shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Australian Open Contest - Feedback please!

Hey guys - I'll be running a contest for the Aussie Open and I'm thinking of following the same structure I used for the US Open however I'm debating about whether I should just start it from Round 1. Obviously the problem with that is it'll take more time for you to submit your initial picks - and means more work for me - but this may also give some people more of a chance to build up a good score at the beginning even if they have no one through to the semis etc.

Here's a refresher from the last contest. Please let me know what you think! The draw will be released on Jan 14th down here so we still have plenty of time to figure it out.

Rules from US Open Contest:
    I will be posting the match-ups as soon as they're released for Round 3. Each person is to PM me their winners all the way through until the Final and once the first match commences, I'll post everyone's picks so all of us can follow along. You will receive 5 points for each correct winner of a match with a 15 point bonus if you correctly predict a winner of a match who is seeded 6 places or lower than his competitor. There will be a 100 point bonus to your score if you correctly pick the two players in the Final and a 50 point bonus if you correctly predict the winner of the Final. If you have chosen the winner of the Final and they are seeded outside of the top 10, you will receive an additional 200 point bonus. The entry fee is 15 points which must be paid before the commencement of the first match of Round 3 and SBR will also be contributing a substantial amount to the prize pool. Once I've received all the entries and the contest is closed, I'll post the prizes along with everyone's picks.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I remember this contest, it was very good but I think I had issues with the format

Then again I was only one complaining , I do not remember if you threw me out of it

I will try it again

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

I'm in.

necro
    Update your status
    necro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

in too, should be good contest

brucethebear
    brucethebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds great. I am keen.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Shari, thanks for running the contest. I like the idea of opening it up to earlier rounds, though it makes it more like a "bracket" contest (w/ bonuses for picking upsets).

Opening it in earlier rounds might make it more of a tennis handicappers contest and less of an action junkies lucky chance, which for me is a positive.

Really looking forward to the season. Haven't done much handicapping this fall/winter but I really enjoy betting/watching tennis. Even got tickets to attend the Sony Ericsson this year.

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

my advice will be to make the rules so that it's not just about picking the finalists and winner
    Last edited by noober; 12-30-10 at 12:36 PM.

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

love these contests, take so much work though

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ill join anything run by Shari.

Peanut
    Peanut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can I request personalized pictures as a prize?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I say the simpler the better. The seeding upset bonus seems unnecessary to me. I'd say to alleviate going out of your mind on tracking those matches, why not just up the points won per correct pick with each round - that still rewards upset picks to an extent. Just my two cents.

And you dinks stick to tennis or contest comments, none of this BS about Shari again like those fags did in PT.

Tsonga
    Tsonga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I say the simpler the better. The seeding upset bonus seems unnecessary to me. I'd say to alleviate going out of your mind on tracking those matches, why not just up the points won per correct pick with each round - that still rewards upset picks to an extent. Just my two cents.

And you dinks stick to tennis or contest comments, none of this BS about Shari again like those fags did in PT.
    i agree.

noober

yeah, make it simpler but start with round 1 and don't give way too many pooints for the later rounds

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

I'm in, day by day =or- units would be ok too, but I'll play regardless of format.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    I'm in, day by day =or- units would be ok too, but I'll play regardless of format.
    I meant + or - units

noober

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    I meant + or - units
    unless sbr puts tennis as an official sport units will be very tough for the grader

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

i am in thanks for running this shari

brucethebear
    brucethebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

My only thoughts against starting in round 1 would be all the extra work for you Shari. An extra 190 odd games per entry.
    Btb

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

What a wonderful idea. OP is an asset to the forum.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

I will participate.

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

what ep said..

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by dfberger23 View Post
    I will participate.
    +1.

shantymoon
    shantymoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree with eagles phan 36

sportscash
    See ya SBR
    sportscash's Avatar Become A Pro!

That does sound good i am in

mcbaseball10
    mcbaseball10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1905

I was not involved in the first contest so I might not understand it completely, but couldn't you setup the contest through SBR Book so it automatically grades it for you and then you take the results and format it however you want?
    Last edited by mcbaseball10; 12-31-10 at 04:59 PM.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

sbr should give 1000 points for the contest

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by mcbaseball10 View Post
    I was not involved in the first contest so I might not understand it completely, but couldn't you setup the contest through SBR Book so it automatically grades it for you and then you take the results and format it however you want?
    Yeah, I probably could but the Book isn't too reliable for posting tennis lines. Especially in the earlier rounds. Would be nice though if it were - it would definitely make running these contest so much easier.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Should be a great contest and hopefully one I finally win.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

i didnt get in those contest, just didnt understand it

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks Shari for doing this. I'm going to try to do some small contests for the non-Slams to keep the interest in tennis going. Always seems to be lots of traffic during the Slams and then he die down ... but I think late last year, it seemed like we had a pretty solid group of regulars. I'll start a thread for those contests after the Aussie Open.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

i do not like the setup. i always wanted to do a round by round pick em instead of filling out the whole bracket. You can also give points for predicting the correct number of sets like say

Fed vs. Querrey - Fed in 4
    Lopez vs. Verdasco - Verdasco in 3
    etc

shari91

Goatie - round by round makes it hard for those people who don't log in every day or may forget to submit their picks. And do you realise how much work it will be for me to gather and post everyone's picks round by round? Sooooo many matches.

EP, yeah, I was thinking the same thing a month or two ago. I can't see SBR kicking points in for them very often but at least it'll keep things a bit more exciting for those of us in here every day.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    i didnt get in those contest, just didnt understand it
    If you need help or have any questions, just post them in here or PM me. It seems complicated at first but it's really not. It will take you a bit of time to submit your picks though. But once your done, you just sit back the rest of the week and hope to collect some loot. The prizes more than make up for it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    Ill join anything run by Shari.

Stacocakes
    Stacocakes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 538

I'm always up for a tennis contest.

Agree that a round by round contest probably wouldn't work. People may forget to update their picks after every round and it would just be a mess.

Both the full bracket and the final 8 bracket, I believe that was the other type that we had, both worked fine. I'm up for whatever type you guys choose.

Can't wait for the Open

eSTOXX
    eSTOXX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Sounds to be a good contest.