Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Lick496 View Post
    avoid a strike? You only cant kick them if im not mistaken?
    yeah I didn't word tht very well, I meant head kicks and knees (which are big part of Overeem's game). Obviously the other main reason for doing it is that it's hard to punch down and connect on the chin when you are so low to the ground!

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Correct, you can't knee or kick to the head. And well... Lyoto just happens to be very good at that. Bones was trying to bait him.
    Well, I was talking about punching, so I dunno why Vaughany stepped in to correct me.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    yeah I didn't word tht very well, I meant head kicks and knees (which are big part of Overeem's game). Obviously the other main reason for doing it is that it's hard to punch down and connect on the chin when you are so low to the ground!

Jones is pretty tall, so he is in a nice punch/uppercut range when he does that, but his speed/movement will keep him from getting hit when he does that.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Jones is pretty tall, so he is in a nice punch/uppercut range when he does that, but his speed/movement will keep him from getting hit when he does that.
    Machida would have had to of gotten on his knees to uppercut Jones

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Well, I was talking about punching, so I dunno why Vaughany stepped in to correct me.
    Have you ever tried punching somebody who is 3 foot off the ground?

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Machida would have had to of gotten on his knees to uppercut Jones
    That is a SEVERE exaggeration. Machida and Rampage could have EASILY uppercutted a Jon Jones who is standing still in front of them in that position. It would be a CLEAN shot. Why waste a post with this extreme exaggeration, I don't get it. If Machida got on his knees, he would have to punch up to touch Jon's chin, it wouldn't be an uppercut.

In that position, Jon's head is at the height of the opponents groin, not ankles.

Have you ever tried punching somebody who is 3 foot off the ground?
    A) When Jones is in that position, I'm sure he is above 4 feet. B) Yeah, I would easily knock someone out with an uppercut if they were in that position 3 feet off the ground in front of me.
    Last edited by gabe; 12-15-11 at 10:48 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

B) Yeah, I would easily knock someone out with an uppercut if they were in that position 3 feet off the ground in front of me.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

No different than punching a midget.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

No different than punching a midget.
    ha how many midgets have u punched u bastard!

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

ha how many midgets have u punched u bastard!
    every one who has looked at me wrong.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

every one who has looked at me wrong.
    They all look wrong.

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

That is a SEVERE exaggeration. Machida and Rampage could have EASILY uppercutted a Jon Jones who is standing still in front of them in that position. It would be a CLEAN shot. Why waste a post with this extreme exaggeration, I don't get it. If Machida got on his knees, he would have to punch up to touch Jon's chin, it wouldn't be an uppercut.

In that position, Jon's head is at the height of the opponents groin, not ankles.

A) When Jones is in that position, I'm sure he is above 4 feet. B) Yeah, I would easily knock someone out with an uppercut if they were in that position 3 feet off the ground in front of me.
    I'm with Vaughany here. Punching somebody that low isn't easy and they probably never train to punch at that angle. There's actually a very powerful (very hard to stop) takedown that Jones could do from there that we used to call "The Dive". I haven't seen anybody use it yet in MMA. I think Jones could easily catch some guys with it.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    I'm with Vaughany here. Punching somebody that low isn't easy and they probably never train to punch at that angle. There's actually a very powerful (very hard to stop) takedown that Jones could do from there that we used to call "The Dive". I haven't seen anybody use it yet in MMA. I think Jones could easily catch some guys with it.
    We weren't talking about whether it'd be easy or not lol of course it wouldn't be easy, especially 'cos of the movement.

He was saying Machida would have to get on his knees to reach Jones' chin. I was saying that's not true. I've seen a lot of fighters start upercutting opponents as soon as they fall to their knees, so it's easy to hit someone who is that low- just not easy when they're moving around like Jon Jones.

"The Dive" sounds interesting, would be sweet if he used it. I get excited about new maneuvers being used for the first time in the Octagon.

snapperman2
    Keep bothering on
    snapperman2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16306

Lesnar will beat Overeem. He has better cardio. If he gets on top of Overeem just once, it will all be over.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I've seen a lot of fighters start upercutting opponents as soon as they fall to their knees, so it's easy to hit someone who is that low
    What? Who? I can't recall ever seeing this.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha yeah, I was starting to think I was the only one who was confused! Would love to here some examples?

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

Quote Originally Posted by snapperman2 View Post
    If he gets on top of Overeem just once, it will all be over.
    IMO -- you're right. The question is -- will it happen once?

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

ha yeah, I was starting to think I was the only one who was confused! Would love to here some examples?
    You guys haven't seen a fighter get knocked down to his knees then take more punches? WTF?

Pretty sure Maynard did it to Edgar, I've seen it a lot

DarkfallOnline
    DarkfallOnline's Avatar Become A Pro!

