Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll spend the entirety of my bank roll on getting Cheick Kongo assassinated if he f*cks up tomorrow night.

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    I'll spend the entirety of my bank roll on getting Cheick Kongo assassinated if he f*cks up tomorrow night.
    Them's is fightin' words!!! haha!

I think you guys are good, I just think its a risky fight to go big on and it seems a lot of people went crazy on him. What did you end up putting down? But overall I think kongo is more well rounded and will win if he sticks to a solid gameplan and doesn't slug with pat and neutralizes the leg kicks. GL brother!

Ladle

Quote Originally Posted by MMAbetMASTA View Post
    Them's is fightin' words!!! haha!

I think you guys are good, I just think its a risky fight to go big on and it seems a lot of people went crazy on him. What did you end up putting down? But overall I think kongo is more well rounded and will win if he sticks to a solid gameplan and doesn't slug with pat and neutralizes the leg kicks. GL brother!
    Cheers man, you too.

I went pretty big on him; take a look at my betting thread to see why. I feel very confident now, but I'll probably be sweating a bit come fight time. Important fight for lots of people on this forum!

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I realize Kongo seems to have an easy gameplan to victory in this fight but it surprises me that some excellent cappers are SO confident that he'll win. Kongo has rarely impressed me and is himself one of the worst grapplers in the heavyweight division. I don't think he can keep Barry down for a long duration of the fight. He can certainly finish with ground and pound but if he doesn't I don't see this as a simple three-round lay and pray decision for him, and on the feet Barry is always a very serious threat. I know everyone was just waiting to fade Barry in his next fight, and now it's here, but Kongo isn't exactly awe-inspiring either and if his legs take some early damage it will be hard for him to complete the takedowns.

I agree that Kongo should win but I'm just surprised by the confidence some excellent SBR cappers have on this particular fight. I won't go big on this one myself. Best of luck, I'll probably have a small play on Kongo but nothing extravagant.

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I've got 1K riding on him. Kongo don't fail me now.

Majoravsfan
    Majoravsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    I think the line is moderated by the fact that Kongo is wrongly perceived by a lot of people as a striker, as well as the fact he's been a gatekeeper for the past five years.

Uh, watch the Paul Buentello fight and get back to me. See what happens when Kongo faces a one-dimensional striker who he has a huge size advantage over.
    I'v seen it, Its the only fight Kongo's won in the last 2 years, and Buentello is far past his prime. Pat barry is not as one dimensional as Paul Buentello, he at least mixes it up with kicks.

Ladle

Quote Originally Posted by Majoravsfan View Post
    I'v seen it, Its the only fight Kongo's won in the last 2 years, and Buentello is far past his prime. Pat barry is not as one dimensional as Paul Buentello, he at least mixes it up with kicks.
    He's equally as one-dimensional in the sense that all he's got is his striking, and unless he's undergone massive improvement since January, he's just as deficient in all areas of grappling as Buentello. Those leg kicks aren't going to help him if Kongo starts hustling him up against the cage (something which Joey Beltran was able to do to Barry repeatedly in their fight).

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    I realize Kongo seems to have an easy gameplan to victory in this fight but it surprises me that some excellent cappers are SO confident that he'll win. Kongo has rarely impressed me and is himself one of the worst grapplers in the heavyweight division.
    I think he's an underrated grappler - particularly from top position and against the cage - and he's more than good enough to exploit Barry's essentially non-existent grappling.

I don't think he can keep Barry down for a long duration of the fight. He can certainly finish with ground and pound but if he doesn't I don't see this as a simple three-round lay and pray decision for him.
    I think he can keep him down for prolonged periods. Kongo has a pretty heavy top game and Barry off of his back will probably always be a fish out of water.

and on the feet Barry is always a very serious threat.
    He's a definite threat, but not necessarily a one-shot kill artist. Yes, he has the capacity to end fights quickly, but he usually capitalizes on accumulated damage. I doubt Kongo will give him the opportunity to string together any kind of considerable offense.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Kongo should be able to get the fight to the ground or against the cage with relative ease... in which case he wins

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

I'll be cheering for barry.

koscheckbaby
    Briscoe and Logan Baby!!!
    koscheckbaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

I realize Kongo seems to have an easy gameplan to victory in this fight but it surprises me that some excellent cappers are SO confident that he'll win. Kongo has rarely impressed me and is himself one of the worst grapplers in the heavyweight division. I don't think he can keep Barry down for a long duration of the fight. He can certainly finish with ground and pound but if he doesn't I don't see this as a simple three-round lay and pray decision for him, and on the feet Barry is always a very serious threat. I know everyone was just waiting to fade Barry in his next fight, and now it's here, but Kongo isn't exactly awe-inspiring either and if his legs take some early damage it will be hard for him to complete the takedowns.

I agree that Kongo should win but I'm just surprised by the confidence some excellent SBR cappers have on this particular fight. I won't go big on this one myself. Best of luck, I'll probably have a small play on Kongo but nothing extravagant.
    Barry has looked lost on his back in MMA. I look at this fight somewhat like Valentjin Overeem vs Sefo. One guy may not be that good, but they have a very clear way of winning the fight that the opponent has shown no answer to.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to have all the evidence we have of Kongo refusing to stand and trade with lesser strikers than Barry. He's basically scared to stand, which will help assure he doesn't fight stupid and give Barry a chance.

