dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38373

Anyone here think Jake Peavy is the most overrated pitcher in baseball?

Note i did not bet on this game. Actually i haven't bet baseball at all this year but did horrible last year but stopped. I just WATCH now

This guy is good but I do know why so many people say they take Peavy over many other pitchers. I say he is average mainly because most of the good starts he has is at FRIENDLY petco park. I mean who doesn't pitch good when they pitch there. Since half of his games are pitched at Petco, no wonder why his numbers look so good. I always hear people say he is good but his team dont support him with runs. True Padres are worst offensive team in baseball but don't people know they are playing at Petco? Even the opposing pitcher who might be an average pitcher can give up 1 run in 7 innings at San Diego.

I recalled he won the cy young 2 years ago and in that 1 game elimiation game at Colorado, he laid an egg just like he does when he pitches away from petco park. If it isn't that, he's pitchign against a good team. Last year he pitched at Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium and some other team i forgot that was either in the A.L or was a good N.L and got destroyed. Funny thing about this guy is people say he might be traded to Atlanta and what not. He mentioned he would not go to the A.L. Geez, i wonder why? Is it because his e.r.a will go to a 4.50? His numbers look good but everyones numbers will look good when half their games are at Petco. I mean when was the last time we saw an over under more than a 9 at petco park? When 2 horrible pitchers go at it thats what.

If this guy was put in the A.L , oh man we won't even here much about him anymore. I don't know why so many people think he is so good. He is horrible at big games and even more horrible when playing decent teams. Only teams he can win against are the Giants, Pirates, Dodgers and Nationals. When he plays teams like the Dbacks, Rockies, Cubs he is exposed. I don't even want to talk about what happens when interleague happens when he plays against the Yankees and the Red Sox Guys like Halladay, Lincecum, C.C, Santana are the read deal. Peavy i feel like is very overratted.

And he is getting beaten up by Giants the worst hitting team no less. I know his next outing he will probably winning or losing 3-2 to the same Giants team If the NL west team beats him, oh boy what would the other teams that keep beating him do to him

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

dont' know about the most.... maybe

but yeah he is no where near the pitcher away from petco as he is at petco... he is a flyball pitcher..... Petco has made him who he is....

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

in 2008 Peavy was 1.75 era and had a .205 Batting avg against in petco in 14 games
    4.28 on the road .258 b.a against in 13 games

that is a MONUMENTALY HUGE differential....

dynamite140

Look at Chris Young numbers at petco and see how good he is there. Just look at every pitcher who has pitched at Petco and compare their petco numbers to their other games. Even if they just pitched at Petco twice, i am pretty sure they pitch better there no matter what.

Could you imagine Roy Halladay or C.C pitching at petco or even Johan? We might even see a few shutouts by each pitcher. Peavy on the other hand cant do that b/c he always pitches through 6 innings and he is done. This guy is afraid of going to the A.L b/c he would be horrible. Look at C.C in the NL and now back to the AL. Could you imagine CC in the NL West? You have your cy young of the year easy

dynamite140

Yes Chiarchie. good thing some ppl here agree. This guy is just nothing but average AT BEST when he pitches against a good team or pitches away from Petco Park.

dynamite140

And tonight he is losing 5-2 to the Pirates BACKUPS LOL. I was so sure he would win this game like 3-1 or something b/c he was playing a AAA lineup and is at Petco. He loses this one too. Who else can he beat now? Only teams he can beat are Pirates, Giants and the Dodgers.

Vince Carter
    Vince Carter's Avatar Become A Pro!

butt hurt that you lost padres -180?

sorry

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Carter View Post
    butt hurt that you lost padres -180?

sorry

??????????????

dynamite140

Did you even read my first post? didn't know people here were that slow. If you read the first line, you know that i dont bet baseball anymore just watch.

He is the most overrated pitcher i have ever seen. He can't beat good teams and can't beat teams outside the NL WEST. And he loses to the pirates of all teams with the triple A lineup.

Chi archie- that kid is just bitter b/c he probably lost 45 dollars today

Vince Carter
    Vince Carter's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol mad

dynamite140

dynamite140

kids like u have nth to contribute. just go away. YOu have school tomororow at 8am anyways.
    Last edited by dynamite140; 04-26-09 at 07:58 PM.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Pittsburgh is the #1 power team according to ESPN right now

laxdjock
    Anyone but the SEC.
    laxdjock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I think pretty much anyone getting -200 is over-rated (minus going against a rookie in his debut or Zito ).

dynamite140

Well well well. Peavy comes to the AL and pitches for the White Sox and we see how big of a fraud he is. I knew he would be exposed. First 2 games loses and gives up a ton of runs. You see, once he's out of Petco Park, he is an average pitcher at best. And pitching to AL teams of course he won't do good.

