sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    The fact that he chose to hang out on the outside & eat front kicks to the face, I find truly baffling. .

Yeah real baffling after he tried to push Browne up against the cage with about 2 minutes left and had zero power to do so.
    Last edited by sideloaded; 08-18-13 at 05:47 PM.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Forgot Reem also threw one illegal strike that the ref saw and didnt stop the fight

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Yep, that muscle is all good and fine for people to stroke their hogs to, but no good for fighting at all.

Not that he had much better cardio or heart at LHW though.

And Browne's cardio looked just awful as well, even if he got pounded on hard.

Tommy Blingshyne
    Tommy Blingshyne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 304

fight could have easily been stopped but it wasnt...had the ref called it (which wouldnt have been unreasonable) are we having this same conversation of browne clearly being the right side? of course not...came down to the sole discretion of the ref and the ref let it rock...had the ref called the fight, theres no controversy, and reem backers feel justified...ref lets it rock, browne makes a nice comeback and now browne backers feel justified...

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

fight shouldnt have been stopped. When i watched it drunk i thought it might but watching it sober no way. Brown was fine on the bottom. Overeen is a average fighter and people will over value him his very next fight if he still has muscles. When he got outbox by Werdum people should have learned then the guy is overrated
    Last edited by Thor4140; 08-18-13 at 08:15 PM.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blingshyne View Post
    fight could have easily been stopped but it wasnt...had the ref called it (which wouldnt have been unreasonable) are we having this same conversation of browne clearly being the right side? of course not...came down to the sole discretion of the ref and the ref let it rock...had the ref called the fight, theres no controversy, and reem backers feel justified...ref lets it rock, browne makes a nice comeback and now browne backers feel justified...
    So you're saying the fight was a coin flip? I love taking -185 on 50/50 coin flips too.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    Both are cans, Reem was not the right side. That fight continues browne wins almost every time. Everyone thinks because overeem flailed it should have been stopped. Browne blocked every single shot to the face and was screaming he was ok, Mario said move, and he did. After that Overeem was completely gassed (surprising) and done. After the 3 min mark Overeem was moving in jello.

I can understand believing the hype and capping Overeem some huge fav after watching his highlights against James Thompson and Tony Sylvester. But after watching the fight and still claiming Overeem was the right side is being disingenuous.
    Turtling up and putting your arm around your head is not intelligent defence.

Anyway, there's nothing disingenuous about it. If I thought 'Reem were the wrong side, I'd admit it. I don't. He's better in literally every area, and my assumption was that he'd simply muscle Browne into the clinch and destroy him there. He did, and then he made a big mistake and tired himself out throwing punches to Browne's arms. The fact that 'Reem was gassed doesn't ensure a Browne win, either. Browne had pretty much no other effective offence the entire fight.

I agree.

So you're saying the fight was a coin flip? I love taking -185 on 50/50 coin flips too.
    He clearly didn't say that.

Tommy Blingshyne

no, im saying its easy to play monday morning QB and say browne was the obvious play...had the ref stopped the fight (and IMO it would have been reasonable) this conversation never happens...it was a very fine line btwn. the fight continuing and being waved off...

Tommy Blingshyne

picture this scenario...the ref calls the fight when browne is turtled up after taking brutal knees to the bread basket and follow up punches...while browne isnt unconscious hes def. taking big punishment...i dont think too many would call that stoppage a bad one...maybe some, but i think most would agree it was just...whats the perception of reem then? he looks like a penetrating monster again...u think to yourself, how did i get this beast for a measly -165...browne backers are saying, WTF was i thinking wasting my money on a guy that arguable lost to cheick kongo, looked bad against broughton and was knocked out by bigfoot?...thats the flipside of this scenario had the ref waved it off which he was very very close to doing...
    Points Awarded:

raag gave Tommy Blingshyne 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by mirinquads View Post
    ^Nah bro, only if he hits -500, not enough chalk
    true dat

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

picture this scenario...the ref calls the fight when browne is turtled up after taking brutal knees to the bread basket and follow up punches...while browne isnt unconscious hes def. taking big punishment...i dont think too many would call that stoppage a bad one...maybe some, but i think most would agree it was just...whats the perception of reem then? he looks like a penetrating monster again...u think to yourself, how did i get this beast for a measly -165...browne backers are saying, WTF was i thinking wasting my money on a guy that arguable lost to cheick kongo, looked bad against broughton and was knocked out by bigfoot?...thats the flipside of this scenario had the ref waved it off which he was very very close to doing...
    But history shows Reem is a front runner and if he doesn't get ya out of there early u are probably are gonna lose taking him. Betting these type of guys is way to risky for me. If Lesnar doesn't quit he probably could have pulled a Carwin on Reem but than again Reem was at the top of his roid game so who knows how those knees felt.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Turtling up and putting your arm around your head is not intelligent defence.

lol wtf would you call it then?

