BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Could Nadal win 5 majors in a row?

if he wins tomorrow, I see him finally getting a career grand slam and then winning Austrailian and French next year

tennis history in the making

Tsonga
    Tsonga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

short answer is 'no'

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

Well, I actually think it's possible and Fed's most grand slam wins record is in real danger.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19599

Now that Federer has obviously lost a step or two, Nadal's athreat to win the calendar Grand Slam next year.

fixxer
    fixxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Possibly.....Fed&Djoko are playing their worst recently

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

Nadal at -290 looks like gold.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nadal won't win all four Slams in the same year any time soon in my opinion. Too many big hitters who can get it done on the hard surfaces and challenge him. The U.S. Open is going to be for him like the French was for Federer. Being so late in the season, it will always be Nadal's kryptonite because he'll be worn down a bit by August.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

If he ever goes to the US Open with a Grand Slam chance, he'll take a month off before the tournament and fatigue will be no factor.

Fthenorm
    Fthenorm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 795

At Nadal's youthful age he is constantly running into injury problems...Sampras and Fed never encountered these constant issues...Nadal cannot match or pass either...Unlike Fed, Nadal is not really improving at this stage of his career..If anything, he is more vulnerable

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

Yeah, but how many grand slams did Sapras and Fed had when they were Nada's age? I am sure much less.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by noober View Post
    Yeah, but how many grand slams did Sapras and Fed had when they were Nada's age? I am sure much less.
    Federer won his first one at the '03 Wimbledon when he was 24.

Sampras won his first at 19, with the '90 US Open and had 5 by the time he turned 24.

Nadal won his first at 19 in '05 at the French and now has 7 at the age of 23. If he wins today, he'll have 8 within his first month of turning 24.

Say what you will about him, but Nadal has already surpassed Sampras and completely blown away Federer for career Slam wins at his age. He has won 3 Slams in the past 2 years on surfaces other than clay for the first time and will win his 4th today. To say he is not really improving (in reference to Fthenorm's post) is downright laughable.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Guy has some serious knee problems.

BettingWizard

Nadal isn't improving????

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Australian is possible for him again with the right draw, but the US - can't see it.

BettingWizard

BettingWizard

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post

Sampras won his first at 19, with the '90 US Open and had 5 by the time he turned 24.

Nadal won his first at 19 in '05 at the French and now has 7 at the age of 23. If he wins today, he'll have 8 within his first month of turning 24.

Say what you will about him, but Nadal has already surpassed Sampras and completely blown away Federer for career Slam wins at his age. He has won 3 Slams in the past 2 years on surfaces other than clay for the first time and will win his 4th today. To say he is not really improving (in reference to Fthenorm's post) is downright laughable.
    BW!! I forgot about this thread after he won.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Lets see Nadal win 16 majors by the time hes 29 then we'll put him in the same sentence as Federer

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

Lets see Nadal win 16 majors by the time hes 29 then we'll put him in the same sentence as Federer
    He now has 8 at 24 and is more than likely hitting his 9th Final here. Eight Slams at the age of 24 on all surfaces when the two other people that noober referenced in the original question I answered had 1 and 5 respectively at the same age at a time when Roger was dominant. Who did Roger face during that time who was at the top of his game like he was? No one because there's no comparison to Roger at this moment based on Slam titles alone.

Nadal now has 5 years to win another 8, with Roger on his way out of the game at some point during that time, with Nadal's serve already improving dramatically somehow (something most people felt was a big weakness of his) and with having won a Slam on all surfaces 4 years before Roger managed to do it. Even though he may face injury concerns in the next few years - something a lot of people seem to be banking on, considering he took a chunk of last year off and came back firing I'd be willing to put some cash on a prop at a book that he'll give Roger's record a good run for its money barring any drug problem or superstar meltdown of some sort on Nadal's part.
    Last edited by shari91; 09-10-10 at 08:17 PM.

