Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Can't take it anymore....why isn't pitch trax used to call balls and strikes?

Is it because baseball doesn't want technology in the game? Is it because the technology isn't ready? Whatever the reason as a diehard baseball fan it is really getting tough to watch these umpires behind the plate keep botching the call. Not one play or even one game but just over time it seems to be pretty bad.
    Last edited by Mr. Teaser; 05-17-12 at 05:25 PM.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

strike zone is based on batter stance, which i don't think it really accounts for though it would be more accurate overall

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

I think managers would be able to have two challenges a game or some shit.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

sometimes there isn't a better mousetrap...

as proven by the current state of our country...

some things are better left alone, like strike zones and the United States of America...
    Points Awarded:

dodger33 gave iifold 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GOIRISH

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Someone is throwing a perfect game and he is 3-2 with 2 outs in the 9th and the pitch is a centimeter outside the zone...ball 4. no thanks i will stay with a human

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I hate the bad balls and strike calls too. But I'm not in favor of a trax count. If you really think about it there is no way to get a perfect electronic call. Think of the Nolan Ryan curve. Do you call a strike if it catches the back of the strike zone even though its a foot high at the front of the strike zone? Then you have guys that 5'5" and guys that are 6'6". Would you adjust it every time?

A better solution is stop rotating umpires. Find the guys who call balls and strikes accurately and leave them behind the plate. And constantly review them and like pilots, send them to a week of review every 4 weeks. Make them watch every call they made over and over. Basically get the best and increase their ongoing training.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

i like baseball the way that it is, bad calls are apart of the game. Football is already screwed up and goes to too many comercial breaks every other snap for reviews.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

i am for robot umps. the best thing about it is how to use a catcher when there is no one on base. teams would put that player in the field as an extra defender. more strategy.

joe madden's head would explode with the possibilities.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

That would be weird. I remember an episode of the Jetsons cartoon where the umpire was a robot.

Heck, maybe the players were robots as well.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    I hate the bad balls and strike calls too. But I'm not in favor of a trax count. If you really think about it there is no way to get a perfect electronic call. Think of the Nolan Ryan curve. Do you call a strike if it catches the back of the strike zone even though its a foot high at the front of the strike zone? Then you have guys that 5'5" and guys that are 6'6". Would you adjust it every time?

A better solution is stop rotating umpires. Find the guys who call balls and strikes accurately and leave them behind the plate. And constantly review them and like pilots, send them to a week of review every 4 weeks. Make them watch every call they made over and over. Basically get the best and increase their ongoing training.

But what if in a few years technology could track a Nolan Ryan type curve. Would you be in favor of it?

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    i like baseball the way that it is, bad calls are apart of the game. Football is already screwed up and goes to too many comercial breaks every other snap for reviews.

It wouldn't slow the game down at all. If anything it would speed it up because there wouldn't be much to argue. Balls and strikes that is.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

Quote Originally Posted by dodger33 View Post
    Someone is throwing a perfect game and he is 3-2 with 2 outs in the 9th and the pitch is a centimeter outside the zone...ball 4. no thanks i will stay with a human
    So if someone pitched a ball you would want it a strike to keep a perfect game? That's why?

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Umpires expand or contract their zones based upon the consistency of a pitcher. Pitchers who can consistently hit the black just a hair below the knees should be rewarded. robots would not reward that.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

Umpires expand or contract their zones based upon the consistency of a pitcher. Pitchers who can consistently hit the black just a hair below the knees should be rewarded. robots would not reward that.
    OK we can agree to disagree. I don't think any strike zone should be expanded or contracted. I think if a ball is a ball then it needs to be called as such....and it wouldn't really be a robot now would it.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

The time is getting closer

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2477

When the labor contract is up it might come down to that but baseball is such an old fashioned purist sport. It would never get voted in. Plus it's fun to see a manager argue with an ump, gets the crowd going!

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Yay....

No more being treated like 2nd rate morons by inept umpiring decisions for which there is ZERO recourse in place

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

As much as I hate bad umps that make the wrong calls, I think in the end it evens out and there really isnt any advantage.
    Electronic strike zones are just too much of a change for baseball that took years to implement instant replay. Baseball will never go to electronic strike zones...

iloseagain
    iloseagain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 268

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post

this is just absurd.. you realize there is like 8-15 games per day right? it sounds like you want the same umps to ump every game... what do you think they do with the umps? do you think they dont already put the guys who call balls and strikes the most accurately, behind the plate???

and what are they gonna review their calls from the camera that is behind the pitcher (like a TV camera view)? There is no angle from the umps eyes, which is all that would really matter in this scenario.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Yay....

No more being treated like 2nd rate morons by inept umpiring decisions for which there is ZERO recourse in place
    That's what pisses me off. Umps/refs/officials aren't held accountable at all for their actions. They can't wait to make themselves a part of the game, then they run off the field like chickenshit pussies afterward and don't have to face any form of media. It's a goddam joke.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20577

Why are you against a ball being called a ball?

larco15
    larco15's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 691

All of these umpires are 100 pounds overweight. They look like water buffaloes. You really think they can uphold the integrity of the game? There is a negative correlation between fat people and integrity. Two unwritten rules: 1. Umpires will hold grudges and act on them, be it on purpose or otherwise. 2. In a blowout in the 8th and 9th, the strike zone will mysteriously coordinate with the umpire´s taxi or flight plans.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 250

It's cause umps expand zone in 3-0 count and contract in 0-2

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

It's needs to happen.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

The tide is turning with the public. Hopefully it's just a couple years away until they fine tune the technology... though I that's somewhat of a bs excuse

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 215

How dare you criticize the umping on wristband night. You have a bad case of Umpaphobe going on and it really offends me.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

give it time and it will happen. They never thought they would over turn calls that an Ump made but now they have New York to call to overturn calls.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think it's on the table after the seasons over to have an automatic Umire which would be excellent and speed the game up

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

And take away the art of pitch framing?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Umpires too inconsistent

It wil make game much faster and more fair for each pitcher

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Greg Maddux would disagree

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins

I posted this 6 years ago. Watching another umpire butcher the strike zone yet again. I can only hope it's somewhere in the not to far distant future. Public opinion sure has changed in the time I posted this.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

MLB is the only league which allows it's officials to alter the rules & make up their own on a game to game basis.

The main reason I despise it.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Can’t wait till they pull heads out asses and they put a high school kid behind plate w a iPad. Nothing more frustrating than watching a game and seeing exactly what a ball and strike is while lousy ump has no clue.. only bad thing about that is umps are a great capping tool so it might hurt me if their tendencies and biases were taken out of game. On other hand it be nice to cap a game knowing neither pitcher will be unfairly squeezed or worrying about these inconsistent fukk ups.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Can’t wait till they pull heads out asses and they put a high school kid behind plate w a iPad. Nothing more frustrating than watching a game and seeing exactly what a ball and strike is while lousy ump has no clue.. only bad thing about that is umps are a great capping tool so it might hurt me if their tendencies and biases were taken out of game. On other hand it be nice to cap a game knowing neither pitcher will be unfairly squeezed or worrying about these inconsistent fukk ups.
    Agreed

12 Last