HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

Adrian Gonzalez needs to get out of Petco.

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 39777

Wow check out this article. This guy wrote this article back in 2008 but it is everything i stated as well

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...er.html?cat=14

I find it funny how he says Peavy sucks against good teams which is VERY TRUE.

keith22
    keith22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

One more pitcher to fade every start.

dynamite140

Peavy is overrated. I bet he even knows it. He was so afraid of leaving the NL.

dynamite140

Okay look at this fraud. He had the win for the white sox even though he gave up 10 hits and 5 runs in 5 innings of play. He is 4-4 with a 6.25 ERA. This guy should be 2-8 this year except his team came back and turned his loss into a no decision.

What kind of pitcher is 4-4 and has a 6.25 ERA?

Peavy is the ultimate fraud pitcher in baseball. 4-4 when he should be 2-8.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

why did he ever want to be traded to chicago?

this is sweet justice for the pads, to be in first without him and him a piece of shit on a below average team.

scratbandit
    scratbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 630

very inteesting idea for sure..

dynamite140

This fraud is now 4-5 with a 5.90 ERA. His record should be 2-8 if his team didn't come back and save him.

dynamite140

Anyone think he is one of the worst Starting pitchers in the AL now?

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Peavy has always run hot and cold. He was dominant one year, striking out a ton, then average the next. Then he went back to being dominant. Now he's terrible, but you gotta believe he'll be able to work out the kinks at some point and go back to being a good pitcher.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Maybe, him being -160 today was a joke.

anjaru
    anjaru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 579

Can't believe what they gave up to get Peavy. Not only that, but his ridiculous salary. How do these baseball GMs still have a job after this? I would be fired at my job!

dynamite140

Guess what fellas. He pitched a complete game today and shut out the other team for the entire innings and won the game 1-0!

However, it was the Washington Nationals!!

This fraud can only shut down NL teams. The only teams he can shut down in the AL are the Royals and maybe the Indians. If this does not show you , i don't know what else will. His first great start of the year after 12 starts or so and its against the Pathetic Washington Nationals of the A.L.

Anyone else feel he is a fraud?

Watch this fraud get lit up again once interleague is over

richyrich8478
    richyrich8478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

he is not overated because he doesn't even get the attention anymore... he used to be dominant so thats why he was so big... but he doesn't get all that much attention anymore so he is not overated... also he has gone from nl to al which isn't the easiest thing to do for a pitcher

netinfo
    netinfo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone else feel he is a fraud?
    He's not really a fraud, it's just that he shouldn't be pitching in the AL. He belongs in the NL. It's well known that the AL is a better hitting league than the NL, and so a dominant NL pitcher can become an average pitcher in the AL.

If one were to bring him back to the Padres, or put him on the Giants squad, he'll most likely shine again.

netinfo

str8chedda
    str8chedda's Avatar Become A Pro!

whoever mentioned the steriods thing about peavy is right. just look at his velocity graphs on pitchfx lol. Since 2007 he has lost 3 MPH off his fastball on average and has not hit 95 MPH+ this year (or recently) since the start of 2007. take a guy off steriods and take him out of a park that catered to him and now you have the peavy of 2010.

taking 3 MPH someone's fastball would probably (on average) take a guy who is in the top 10% of pitchers to below average.
    Last edited by str8chedda; 06-19-10 at 06:57 PM.

dynamite140

If you put him back in the Padres, half of his games would be at Petco and of course his E.R.A will be low. i mean who isn't? The giants? Thats the 2nd most pitcher friendly park in baseball. Look at Roy Halladay and CC Sabathia. Every year they pitch great and consistent and they were pitching against the best hitters in baseball. You put CC in the Brewers and he destroyed the N.L. Halladay is doing very good likewise pitching against horrible NL teams.