Goat Milk

He now has 8 at 24 and is more than likely hitting his 9th Final here. Eight Slams at the age of 24 on all surfaces when the two other people that noober referenced in the original question I answered had 1 and 5 respectively at the same age. He now has 5 years to win another 8, with Roger on his way out of the game at some point during that time, with Nadal's serve improving dramatically somehow and with having won a Slam on all surfaces 4 years before Roger managed to do it. Even though he may face injury concerns in the next few years, considering he took a chunk off last year off and came back firing I'd be willing to put some cash on a prop at a book that he'll give Roger's record a good run for its money barring any drug problem or superstar meltdown of some sort on Nadal's part.
    I agree completely. I've always said from when I started watching Nadal years back that he and Federer will go down as the two greatest ever to play the game. But right now Federer is the greatest and I would rather take Federer in his prime over Nadal in his prime (which is right now) to be honest. I think nadal will continue to get better and better, there is no limit to his potential. The only person I see giving him a good run at the French next year (besides Federer of course) is Almagro. And Almagro will win 1 French open in the next 2-3 years. I wish Gasquet could win a hard court major at some point, but I don't know if he has the drive.

aman86
    aman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

So goat you would take fed over nadal if they make finals on Sunday. I like fed to take care of joker again he really hasn't been tested n not playing super sharp it's his opponent giving it to him. And to me fed looks on top of his game this tourny or do you see that he's not his old self? I guess we'll find that out tomorrow but to me fed has impressed me more this tourny

aman86
    aman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Realizing the finals time on Sunday in can't help but realize the significant advantage nadal will have in the Finals. I mean the 2nd semi winner will have less than 24 hours to get ready and thy 3-4 hour difference will be huge in physical recovery. I cannot believe the usopen would do this. Why have a shitty depleted finals match when you could jav a well rested one a day later. The only good thing is I guess Feds done this before but especially with nadals walk thru and a possible long match with joker this is making me believe nadal will cruise on Sunday

Michigan
    Michigan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i would have to say NO WAY. Too much competition in men's tennis.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!

It looks possible now - although only because of the absurdly easy draw he's had. Last two years he's had easy draws also, but ran into Murray and Del Potro in the semis and got beaten comfortably. This year he gets Youzhny, which is as good as a walkover into the final.

He'll be favourite for Australia probably, then wins Roland Garros of course, and Wimbledon probably favourite too.

UpsetSpecial09
    UpsetSpecial09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Federer wins

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by aman86 View Post
    Realizing the finals time on Sunday in can't help but realize the significant advantage nadal will have in the Finals. I mean the 2nd semi winner will have less than 24 hours to get ready and thy 3-4 hour difference will be huge in physical recovery. I cannot believe the usopen would do this. Why have a shitty depleted finals match when you could jav a well rested one a day later. The only good thing is I guess Feds done this before but especially with nadals walk thru and a possible long match with joker this is making me believe nadal will cruise on Sunday
    Nadal will CRUISE?

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    if he wins tomorrow, I see him finally getting a career grand slam and then winning Austrailian and French next year

tennis history in the making

I do too.....

Might be awhile before he loses again.......

The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Better Federer lose here than get an ass kicking by Nadal tomorrow.

The General

Didn't hurricane Earl have some impact on the scheduling here?

BettingWizard

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Australian Open is going to be the biggest wildcard every year. You've got little prep coming in and usually extremely hot weather conditions effecting the tournament at some point. The two hard court Slams IMO will be the most open men's tourneys each year. Lots of big hitters who can get hot and make a run on that surface whereas the French is a very one sided tournament and Wimbledon is a 3-4 horse race for the most part.

HailtoPitt
    HailtoPitt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rafffaaa

The General

If Healthy Rafa Nadal is the best tennis player on Earth no question no doubt no way around it. I like Federer very much but was glad that Jockeyvick beat him to save the embarrassment of Nadal beating Federer in straight sets in the final. Why put off the inevitable? Nadal, staying healthy, will dominate for a long time. He'll lose some, Yes, but he is the money man in tennis right now no question, no doubt, no way around it. EOS , IMO.
    Last edited by The General; 09-14-10 at 01:00 AM. Reason: 'mjuch' spelling correction

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    If Healthy Rafa Nadal is the best tennis player on Earth no question no doubt no way around it. I like Federer very mjuch but was glad that Jockeyvick beat him to save the embarrassment of Nadal beating Federer in straight sets in the final. Why put off the inevitable? Nadal, staying healthy, will dominate for a long time. He'll lose some, Yes, but he is the money man in tennis right now no question, no doubt, no way around it. EOS , IMO.

can't agree more. if he can stay healthy and no major injury for another 4-5 years, we're witnessing big history in making that will be remembered years later.

Fthenorm
    Fthenorm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 795

Fed was lucky Nadal went down so he could take the French...Nadal is lucky that Delpo was out of the mix because he would have been the toughest roadblock

12 Last