MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Roddick moves up in rankings this week

Roddick moved from #42 to #40 in the rankings this week

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis...2691--ten.html

Want to know when your rankings system needs to be revamped? When a guy that hasn't played a competitive match in six months moves up in the rankings despite, ya know, not playing the game he's improving his number in. Deadspin has the report (thanks to a tweet from Tennis Stats) who noticed that Andy Roddick, the man that stepped away at the U.S. Open after losing to Juan Martin del Potro in the 2012 U.S. Open, moved from 42nd to 40th in the world despite spending most of his time this month at Pebble Beach playing golf, not tennis.
    How in the world did this happen? Well, it's complicated in the sense that the ATP rankings are insane and make no sense. Basically the rankings are a review of the past 52 weeks of play, so Roddick, who won twice before Wimbledon last season, is riding that success in the rankings despite, ya know, not playing anymore, and two guys ahead of him (Viktor Troicki and Nikolay Davydenko) dropped down due to poor play.
    It's so ridiculous that even Roddick retweeted the line from Tennis Stats, and I'm sure got a good chuckle out of it as he continued to not play competitive tennis, and with the drought that is mens' American tennis, maybe Roddick is still our best hope to break into the top-10 if people continue to fall early in tournaments.
    Keep hope alive, Andy!

Dmoneytx
    Dmoneytx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 566

Fing hilarious!!! That is insane Herd, LOL!!!

Sam_Hawkins
    Sam_Hawkins's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haha...I always think of what those big names from times when I was little do these days...
    Why did roddick retire? What happened to Safin for instance? I have a big gap in following tennis and I just miss some names in the game!

swissbank007
    swissbank007's Avatar Become A Pro!

its not that strange!!! even if a player says he is retiring they dont put him out of the ranking....so he will keep his point of last year...and will disappear of the ranking after the US open....at this time of the year last year he didnt win that much point and his ranking should start to go down after the Miami tournament and suddendly this summer where he won 2 tournaments(eastbourne and atlanta) last year...but until May-June we will stay for sure in the top 100 and even better!!!....about going up its only that the few players just ranked a bit above him and who have around the same amount of points lost they points of last year at this period and didnt do as well this year.

swissbank007

many people think that the 52 weeks ranking is not accurate but (i forgot where i read that) they did a comparation about the Race ranking and the "regular" ranking and it was almost the same!!!....of course the ranking doesnt show the form of the moment...even the Race ranking.

swissbank007

Thomas Muster(who is 45yo!!) was in the ranking last year!!!...cause in 2011 for fun he did a small come back to tennis and won 1 match on the sattelite level which allowed him to win 1 or 2 atp points and keep them all 2012 even if he didnt play