Someone is hitting you in head so you move your arm in the way... nope that isn't intelligent.. not at all...

you are pathetic but entertaining.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol wtf would you call it then?

Someone is hitting you in head so you move your arm in the way... nope that isn't intelligent.. not at all...

you are pathetic but entertaining.
    I would call it instinct. People get stopped while turtled up all the time. Because if you're hurt badly but not unconscious, you're going to instinctively cover your head. Doesn't mean you're coherent enough to fight.

Glad to see you're still finding productive ways to spend your time on SBR though.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I would call it instinct. People get stopped while turtled up all the time. Because if you're hurt badly but not unconscious, you're going to instinctively cover your head. Doesn't mean you're coherent enough to fight.

Glad to see you're still finding productive ways to spend your time on SBR though.
    yea when they ignore the ref you are right. That didn't happen though did it?

MD

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    yea when they ignore the ref you are right. That didn't happen though did it?
    Yes it did. Even according to Browne's recollection of the fight, all he did was shout "I'm ok" to Yamasaki. He was laying there with his arm around his head clearly not defending himself, and was dropped 2-3 times with knees. Fightmetric had Overeem hitting Browne 46 times (though their stats are often unrealiable, so take that with a grain of salt). How many of those do you think were not during the period where Overeem pinned Browne against the fence, dropped him repeatedly and rained down punches on him?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

What about he illegal knee that reem through that should've been a point taken away? Reem didn't look like a monster at all. Browne backed right up to the fence and let Reem do whatever he wanted for 3 minutes and the over hyped loser still couldnt finish the fight.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

no, im saying its easy to play monday morning QB and say browne was the obvious play...had the ref stopped the fight (and IMO it would have been reasonable) this conversation never happens...it was a very fine line btwn. the fight continuing and being waved off...

No, all Im saying is given Reem's past, Can crushing, PED use and body morph, Low T confirmation and Reem's shitty gas tank I would never bet on him against a top 10 heavyweight. Won both times fading him after the drug bust.

No Mondayy morning quarterbacking here. It's like you guys dont understand gambling and how you need to take all the info in BEFORE the fight. How is that monday morning quarterbacking?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

"Reem is better in every area" KO'd twice by two guys who aren't world beaters. "REEM still was the right side"

Keep jacking yourself off

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Cant believe this post got 2 points. Raag you're a f-cking idiot.

How about I cant believe a guy who got a lucky draw in K-1, abused peds, crushed mma cans, got a gift Belt in dream is -165 over anyone in the UFC

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Never said is was the obvious play. SAID IT WAS MY PLAY. And said anyone who still thinks REEM was the right side is mentally masturbating themselves.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Done wasting my time with all the f-cking absolute retards on this board. Tommy cant type for shit. MD is cringing to read. Sac and Raag lapping MD's ballsack. Disgusting. Reminds me of pouysophy after Reem's last KO.

Quote Originally Posted by pouyasophy View Post
    Jose Aldo -240 + Alistair Overeem -360...

I don't expect either fighter to even make my heart beat fast at any time during the fight...

I may be wrong, but I think Aldo is just too fast to be taken and held down for multiple rounds and I believe Edgar's legs will get kicked similar to Faber's when he fought Aldo. Aldo is a little mix of Anderson and BJ Penn in their primes. Jiu-jitsu, quickness, killer instinct, fast hands, brutal knees, and pretty humble. It's very likely that Aldo doesn't finish Edgar because he gets tired, but I'd be surprised to see Edgar take 3 out of 5.

Overeem is quicker, bigger, stronger, better, more technical, and hungrier than Antonio Silva. Bigfoot also has a somewhat weak chin. I expect Overeem to win in the 1st round and call out Cain. If Cain somehow takes Overeem down, lays on him, and Overeem gets tired, he can win, but that's very unlikely.

you might be the worst capper of all time

Quote Originally Posted by pouyasophy View Post
    Yeah Overeem didn't even win a round. You didn't get lucky at all. Bigfoot had it from the opening round
    Fading him since feb but im still a monday morning quarterback. Even though I said I was on Browne BEFORE the fight. One difference. If the fight is stopped you wouldn't see me in here saying "I still had the right side." How the f-ck can you say that after a KO???
    Last edited by sideloaded; 08-19-13 at 09:54 AM.

Tommy Blingshyne

No, all Im saying is given Reem's past, Can crushing, PED use and body morph, Low T confirmation and Reem's shitty gas tank I would never bet on him against a top 10 heavyweight. Won both times fading him after the drug bust.

