dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38397

Which batter do closers like to see at the plate with bases loaded and 1 out?

Derek Jeter without a question

I am from NY. I watch baseball but i never under stood why everyone keeps saying Jeter is clutch. Only thing clutch about him is hitting into double plays and striking out and looking at the umpire with a ARE YOU SERIOUS LOOK when its clearly a strike. I also hate it when he's at the plate and then gives the umpire the finger thing where he tells the ump to hold up because he is not ready. Everytime a pitch comes close to him, he jumps like the ball is going to hit him.

I always thought hey if the yankees are down 1 run or 2 in the bottom of the 9th, who would want for the yankees to have at bat. I recalled i looked at their whole lineup few years ago and said Jeter was pretty much the 2nd to last player i want to be at the plate behind some 9th place hitter who is substituting for a regular player. Guys like Cano, Swisher, Giambi, Arod, Posada, Matsui all could hit. Only thing Jeter can do is hit singles and those singles usually bounce in the infield first and not the traditionally singles. Jeter also has no power at all. Have you guys seen him hit 1 home run where he did not need to run and knew it was a home run?

I like the Yankees but i just don't like Jeter. He gets paid so much yet is nothing but a singles hitter. I always wondered, how the heck does Jeter have this many hits in his career when all i see him do is ground into DP more than any other player in baseball. I watched tons of yankee games and noticed that most of jeters hits came when they yankees are usually up a fair amount of runs. Like being up 8-2 in the 6th inning and 8th inning and he hits 2 singles. I never seen him have any clutch hits even back in the late 90s. He hit a HR against the Orioles when some kid named Mayor took his glove from an Orioles Player.

Have you seen how Jeter always make a routine ground ball look so good? Most normal SS would just pick up the ball and throw it. Jeter would get the ball then jump up in the air like Jordan just to make the play spectacular. I even found out Jeter's defensive is one of the worst for the shortstop position. If this guy wasn't in the Yankees, there is absolutely no way he would be this popular. Have you seen his stats every year? I think on average he hits 13 hr a year with 65 RBIs. I think he never had 1 grand slam until 2 years ago with the bases loaded. I recalled the YES network said Jeter has not hit a GS in like a huge amount of games.

I love watching the Yankees on TV and i get a big laugh when its the 9th inning with the Yankees down and Jeter comes to the plate. I usually think this pitcher must be so happy Jeter is batting because he will either
    1. STRIKE OUT and give a WTF LOOK
    2. Grounder to the shortstop for easy out
    3. Grounder to DP.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Pauulzcappin

dynamite140

I'm looking at the Yankees lineup right now. He is probably the 2nd to last hitter i want at the plate for the yankees.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Looking at the lineup for most games -> Jeter, Swisher, Teixeira, A-Rod, Cano, Posada, Berkman, Granderson and Gardner

dynamite140

All of them can hit home runs besides Jeter and Gardner. Every player in that lineup is a THREAT besides Jeter and Gardner However, i rather have Gardner in the plate than Jeter. I know Gardner don't hit into DP that much

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Gardner doesn't play on wheel chairs. Neither strikes out as much.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I've been calling him Captain Double Play for years.

The guy is so money. 1 out, runner on first, you can count on a Jeter grounder to short for a tailormade double play.

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

pretty much the whole mets roster- especially wright

netinfo
    netinfo's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think he never had 1 grand slam until 2 years ago with the bases loaded. I recalled the YES network said Jeter has not hit a GS in like a huge amount of games.
    Yes, he only has 1 GS in his career. It came against the Cubs in 2005.

netinfo

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Jeter might be a little over paid and over hyped, but you people are bashing 1st ballot HOF'er when it all said and done and last I checked there wasn't many of those around.

dynamite140

I recalled they kept doing that stat on Jeter and how he never had a GS ever. I thought it was so funny because pitchers know they won't give a GS up.

netinfo
    netinfo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jeter might be a little over paid and over hyped, but you people are bashing 1st ballot HOF'er when it all said and done and last I checked there wasn't many of those around.
    Jeter needs only 115 more hits to reach 3,000 for his career. Only 27 other players in history have done this. He is definitely one of the best hitters of all-time.

netinfo

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

Well he's not a young buck anymore.

richyrich8478
    richyrich8478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

i would like to see best hitter on lineup... most closers especially the good ones have this confidence and are a little bit crazy so they want the best hitter up there on last out to say thats right whos your daddy.....adds to their confidence for next time out and through the year

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

I agree.....Jeter is a stud from thw 1st to 6th innings, but disasterous from the 7th on in close games. I wish someone could find a stat showing how "un"clutch this guys been this year and over the course of his career. It truly is amazing.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

If I was closing a game in that situation, I'd much rather face Brad Ausmus than Derek Jeter.

dynamite140

Derek Jeter of cousre has shown nothing in the postseason. Can't even hit a ball past 2nd base.