navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Is tennis about to enter a dark period?

Venus and Serena don't have much time left in the game. Sharapova prolly won't return. Federer's probably down to his last year or two. Nadal has lost most of his game. And now Djokovic may be showing signs in his last 3 majors that his best is behind him. Who's left? Murray? He's in his late 20s, too. Where is the young talent? I don't think guys like Kyrgios and Tomic are good enough to carry the torch of the Big 4, and there's no one on the women's side that excites people. And USA tennis has no one on the horizon.

Now some may argue tennis has been heading for dark times since the end of Agassi-Sampras, but I think there was a lot of energy still with the Federer-Nadal-Djokovic and even Murray battles, plus Serena garners interest on the women's side. I really enjoyed watching the Big 4 all in their prime. I just don't see much hope on the horizon.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Sharapova suspension ends April 26.

concerning the rest, we are gamblers.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

sharapova is going to DOMINATE the womens side mark my words. So many mentally weak players, she's going to kill it the next 2 years

Snowball

I will need ear muffs.

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5712

Young talent will grow to fill the void. Watch out for the Opelkas, Konjuhs, etc.

gunslinger572
    gunslinger572's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 27016

A lot of young American coming out on both the men's and the women's side...once Murray and Djoke fade (still don't think it'll be for a few years) we'll have Dimitrov Zverev Raonic Nishikori at the top. Maybe Kyrgios maybe not. There's gonna be more parity sure, but I don't necessarily think that'll be a bad thing

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5712

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger572 View Post
    A lot of young American coming out on both the men's and the women's side...once Murray and Djoke fade (still don't think it'll be for a few years) we'll have Dimitrov Zverev Raonic Nishikori at the top. Maybe Kyrgios maybe not. There's gonna be more parity sure, but I don't necessarily think that'll be a bad thing
    Kyrgios is not interested in tennis. Forget him.

dhristov211
    2023 year of Josh
    dhristov211's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 770

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger572 View Post
    usa will dominate men/women for next decades

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

2017 is a great year for the atp
    lots of injured players last year,

w@lt
    w@lt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

I woudn't call it a "dark period". Possibly more parity and competition, which is good. Zverev, Thiem come to mind. Too bad Kyrgios is not interested- could be easy top 5, maybe even #1.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor
    gorwin068's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4609

No doubt Sharapova has made a huge mistake regarding the drug cheat. But she had really been an important player on the tour, as well as Azarenka. I do miss these two a lot. They were really powerful players to watch.

Tboonepickem
    Tboonepickem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5430

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    Young talent will grow to fill the void. Watch out for the Opelkas, Konjuhs, etc.

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by gorwin068 View Post
    No doubt Sharapova has made a huge mistake regarding the drug cheat. But she had really been an important player on the tour, as well as Azarenka. I do miss these two a lot. They were really powerful players to watch.
    Except for the part where Serena was allowed to take steroids and Sharapova's
    medicine was not a performance-enhancing drug.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Agassi Sampras doesn't compare to Nadal Federer duels bro. Even Agassi himself said he is no where near the level of Federer and Nadal and those guys changed the way tennis was played.

Nadal's best days aren't behind him. He will win more majors 100%. And Djoker will. And if we're lucky, Fed will too. Those 3 guys plus Murray are going to continue to dominate tennis for the next 4 years. You'll see. Sure some other guys will win here and there, but for the most part, those 4 will always be the big 4.

You shall see.

Btw Roger and Nadal are the two greatest of all time and it's not even close. Sampras isn't anywhere near Nadal. Djokovic is climbing up there too but needs about 3 more elite years.