rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

ya. I'd like to see the starting lineups for those games, I guess I could do some digging. The Phils lost what, 7/8 in a row, with no one on the field. And then they field the real lineup and put up 9 runs on the Mets and then sweep the Braves right out of the playoffs.
    CLEARLY, the Phils are not concerned with the Cards. IF they were, they would have selected the youthful Diamondbacks. This is going to be 2-0 Phils heading to St Louis.
    Im not saying that the Phils will sweep or that this wont be a great series, Im just saying every knock on the phils is off base and coming from people who don't know the team. This team has to win this world series to justify the era, and I dont see anyone (except MAYBE the Yanks in WS) beating this team. Not much of a chance. It has no weakness. And how great did Stutes look last night?!
    And I still like the Tigers in the AL. REminds me of the 08 phils. Rolling September, perfect closer, great Ace.

I guess I should be asking everyone to lay big money on the CARDS! so I can get a nice line and make a shit load of coin.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

The series price will tell us all we need to know.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Phils in 4

Pitching will win, playoffs a little different than regular season

smittysayz
    @smittysayz
    smittysayz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

They roll in NLDS. I can see Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum and the Brewers O making a series of it in the NLCS.

After last night, this Mets fan is on the Rays bandwagon

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Phillies sir. Phillies

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Looks like Holiday and Furcal could miss games.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I love how people give opinions and don't even know how many games the series is.

The Cardinals were 6-3 against Philly this season and beat Lee and Halladay at Philly.

They have a shot here. It may be worth a gamble.

Saying Philly didn't care about those regular season games us a lame excuse.

Philly might be the better team but the Cards are hot and anything can happen in a short series.

CrimsonQueen
    CrimsonQueen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1660

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    The series price will tell us all we need to know.
    Well I don't see a series price, but I think this can already tell us all we need to know

14151 Philadelphia Phillies win World Series +175

14167 St Louis Cardinals win World Series +1500

Last edited by CrimsonQueen; 09-29-11 at 08:32 AM. Reason: format

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

what is the schedule and pitching matchups?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

A lot depends on if Lohse and Westbrook can give StL decent innings, which is a shaky proposition at best.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

This is where Doc and Cliff Lee step up their game. Its the playoffs!

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Can't imagine lee doing what he did last year.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

How about what he did two years ago?

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    what is the schedule and pitching matchups?
    Game 1 and 2 are Saturday and Sunday.

I don't think the Cards have their pitchers set but I see it like this:

Game 1 - Halladay vs Garcia
    Game 2 - Lee vs Jackson
    Game 3 - Hamels vs Carpenter
    Game 4 - Oswalt vs Westbrook/Lohse
    Game 5 - Halladay vs Garcia

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Can't imagine lee doing what he did last year.
    He was lights out the last 2 years in the Postseason, except for the WS last year. How quickly people forget how good he was for the Phillies in 2009.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Just found this:

Lohse vs Halladay
    Garcia vs Lee
    Carpenter vs Hamels
    Jackson vs Oswalt

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    LOL at those looking at the Season Series, the Phillies didn't care for most of that last series they played the Cards, and for those saying the Phillies were on cruise control, they just swept the Braves in 3 must win games for the Braves on the road.

Garcia vs Halladay
    Jackson vs Lee
    Carpenter vs Hamels
    Westbrook/Lohse vs Oswalt
    This post tells the whole story. The phills have the better pitcher in every matchup... No need to even mention that the phills had the best bats in the nl from the time they brought in pence till the game they clinched. Better starting pitching, better bats, better bullpen, better bench, less injuries ---- phills in 3 or 4.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

I think you are insane, and are really over valuing them. You have to remember they are ONLY IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF ATL. Its not like they had some great Rockie 2005 run. Where they went like 27-5 in there last 33 games. They had a good September, not bad. Not great.

The phillies, have the best record by far for a reason, and I think people will realize how great of a team they are in the playoffs. Because that is when Great Pitching is of most importance. This one is a sweep.

