Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Reds Going for Broke Playoffs or Bust

I think this team wins the NL Central this year but Walt Jocketty still way way overpaid for Matt Latos & Sean Marshall imo. Its very questionable to me to expect Latos to switch from prob the best pitchers park in the game to one of the worst in Great American Smallpark. His road #s were actually better last year so who knows? I know I like how Yonder Alonso swings the bat and he goes the other way with power regularly (like Votto) which really plays well in GABP. No reason Votto couldn't have sucked it up and moved to LF imo? Ryan Braun did it and JV could've done it too. Aroldis Chapman needs to be in the rotation too? Quit screwing around already....if he needs to be limited to 5 innings like Jaime Garcia did in 2010 then thats ok. He just has too much talent and salary to be a middle reliever. He's miles ahead of Arroyo & Homer Bailey in ability at this point. Overall though...this team is loaded and has too many solid players in the prime of their careers to not be competitive like last year. Ryan Madson is 10x better than Cordero as well. Reds will win over 90 and make the NL Championship series imo. I know I'm a Reds homer but I also try harder to be realistic as a gambler.

Highness
    Highness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

How exactly are they "going for broke"? Latos is under team control for another 4 years. They gave up a catcher with 6 years of control who was considered a worse prospect than the catcher that will be starting for them this year(Morasco). And they gave up a guy with 6 years of control who they didn't have a position for. Usually going for broke is when you ship off promising prospects that would actually get to play on your team for a half year or year rental. You have it backwards

Moving Votto to left is ridiculous, he's one of the best defensive first baseman in baseball

Mr Handicapable

I would call it going for broke when you basically clean out your highly rated farm system for an unproven starter and a middle reliever. If Alonso hits like some think that he'll hit then it wouldn't be ridiculous to move to LF. Fielder is a slug at 1B and they won the division last year so getting a big bat in your lineup is just a wee bit more important then a good fielding first baseman. If you knew anything about the Reds...you'd know that they get completely shutdown by good pitching most of the time and built up their nice offensive numbers on scrubs.

Not to mention Votto is gone after next year anyway! Travis Wood was considered Cliff Lee light coming into 2011 and Dave Sappelt hit .340 in the minors so you deal them away for a middle reliever?
    Last edited by Mr Handicapable; 02-29-12 at 03:08 PM.

Highness
    Highness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Latos is an "unproven" starter, yet Travis Wood is Cliff Lee light

Mr Handicapable

Another SBR newbie....know absolutely NOTHING but just puke up a bunch of smarta$$ comments like you know something. I didn't say Travis Wood was Cliff Lee...I said the comparison has been made by others....esp after he had a perfect game thru 8 against Philly in 2010. All I know is that you don't trade a potential nice starting pitcher and starting outfielder for a middle reliever. Its a bad trade if either one pans out for the Cubs because the Reds still need a lefty starter & a left fielder. Chapman will prob end up in the pen anyway so they really didn't need another lefty. Hopefully signing Madson will be the move that pays off.