SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

A -500 tennis play with value.....

Caroline Wozniacki is -500 versus Sorana Cirstea.

Wozniacki has the advantage in just about every department, but on the Grand Slam level has not yet really dominated being 19 or so and I really think this is her year to push into a semis.

I honestly think she'll blast Cirstea off the court, or else I wouldn't even post this. Good luck either way.

daggerkobe
    UCONN PK MICH PK PROVIDENCE +2
    daggerkobe's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have Wozniacki making the semis, so I believe in this pick - but you couldn't make me pay that price with your money Lou. Matches involving Russians and women should never be played for that price.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Lou you never learn do you?

fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

You don't have to play big favorites to win in tennis betting. Look at LT Profits, he always takes dogs and he's up nicely.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Where is the value in a -500 bet? Are you fukking kidding me!

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    When the line should actually be -800, there's value.

The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Hope you win, Lou.

sofos
    sofos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

There is nothing wrong with betting a -500 line. As long as the true line is -600 or better.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Most books limit you to $500 tennis bets. There is no value risking $500 to win $100.

cuteboy86hi
    cuteboy86hi's Avatar Become A Pro!

going big on wozniacki
    can't see her loosing this one

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Pavy,

I've laid -2000 when I thought it should be -4000. Don't shrug away from big MLs when there's value. I don't know if this is one of those cases, but you can't discard these plays blindly.

EaglesPhan36

All I know is one miss on a line like this and your value kills your cash flow for two months. I would use this in a parlay, but not a straight play. It's not like this is Nadal vs. a kid in a wheel chair at -8000 where you could say it's a lock.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Pavy,

I've laid -2000 when I thought it should be -4000. Don't shrug away from big MLs when there's value. I don't know if this is one of those cases, but you can't discard these plays blindly.
    When MushyLou sees value I see a disaster waiting to happen. Guy lost all his bankroll on a -900 tennis bet several times.

EaglesPhan36

Hey Lou you put any money on Ivanovic since last year's meltdown? Just curious if she's won you back yet.

daggerkobe

Im just trying to encourage him to post his tennis plays again. Its like waiting to see a train wreck and not being dissapointed.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

When MushyLou sees value I see a disaster waiting to happen. Guy lost all his bankroll on a -900 tennis bet several times.
    A better approach might be to look at his individual picks, and say why you disagree with an individual play before it goes. Hindsight is 20/20

I've lost an occasional big ML bet, but it never set me back.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Hey Lou you put any money on Ivanovic since last year's meltdown? Just curious if she's won you back yet.
    Yes, but I'll never look at her the same again.

Have some future action on her though, but more on Jankovic.

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board
    RogueScholar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

A warning to all about Wozniacki. This has been translated from the original Dutch:

Caroline Wozniacki, tennis player, played in Wednesday to the third round of French Open with a sure victory in two sets against American Craybas, even though she is plagued by two depressed ribs. "I could feel them when I had to serve - but when I just stood and hit, it was actually quite good. So long as I kept the ball in motion, so I felt good running," says the Dane to TV 2 Sport.

She further says that she will rest the remaining of the day and receive treatment for her injury, what extent she still does not quite have the oversight.

"I know it actually not. I take it one day at a time, so I hope that it will be better, when I get some
    good treatment," said Wozniacki, who nevertheless felt that she, despite her injury hit the ball well and kept the pressure against Jill Craybas.
    Forgive the rough translation. Also I'd like to note that she is absolutely famous for whining about injuries and then still coming out the next day and playing winning tennis. I do favor Wozniacki in spite of this injury news, but not at this price. I'm downgrading this from a play to a lean in my "book."

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I love Cirstea. She's a real cutie but Wozniacki will probably win in straights.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

My thoughts exactly.

Netprofit
    Netprofit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 302

Caroline Wozniacki is -500 versus Sorana Cirstea is a bad play in my opinion, for these reasons:

1. Wozniacki lost first set to Dushevina, a so-so Russian player in the first round and barely recovers with a 7-5 second set before winning;

2. Cirstea is in good form, beating Cornet easily in the second round and was good before Roland Garros,

3. This is Roland Garros where the likelihood of non clay-court top players (for whom Wozniacki) losing in upsets is the highest among the 4 Slams;

-500 might win but i think it is not value above -300 here, instead i will play Cirstea for a juicy +425

The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

550 @ THEGREEK current

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Netprofit View Post
    -500 might win but i think it is not value above -300 here, instead i will play Cirstea for a juicy +425
    I truly mean this with all due respect, sir, but if you think Caroline Wozniacki should be -300 against Sorana Cirstea then I'm afraid we aren't talking about the same players.

SBR Lou

Appreciate the info, but I don't care if she lost a rib, she shouldn't be just -500 against Cirstea. Now if this was semis, OK, Wozniacki is young and has shown some signs of mental collapse, but the pressure isn't on yet and the Great Dane will blast her off the court with precision.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScholar View Post
    A warning to all about Wozniacki. This has been translated from the original Dutch:

Forgive the rough translation. Also I'd like to note that she is absolutely famous for whining about injuries and then still coming out the next day and playing winning tennis. I do favor Wozniacki in spite of this injury news, but not at this price. I'm downgrading this from a play to a lean in my "book."

Netprofit
    Netprofit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 302

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLou View Post
    I truly mean this with all due respect, sir, but if you think Caroline Wozniacki should be -300 against Sorana Cirstea then I'm afraid we aren't talking about the same players.
    I love Wozniacki as a talented young player with potential to be future top 3 or at least top 5. I think she can make it at big time if she improves on here killer instinct, that subtle aspect of a sports champion.

I mention -300 because i think this match might be more closely contested. CrazyLou, would you like to give me -6.5 games?

valdosta
    valdosta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

Those who don't learn from there mistakes are doomed to repeat them. Congrats to those who backed Cirstea.

daggerkobe

Omfg...... Hollywood couldnt write a better script than this. If they did, they'd call it Crash II.

EaglesPhan36

Damn Lou jinxed my futures pick to with this one. Ouch.

SBR Lou

Wozzi was up 4-0 and serving at 40-15 before totally collapsing, guess she may have been injured as earlier reports indicated.

Congrats.

daggerkobe

Injury excuse after saying "it didnt matter if she lost a rib."

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

EaglesPhan36

This just shows you again ... women's tennis, big favorites, DON'T DO IT. I can see laying the wood on Nadal at the French if you're so inclined, but women's tennis is very very unpredictable especially with a young player like Wozniacki.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    This just shows you again ... women's tennis, big favorites, DON'T DO IT. I can see laying the wood on Nadal at the French if you're so inclined, but women's tennis is very very unpredictable especially with a young player like Wozniacki.
    Okay, but that doesn't mean the fair value of the line wasn't -800.

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLou View Post
    Okay, but that doesn't mean the fair value of the line wasn't -800.
    -800?

How did you determine this? Please show your steps.

12 Last