JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck with this, think the key to winning in bases is learning how to price derivatives, which I do not know how to do
    I seldom bet full games anymore, the bullpens will kill you , especially middle relief

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

Quote Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
    good luck with this, think the key to winning in bases is learning how to price derivatives, which I do not know how to do
    I seldom bet full games anymore, the bullpens will kill you , especially middle relief
    Thanks man, yea... crazy calculations like that would be fun to know... real high level pricing and statistical analysis. Gathering data and extracting data is what I do. My problem is just like you mentioned, I don't know how to use for anything that would create an advantage. Research, especially with baseball is time consuming and at any point you can't keep up, you are pretty much lost. So hopefully we can create tons of little brains in this system that does all the research for us and just relays the results.

JR007

wish I could help but I come from the ice age, long before computers were used in sportsbetting, here is another website that you might find helpful, www.baseballpress.com/bullpenusage

inZane
    inZane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4906

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
    Thanks man, yea... crazy calculations like that would be fun to know... real high level pricing and statistical analysis. Gathering data and extracting data is what I do. My problem is just like you mentioned, I don't know how to use for anything that would create an advantage. Research, especially with baseball is time consuming and at any point you can't keep up, you are pretty much lost. So hopefully we can create tons of little brains in this system that does all the research for us and just relays the results.
    Great job, my man. Appreciate the time and energy...

akphidelt

wish I could help but I come from the ice age, long before computers were used in sportsbetting, here is another website that you might find helpful, www.baseballpress.com/bullpenusage
    See that is information I've never even thought of but is awesome information. I also saw in another thread someone post active official lineups to games. Pull all this information together will be awesome!

Thanks!
    Points Awarded:

JR007 gave akphidelt 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

akphidelt

Quote Originally Posted by inZane View Post
    Great job, my man. Appreciate the time and energy...
    Thank you very much! Means a lot.

JR007

I cannot find anything on team totals, been looking for awhile

akphidelt

Ok, any experts out there, I really want to figure this out. When trying to report on lines and totals, what is an appropriate way? Like if I wanted to say if you bet $100 on the Yankees ML the past 7 games you would have won "x" amount. But the lines change throughout the day, so what are theories behind what spread, total, or line to use when trying to represent a period of time?

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Ok, any experts out there, I really want to figure this out. When trying to report on lines and totals, what is an appropriate way? Like if I wanted to say if you bet $100 on the Yankees ML the past 7 games you would have won "x" amount. But the lines change throughout the day, so what are theories behind what spread, total, or line to use when trying to represent a period of time?
    Maybe closing line? Or possibly show opening line, closing line, and maybe "best line". Best line meaning if you happened to catch the best line that was available for the event during between the opening and closing lines.

If you are looking for starting line ups Ive found this site to be useful:

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/daily_lineups.htm

They generally have lineups available 4-6 hours before game time. They also populate as they become available so some come up super fast some super late, just depends. Also if you noticed under game time for each of the game times, it shows weather. If your into using weather for any of your bets, do not use this info from this site. Im not sure for winds, but Ive found for rain they are fairly inaccurate. Ive seen it where theyll say something like 87% chance to rain yet real weather sites have it far lower, and guess what! It never rained that game lol..

BTW if you are looking for weather this site is great: http://dailybaseballdata.com/cgi-bin/weather.pl

EDIT: Wow Ive never actually browsed that weather site, Ive had it for years and never checked anything else out that they offer...They have bullpen usage info here http://dailybaseballdata.com/cgi-bin/bullpen.pl

If you click open all game details it shows even more detailed bullpen info like when they came into the game and how many outs they got etc.
    They also have batter vs pitcher stats here: http://dailybaseballdata.com/cgi-bin/dailyhit.pl
    not sure if that is what you were looking for earlier.
    Last edited by OMGRandyJackson; 06-24-14 at 11:34 PM.

akphidelt

Awesome stuff man. I also got a sweet source for pitcher/batter information by pitch. Going to be a beast amount of data though. But it's going to be awesome. Mapping that with all this information. Gonna be fun

JR007

www.baseballreference.com, they have a graph you can scroll over to see how many runs a team scored for the month
    under teams/ boxscores
    Last edited by JR007; 06-25-14 at 11:36 AM.

OMGRandyJackson

I cannot wait for all this data to be collected and organized so we can truly start figuring out an optimal way of using it haha. I am going to imagine this is going to take some time, but this is going to be crazy fun and interesting.

