PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann

Middleweights Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann targeted for UFC 136 in Houston. Verbal agreements are in place for the bout, though contracts haven't been signed.

I wonder if this will be 3 or 5 rounds. There's no way this can be a main event, is there?

I would favor Sonnen to win a 3 round decision, but if its 5 rounds it could get interesting in the later rounds.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Absolutely peculiar matchmaking. Sonnen wins every round, regardless of whether it's a main event. Only interesting thing about this fight will be seeing which angle Sonnen takes in the trash talking.

Honestly, they should have given Stann Munoz if they wanted to carry on legitimizing him as a force at 185. That's a winnable fight for him.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1956

I thought Sonnen was in prison.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

Wasn't he slated to fight machida?

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Sonnen via decision. Round starts, takedown, hold for 5 minutes, rinse, repeat. Hopefully the odds open close due to Sonnen's time off and Stann being on a streak right now.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    That was just a rumor

3 rounds or 5 Sonnen wins

Hannibal

anyone think sonnen will come out at better than -300?

Ladle

anyone think sonnen will come out at better than -300?
    Maybe in the -250 region, given Stann's recent success and hype. Unless the line is really good, I'll wait for the Sonnen by decision line.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    Absolutely peculiar matchmaking. Sonnen wins every round, regardless of whether it's a main event. Only interesting thing about this fight will be seeing which angle Sonnen takes in the trash talking.

Honestly, they should have given Stann Munoz if they wanted to carry on legitimizing him as a force at 185. That's a winnable fight for him.

spot on...bad match-up for stann...

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Why would Stann agree to this?

Hannibal

Its not peculiar at all.. its genius for the reasons you listed

They take a popular and likeable all american hero, who the audience (not as dumb as you think) all know will never be a champion, and feed him to a shit talking contender. The result is that they will have created the ultimate heel in Sonnen, who will be more popular and controversial than ever, and create the biggest PPV buy ever for a title fight that was already going to get huge buys.

Hannibal

Why risk Sonnen losing to a real contender? He's already got hype from his last performance against Silva to justify a rematch. However, it has been a long time since he's been in action. A tune up fight like Stann will be a perfect reminder for the fans.

TrajaD
    TrajaD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

lol bring machida

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Have to consider the lay off coupled with lack of PED's or testosterone supplements, but at first glance have to think Sonnen puts Stann on back and beats him up for 3 rounds.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

horrible fight style matchup for stann. sonnen by decision.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

i was hoping to get machida at anything close to good odds vs sonnen. there goes that plan.
    Last edited by sportsfanatic; 07-06-11 at 11:26 PM.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

I kinda wanted to see Wanderlei or Machida get a crack at Sonnen. He called Lyoto a "tune up fight" And Wanderlei just doesn't like Chael.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by iQon View Post
    I kinda wanted to see Wanderlei or Machida get a crack at Sonnen. He called Lyoto a "tune up fight" And Wanderlei just doesn't like Chael.
    sonnen would beat wanderlei. machida is probably the worst stylistic matchup for sonnen. great take-down defense and great stand-up.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    Have to consider the lay off coupled with lack of PED's or testosterone supplements, but at first glance have to think Sonnen puts Stann on back and beats him up for 3 rounds.
    Does this man look like he's lacking in the testosterone department?

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

it will be interesting to see what sonnen has to say about stann

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

Sonnen looks like he doubled his steroid intake...

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

sonnen was outstriking silva, he is going to murder stann.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

The layoff could only give Sonnen more time to pump himself full of PED's just in time to ease his way off of them and prevent getting caught. I think he wins this by 3 rd dec.

thesox0311
    thesox0311's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Chael via Wrestle F*uck.... i love Stann, and think he can stand and bang with anyone, but this will be Chael on top for 15 minutes with that vicous ground and pound in the guard. Stann doesnt work great off his back either, i think this is an easy win for chael to set up Silva v. Sonnen rematch. Which i also like Sonnen in.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Stann via sloppy triangle 3rd round a la massenzio!...............i jest

Pin2Win
    Pin2Win's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't like this fight... Big fans of both fighters!

JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

fuk i wanted to see him take on Machida

Ladle

Its not peculiar at all.. its genius for the reasons you listed

They take a popular and likeable all american hero, who the audience (not as dumb as you think) all know will never be a champion, and feed him to a shit talking contender. The result is that they will have created the ultimate heel in Sonnen, who will be more popular and controversial than ever, and create the biggest PPV buy ever for a title fight that was already going to get huge buys.
    So you're suggesting they're intentionally using Stann as fodder to legitimize Sonnen as the ultimate heel (even though the world and its dog is already aware of Sonnen's status as the ultimate heel)?

Nope, I don't buy it. Plain and simple shitty matchmaking if they planned on turning Stann into a legitimate draw, because he's got absolutely nothing for Sonnen. Munoz/Stann is a much better match-up on the basis that Stann would have probably knocked Munoz's head off and ended up looking like a million bucks.

Hannibal

And you're suggesting there is not a single reason that this matchup is beneficial to the sport or the company....rather that joe silva is just bad at his job.

As a hardcore fan, you know who and what Sonnen is. My friends that go to bars to watch the popular UFCs...they barely know who sonnen is, and if they knew anything, they already forgot.

Ladle

And you're suggesting there is not a single reason that this matchup is beneficial to the sport or the company....rather that joe silva is just bad at his job.
    Didn't say that. Since when does one instance of poor matchmaking make you bad matchmaker?

What I'm actually suggesting is that it's a bad idea to use Stann as fodder for a guy who already has a very credible case for a title shot. If the UFC were keen on turning Stann into some kind of draw at 185 - which they seemed to be - then Mark Munoz is easily the best opponent for him right now. Sonnen is just going to expose Stann as deficient repeatedly and successively.

As a hardcore fan, you know who and what Sonnen is. My friends that go to bars to watch the popular UFCs...they barely know who sonnen is, and if they knew anything, they already forgot.
    People who are so apathetic that they "already forgot" that Sonnen dominated the current champion for four and a half rounds, will probably be equally as apathetic a few months after Sonnen has laid on Stann for three rounds.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5230

epic 20 min interview with Sonnen before UFC 132, he goes off on a ton of people

http://www.mmafighting.com/video/cha...nen-backstage/

Hannibal

Sonnen won't just lay on him. He will beat his ass for 3 rounds.

What the casual fans won't forget though...is Sonnen calling an american hero a fraud or whatever else he comes up with.

aznufcguy
    aznufcguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sonnen wins this one easily. Putting against the best wrestler in the division is asking him to lose. Better off having him fight Bisping, Munoz, or even a Damian Maia.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Bodog opened sonnen at -210

12 Last