koscheckbaby
    Briscoe and Logan Baby!!!
    koscheckbaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

Anyone Fearing The Kongo Line Is Too Good To Be True?

There's just no way Kongo should be in the -100s for this matchup. Barry's recent performances were a back and forth striking battle with Antoni Piece of Shit Hardonk, who Kongo ****** up, a submission loss to Cro Cop, who Kongo beat, and a close decision win over Joey Beltran, which was aided by an eyepoke. There's no evidence of Pat Barry having the skill to hang with Kongo, who has proven over and over again that he will not stand with strikers. Kongo should be like -350 for this fight without exaggeration. Why is the line fairly settled in the -170 to -200 area? The odds should have ballooned. The ole adage that when things seem too good to be true they probably aren't is screaming at me.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by koscheckbaby View Post
    There's just no way Kongo should be in the -100s for this matchup. Barry's recent performances were a back and forth striking battle with Antoni Piece of Shit Hardonk, who Kongo ****** up, a submission loss to Cro Cop, who Kongo beat, and a close decision win over Joey Beltran, which was aided by an eyepoke. There's no evidence of Pat Barry having the skill to hang with Kongo, who has proven over and over again that he will not stand with strikers. Kongo should be like -350 for this fight without exaggeration. Why is the line fairly settled in the -170 to -200 area? The odds should have ballooned. The ole adage that when things seem too good to be true they probably aren't is screaming at me.
    People love Barry, he is a funny guy. People hate Kongo, he is a dirty boring fighter. Kongo isn't very good, but has lost in high profile fights that people remember. Barry loses all of those fights as well.

Line looks like a gift to me. I've maxed it at -115, -155, and -165.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Yeah I think its the Barry love that's keeping Kongo's line at a nice price. I was truly expecting Kongo to open at -200 and then get worse from there. I'm not worried in the least unless Barry shows up with a grenade launcher. I may also make a small play on a draw since Kongo could lose a point for a usual nutshot and the judges could give Barry a round.
    Last edited by sirchadwick1; 06-21-11 at 05:11 PM.

koscheckbaby

I think I'm just being paranoid. But honestly, Kongo even in the -300s is a good bet for this fight. Kongo regularly refuses to stand and trade, which is Barry's only chance.

Majoravsfan
    Majoravsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Kongo may not want to stand but I think he is going to be forced too.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by Majoravsfan View Post
    Kongo may not want to stand but I think he is going to be forced too.
    By whom?

Anyway, I take Kongo over Barry in a straight kickboxing match. He has a 5 inch height advantage and a 7 inch reach advantage. Hits harder, has a killer instict, better wrestler, stronger. Also, explosive and impervious to cuts.

Barry's most likely path to victory is by DQ.

Majoravsfan
    Majoravsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    By whom?

Anyway, I take Kongo over Barry in a straight kickboxing match. He has a 5 inch height advantage and a 7 inch reach advantage. Hits harder, has a killer instict, better wrestler, stronger. Also, explosive and impervious to cuts.

Barry's most likely path to victory is by DQ.
    I agree Kongo has a better punch and more of a killer instinct. But I do not think he is stronger or hits harder than barry. Pat Barry will kick his little chicken legs right off. I cant see Kongo dominating this fight, sure he could win, but he is not running away with it.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

BJ Penn could probably out wrestle/grapple pat barry

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6208

don't over think this boys. Kongo is money here.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1950

Fade the public by betting on Kongo. I think this is a good bet.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the line is moderated by the fact that Kongo is wrongly perceived by a lot of people as a striker, as well as the fact he's been a gatekeeper for the past five years.

I cant see Kongo dominating this fight, sure he could win, but he is not running away with it.
    Uh, watch the Paul Buentello fight and get back to me. See what happens when Kongo faces a one-dimensional striker who he has a huge size advantage over.

reformed
    reformed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 846

let me tell you what I am fearing, too many guys thinking like you didnt take kongo at -155 and now will take him at -200 because you realize he is going to dominate.

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

I agree Kongo has a better punch and more of a killer instinct. But I do not think he is stronger or hits harder than barry. Pat Barry will kick his little chicken legs right off. I cant see Kongo dominating this fight, sure he could win, but he is not running away with it.
    If Kongo is actively seeking takedowns he will be looking to catch kicks, which will take away a major offensive weapon rendering him a quick and undersized boxer.

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by reformed View Post
    let me tell you what I am fearing, too many guys thinking like you didnt take kongo at -155 and now will take him at -200 because you realize he is going to dominate.
    Vaughany, as well as I, have loved Kongo in this matchup since the day it was announced. It just seems freaking weird that this line is so lucrative. Everybody that watches the fights and bets should expect Kongo to go into wrestle and clinch mode. Why the hell is Kongo only -200?

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

I think perception factors into this line a lot. Barry is a likeable guy who can finish dynamically vs. a ding-dong brained fighter who cheats even if he is winning.
    I think Ladle said it in the other thread, "what do you think the Morecraft line would be if they stopped his last fight in the first round?" It a perception thing. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am stoned.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by koscheckbaby View Post
    Vaughany, as well as I, have loved Kongo in this matchup since the day it was announced. It just seems freaking weird that this line is so lucrative. Everybody that watches the fights and bets should expect Kongo to go into wrestle and clinch mode. Why the hell is Kongo only -200?
    Read the comments here for the reasoning why:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/22...kongo#comments

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Read the comments here for the reasoning why:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/22...kongo#comments

sounds like some serious barry fan-love still exists out there(including the guy writing the article)........i`m hoping the line goes back down a little more by fight time.....

and i agree with the one commenter....this is more a play against barry than a play on kongo...barry just sucks a little more...i think that kongo will be aware of the kicks and his length will help him tremendously....

i like to think that this line is one eye poke away from being 3 or 3.5 -1....but this is no slam-dunk...anybody that lost to marrero/herring and yvel can lose to barry....

tread softly....
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 06-22-11 at 06:21 PM.

