kdawgy
    kdawgy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

Stats most helpful handicapping tennis

Hey guys, I've been working about 2 years on putting together something in the way of a tennis stats site to fill what I see as a major void in this sport, at least in the states.

The two things I've focused most on:

Is creating a power ranking system for tracking the strength of players at a given point in time, and thus the value of their wins/losses more accurately; as the current atp rankings are really built to protect top players, not show weekly and monthly momentum.

And then, obviously, there is a huge void out there for finding reputable stats analysis outside basic h2h matchups. So you can't easily see things like serve percentage for Nadal on grass. Or quality wins for Jack Sock over the last 6 months.

I've put in about 200 hours this month and I'm getting close to finishing up the first version of the site, but I'd love to hear any specific requests for statistics people would find especially beneficial. Of course I will continue to add things over time, but it's much easier to fine tune things before the site layout is finalized.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

cryptocap
    cryptocap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

kdawgy

Quote Originally Posted by cryptocap View Post
    I guess I'm not really sure why you posted a link to matchstat? It's a great site for looking up match history, and especially excels at challenger tour results history.

But it is sorely lacking in the statistical analysis department. In fact, they don't have anything other than the players supposed profit or loss trend. That doesn't tell you much.

sluggy1616
    Update your status
    sluggy1616's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4880

Quote Originally Posted by kdawgy View Post
    Hey guys, I've been working about 2 years on putting together something in the way of a tennis stats site to fill what I see as a major void in this sport, at least in the states.

The two things I've focused most on:

Is creating a power ranking system for tracking the strength of players at a given point in time, and thus the value of their wins/losses more accurately; as the current atp rankings are really built to protect top players, not show weekly and monthly momentum.

And then, obviously, there is a huge void out there for finding reputable stats analysis outside basic h2h matchups. So you can't easily see things like serve percentage for Nadal on grass. Or quality wins for Jack Sock over the last 6 months.

I've put in about 200 hours this month and I'm getting close to finishing up the first version of the site, but I'd love to hear any specific requests for statistics people would find especially beneficial. Of course I will continue to add things over time, but it's much easier to fine tune things before the site layout is finalized.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    I can tell you what I value but I'd have to kill yu. I'm building my own database scrapping a few different sites and such(early stages but I know what I want). A not so big secret that I am employing is a more granular ranking of court speed by surface. All hard courts on tour do not play the same.

cryptocap

click the little box next to the scores....it tells u every stat within the match dummy

kdawgy

Wow, not a very friendly start to this thread. A death threat and name calling. LOL.

Crypto, matchstat gives you the static statistics for a SINGLE match. Literally copied from the ATP website verbatim.

It does NOT give you any statistics on player trends, matchups, etc. Such as the % of the time a player holds serve against another player, how well they play at a particular tournament or in a particular region, etc, etc, etc.

cryptocap

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o...im sorry sir...i just thought u didnt click the box

kdawgy

No worries man. I know people get a little chippy around here and it rubs off at times.

I'd still love to hear any input on what statistical categories you find most important when evaluating players.

ManeOnFire
    ManeOnFire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Information on current court speeds would be nice, especially WTA. There's this nice site (yours?) but it contains last year's data and is lacking for WTA. If I may ask what is your ROI?

kdawgy

That's an interesting point, but how would you quantify court speed? Is there a rating system out there somewhere? Or some other source of the information. I'd love to load it into the database and track it, but I don't have the ability to visit every court on the tour. LOL. Also, wouldn't relative humidity be a major factor as well. The same surface will play a lot differently on a very humid day vs a very dry day.

And no, I'm not sure what site you're referring to, but it isn't mine (still in beta testing). And It takes a LOT of time to process the statistics on a daily basis so it isn't surprising at all if there are some projects out there that never got completed or aren't updated.