Lightning
    Lightning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2229

Monday (16/05) Tennis Picks

Hey guys, thought I'd add a bit of value to this forum by posting my picks when I can. If you're a little confused by the pricing system, you can convert it to the American system as follows:

1) Take the price, and multiply it by 100.
    2) Subtract 100 from that.
    3) Whack a + in front of it.

i.e. $3.50 -> 3.5 x 100 = 350 -> 350-100 = +250

If you don't want to do that every time, the decimal system is still fairly easy to follow. $2 is the same as +100, and $1.90 is evens, or what you guys would call -110. The number in front of the dollar sign is what you'd get if you put $1 on it i.e. if you have a price of $1.50 - putting $1 on that would return you $15, or $5 profit.

ATP NICE

- Zverev -2.5 games - $1.66 - TWO STAKES

Edmund's form line on clay looks fairly impressive, with 12 wins from his last 15. Let's dig a bit deeper. He's played three ATP level players in that time (Garcia Lopez, Rosol and Paire). He lost to both Paire and Garcia Lopez. The rest of the players he's beat have been challenger players. Not taking anything away from him - those guys are still hard to beat - but they're a hell of a lot easier than Zverev will be.

Zverev has had his best year by a long way, and it's not even half way. On hard, he's beaten Simon twice, Pospisil, Cilic and Dimitrov. On clay, he's recorded impressive victories over Goffin, Dimitrov and Belluci, among others. He pushed Thiem to three sets, and Thiem has arguably been one of the best clay players this year. Point being, Zverev is on the up and in good form. I watched a couple of his matches in Munich and his shot making and serving was impressive. Edmund is going to be a good player, but Zverev is in better shape right now.

- Schwartzman to WIN - $2.70 - HALF STAKE

One of the biggest principles in tennis handicapping is to ride the form. Schwartzman is a classic example of this. After beating Tomic, Dzumhur and Bagnis, you would've thought, 'surely he won't beat Delbonis'. Wrong. After that, you would've thought, 'SURELY he won't beat Dimitrov'. He didn't just beat Dimitrov; he spanked him. He's coming up against Verdasco - surely Verdasco won't lose to Schwartzman?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATP GENEVA
    - Delbonis -4.5 games - $1.72 - TWO STAKES

A classic example of value. Tipsarevic has played three matches (and lost two of them) since May of last year, and even back then he was fairly average on clay. He also has a negative w/l ratio against left handers. Delbonis has been impressive this year on clay, and has a w/l percentage of 59% on the surface in his career. I'm not going to back him against anyone in the top 30 or so, but Delbonis should be putting away Janko fairly easily.

WTA STRASBOURG
    - Sara Errani to WIN - $2.10 - ONE STAKE

Another bit of value. Puig's record has a similar pattern: beat two or three fairly easy players, come up against someone good, and then lose. Rinse and repeat. She's not amazing against GOOD clay players on clay.
    Errani has lost her last three on the red stuff, but before that, won 15 of her last 17. She has the pedigree, and knows how to play on the surface. I'm backing her to turn her form around ahead of the French.

WTA NUREMBURG
    - Yulin Putinseva -4.5 games - $2.1 - ONE STAKE
    - Vogt +4.5 games - $2 - ONE STAKE
    - Annika Beck - $1.90 - ONE STAKE
    - Larsson to WIN - $1.90 - HALF STAKE

Fridman is a young player, and she's only played three WTA matches on the surface. Putinseva is a solid clay player. If you take away her last two matches, she's won 17 of her last 23 on clay. She had a great start to the year in Charleston and Rabat, and would be disappointed if she didn't also make it through this one against a green qualifier. Value

Riding the form again here. Vogt has won her last two in qualifying (indicating she's comfortable with the surface). Hercog has lost her last four. Bit of a feeling play, but that's gambling, and 4 and a half is value.

The Pereira/Beck match puzzled me. Both of them have been in horrible form lately, yet both are priced at evens. Pereira probably has more experience on clay, but I'd say Beck is the better player. PLUS, the huge advantage is that Beck is playing AT HOME, so she'll have the support of the crowd. $1.90 is a nice price.