No Mondayy morning quarterbacking here. It's like you guys dont understand gambling and how you need to take all the info in BEFORE the fight. How is that monday morning quarterbacking?
    maybe i missed the threads where you gave your play and rationale behind them...ive only come across them AFTER the fight...all im saying is, the fight was very close to being stopped...all youre rationale on why you were fading reem was a split second from being thrown out the window...ref calls it, and reem backers come out in droves banging their chests much like browne backers are...

Tommy Blingshyne

If the fight is stopped you wouldn't see me in here saying "I still had the right side." How the f-ck can you say that after a KO???

thats my entire point...you were a split second away from the fight being stopped and being "on the wrong side" yet here you are in this thread, banging your chest proudly like "how could anyone bet overeem as a favorite in the UFC" ??? eventhough he had browne crippled on the verge of defeat...some "i told you so type shit"...this isnt the fight for that...take that shit to the shogun/sonnen thread where it holds weight...if anything, the way this fight played out, you should just be happy to cash the ticket...

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

I do think Sider is right tho. I mean penetrating Overateeem does this too much and as he says he was coming in with more question marks than statements. I had Connor + Overeem parlays and Overeem + Condit and shit but as soon as i saw Browne scrambling and made the ref keep the fight alive i hitted hard Browne @ +630 live.
    I do feel i had the wrong side in Overeem from the get-go. He was, obviously, about to stop Browne and Brownes bets could have easily go down the sink but i feel he was the correct side as a dog although im glad i played it the way i did since i was freerolling for almost 1000 bucks on Browne.

hobbesITD
    hobbesITD's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who could have predicted a Mike's Gym fighter would fight exactly like every other Mike's Gym fighter: bum-rush their opponent early, gas horribly, and get their chin cracked? You would need a crystal ball for something like that.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by hobbesITD View Post
    Who could have predicted a Mike's Gym fighter would fight exactly like every other Mike's Gym fighter: bum-rush their opponent early, gas horribly, and get their chin cracked? You would need a crystal ball for something like that.
    In fairness to the 'Reem, his gameplan was close to optimal going into the fight. He didn't simply bullrush Travis, he brought him into the space at which Travis has the least weapons, and Overeem has the most. At kicking range, Browne is a threat. Outside of kicking range, Browne is no threat, and in in-fighting range, Browne is a minimal threat. I'm not even sure how gassed he was. I'm obviously not claiming that he wasn't gassed (I assumed he was; he unloaded a lot of strikes on Browne), but I don't remember seeing anything occur during the round which made me think that he had slowed down considerably. I probably need to rewatch it.

Very good gameplan by Browne, better gameplan by Overeem. Unwavering determination made up for the deficit, and it was really an impressive display by Browne, in terms of intangibles. The 'Reem will probably get a shitty opponent next, be undervalued, I'll bet on him, and he'll get KO'd again.

hobbesITD
    hobbesITD's Avatar Become A Pro!

Things Mike is good at:

- Teaching people to punch/kick very hard, accurately, in combination, like a button masher on Tekken
    - Finding steroids

Things Mike is not good at:

- Protecting his fighter's chins in training
    - Producing well-conditioned athletes that can pace themselves for more than a round
    - Any game plan that isn't "blitzkrieg"

That camp is toxic for Reem.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

In fairness to the 'Reem, his gameplan was close to optimal going into the fight. He didn't simply bullrush Travis, he brought him into the space at which Travis has the least weapons, and Overeem has the most. At kicking range, Browne is a threat. Outside of kicking range, Browne is no threat, and in in-fighting range, Browne is a minimal threat. I'm not even sure how gassed he was. I'm obviously not claiming that he wasn't gassed (I assumed he was; he unloaded a lot of strikes on Browne), but I don't remember seeing anything occur during the round which made me think that he had slowed down considerably. I probably need to rewatch it.

Very good gameplan by Browne, better gameplan by Overeem. Unwavering determination made up for the deficit, and it was really an impressive display by Browne, in terms of intangibles. The 'Reem will probably get a shitty opponent next, be undervalued, I'll bet on him, and he'll get KO'd again.
    Jesus Christ, you need to rewatch it my dude.

Overeem was punching like an underwater bar brawling can at around the 3:13 mark IIRC. His back is to the camera and his punches are farcically slow and sublethal thereafter. He literally had no gas left in the tank.

I'm sorry but anyone that gasses that hard who has no heart and is fighting someone resilient doesn't deserve to be 60-70% implied to win. Overeem was square.

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna Bet On It? View Post

Overeem was punching like an underwater bar brawling can at around the 3:13 mark IIRC. His back is to the camera and his punches are farcically slow and sublethal thereafter. He literally had no gas left in the tank.

I'm sorry but anyone that gasses that hard who has no heart and is fighting someone resilient doesn't deserve to be 60-70% implied to win. Overeem was square.
    Your wasting your time. MD is too insecure to ever admit when he has made an obvious mistake.