Just curious if you have any ETA on when you'll be adding some of the more advanced stats to the pitching and batting tables?
    Last edited by OMGRandyJackson; 06-25-14 at 12:25 PM.

JR007

yeah, has to be broken down from the general to the specific....I wish the dude luck with this

OMGRandyJackson

yeah, has to be broken down from the general to the specific....I wish the dude luck with this
    Not necessarily. Once all the info is gathered and organized, it can be very easy to sort through depending on what you need. The big thing this can really help with is efficiency because a lot of this info is easy to find, but its not all together. Its on multiple websites, multiple pages on said websites.

With this website, its all there and can easily be browsed to find what ever you need.

I think one of the biggest mistakes people can make when betting baseball is over complicating it. They want to try and get their hands on every piece of info they can and then try and come up with some sort of magical formula to narrow it down to wether team A or team B wins.

Either way, this is very exciting stuff! lol.

OMGRandyJackson

Hmm looks like some of the batting stats are off again? For instance Ian Desmond on Washington. Since June 21 it is showing him as having 30 AB with 10 hits, but hes actually only got 18 AB with 4 hits.

posey
    posey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1250

What you could add perhaps:
    - something like inherited runners scoring allowed by the bullpen (it's available at baseball reference)
    - gamescore for starters (at espn.com; something like that last 4 starts or so?)

akphidelt

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    I cannot wait for all this data to be collected and organized so we can truly start figuring out an optimal way of using it haha. I am going to imagine this is going to take some time, but this is going to be crazy fun and interesting.

Just curious if you have any ETA on when you'll be adding some of the more advanced stats to the pitching and batting tables?
    Hey can, you list off the batting stats/pitching stats that you added? There's so many I can't pick and choose. I might have to add a drop down where you can choose different tables. Thanks

akphidelt

Hmm looks like some of the batting stats are off again? For instance Ian Desmond on Washington. Since June 21 it is showing him as having 30 AB with 10 hits, but hes actually only got 18 AB with 4 hits.
    I fixed it. There is a frikkin bot, probably Google bot or something that goes to the page where I swoop up the data and it's double adding it. I set the game id to unique so it wouldn't be able to add games twice. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by akphidelt; 06-25-14 at 04:06 PM.

inZane

Question: Is it possible to scan past data to find out a team's totals record to see how they do in the situation that we saw played out earlier today? Specifically, the Nats and Pirates both played last night, the Nats even played 16 innings. Both had early get-away games this morning. In this instance it ended up one over, one under. But I seem to recall that it was always a good bet to take the under, due to fatigue and the desire to catch the plane out of town. Gambler's myth or is anything there?

JR007

Question: Is it possible to scan past data to find out a team's totals record to see how they do in the situation that we saw played out earlier today? Specifically, the Nats and Pirates both played last night, the Nats even played 16 innings. Both had early get-away games this morning. In this instance it ended up one over, one under. But I seem to recall that it was always a good bet to take the under, due to fatigue and the desire to catch the plane out of town. Gambler's myth or is anything there?
    I think there is because of the speed in which some of these games are called , around 3 hours, and certain players get rest for the nextseries
    Last edited by JR007; 06-25-14 at 04:31 PM.

OMGRandyJackson

Hey can, you list off the batting stats/pitching stats that you added? There's so many I can't pick and choose. I might have to add a drop down where you can choose different tables. Thanks
    Sure.

For batting:

.OBP, SLG, .OPS, .AVG vs lefties, .AVG vs righties, RiSP

For pitching:

walks/9, strikeouts/9, innings pitched per game (IP/GS), whip.

Also would it be possible to seperate the pitching table into two? One containing starters, and one containing info for bullpen?

I fixed it. There is a frikkin bot, probably Google bot or something that goes to the page where I swoop up the data and it's double adding it. I set the game id to unique so it wouldn't be able to add games twice. Sorry about that.
    No problem at all. There is tons of data here so kinks along the way are expected.

Not entirely sure if its gamblers myth. I have heard before that after a super late game, and then having to travel for a game the next day can cause batting fatigue. However neither of these happened in the situations you posted last night. The Nats or Pirates did not travel after last nights games..

Perhaps you mean Cleveland and Arizona?

inZane

I'm talking about the nats and rats playing last night, then having to get up early for a morning game, then having to catch a plane to the next town. In this morning's case, both the Rays/ Rats were leaving town to play tomorrow...That's what I referred to as a get-away game.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

are you still on RX and are you still a rabid right wing republican????