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    This post tells the whole story. The phills have the better pitcher in every matchup... No need to even mention that the phills had the best bats in the nl from the time they brought in pence till the game they clinched. Better starting pitching, better bats, better bullpen, better bench, less injuries ---- phills in 3 or 4.
    Really did not know they had the best offense post all star break, interesting.
    But when you have Halladay and Cliff lee as your top two guys in the playoffs, its almost unfair. Most times you would get all pumped up if you won game 1 as the under dog, yeah WE TOOK DOWN THEIR ACE. But nope the next day you have to play Cliff Lee, or then the next day you have to play Oswalt which would a number 1 guy on 75 percent of teams in baseball.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

short series, hot teams going in...........

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Is there a series price yet? I'd make Phillies maybe around a -220 fave?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    People just assume the Phillies are an auto win due to having Lee, Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels and Worley. Things are different in the playoffs. The Cardinals can beat the Phillies.
    Oswalt is nowhere near automatic, Phils line up is good, but not great, and overrated, for the Cards to have a chance, one of the big three aces from Philly needs to have a brain fart in the best of five.

Don't forget, Matt Holliday has inflammation in right hand, which is nothing if you play in the NFL, but it's a big deal when you need that hand to hold a 35 oz bat and make your living hitting balls over a fence 400 feet away.

Craig is a nice backup, but he's not Holliday.

When healthy, Pujols, Holliday, Berkman is the best 3-4-5 combo in the game right now, when not healthy, the Phils pitching can be selective to Pujols.

Cards chances become so much slimmer if the lineup has Craig and Punto in it, as opposed to Holliday and Furcal.

One of the posters mentioned the Cards bull pen suck.
    They do, so you can't go toe-to-toe for the first six innings with the Phils pitching, you need to be up on the Phils after six, because the Cards bull pen more time than not make a 2-2 game into a 2-4 defecit.

Having said all that, would love to see St. Louis shut up the arrogant Philly fans, don't see it though.

Cards will get a game, could make a series out of it, will not roll over, but I don't see them winning

SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7523

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Is there a series price yet? I'd make Phillies maybe around a -220 fave?
    It's not out yet, but it will be much more like Phillies -300. Everyone here can ramble all they want, but the bottom line is that the Phillies are heavy favorites, and the real experts who make the lines will give STL about a 25% chance to win. Of course STL can win the series. Upsets happen all the time. It sure as hell isn't going to be easy though when your first two games are on the road against Halladay and Lee.

As an enormous Phillies fan, this is definitely the team I wanted to face the least. You never want to start the postseason against a really hot team with huge bats, but in the end Pitching wins championships and the Phillies should handle this one. It could end up going five, but I just can't see the Phils losing one at home.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is no chance the Cardinals win against the Phillies.

Their best pitcher, Carpenter, pitched 9 innings last night and won't be ready until next tuesday.

Halladay and Lee are locks at home in Philly. I see a sweep for Philly. Get your brooms out.

jimkotecki
    jimkotecki's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope, they suck

linedrivr
    I'm your huckleberry
    linedrivr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    only 3 teams have a chance in these playoffs

phillies, yankees, and cards

winner here goes to the world series
    No Texas? No Detroit? solid pitching and hot bats going into the playoffs for both of these teams. Neither of these teams are intimidated by the Yankees.

The Yankees may not make it past Detroit and if they do survive that series, the Texas / TB winner will give them hell. The Yankees have a tough row to hoe to get to the world series and frankly, I don't think they have the arms to make it.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by linedrivr View Post
    No Texas? No Detroit? solid pitching and hot bats going into the playoffs for both of these teams. Neither of these teams are intimidated by the Yankees.

The Yankees may not make it past Detroit and if they do survive that series, the Texas / TB winner will give them hell. The Yankees have a tough row to hoe to get to the world series and frankly, I don't think they have the arms to make it.

I actually see this as a problem for anyone playing the Yankees. The Yanks finished this season 2nd in runs, 7th in batting average, 2nd in on-base percentage, and 3rd in slugging percentage.

Whoever plays them needs to have solid pitching performances because the Yankees can light teams up.

