hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

Retiring in Tennis

hi there!

I was wondering how "retiring" goes in a tennis match? Must a player have a sufficient reason to retire (e.g. injury)?

I'm asking because sometimes a player is down 1-6; 1-4 and the only reasonable choice to make is to retire - what's the point of continuing the game? Do players lose rank when they retire or is it a "good tone" to finish the game regardless of the result? Or maybe finishing the game gives that player some kind of points?

thanks

Lightning
    Lightning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2229

Quote Originally Posted by hotelis View Post

I was wondering how "retiring" goes in a tennis match? Must a player have a sufficient reason to retire (e.g. injury)?
    They don't have to, but retiring for any reason other than injury is considered very bad sportsmanship. If they did have another reason, they'll say they have an injury, just to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by hotelis View Post

I'm asking because sometimes a player is down 1-6; 1-4 and the only reasonable choice to make is to retire - what's the point of continuing the game? Do players lose rank when they retire or is it a "good tone" to finish the game regardless of the result? Or maybe finishing the game gives that player some kind of points?

Oh dear. The 'only reasonable choice'. If you retired beacuse of that, that's basically the worst sportsmanship you can find i.e. 'i'm losing but i'm going to retire so you won't actually beat me'. It's just a c*nty attitude. Ranking points are based on a rolling system i.e. if Djokovic wins Miami in 2014 and then retires in the final in 2015, he still loses 400 points, and perhaps rankings (Djokovic maybe not the best example because he probably wouldn't go down in ranking).