MEGA MULTI (basically just all the games that I didn't like the lines for)
    - McHale x Stephens x Stosur x Cervantes x Carreno-Busta - $2.50 - HALF STAKE

Cheers guys. Remember that it's all about long term - don't get too hung up over a bad night's results.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor
    gorwin068's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4609

Thank you very much for the thread and picks dude. I really like this kind of thread which includes analysis for the picks.
    GL dude.
    Last edited by gorwin068; 05-16-16 at 07:42 AM.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

good posts. It's hard to stick with the long write-ups but if tennis is
    your main thing, it can be done.
    welcome to SBR !

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

btw, I would suggest a single thread to track success instead of lone day threads.

Lightning

Cheers guys. I have done the write ups for a while (read, last six months or so) but on a facebook group. Saw this and figured why not post them here as well.

Also, how do you do threads? Just keep commenting on the same one? Or is there a specific button you have to push on the SBR site?

I also keep quite detailed records myself, so I can update that fairly easily.

Lightning

Happy so far tonight. Errani lost but shit happens. One of my two stake plays was Delbonis, and that got up. Annoyed I missed Coppejeans though - $2.50 was ridiculous for a player of his quality at Roland Garros.

Hangoverblack
    Hangoverblack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6735

Nicely done

aek
    aek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1817

@ Ligthning , thank you for your great write ups. Which facebook group do you also write this previews ?

Lightning

No worries guys! @AEK I do it for a paid group, but I don't think I would be allowed to post the name of it here.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor

@ Ligthning, Well done dude, are you gonna have picks for today?

Lightning

@Gorwin I will mate for sure - just writing them up as we speak

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Quote Originally Posted by gorwin068 View Post
    Thank you very much for the thread and picks dude. I really like this kind of thread which includes analysis for the picks.
    GL dude.
    Just noticed. This is hilarious. Some dude shows up with his picks and starts a thread. Great, right ? GL and kudos.

But the first post in this thread is by somebody with the exact same join date, praising the "the great writeups". And there is already talk of paid facebook groups. Looks like another tout scam. My guess is that if they do not keep this at ~55+% the thread will quietly go away, as they usually all do. Tail with caution peeps.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    But the first post in this thread is by somebody with the exact same join date, praising the "the great writeups". And there is already talk of paid facebook groups. Looks like another tout scam. My guess is that if they do not keep this at ~55+% the thread will quietly go away, as they usually all do. Tail with caution peeps.
    bingo
    smells like marketing
    but good luck tho

Lightning

@Frugal - do you always jump to assumptions mate? I'm guessing at one point, you stumbled across this site. Would I be correct in assuming you might have then started a thread? Wow - hold on, I guess you're a scam as well :/

Obviously that's ridiculous. But so is your initial point. I said I write for a paid facebook group to establish legitimacy. I did not give the name of that group and made no effort to get the guy to contact me about it. Giving the name of the group would not work in my favour either - because I'm pretty sure the paying members wouldn't be happy to see the picks over the web. Pretty sure they won't find this forum though, so I thought I'd post them here as well to generate discussion.

I aim to make profit, as we all do. Without blowing my trumpet, I'm okay at it. I'm most likely going to end with a loss tonight, but it's about long term, not short term. Disappointing to see what looks like a senior member jumping to conclusions without the slightest idea about who I am or what I do.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor

No matter you believe it or not. I definitely don't know this dude "Lightning" at all. I have been browsing this forum for tennis picks for quite a while already. But I just didn't create an account previously yet, and I have seen this new thread which I feel great and interested yesterday, so I started to create an account and leave a good feedback.

Anyway just relax and see if this dude can bring us good stuff. If that would be a scam, we will know it somehow soon.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    Just noticed. This is hilarious. Some dude shows up with his picks and starts a thread. Great, right ? GL and kudos.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

This is an internet anonymous board. You are only as good as your record. But I do not believe in coincidences. Seen that too many times. Anyway, who cares. GL with your thread, Lightning, assuming you will actually bother with it.