jr. wanted to compete in the UFC, they could be on the main card. They're the best in the NFL, the best at boxing or whatever. It makes sense to see how the best in other sports do in MMA & doesn't detract from the UFC being a platform where the best athletes compete. Like it or not, CM Punk is one of the best WWE wrestlers out there. He should be able to fight in the UFC the same as any other athlete and people should respect him for working hard and eventually succeeding in his area of expertise.

So many people in MMA complain about not being respected. Well if you want respect, you should treat other people like CM Punk with the same respect you would want to be treated with. Its a two way street. You're not going to disrespect CM Punk than complain people don't respect you. You don't get that kind of pampered special treatment.

People talk about sponsorships in MMA without remembering Ben Henderson moved to bellator and received less sponsorship money than he was making under the reebok deal in the UFC. People talk about the UFC as if they don't remember the time Aljamain Sterling became a free agent and expected bellator and other organizations to pay out big money to have him compete, only for him to realize no one wanted to pay him more than his current UFC contract.

Anyways the point here is if people want mixed martial arts to grow and succeed they need all the allies and help they can get. If someone like CM Punk can draw a bigger audience who will help the sport to grow than people should embrace that instead of being arrogant elitists who think they're too good for a WWE wrestler to be fighting in the same sport they compete in.

Some UFC events do like a 5,000 person crowd. NFL games do like 75,000 spectators. Yet unfortunately due to MMA journalists pushing agendas rather than being informative or educational, somehow UFC fighters think they should be paid the same as NFL players who draw much bigger crowds and compete many more times per year. Its almost as if people forget the UFC was on the verge of bankruptcy 12 years ago when Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar saved the UFC from folding up and closing shop. People think there is a lot more money in running an MMA promotion than there actually is. Look at strikeforce, WSOF, affliction and all the other promotions who got into MMA thinking they would become billionaires only to end up closing down because they couldn't afford to pay fighters decent salaries without going bankrupt.

Don't get me started on MMA unionization either, where people like Leslie Smith complain about $20 baggage fees as if they don't realize union fees are far, far, higher than that.

rsynweap84
    rsynweap84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1591

RIP Andrei Arlovski, at least he'll go out on his shield, in the ring...also on a stretcher.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Let's be real.

If Rashad was on the main card and fought like an old man, everyone would complain: "OMG WHY IS RASHAD FIGHTING ON THE PAY PER VIEW CARD. WHO WANTS TO PAY MONEY TO WATCH AN OLD FIGHTER WHO ISNT IN THE TOP 30 COMPETE?"

The same applies to Joseph Benavidez if he doesn't perform well.

If people pay $60 for a PPV they expect to see relevent fights that have relevent fighters in them.

You can't begin to make a case for Rashad being on there and with Joseph Benavidez being out for so long, a case can't be made for him either.
    Really about Joe B? I don't feel this way at all about him. I do feel like this would be a great fight if it was kept standing but JOe B will realize his easiest path is to wrestle fuk Pettis. Which may turn out boring

SmellMyFinger

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    I like this card for watching but scratching my head when it comes to finding value. Nothing jumping out at me. Anybody with leans where I should start tape?

Only have watched tape for Anderson/Holm and think lines are about right. Anderson has a lot of raw talent but she'll have needed to improved a lot since her last few fights to take this.
    guida at +135 vs oliveira seems like a good bet, oli by sub small hedge if you're not that confident

blaydes like is dropping but if anybody caught him at even or even plus money as it was at one point i think is a good bet, as long as he dose not fall in love with his striking too much and gets caught up win a range kickboxing fight with reem i think he takes it

would also consider a little romero by ko bet , the line is not out yet but idt is up to +320

and as much as i respect hugo as a capper im going with dos anjos in the co main and i'm willing to put all my betpoints where my mouth is if he'll take the bet at even money

i need to look a bit more in depth at the fights to see if there is anything worth it

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

The Soldier of God for me. Tell em Uncle Chael sent yahh

SmellMyFinger

both good boxers, hard to say what carries more weight, robert's footwork and jab or romero's explosiveness and power
    cardio edge to robert but if he dose not pressure romero during the little rests he takes mid round it won't be too much of a factor

from a strategic pov, i don't think things will change much for either side, from robert's side it's a bit hard to gameplan for someone you have no choice but to kickbox with, he's not dumb enough to overextend and try to put on a combo long enough to crack that superchin early, so he has to rely on baiting to react to faints and focusing on not getting taken down until the monster starts to slow down then pick him apart later rounds, i see this fight as a coinflip with a slight edge to robert, but at the current price romero is the only play i'd consider

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    Really about Joe B? I don't feel this way at all about him. I do feel like this would be a great fight if it was kept standing but JOe B will realize his easiest path is to wrestle fuk Pettis. Which may turn out boring
    I don't know if Benavidez was ever a powerful athletic wrestler who took people down and grinded them out for 5 minutes the way Henry Cejudo is. I'm thinking Pettis will be the more technical and savvy striker and beat Benavidez on the feet. Pettis could be healthier & the better athlete at this point in his career.

After 12 years as a pro in MMA there's a chance Benavidez hasn't 100% recovered from his injuries and is only showing up for a paycheck. Also not certain what the training situation @ team alpha male is. They could have issues there. Clay Guida may be the only fighter out of that gym I can think of who looks to be doing well.

Cody Garbrandt, Sara McMann, Sage Northcutt and a few others out of team alpha male, may not be doing too great.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 06-04-18 at 06:30 PM.

trickboy
    trickboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2428

Just want to take a minute and thank Hugo for his picks here.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave trickboy 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by trickboy View Post
    Just want to take a minute and thank Hugo for his picks here.
    Points Awarded:

JC2008 gave Hugo de Naranja 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JC2008

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    Hugo --- Thanks. Do you have any early leans for this card; before lines shift?

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by JC2008 View Post
    Hugo --- Thanks. Do you have any early leans for this card; before lines shift?
    Covington and Anderson

JC2008

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    Covington and Anderson
    Agree on both. Thanks.

SmellMyFinger

i think with anderson we're basically asking the question, how likely is this her breakthrough moment, she's young and young fighters can make huge leaps form 1 fight to another, but holm is by far the best opponent she ever had, and one that did not look too bad against cyborg, although i think the line might be a bit high at +200 holm will have a rare fight in which she won't enjoy a height or reach advantage

gl anderson backers i might join you soon

SmellMyFinger

regarding the dos anjos fight, the reason i give the edge to do nachos is that i generally don't like betting on fighters that i can't trust if the wrestling fails, covington has nothing for rafael in the striking department, and his best case cenario of taking him down and smothering him, has to work all wgile avoiding subs and sweeps, and as much as the image of the khabib fight is ingrained in our minds, that happened more than 4 years ago vs someone who i'd pick vs covington in a wrestling, bjj or mma fight.

dos nachos ftw, save your money hugo
    Last edited by SmellMyFinger; 06-05-18 at 07:07 AM.

SmellMyFinger

lamas vs bektic i think is a great fight to livebet, i fully expect bektic to look good in the first and push up that already + money line on lamas, and if there is any sign of him loosing a beat towards the end of the first , might be a good time to drop some coin on an opportunistic finisher with proven cardio (not any cardio MEXICAN CARDIO) like lamas

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

1234 ... Last