Dominant in 2007? He was never dominant. That year he got lit up in the 1 game playoff game against the Rockies. And look at the WBC. The thing why i mentioned this is because many people considered Peavy to be an elite pitcher like Halladay and CC which he clearly does not come close to. I recall people asking who are the top 5 pitchers in baseball and hearing Peavy's name made me laugh everytime because he is average at best. Pitching in the NL and most importantly petco for half of your games don't make you no elite pitcher. Put Halladay or CC in the Padres and their ERA would probably be a 2 and under.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think plenty of guys are overrated like Peavy in MLB but he sure is a good choice as one of the top!

netinfo

If you put him back in the Padres, half of his games would be at Petco and of course his E.R.A will be low. i mean who isn't? The giants? Thats the 2nd most pitcher friendly park in baseball. Look at Roy Halladay and CC Sabathia. Every year they pitch great and consistent and they were pitching against the best hitters in baseball. You put CC in the Brewers and he destroyed the N.L. Halladay is doing very good likewise pitching against horrible NL teams.
    Well yes, that's my point as well. Average AL pitchers can do quite well in the NL, and dominant AL pitchers can crush the NL. Put CC or Roy in any NL team, and they'll be contenders for the Cy Young. On the other hand, very good or dominant NL pitchers are average at best in the AL.

The Padres and Giants organizations are strong pitching organizations, and if you put Peavy or any average AL pitcher there, he'll do well and excel, and has the possibility to become dominant in the NL, not dominant in the whole of MLB, but just dominant in the NL.

Dominant in 2007? He was never dominant. That year he got lit up in the 1 game playoff game against the Rockies. And look at the WBC. The thing why i mentioned this is because many people considered Peavy to be an elite pitcher like Halladay and CC which he clearly does not come close to. I recall people asking who are the top 5 pitchers in baseball and hearing Peavy's name made me laugh everytime because he is average at best. Pitching in the NL and most importantly petco for half of your games don't make you no elite pitcher. Put Halladay or CC in the Padres and their ERA would probably be a 2 and under.
    Peavy was indeed dominant in the NL in 2007, winning the Cy Young at 19-6, and with an ERA of 2.54. The game against the Rockies is irrelevant, because a pitcher is judged by his whole year's worth of pitching, not just one game. Peavy was an elite and dominate NL pitcher for that year, it's as simple as that. You don't win the Cy Young by being an average pitcher in a league. Yes, put Roy or CC on the Padres or Giants, and they'll very likely hover around a 2.0 ERA.

netinfo

dynamite140

yes i know he was 19-6 that year with a 2.54 ERA. However, did you know Chris Young did very well that year too? He was 9-8 however his ERA was 3.12 which is not that far from Peavy's 2.54 ERA. Anyone who pitches for the Padres would have a decent chance to win in the NL cy young. Look at how Peavy pitches against AL teams... no NOT the Royals and the Indians. And have you guys seen how he pitched against decent NL teams? He got crushed everytime against the Braves, Cubs, Diamondbacks... you know the better teams back then. All he could beat were the Nationals, and the Giants.

I always knew there was something that was fraudulent about Peavy. He said he did not want to come to the A.L because he wanted to bat. Yeah... the A.L's batting is what scared him.

Now Tim Lincecum. Even though he pitches for the Giants and their park is very friendly for pitchers, he is a true ace. If you put him on the White Sox, do you think he would sport a 5.02 ERA against AL teams after 12-13 games or so? Of course not.

Peavy is nothing more than an average pitcher at best.

netinfo

yes i know he was 19-6 that year with a 2.54 ERA. However, did you know Chris Young did very well that year too? He was 9-8 however his ERA was 3.12 which is not that far from Peavy's 2.54 ERA. Anyone who pitches for the Padres would have a decent chance to win in the NL cy young. Look at how Peavy pitches against AL teams... no NOT the Royals and the Indians. And have you guys seen how he pitched against decent NL teams? He got crushed everytime against the Braves, Cubs, Diamondbacks... you know the better teams back then. All he could beat were the Nationals, and the Giants.
    Yes, Chris was doing alright that year, but comparing a 9-8 record w/ 3.12 ERA against Peavy's 19-6 record w/ 2.54 ERA is not the smartest of comparisons that one can make. As far as Peavy in the NL, his 8-year win/loss record is 92-68, and I doubt all his wins came only against the "Nationals, and the Giants", lol.

