EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Aussies - What's With This Kokannakis Kid?

Never heard of him before he filled in at the Hopman Cup. Giving Stevie Johnson all he can handle in an epic third set in qualis today .... this kid got some legit game?

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

O this is the kid who filled in for Isner right, I watched like 2 seconds the kid has a big serve

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

I didn't think so. Thought he was just some local kid from Perth they paid to hit up with players.

He didn't look like he had anything near an ATP game when i watched the mixed doubles when he played for Germany v Serbia

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Greek transplant? Dont the aussie's have any native sons?

ProbablyNotSeth
    Just trying to earn some lunch money...
    ProbablyNotSeth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 94

Kid is pissing me off......or maybe Johnson is.

SJ was up 4-1 in the second set, and now there are looking like a Tsonga match

ProbablyNotSeth

Does anybody know who they would be playing tomorrow? Their stamina can't be the greatest in the heat

Edit: The winner will play Kenny de Schepper, who's ranked higher than both of them
    Last edited by ProbablyNotSeth; 01-08-13 at 08:25 PM.

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyNotSeth View Post
    Does anybody know who they would be playing tomorrow? Their stamina can't be the greatest in the heat
    Winner gets De Schepper who got through 2-0, probably really enjoying this scoreline

ProbablyNotSeth

Quote Originally Posted by JNic View Post
    Winner gets De Schepper who got through 2-0, probably really enjoying this scoreline
    You posted just as I looked at the draw! haha

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Better get that line quick or stay up for it.EVERYONE is going to be De Schepper

EaglesPhan36

Would be real disappointing for Johnson to lose this. I really liked what I saw from him last year during the end of the season - especially at the US Open. Thought he had a chance to be a solid pro this year if he could handle the adjustment to full time play. Actually liked his overall game more than Sock.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyNotSeth View Post

Edit: The winner will play Kenny de Schepper, who's ranked higher than both of them
    It's not hot in either Melbourne or Sydney today.

EaglesPhan36

Yeah I wouldn't line up just yet to fade the winner of this one. #1, look at what time the match is tomorrow before anything else. If they get a match later in the session, they'll have some time to rest. It's not like either guy had a heavy schedule before this.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Would be real disappointing for Johnson to lose this. I really liked what I saw from him last year during the end of the season - especially at the US Open. Thought he had a chance to be a solid pro this year if he could handle the adjustment to full time play. Actually liked his overall game more than Sock.
    Speaking of Sock. He is making tough work of his match. The Anderson/Lopez match started during the 5th game of the second set, and had finished before the 10th game was over!

In fact he just lost the 2nd set tiebreak as I typed that. Hope he comes back in the 3rd.

EaglesPhan36

Sock to me is still a little too serve dependent. I think Johnson has a lot more variety in his game which could make him tougher on all surfaces. I still think Sock will be good, but he needs to develop some more or he's going to fall right into the Querrey-Isner Boom or Bust type with the serve being the major weapon.

ProbablyNotSeth

Breakkkkkk!

EaglesPhan36

Sock just quit.

EaglesPhan36

Good war and win for Johnson. Be interesting to see what he has left tomorrow and if this kid becomes anything in a couple years or is just a flash in the pain who got his 15 minutes this week.

Optional

This kid is currently a set up in his semi-final of the boys tournament.

Trying to get to final to play another Aussie lad.

Funny how so many young Aussie players have these European sounding names these days. It's a mixed blessing though I think.

Players like Pat Rafter, Pat Cash, Leighton Hewitt and a bunch of others before them were "real traditional Aussies with traditional Aussie values".

Dokic and Tomic show what lack of affinity for their country brings... no respect for Davis Cup or playing for their country. And little care about those traditional Aussie values, particularly good sportsmanship.

I hope those two are the exception though.