NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    There may very well have never been a better written song than this (though the original is much better, obviously), but here are a few I'd put in the same league, in terms of pure songwriting:

Never listened to Son Volt, but I think prime Wilco is far, far better than Uncle Tupelo. YHF is one of the best albums I've ever heard, though I was so-so on it when I first listened to it.

If you haven't heard any of the songs I linked, you should give them a try. All masterpieces.
    Not familiar with Slint. I've posted Web in Front the last time we did this, great song, great band. And of course, I'm a huge VU and Lou Reed fan. Modest Mouse is not my fave however.

I'll stand by my earlier statement, that the replacements are de facto the greatest rock n roll band since the Stones. And Unsatisfied is perhaps the greatest song ever recorded.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Got to see them at Riot Fest this year, was a great great show.

marzwoody
    marzwoody's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some of those are quite abrasive and non-accessible (like "Good Morning, Captain"), but a few of them I think most people could enjoy (like "Running up that Hill" or "Heroin"). Biggest gem there is Wild Beasts, though, they're so unknown outside of the UK, which is bizarre because they're spectacular and are creating songs on the kind of level that almost no modern bands can compare to. They're majestic.
    Yeah man i really liked running up the hill and wild beasts. listening to good music after not listening to anything except the generic shit on the radio feels so good. im one of those ppl who doesn't need to listen 2 music everyday but i appreciate good music.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Not familiar with Slint. I've posted Web in Front the last time we did this, great song, great band. And of course, I'm a huge VU and Lou Reed fan. Modest Mouse is not my fave however.

I'll stand by my earlier statement, that the replacements are de facto the greatest rock n roll band since the Stones. And Unsatisfied is perhaps the greatest song ever recorded.

I'm actually not a huge Stones fan at all, I think that some of their songs are incredible but the majority of their catalogue doesn't quite do it for me. Did you listen to the Wild Beasts track?

As far as Replacements, yeah, they're incredible. VU are better, though, I think. Heroin may get my vote for greatest song ever recorded, but Unsatisfied crushes me every time. Every time.

Not sure if this is your kind of song, but this hits really hard:

One of the best songs I've heard in years.

marzwoody

Some of those are quite abrasive and non-accessible (like "Good Morning, Captain"), but a few of them I think most people could enjoy (like "Running up that Hill" or "Heroin"). Biggest gem there is Wild Beasts, though, they're so unknown outside of the UK, which is bizarre because they're spectacular and are creating songs on the kind of level that almost no modern bands can compare to. They're majestic.
    Yeah man i really liked running up the hill and wild beasts. listening to good music after not listening to anything except the generic shit on the radio feels so good. im one of those ppl who doesn't need to listen 2 music everyday but i appreciate good music.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by marzwoody View Post
    Wild Beasts are a great band, they're extremely consistent and very unique. You can spot a Wild Beasts song from a mile away. There's something so regal about them. Try this:

marzwoody

I heard this song from the film adventureland. amazing song.

marzwoody

good stuff.

marzwoody

marzwoody

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Ron_Paul_2012

I'm actually not a huge Stones fan at all, I think that some of their songs are incredible but the majority of their catalogue doesn't quite do it for me. Did you listen to the Wild Beasts track?

As far as Replacements, yeah, they're incredible. VU are better, though, I think. Heroin may get my vote for greatest song ever recorded, but Unsatisfied crushes me every time. Every time.

Not sure if this is your kind of song, but this hits really hard:

One of the best songs I've heard in years.

This song is so beautiful! As I was reading the words all the hair on my forearms, neck & head stood on end & I just started crying. I feel high as a kite!

Ron_Paul_2012

If you like Kate Bush you might like these.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

If anyone likes country out there, this lady is my new favorite about now:

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/exc...ew-single-head

(Don't know how to embed Soundcloud, sorry, song is at bottom of page).
    Bigday cruises around in his truck listening to this

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna Bet On It? View Post
    LMAO. Top of the food chain observation

Looks like a t-shirt hanging up with a floating visor above it. HAHAHA

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Fairly humorous, since Johnny Cash COVERED a song by the artist you're saying is garbage.

I love when people talk about Johnny Cash like it makes them deep. Congrats you've heard of one country musician.

Let's go a little deeper:

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    This song is so beautiful! As I was reading the words all the hair on my forearms, neck & head stood on end & I just started crying. I feel high as a kite!
    Mah boi. Yeah, it's a really affecting track, I'm a huge fan of their style but a lot of people have issues with screaming vocals and can't appreciate it as a result, which is a shame because it's really spectacular. Post-hardcore is probably my favourite genre of music currently, whoever decided that it was a good idea to take incredibly poetic lyrics and scream them melodically is a genius.

Love Cocteau Twins by the way, I'm a big dream pop guy. Heaven or Las Vegas is a spectacular album. Check out the Beach House track I posted earlier, they have a similar-ish style.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

If you like the Cocteau Twins, Violet Indiana is her follow up, not as good, but fills a gap.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Rory MacDonald @rory_macdonald

Here it is lol glad everything turned out ok in the end

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

speaking of music, what do you think of Optimus Bellum Domitor?

marzwoody

Womens Floyd

torrentzflow
    torrentzflow's Avatar Become A Pro!

are you serious acting like that was a legit win? How f-cking dumb are you? Herb himself is shaking his head for selling his body that night.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Rory MacDonald @rory_macdonald

Here it is lol glad everything turned out ok in the end
    i once heard that the number one emergency room visit is when people cut a bagel slicing it down holding it in there hand like a clown.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    i once heard that the number one emergency room visit is when people cut a bagel slicing it down holding it in there hand like a clown.
    Not even close. Number one emergency room visit is having a cough. Number two is whatever made up excuse is necessary to get pain meds.

marzwoody

Quote Originally Posted by torrentzflow View Post
    are you serious acting like that was a legit win? How f-cking dumb are you? Herb himself is shaking his head for selling his body that night.
    I'm not even gonna bother. 66 seconds that is all
    Last edited by marzwoody; 02-25-14 at 04:01 PM.

torrentzflow
    torrentzflow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by marzwoody View Post
    Tom Kongs gonna knock his a$$ out
    lol, stop acting like you're batting 1000 on here. your picks are trash and I will fade every one.

marzwoody

Quote Originally Posted by torrentzflow View Post
    lol, stop acting like you're batting 1000 on here. your picks are trash and I will fade every one.
    Did you really search thru ancient history to find that? lol and kong actually won that fight but got robbed. check out my recent UFC 170 picks and all my picks before that if you fade me your gonna be living on the street.

First ... 10111213