kdawgy
    kdawgy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

Chennai Open Matchups

Matchups, commentary and plays for the 2nd round.

Wawrinka vs. Coric
    Wawrinka did not finish the year strong last year. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out fresh in 2015 as he did in 2014. Either way, Coric is a live dog here, I like him at 3.00 and will look at the spread/total as well once my book has it up.

Ymer vs Muller
    Spread looks about right here. Ymer is an interesting youngster, and Muller really had a tough time putting away Roger-Vasselin, but I'm not sure if there's enough value in Ymer to take him SU even at 3.75. Gun to my head, the dog would be my pick.

Goffin vs Berankis
    Spread looks spot on to me. If Goffin comes out fresh and prepared he should take care of business in straight sets. But I wouldn't be excited to lay that much juice in his first match of the year coming off a bye in the first round. NO PLAY

Vesely vs Haider-Maurer
    Before the first round I would have put these players at a pick'em. However, Vesely made quick work of a qualifier in the first round while Maurer fought his way to a W via a retirement by Granollers. Haider-Maurer ML for a small play and will look at the spread as well.

Lu vs Carreno Busta
    Both players looked sharp in the first round. Should be a good match. On clay I would give the edge/value to Busta but on hard I've got to think Lu takes care of business. Again, don't have lines, but looking to take Lu on the Game Line.

Gojowzyk vs Bautista Agut
    I like the matchup for Gojowczyk here as he plays well on hard court and Bautista Agut is a master on clay. That said, it will be a small play for me as Gojowczyk did not have much success vs players in the top 50 last season.

Garcia-Lopez vs Ito
    This is my favorite pick of the round. Garcie-Lopez tends to underperform on hard courts and Ito excels on them. The line also gives me a lot of confidence that this will be a close match. ITO ML @ 2.37.

Bedene vs Lopez
    This one looks about right to me as well. I don't see any reason Lopez doesn't take care of business, but as with several other players he is coming of a bye, early in the season, so I wouldn't look to try to do much with a spread or total bet. NO PLAY.
    Last edited by kdawgy; 01-06-15 at 07:41 PM.

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop
    JohnnyRudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4095

GGL = over machine

kdawgy

Important note before someone starts bashings: odds listed are European style. I messed one up by putting + in front of it earlier, hope that didn't confuse anyone.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice write-ups.

Vesely is a player to watch, he's going to be on the rise even more this year. Got that lefty swagger and a solid serve that translates to helping him on all-surfaces. Couple years ago I thought Maurer was going to be something solid at the ATP level, but he looks about capped at his talent level. Can dominate Challengers, but is not steady enough to consistently do work at the ATP level.

SirtySree
    SirtySree's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Loved the matchup for Ymer against Sijsling but he will struggle against Muller. He has struggled with big servers lately and tends to lose patience against them and his serve isn't good enough to just exchange serves throughout a match. Hoping he proves me wrong but that has been the trend for him.

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

WaWa is the defending champ.The crowd loves him here, becareful wagering against him.

kdawgy

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    WaWa is the defending champ.The crowd loves him here, becareful wagering against him.
    Very true, he has actually won it twice in the last 5 years. My angle is more about Coric being a little undervalued, his ranking at 95 doesn't do him much justice IMHO.

My book still does not have a game line for this match, but I could see this one being close and Stan losing a set. Just depends what Wawrinka shows up.

Marillion
    Marillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3006

I wouldn't call Agut a master on clay. He has decent results on both clay and hard but IMO his game suits hard more.
    But Gojo seems in a good form and maybe it was worth to take him at the opening lines. I'm staying away.

Chaz22
    Chaz22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17185

I would pick the following

Coric ML (Coric is eager to play some high-level tennis, while Wawa has lost his motivation)

Ymer ML (Pure 50/50 play, where Ymer will have his chances as Muller has almost no defence)

Goffin -4 (Well, lithuanian garbage has no chance really here. Almost lost it to unknown Vanni yesterday.)

Lu -3.5 (Lu looked solid against local hope, and Busta is not there yet on hard courts, although he has some improvement on these courts)

P.Gojo +3.5
    (I remember Gojo was successful last year about this time as well, so this might be just his time. Agut probably wins here, but it will be tough to cover this. Over can also be a reasonable bet here)

kenz
    kenz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4350

Quote Originally Posted by SirtySree View Post
    Loved the matchup for Ymer against Sijsling but he will struggle against Muller. He has struggled with big servers lately and tends to lose patience against them and his serve isn't good enough to just exchange serves throughout a match. Hoping he proves me wrong but that has been the trend for him.
    Hope you are right.

Waiting for Muller ML to close a parlay with Tomic ML, first parlay of 2015 after 9-10 single asian handicap plays that went something like 7-2. Thinking the same and watched Muller against Vasselin 2 days ago.

Muller serves huge, Ymer not a great returner nor server. Agree with patience angle too. Only issue is the mobility for Muller, he does not move great. Also hope he does not disturb his stomach from indian foods.

Also liked how Muller fought back against Vasselin in the 3rd set down a break to carry the game to tiebreak and won there

kdawgy

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    I wouldn't call Agut a master on clay. He has decent results on both clay and hard but IMO his game suits hard more.
    But Gojo seems in a good form and maybe it was worth to take him at the opening lines. I'm staying away.
    Ok, so I added a tiny bit of artistic flair. But Agut was better on clay last year with a 70% win percentage and a solid MOV of +2 games in ATP matches. He also had a win in Stuttgart and a finals appearance in Madrid.

But the point of the whole comment was I think Gojo has a chance.

kdawgy

For the record my final plays were

Coric +the games = Loss
    Haider-Maurer ML = Win
    Lu in straight sets = Pending
    Gojo to win a set and ML = Pending
    Ito ML (biggest play) = Pending

kdawgy

Did anyone get to watch the wawrinka v coric match?

Curious if wawa looked to be in stellar form? Or if coric just crumbled on the big stage?

kenz
    kenz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4350

Dont need to watch it. Coric is waaayyy overrated. If his opponent plays good, he cant do anything extra. He wins when his opponent makes a lot of ues

Honeybadger44
    Update your status
    Honeybadger44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Quote Originally Posted by kenz View Post
    Dont need to watch it. Coric is waaayyy overrated. If his opponent plays good, he cant do anything extra. He wins when his opponent makes a lot of ues
    Kid will be no.1 of world tennis one day. But, he indeed was overrated today. Not because of the books, but because of the public. Because people are betting him based on his potential and not what he can really do at this very moment. That is a mistake. He faced top 5 player today and the spread line should be somewhere around -4,5 or maybe even -5.

Chaz22
    Chaz22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17185

Quote Originally Posted by kdawgy View Post
    Did anyone get to watch the wawrinka v coric match?

Curious if wawa looked to be in stellar form? Or if coric just crumbled on the big stage?
    Wawa was in-form today, nothing that young Coric could do