Be Realistic About Djoko v. Murray

Last 2 players Murray faced in the finals:
    -Dolgopolov and Ferrer
    -struggled against both
    -Lucky to dodge Nadal because of that thigh injury

Last 2 players Djokovic faced:
    -Berdych and Federer
    -Beat them both in 3 straight sets

Murray will win a grand slam in the future and this final could represent a new Rivalry between him and Djoko. Djoko is extremely fit and mentally focused, so betting against him because you think the British are due a trophy after 75 years doesn't make sense, please give me a solid reason.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

he in my eyes should be -225..he is the hot player and determined. His semi final match was more impressive then murray..we will see

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Im taking murray..

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

more of a coin flip

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

why is a 3 vs a 5 a coin flip when the 3 is playing great...

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is very backwards thinking IMO. Dolgopolov knocked off Soderling and is a player who is going to be in the Top 20 at some point if he keeps himself away from the gambling syndicates. If you follow tennis, this kid has been an up and comer since last year - only the media stooges like ESPN just became aware of this kid now. Ferrer has been playing perhaps the best tennis of his life on hard courts to start the year and his defensive style is as tough a match-up as you'll find in tennis. Just because they are not the "name" players people expected to see does not mean they weren't tough outs and that Djokovic wouldn't have had problems with players of that caliber. Berdych has always been an easy match-up for Djokovic and he's still no where near his form early last year and into the summer. So that to me was an easier road than Murray had in the last two. The win against Federer was obviously impressive. In my opinion, Murray beat equally tough opponents in the last two rounds if not tougher based on the form they were both in.

At the end of the day, outside of people's perceived notion that beating Federer is the end-all-be-all mark, there is not much to separate the two. They are both very good on this surface. They are both solid returners. I'd give a slight edge to Murray on serve and still think that if this match wears on into a 4th or 5th set it will favor someone like Murray who has already dealt with the pressure and conditions vs. Djokovic who has not had much adversity at all to deal with.

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

^ right on

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    This is very backwards thinking IMO. Dolgopolov knocked off Soderling and is a player who is going to be in the Top 20 at some point if he keeps himself away from the gambling syndicates. If you follow tennis, this kid has been an up and comer since last year - only the media stooges like ESPN just became aware of this kid now. Ferrer has been playing perhaps the best tennis of his life on hard courts to start the year and his defensive style is as tough a match-up as you'll find in tennis. Just because they are not the "name" players people expected to see does not mean they weren't tough outs and that Djokovic wouldn't have had problems with players of that caliber. Berdych has always been an easy match-up for Djokovic and he's still no where near his form early last year and into the summer. So that to me was an easier road than Murray had in the last two. The win against Federer was obviously impressive. In my opinion, Murray beat equally tough opponents in the last two rounds if not tougher based on the form they were both in.

At the end of the day, outside of people's perceived notion that beating Federer is the end-all-be-all mark, there is not much to separate the two. They are both very good on this surface. They are both solid returners. I'd give a slight edge to Murray on serve and still think that if this match wears on into a 4th or 5th set it will favor someone like Murray who has already dealt with the pressure and conditions vs. Djokovic who has not had much adversity at all to deal with.
    This is the best response I've gotten by far on this game. I still disagree with you that Murray had to face tougher adversity, but at least you made some great points that will help me on this game. Thanks.
    Last edited by JOHON8; 01-29-11 at 06:26 PM.

Jock
    Jock's Avatar Become A Pro!

Murray trauma - pain in the side

Scottish
    Scottish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

I think Djokovic is the favourite on what we've seen so far but the longer the match lasts in the heat the more it favours Murray.

Djokovic has wilted in the heat many times so hopefully Muzza can do it.

Tsonga
    Tsonga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Just because dolpo knocked out Soderling doesn't mean that anyone who beats dolpo would have beaten Soderling.

Just like it doesn't mean that just because Djoker beat Fed that Murray would have too. I think Murray would have lost to Fed again in the finals if they were to have played.

Joker will take out Murray IMO.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Dolgopolov is very talented. The problem there is his propensity for match-fixing.

If he stayed away from that, he'd be much higher in the rankings. He's also one of the best on hard courts.

Ferrer has vastly improved on hard courts and it would've been tough for anyone the way he played against Nadal.

In the last two matches, I'd say Djokovic clearly had the tougher road, but it's closer than you might think.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    Just because dolpo knocked out Soderling doesn't mean that anyone who beats dolpo would have beaten Soderling.

Just like it doesn't mean that just because Djoker beat Fed that Murray would have too. I think Murray would have lost to Fed again in the finals if they were to have played.

Joker will take out Murray IMO.
    Tsonga was Djokovic's opponent in his Aussie Open win.

ha1ogen
    ha1ogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2797

i agree djokovic should take this

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    why is a 3 vs a 5 a coin flip when the 3 is playing great...
    Murray's game should match up well against Djokovic. The more baseline rallies there are, the more it favours Novak but Murray is maybe the best player in the game at mixing things up and throwing 'junk balls' at his opponent.

Head to head record is 4-3 to Djokovic but Murray has won the last 3 in straight sets, all on hard courts.

Hard match to call but I would not be laying -160 for Djoker.

oChRoNiCo
    DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT SON!
    oChRoNiCo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12049

I am going with Djokovic but I know nothing about tennis LoL

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

i will take murray if have to. value is there. this is most suitable time to back him. still fresh. he fail here, basically i expect his 2011 season be more embarassing than 2010 with all the media pressure bout those 75 years waiting and i dont even need to consider think of backing him on next 3 grandslams..

but, i'm more interested on playing props. over7.5 service break, 5 sets played, over7.5 double faults seems good to me

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

im cheering for andy to win his first major

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

I could have taken the advice of other people and the media about the historic BS and the 'statistical advantage'. But the reality was Djokovic was extremely fit, I saw when I actually watched the matches. I saw Murray struggle even when he dodged Nadal, while Djoko had to overcome Federer. He overcame everyone, only dropped 1 set the entire tourney and sweeped the rest in 3 sets. You you have to be realistic with what you see not with what others tell you to see, be realistic.

Nike needs to hire me for their commercial campaigns.

Be Realistic
    -Nike

Tsonga
    Tsonga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    I could have taken the advice of other people and the media about the historic BS and the 'statistical advantage'. But the reality was Djokovic was extremely fit, I saw when I actually watched the matches. I saw Murray struggle even when he dodged Nadal, while Djoko had to overcome Federer. He overcame everyone, only dropped 1 set the entire tourney and sweeped the rest in 3 sets. You you have to be realistic with what you see not with what others tell you to see, be realistic.

Nike needs to hire me for their commercial campaigns.

Be Realistic
    -Nike
    i agreed with your analysis and played it that way....and to add to that - I HATE the way Murray plays tennis. The passivity drives me nuts. he is hernia inducing if you wager on him. mind you against certain players he is very hard to beat.