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Overeem is auto fade in the US, holmes.

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

What was unbelievable was that Browne just let Reem back him straight into the fence every time he put pressure, even after the barrage. No circling out. Had Reem just had an iota of cardio, and hadn't punched Travis arm 20 times, trying to produce a stoppage that wasnt there, he would have most definitely been able to produce a nonforced KO. The fact that the guy has one of the most awful striking defenses when not wearing K1 gloves, and can't defend a front kick thrown 10 times or more in the fight doesn't help of course.

I agree on the Mike camp though, its not the style to fight when your gastank is that limited.

MD

That's short-sighted. If Yamasaki had stopped the fight when Overeem was pounding on Browne, would you be in this thread arguing the same point? I can almost guarantee you would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Your wasting your time. MD is too insecure to ever admit when he has made an obvious mistake.
    Except that I always admit when I think my plays are bad. I admitted that the Hall play was piss-poor immediately after the fight. Didn't defend it even a little bit.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

That's short-sighted. If Yamasaki had stopped the fight when Overeem was pounding on Browne, would you be in this thread arguing the same point? I can almost guarantee you would not.
    Yes, I absolutely would when Overeem would be huffing & puffing with pursed lips when Rogan was interviewing him and the stoppage was premature.

Look, on the one hand you claimed that the fight should've been stopped when Browne was dropped three times. I saw two knockdowns unless you somehow count the illegal knee to the head when Browne was already grounded. It's convenient how Overeem backers disregarded that little faux pas, which would've bought Browne time to recover and could've changed the complexion of the ground & pound further. On the other hand, you claimed that Overeem showed low fight IQ by throwing an endless barrage of punches into Travis Browne's arm while he was covering up. There was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that any ref would've called a stoppage from those knockdowns without follow-up. It was that follow-up, for better or worse, that was the contentious issue of whether Alistar should've been granted the stoppage or not. You can't force a stoppage in MMA when it's not there. The very problem with Overeem is that he HAS to force the stoppage, because his ability to finish decreases exponentially with time. At that point in time, it's pretty much go for broke or he'd lose by TKO/decision via gassing.

Either you approve of Alistair going for the finish right there or you concede that the fight shouldn't have been stopped without the follow-up. You can't have it both ways. Only Alistair Overeem can suck & blow at the same time.

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Perhaps its not that good of comparison, but remembering the Lesnar fight Overeem did pace himself well and just picked the shots that meant something. I think it's amazing that a guy who has had 50 fights blows his wad like that.

MD

Yes, I absolutely would when Overeem would be huffing & puffing with pursed lips when Rogan was interviewing him and the stoppage was premature.

Look, on the one hand you claimed that the fight should've been stopped when Browne was dropped three times. I saw two knockdowns unless you somehow count the illegal knee to the head when Browne was already grounded. It's convenient how Overeem backers disregarded that little faux pas, which would've bought Browne time to recover and could've changed the complexion of the ground & pound further. On the other hand, you claimed that Overeem showed low fight IQ by throwing an endless barrage of punches into Travis Browne's arm while he was covering up. There was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that any ref would've called a stoppage from those knockdowns without follow-up. It was that follow-up, for better or worse, that was the contentious issue of whether Alistar should've been granted the stoppage or not. You can't force a stoppage in MMA when it's not there. The very problem with Overeem is that he HAS to force the stoppage, because his ability to finish decreases exponentially with time. At that point in time, it's pretty much go for broke or he'd lose by TKO/decision via gassing.

Either you approve of Alistair going for the finish right there or you concede that the fight shouldn't have been stopped without the follow-up. You can't have it both ways. Only Alistair Overeem can suck & blow at the same time.
    I think it's very, very disingenuous for you to say that if the fight had been stopped, you would be saying the exact same thing. I find that difficult to believe. Maybe you personally would have still believed that Browne was the right side, but I doubt you would have posted about it.

I don't discount the illegal knee to the head. The fight should have been stopped before that ever happened, though.

I'm not saying Overeem shouldn't have followed up, I'm saying that he should have been smarter about it. Much smarter. He could have kneed Browne to the body again on the ground, he could have elbowed him, he could have attempted to punch around or under his guard. Instead, he rained down full-force punches right onto Browne's arms and gassed himself out. The issue is how he followed it up.

Browne backers like to point out that Overeem gasses hard, or that he has a bum chin as reasons for why Browne was the right side. Browne had no answer for Overeem's clinch, he could not control the range of the fight, and his only offence was a barrage of front kicks and roundhouse kicks, with which he landed one clean and finished 'Reem. Overeem pushed him into the fence immediately when he wanted to, and if your game plan is to maintain kicking range, that is a very bad sign. Overeem had a lot of things working against him in that fight, but Browne did, also, and I would gladly make that bet again.

First 12345 Last