NickDiaz209
    NickDiaz209's Avatar Become A Pro!

considering the fact that koscheckbaby is the worst bettor at both tennis and mma, I am much less confident on kongo now

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Kongo should win this fight in boring fashion

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by NickDiaz209 View Post
    considering the fact that koscheckbaby is the worst bettor at both tennis and mma, I am much less confident on kongo now
    What a piece of shit, lying scumbag you are. I uploaded my past 4 weeks for you with screenshots. Turned 100 bucks to 1600.

Last edited by koscheckbaby; 06-22-11 at 10:53 PM.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

I really like Barry, so I am disappointed to place a bet on Kongo.

Good thing I like money more than Barry.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1950

Is it fair to say that Kongo has punch strike advantage because of his reach advantage and has a takedown advantage since it's rare to see Barry takedown anyone?
    While Barry has the kick strike advantage?

koscheckbaby

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

barry has a small chance of winning this.barry can do damage on the feet.

Camdemonium
    Camdemonium's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have to respect the man with screen shots. That trumps all "claims".

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Is it fair to say that Kongo has punch strike advantage because of his reach advantage and has a takedown advantage since it's rare to see Barry takedown anyone?
    While Barry has the kick strike advantage?
    I'm thinking Barry will even be hesitant to throw those kicks fearing he will be taken down.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Quote Originally Posted by NickDiaz209 View Post
    O\/\/n@g3

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

It's still 2-1 that we're looking at here... and yeah, I'm in the group looking to fade Barry as well... dude is too inconsistent --> cost me quite a bit in that CroCop fight ( had him spread out over several plays ) and had me sweating against Beltran.

That being said... it's still a 2-1 price to play the game at this point...

Now, had I been able to slam the -115 opener, I'd be

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    It's still 2-1 that we're looking at here... and yeah, I'm in the group looking to fade Barry as well... dude is too inconsistent --> cost me quite a bit in that CroCop fight ( had him spread out over several plays ) and had me sweating against Beltran.

That being said... it's still a 2-1 price to play the game at this point...

Now, had I been able to slam the -115 opener, I'd be

I think it's value to -300 or more. I snagged the -115 and am still pounding it, diluting my effective line.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Oh, I do agree there's still some value with Kongo...

I'm just hoping Pat Barry doesn't turn into the San Diego Chargers of my mma betting -- If I back the Bolts, they lose; and when I fade them, they win... every time... to the point, I just don't bet Chargers games anymore.

koscheckbaby

I'm just hoping Pat Barry doesn't turn into the San Diego Chargers of my mma betting -- If I back the Bolts, they lose; and when I fade them, they win... every time... to the point, I just don't bet Chargers games anymore.
    ******* me too with the Chargers!!! They **** me so much

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Thats how I feel about Mike Brown. Nobody has cost me more money, on both sides.

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

I wont bet on this one. I like Pat Barry as a person, but, he is likely to get taken down and wrestle ****** or over expose himself while trying to get up and getting caught in a submission.

The devils advocate of this match up is that a fighter knows when his opponent has a serious edge over him and they game plan around it. Obviously, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. See Dennis Siver vs George Sotiropoulos. Pat Barry has had a gradually improving takedown defense. He saved him in the fight against Beltrain. He was cross training with Brock Lesnar for a bit. You never know. Kongo was rocked by Mir and it set up that Submission.

I fully expect Barry to come out with leg kicks in an effort to weaken kongos takedown attempts. Should be fun to watch, the first few minutes anyway. If Barry tires and gets takendown with ease, it will be a long night for him.

B.T.W, Barry was demoralizing Cro cop before he broke his hand and foot in the 1st round ... cant really count that fight against him.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i`m absolutely convinced that barry was dead...physically and mentally in the 3rd round vs beltran if not for the eyepoke....he looked for all the world on the way out ....he was gassed and vulnerable......he was taking a beating early in the 3rd but unfortunately for beltran,all he could do after the poke was lean up against the fence and take punishment.....

this is one of the most confusing turn of events i can remember in an mma bout.....why beltran just didn`t say he couldn`t continue was befuddling.....

normally,i`d say if kongo can negate the leg kicks,i see no reason why he doesn`t overwhem barry...but then again he lost to marrero,herring and some other non-notables,so kongo isn`t exactly what i was hoping for coming on the heels of barry`s win over beltran.........i had barry`s next fight circled as a go-against....i was hoping for someone a little younger and hungrier....but kongo is what we have....

so,we ride with kongo...unfortunately,at a canter instead of the full gallop i was hoping for with a more suitable opponent......

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

still shocked so many people are all over this bout. I think kongo will win, and if you got him at near evens then great. But anything more pricey I would be hesitant. I def think barry has the potential to win this fight, and I am not sold on kongo in any realm of the fight game. Nor do I think he is a mentally sound fighter who will stick to a gameplan. Barry is nothing special, but I think he has a lot of heart and motivation. Kongo win most likely, but won't be the least bit surprised if barry clobbers him quickly. GL to everyone, seems like a lot of people are banking on kongo, I hope you guys are right and make some nice cash!

12 Last