I would say the confidence in the bet is a good mixture of faith in Kongo committing to the takedown game and fading Barry for how terrible he looked on the ground against Cro Cop and his relative newbie status to ground fighting.

I hate Kongo and think he's borderline retarded with his inability to follow simple rules, but he's good at ground and pounding people unused to being on their back. Barry fits that criteria to the tee.

As a final entry, I think we can all agree that Barry's striking against the brawling Joey Beltran was a major disappointment. Beltran was lighting him up. So, it's not even certain that Barry would win the standup on the much larger and longer Kongo.
    Last edited by koscheckbaby; 06-25-11 at 10:28 AM.

lasker

I'm betting on Kongo too, just not as confident as everyone else it seems. I think a lot depends on how much damage he takes from leg kicks early on. If Barry sets the pace with effective leg kicks in round one, it will be hard for Kongo to consistently drag the fight to the mat as the fight goes on. I would not be surprised if Barry's takedown defense is somewhat improved as well. It's not like his camp isn't smart enough to figure out what Kongo's gameplan will be, and Kongo's wrestling is passable but nothing to write home about.

Having said all this, I do expect Kongo to win but it's not one of the fights I'm most confident about on the card.
    Last edited by lasker; 06-25-11 at 10:15 PM.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10476

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Fade the public by betting on Kongo. I think this is a good bet.
    gun do you know where i can get these public % ? thanks and gl. sir

koscheckbaby

I'm betting on Kongo too, just not as confident as everyone else it seems. I think a lot depends on how much damage he takes from leg kicks early on. If Barry sets the pace with effective leg kicks in round one, it will be hard for Kongo to consistently drag the fight to the mat as the fight goes on. I would not be surprised if Barry's takedown defense is somewhat improved as well. It's not like his camp isn't smart enough to figure out what Kongo's gameplan will be, and Kongo's wrestling is passable but nothing to write home about.

Having said all this, I do expect Kongo to win but it's not one of the fights I'm most confident about on the card.
    I think Kongo's offensive wrestling is one of his better weapons. Granted, it'd be harder for him to power down 260 LB guys, thus his trouble with Travis Browne, but Barry is an easy takedown for him. Kongo was even able to power Cain down to the mat briefly. He's really strong and he has a greco background to power guys down. Barry's TDD can improve, but I think Kongo's style is harder to counter. Kongo won't be shooting double legs from outside for Barry to be able to soften him up and make the shots weaker. He'll be using his strength and bullying Barry in the clinch. From the clinch, he can throw Barry or he can drop for the legs against the cage and get it.

I mean, once they are clinched, who favors Barry? Kongo has the length, wrestling, and strength advantage once they tie up.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

barry by KO/TKO is +405

any value? worth using as hedge?

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    barry by KO/TKO is +405

any value? worth using as hedge?
    I dunno. Personally, I feel like Kongo is very difficult to finish. People will point to the Mir fight, but Kongo recovered really well from that left. It was the air tight guillotine that did him in. And we know Barry doesn't have Mir sub skills.

I would play Barry by decision if I were hedging. It's gonna be hard for Barry to finish a man that took hundreds of Cain Velasquez punches and still made it to the final bell

Hannibal

but if barry wins, is this not the most likely route?

Hannibal

Kongo is also returning from back surgery.. what if he's slower? easier to hit? less powerful in the clinch?

koscheckbaby

Play it if you like it. Personally, I don't see how Barry wins. But if he does, I would think it's via decision. Barry is giving up height and reach here. It's harder to finish a guy when you gotta punch upwards. Plus, Kongo is a kickboxer by trade, so I'm sure his legs are not fragile to legkicks.

Hannibal

You're right... Barry isnt much of a finisher either. I think I'm just sweating my large wager on Kongo

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    You're right... Barry isnt much of a finisher either. I think I'm just sweating my large wager on Kongo
    I'm certain we all are. Even though if I didn't have a cent invested in tonight's fight, I wouldn't doubt for a second that Kongo was winning. Big stakes make you question all the angles.

scofflaw
    scofflaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've made a decent play on Kongo by decision @ +275. He goes from -200 to win, to +275 by decision!? Insanity. Kongo is technically superior and Barry is a tough dude that might not be finished in 3 rounds.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

kongo is a boss, i expect him to gnp his way to win

koscheckbaby

Yeah. I went from thinking Kongo was automatic to finish to thinking Barry might make it to a decision. Afterall, Kongo took nearly 2 and a half rounds to finish Buentello, who is pretty weak when he's on his back.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Kongo finishes fights with GnP, he doesn't knock guys out standing up.

That being said the lines smell of something conspicuous, or that everybody loves Pat's techno-viking and random poses.

lasker

well, not quite according to script but the result is all that matters. good job Kongo backers

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah kongo yeah!

reformed
    reformed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 846

easiest cash ever, kongo win was never in doubt. He is ready for a rematch with cain.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

well it cashed at least

First 12