You guys haven't seen a fighter get knocked down to his knees then take more punches? WTF?

Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer. Chris shot in at the end I think and ate an uppercut. He was pretty much finished well before that IMO as he took a substantial amount of heavy shots.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Yes we have but gettin stunned and then taking more punches is completely different to monkey-crawling out like Jones' does as they aren't in a position to defend themselves properly.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Yes we have but gettin stunned and then taking more punches is completely different to monkey-crawling out like Jones' does as they aren't in a position to defend themselves properly.
    That wasn't the argument. You were saying it wouldn't be possible to punch someone in the face in that position. You said you'd have to get on your knees to reach a face-shot. I was saying it would be very possible, unless they're moving around like Jon Jones.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

That wasn't the argument. You were saying it wouldn't be possible to punch someone in the face in that position. You said you'd have to get on your knees to reach a face-shot. I was saying it would be very possible, unless they're moving around like Jon Jones.
    Yeah and I was obviously talking about it in the context of moving like Jon Jones seeing as I originally said that Lesnar should copy him!

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Yeah and I was obviously talking about it in the context of moving like Jon Jones seeing as I originally said that Lesnar should copy him!
    It escalated from there. You said Machida would have to be on his knees to be able to punch Jon Jones in the face in that position.

I said I've seen fighters who have knocked opponents down to their knees then continued with shots to the face, then you said you had never seen it and asked for examples.

I don't know, you're confusing, man.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Misunderstanding... I thought you were saying you've seen a lot of fighters that get knocked down to their knees that retaliate by uppercutting the 'standing' opponent. I was trying to think of a fighter that had thrown an uppercut from their knees.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Misunderstanding... I thought you were saying you've seen a lot of fighters that get knocked down to their knees that retaliate by uppercutting the 'standing' opponent. I was trying to think of a fighter that had thrown an uppercut from their knees.
    Ha.

No, meant they get knocked to their knees, then eat some uppercuts.

Lick496
    Lick496's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2196

can we get back to the fight?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Lick496 View Post
    can we get back to the fight?
    Frank Mir is saying Brock has a 90% of winning because he can take him down. That doesn't really scare me because I believe Overeem can sub him off his back in round one at least until he gasses out. If this fight gets to round 2 Overeem is done. Brock has a nice gas tank for this size.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    Frank Mir is saying Brock has a 90% of winning because he can take him down. That doesn't really scare me because I believe Overeem can sub him off his back in round one at least until he gasses out. If this fight gets to round 2 Overeem is done. Brock has a nice gas tank for this size.
    Which fights have you seen him gas in? I haven't seen many of his fights, so I don't know how to perceive his gas tank. It didn't seem too bad against Werdum, if my memory serves me right.

DarkfallOnline
    DarkfallOnline's Avatar Become A Pro!

I view the "monkey crawling" as a mental tactic. When the bout first starts JJ's opponent is looking down, then the beast stands at full height...

On the topic of Overeem vs Lesnar: I highly doubt Allistairs ability to submit Brock from the bottom. The only sub I feel Ubereem could pull off would be a guillotine choke from TDD, but obviously this will wear on his arms.

If Brock takes Allistair down, Allistair will want to stand up very quickly rather than fishing for subs.

Neither fighter has proven their cardio. I give Brock a slight edge in the cardio based on his wrestling background. If the fight goes into "deep waters" his superior wrestling should be able to take a tired Allistair down and keep him there.

Brock has everything to gain and nothing to lose with this fight.

At this point in time I pick Allistair in this fight mainly due to Brocks surgery. %wise I feel fighters coming off an injury do worse in their first fight back. I want to see weigh ins as it will give an indication of Brocks condition.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Man, I got too used to having a card every weekend. This sucks. I'm feeling withdrawals.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Man, I got too used to having a card every weekend. This sucks. I'm feeling withdrawals.
    Umm, there's a great card this weekend. I expect all the fights to be terrific except the cyborg fight which will probably be one-sided.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Which fights have you seen him gas in? I haven't seen many of his fights, so I don't know how to perceive his gas tank. It didn't seem too bad against Werdum, if my memory serves me right.
    You're right at heavyweight he has looked better. But most of his pride fights at LHW he gassed really bad. He's only went 3 rounds against Werdum at heavyweight so we will see. I just cant see him coming into this fight with great cardio with how horrible his camp has been.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Umm, there's a great card this weekend. I expect all the fights to be terrific except the cyborg fight which will probably be one-sided.
    I don't really get excited about Strikeforce... Big Mousasi fan, though. Gonna have to DVR it, busy tomorrow night.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Andre Ward vs Carl Froch as well

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Andre Ward vs Carl Froch as well
    Yep. I think there's a tiny bit of value in the Froch line.

First 123 Last