EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

BTW ... Congratulations FERRER!

First Grand Slam Final.

Talk about someone who deserves it. Now make the Final interesting!

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

On one hand I'm so happy for the guy...for finally making it to the finals. But on the other, its painful to know that all that effort and patience to finally get here, will result in a loss for sure. Had he faced any other player in this spot, he would have a shot, but it just so happens that the ONE player he simply cannot beat is waiting for him at the finish line lol.

EaglesPhan36

I wouldn't totally discount him. Rafa will have some fatigue. The last two times they played, Ferrer took his 1st sets off Rafa and the weather Sunday is going to be cooler and damp. I think it will be competitive. If he was going to play in his 1st Slam Final, couldn't ask for a better set-up with your opponent being a little worn down. Unlikely to win, but I think it's not going to be an ass blasting.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

I still see a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 kind of scoreline here. At least it will be entertaining.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i hope ferrer wins a set, big fan of his

i think he might cover the +7 but not going to bet it

actually hope he wins somehow, although i know that he only has a 7% chance or something

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

can Ferrer take a set off Rafa?

EaglesPhan36

Absolutely IMO. If they can play this on Sunday - rain forecast - the conditions will be cold and damp if this is played on Sunday and that should allow Ferrer to be competitive. Weather. Somewhat fatigued Rafa. Couldn't ask for more. Now if it's delayed till Monday when the weather is expected to be a bit warmer and dry, then all bets off on this as I think the conditions will favor Rafa and he plays with more confidence when the condition favor him.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Yeah I agree that Ferrer can def. compete and maybe even take a set off Nadal because of the reasons you mentioned...but at the end of the day, I can't imagine Nadal losing a best of 5 vs him. This is just a nightmare match-up from hell for Ferrer. And I don't think fatigue or whether conditions can slow down Nadal to such a point where Ferrer could actually beat him.

I think this could be a very comfortable win for Nadal in straights, or a long five-setter with a 10-8 ending, but fully expect a Nadal victory.

But oh well, atleast Ferrer won't go down as one of the great players to never make a Slam final. Deserves every bit of it and couldn't be happier for him. And hopefully we get an exciting final with no delays b/s.

steviec27
    steviec27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15113

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post
    On one hand I'm so happy for the guy...for finally making it to the finals. But on the other, its painful to know that all that effort and patience to finally get here, will result in a loss for sure. Had he faced any other player in this spot, he would have a shot, but it just so happens that the ONE player he simply cannot beat is waiting for him at the finish line lol.
    This!

Such a shame he goes into the final knowing Nadal owns him.
    Nadal is 16-1 against Ferrer on clay, with Ferrer's only win coming in their first ever meeting back in 2004.
    Would be very surprised if this is overly competitive, predicting a 3-0 win. Something like 6-3, 6-4, 6-2

sbavi
    Update your status
    sbavi's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    although i know that he only has a 7% chance or something
    7% chance of winning against Rafa is too high for Ferrer in a Best of 5 sets match and that too the French open Final.

I would give him less than 1% chance of winning here.His face was literally glowing after he won the semis against Tsonga.I was feeling really happy for him.

I'm a die hard Rafa fan but would not be too unhappy if Ferrer manages to do the impossible.He deserves a slam win.

EaglesPhan36

Realistic chance this could stretch into Monday. Forecast tomorrow is calling for light rain most of the day. I honestly think Rafa would welcome the delay for more ideal conditions and the extra rest. That also will negate any sort of slight advantage Ferrer would have had playing on Sunday IMO.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Nadal will definitely be fatigued and Ferrer should at least win a set here

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by tevari View Post
    I still see a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 kind of scoreline here. At least it will be entertaining.
    Why would you say it'll be entertaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post

But oh well, atleast Ferrer won't go down as one of the great players to never make a Slam final.
    The list that gets more tossed about is great players who never won a slam.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Realistic chance this could stretch into Monday. Forecast tomorrow is calling for light rain most of the day. I honestly think Rafa would welcome the delay for more ideal conditions and the extra rest.

I don't think there's any question about it. Rafa would prefer another day off.
    Last edited by yisman; 06-09-13 at 12:05 AM.

EaglesPhan36

I took Ferrer to win the 1st set. Hoping they get that one in on Sunday. Looks like a late window to play a little. It would be stupid realistically to start, but tennis organizers have never been expected to be smart. Think if they do squeeze some action in, the 1st set is Ferrer's best shot to get on the board. Weather conditions will play against Rafa and then Monday when it clears out and gets warm, he'll probably take over and roll.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

yep I already locked that in

STRAIGHT BET Jun 09 MU [14262] DAVID FERRER 1ST SET +325 (RAFAEL NADAL 1ST SET vrs DAVID FERRER 1ST SET)

EaglesPhan36

Hope it's nice and rainy with a three hours window to play in the evening.