gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor
    gorwin068's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4609

WTA question - curious about this

Would anyone know which way would possibly give more points/money to a player? I mean, those lower ranking WTA/ITF players should assume they should not last long in a Grand Slam, will they actually gain more in smaller tournaments instead? (supposed if they have the chances to go deeper in that smaller tournament)

I am always curious about this, because it seems that most players(especially WTA) would usually lose early(or retired or withdrawn) in the smaller tournaments before Grand Slam, but then they may still lose in early rounds of the Grand slam. So why wouldn't they put more effort on the smaller tournaments instead? If they go deep in the smaller ones, they may get more points than losing very early in a Grand slam?

Or a Win in Grand Slam would give a lot to a player already? Even a Win in qualifying round?

I would agree that top players are reasonable to avoid smaller tournaments, but why it seems that even not the top players would do it too?
    Last edited by gorwin068; 01-09-17 at 10:45 PM.

Honeybadger44
    Update your status
    Honeybadger44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

prize money in grand slams is huge. Just to compete in first round pays 50k in this years AO.

rgrant2214
    rgrant2214's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

But what sense does it make to play in a smaller tournament knowing you have no plans to finish it out because you plan on going to a bigger one? Practice? Hahahaha

nature_one
    nature_one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 767

Quote Originally Posted by rgrant2214 View Post
    But what sense does it make to play in a smaller tournament knowing you have no plans to finish it out because you plan on going to a bigger one? Practice? Hahahaha
    Not really sure why they do it as well..This happened today btw,2 players that both want to leave Hobart to go and play AO qualies..
    https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/st...28117854724096