I always knew there was something that was fraudulent about Peavy. He said he did not want to come to the A.L because he wanted to bat. Yeah... the A.L's batting is what scared him.
    No, there isn't anything "fraudulent" about Peavy, just a different pitcher in the AL, an average pitcher like every other average AL pitcher.

Now Tim Lincecum. Even though he pitches for the Giants and their park is very friendly for pitchers, he is a true ace. If you put him on the White Sox, do you think he would sport a 5.02 ERA against AL teams after 12-13 games or so? Of course not.
    Until Tim joins an AL team, we do not know for certain how he will perform over the long term in the AL. He could, and most likely will, be a an average pitcher in the AL. Jake's 8-year NL ERA is 3.29, whereas Tim's 4-year NL ERA is 2.93. Tim, therefore, is a bit better in ERA, but that's all in the NL. The AL is a different ballgame.

Peavy is nothing more than an average pitcher at best.
    In the AL, yes.

netinfo
    Last edited by netinfo; 06-19-10 at 08:44 PM.

dynamite140

Yea netinfo. But you guys do agree peavy is not an elite pitcher right? That is what the whole point of this thread. Its the fact that he is considered an elite pitcher that made me say this.

netinfo

But you guys do agree peavy is not an elite pitcher right?
    Not right now, no. Peavy is not an elite pitcher in the AL.

netinfo

netinfo

So to answer your question, I agree that Peavy is not currently an elite pitcher.

netinfo

netinfo

So long as he remains in the AL, I do not think he will ever become an elite pitcher again, like he was in the NL.

netinfo

str8chedda
    str8chedda's Avatar Become A Pro!

pitching in the AL is not his problem lol. its called sterrrroids. you dont lose 3 MPH off your best pitch during your prime for no reason.
    Last edited by str8chedda; 06-19-10 at 09:42 PM.

dynamite140

Well even when he was pitching good according to you guys a few years ago, he still pitched HORRIBLE when interleague play came. He got crushed when he pitched against the Yankees and the other AL teams that do not include the royals. Also, he was horrible against the Braves, and the Cubbies even with his 19-6 record. All he did was beat on the Giants and the Nationals and those Dodgers.

netinfo

pitching in the AL is not his problem lol. its called sterrrroids. you dont lose 3 MPH off your best pitch during your prime for no reason.
    I disagree. I think pitching in the AL is definitely the problem for Peavy. He is just not the same in the AL as he is in the NL.

As far as steroid use, Peavy has never failed the urine test results, as far as I know. I mean, I've never heard of Peavy being listed among the MLB players accused of using steroids. So, this accusation about steroids would need to be backed up by some scientific proof, like a failed test result.

netinfo

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

he certainly benefited from pitching in spacious petco park

dynamite140

All pitchers who pitch for the Padres have good ERA's. I mean when have you seen a total of 10 for a game at Petco. I don't think i ever seen it before. Always 7 or 7.5 and usually 8 at the most.

netinfo

Also, he was horrible against the Braves, and the Cubbies even with his 19-6 record.
    In his 2007 19-6 record, Peavy's 6 losses came against the Nationals, Red Sox, Marlins, Mets, Phillies, and Diamondbacks, so none of his losses that year were against the Braves or Cubs. Even his ND's (non-decisions) came against teams other than the Braves and Cubs. In fact, he didn't even pitch against the Braves that year, and he only pitched one game against the Cubs, which he actually won.

covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/mlb/players/logs/pitcher/2007/log41330.html

All he did was beat on the Giants and the Nationals and those Dodgers.
    Are you saying that his 92 wins in the NL all came at the expense of only those three teams? Common bro, you have to be more objective.

netinfo

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

an interesting thing about the NL: right now the top-yielding Teams are NL teams

dynamite140

This guy is a fraud. Watch him get lit up yet against this year pitching in the AL

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

no he is not overrated.... if he has a healthy arm he will be great this season

mwhelan11
    mwhelan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 95

peavy is only on a downward trend

First 1234 Last