OMGRandyJackson

I'm talking about the nats and rats playing last night, then having to get up early for a morning game, then having to catch a plane to the next town. In this morning's case, both the Rays/ Rats were leaving town to play tomorrow...That's what I referred to as a get-away game.

Usually it refers to a late game, flight, then game next day, not a late game, early game, flight, game next day.

akphidelt

Mon, Tue, Wed... are my busiest days, so won't have much progress. Thur-Sun though I can get to slanging this stuff. We have a lot of data to work with, going to be fun. Thanks for the contributions.

JR007

thanks dude, summer time though, you should be out "gettin some poontang"

akphidelt

thanks dude, summer time though, you should be out "gettin some poontang"
    True dat. Luckily on Thursday/Friday I'm still getting paid to do this. Just got out of a 3 and a half year relationship. That evil human being sucked the fun out of me, lol.

inZane

Usually it refers to a late game, flight, then game next day, not a late game, early game, flight, game next day.
    I respectfully disagree OMG, most teams have a game, flight, then game the next day. It refers to an afternoon game after a night game before the team leaves town.., go to page two

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5165215...ms-travel.html

JR007

True dat. Luckily on Thursday/Friday I'm still getting paid to do this. Just got out of a 3 and a half year relationship. That evil human being sucked the fun out of me, lol.
    turn them upside down, they are all the same

JR007

'My preference is in betting the first five innings and totals. There is a reason why the sports books limit how much you can bet on these two propositions, they are beatable. Moving forward, “bet with your head, not over it.” These are the words of my friend, mentor and sports betting legend Lem Banker'......an article Scott Pritchard "gaming today"

inZane

'My preference is in betting the first five innings and totals. There is a reason why the sports books limit how much you can bet on these two propositions, they are beatable. Moving forward, “bet with your head, not over it.” These are the words of my friend, mentor and sports betting legend Lem Banker'......an article Scott Pritchard "gaming today"
    Great advice, Bro! I can't begin to count how many games I've lost in the last few innings, after doing all the research and watching your pick go bye-bye because of some no count HR or useless RBI...

FIREBALL49
    FIREBALL49's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cool and interesting tool!

akphidelt

Sure.

For batting:

.OBP, SLG, .OPS, .AVG vs lefties, .AVG vs righties, RiSP
    Alright

OBP = (Hits + Walks + Hit by Pitch) / (At Bats + Walks + Hit by Pitch + Sacrifice Flies)

SLG = Don't have the relevant information to calculate yet. Need to know the singles, doubles, triples, homers.

OPS = Can't calculate with out SLG

Avg v L/R = Can't calculate until we get the pitcher/batter combos in a table (working on it)

RISP = Can't calculate until we get each at bats results

So I put the OBP in, but the others will need quite a bit more data before I can calculate them legitimately. I'm hoping tomorrow I will have the time to get the pitch by pitch information in than we can pretty much calculate anything we want. I'll work on the pitchers in a little bit.

OMGRandyJackson

I respectfully disagree OMG, most teams have a game, flight, then game the next day. It refers to an afternoon game after a night game before the team leaves town.., go to page two

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5165215...ms-travel.html

True enough, Im not really sure what i was smoking there lol. Id be interested in seeing if this is a myth or hype, probably very hard to find though unless you can find someone who specifically tracked this and is willing to share lol.

Alright

OBP = (Hits + Walks + Hit by Pitch) / (At Bats + Walks + Hit by Pitch + Sacrifice Flies)

SLG = Don't have the relevant information to calculate yet. Need to know the singles, doubles, triples, homers.

OPS = Can't calculate with out SLG

Avg v L/R = Can't calculate until we get the pitcher/batter combos in a table (working on it)

RISP = Can't calculate until we get each at bats results

So I put the OBP in, but the others will need quite a bit more data before I can calculate them legitimately. I'm hoping tomorrow I will have the time to get the pitch by pitch information in than we can pretty much calculate anything we want. I'll work on the pitchers in a little bit.
    Awesome man, take your time no rush. Everything you've done thus far has been a great help!

OMGRandyJackson

Luckily on Thursday/Friday I'm still getting paid to do this.
    If I may ask, what do you mean by still getting paid to do this? lol

EDIT: Also just noticed on the batting and pitching tables for Chicago White Sox it currently displays no info for them. Ive checked all other teams and they are good.
    Last edited by OMGRandyJackson; 06-26-14 at 12:18 AM.

First 123 Last