On the other hand, their starting pitching is their weak spot. If, however, the Yanks get decent performances from their starters, their offense is good enough to carry them.

I think the Phillies have the best chance for winning the World Series but I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks pulled it off.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I love how people give opinions and don't even know how many games the series is.

The Cardinals were 6-3 against Philly this season and beat Lee and Halladay at Philly.

They have a shot here. It may be worth a gamble.

Saying Philly didn't care about those regular season games us a lame excuse.

Philly might be the better team but the Cards are hot and anything can happen in a short series.

To be fair, the Cards at that time, were desperately fighting to have a chance to make the playoffs, while the Phillies had already locked best record and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Shortly after that series, the Phillies lost a season high 8 straight games where they just didn't care and were swept by the Washington Nationals and lost 2 out of 3 to the Mets.

Would you seriously suggest that because of those games and that losing streak that the Washington Nationals or Mets would beat the Phillies in a playoff series?

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

LOL, Apparently Larussa is thinking about starting Jackson over Garcia in Game 2.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Phillies opened at -240 for the series on Pinny, -275 now

neverstoppers23

Who cares what the regular season series w-l i dont care. Halladay is great in the playoffs, and like others aid your best pitcher can't go in game 1.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

*off topic*
    I see the Brewers giving Philly fits if it's the Brews/Phils in the NLCS

linedrivr
    I'm your huckleberry
    linedrivr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    I actually see this as a problem for anyone playing the Yankees. The Yanks finished this season 2nd in runs, 7th in batting average, 2nd in on-base percentage, and 3rd in slugging percentage.

Whoever plays them needs to have solid pitching performances because the Yankees can light teams up.

On the other hand, their starting pitching is their weak spot. If, however, the Yanks get decent performances from their starters, their offense is good enough to carry them.

I think the Phillies have the best chance for winning the World Series but I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks pulled it off.
    your splitting hairs in your Yankees edge analysis on offense. Here are the stats where the same case can be made for Texas. Detroit is not far behind in these categories. Either way, all 4 first round series should be competitive and fun to watch. looking forward to it.

TEAM BA
    #1 TEX .283
    #3 DET .277
    #5 STL .273
    #7 NYY .263
    #8 MIL .261
    #15 PHI .253
    #19 AZ .250
    #25 TB .244

TEAM OBP
    #2 NYY .343
    #3 STL .341
    #4 TEX & DET .340
    #10 MIL .325
    #11 PHI .323
    #12 TB & AZ .322

TEAM SLUGGING
    #2 TEX .460
    #3 NYY .444
    #4 DET .434
    #5 MIL & STL .425
    #8 AZ .413
    #13 TB .402
    #17 PHI .395

TEAM OPS
    #2 TEX .800
    #3 NYY .788
    #4 DET .773
    #5 STL .766
    #6 MIL .750
    #9 AZ .736
    #14 TB .724
    #15 PHI .717

TEAM RUNS SCORED
    #2 NYY - 867
    #3 TEX - 855
    #4 DET - 787
    #5 STL - 762
    #9 AZ - 731
    #11 MIL - 721
    #13 PHI - 713
    #15 TB - 707

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Quote Originally Posted by SparJMU View Post
    It's not out yet, but it will be much more like Phillies -300. Everyone here can ramble all they want, but the bottom line is that the Phillies are heavy favorites, and the real experts who make the lines will give STL about a 25% chance to win. Of course STL can win the series. Upsets happen all the time. It sure as hell isn't going to be easy though when your first two games are on the road against Halladay and Lee.

As an enormous Phillies fan, this is definitely the team I wanted to face the least. You never want to start the postseason against a really hot team with huge bats, but in the end Pitching wins championships and the Phillies should handle this one. It could end up going five, but I just can't see the Phils losing one at home.
    Good call. Looks like -280. Guess I was a little low. I like Philly too, just thought it might be a touch lower. Baseball, 5 game series, anything can happen.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Baseball is such a crap shoot, best teams in baseball are only -135 and -260 to win a series.

First 12345 ... Last