I really don't know why so much people think he is so go good. I mean Chris Young for the Padres was very good as well thanks to the friendly confines of Petco Park. I mean most of his games he pitches at home against the Giants. His ERA is just so low the last few years because of him pitching to weak hitting teams.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

He does well for me on MLB 10 The Show

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Too early to tell.

dynamite140

After 10 games, Peavy would go 5-5 at best. Be funny if he goes 2-7 with a 5 ERA and then people see who Peavy really is without PETCO.

dynamite140

anyone else agree at all?

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    anyone else agree at all?
    i do, there is a reason San Diego gave him away for a bag of balls, besides the fact he makes 13 mil a year...

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Welcome to the Big Leagues kid. Rookies tend to struggle when they first hit the Majors (aka the AMERICAN LEAGUE).

Halladay is gonna pitch like 15 CGs down there.

Chugs
    Chugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 594

Yeah, if i was around last year i would have agreed too. I have been preaching this since last season. Im in a keeper Fantasy league with some buddies and one of them kept Peavy this year, insisting hes a "stud" and is gunna be in the cy young picture this year. I laughed and have been ripping on him ... cant wait for him to show what garbage he really is.

Enogsiwon
    Dead
    Enogsiwon's Avatar Become A Pro!

You guys really don't have a clue as to what's going on I see... Peavy used to take the best steroids money can buy, now he must take only stuff that is 100% safe..,

When he was on the "good" stuff he was the best in baseball, much like Kevin Brown and Eric Gagne when they were full blown juice heads..,

You want to make money on baseball, find out who's on the good stuff before the books..

Peavy is not over rated, you guys just expect him to pitch like the roided out peavy.. If you'd notice I took the Over in the Whitesox game today for this very reason( along with the fact that Chicago can hit average lefties like Tallet)

dynamite140

Peavy is overrated. Does anyone think he has a chance to be in the all star game? At best this year he finish something like 13-12.

dynamite140

Anyone else thoughts on this?

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

Yeah, I agree Peavy is overrated, but you seem to really want to discredit him. What did he do, steal your girlfriend or something?

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I guess it depends on what you mean by overrated. I guess any clueless schmoe would look and think he's good, but any one who thinks anything about stats would know his true value.

Most "baseball people" realize that PetCo is a pitchers heaven, and can easliy see his career splits (3.86 ERA away) show that overall he's on okay pitcher, and and ERA of around 4.10 is expected from him in the AL.

But really these are all obvious things, and if you are putting money on baseball games and don't know this kinda stuff, just open your wallet and hand the money in it to the next person you see.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8492

Oswalt gets my vote

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I'm hoping that he has another 1-3 bad to mediocre games..... than It will be time to tail him..... he will go from super over-rated to a bit under-rated very quickly....

the parks are different, AL hitters> NL hitters.... but he should still be an above avg pitcher long term.... I think he'll come around
    Last edited by Chi_archie; 04-13-10 at 02:40 PM. Reason: tail not fade

HUSALAH
    HUSALAH's Avatar Become A Pro!

I tookthe ml last night and saw peavy perform well many times at petco. I think he is overrated for sure but he is not to be written off either. Peavy can pitch well and shut certain teams down once he gets goin,, its when he gets rocked early that he gives up and acts like a game only lasts 5 innings, I hate to see starting pitchers act this way and he does for sure. Thats something I always admired in people like Sabathia, they pitch for their team and end up performing well in the process, baseballs a team sport and so many dont act like it anymore. I remember when I was a kid and could name like every teams startin line up, now kids only know the stars like A-Rod and those in the news, no more players like Ripken Jr. with heart and love for the sport. Players bounce around from team to team and the players dont have the chaance to develope that repor that so many did before them.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

peavy got lit up during the international baseball i think

dude ain't got it anymore

average

dynamite140

Well look at tonight. Playing at home against the Rays and gives up 7 runs and 7 hits in 4.1 innings of work. He also walked 7 players!!! His ERA is like an 8 now lol. This guy is exposed. He pitched 3 games against AL team and has gotten embarrassed in each game.

This guy is overrated and NOTHING without Petco Park.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Why do you keep bumping this??

reverend
    reverend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

hahaha

1234 Last