Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mind over matter?

I couldn't help thinking this as I watched the Williams sisters perform today.

Without the influence of Venus Williams, of natural athletic build, Serena would be triple her present size and weight. Go to South Central LA and watch these same mamas try to cross the street in a race against the traffic light.

Serena is as close to a miracle in sports as you will find. There simply are no athletes in female top sports, that require any foot speed, with that body type.

The secret is in her mind. She's a fierce competitor, and while growing up always had Venus to compete with. It all came natural to Venus. Serena never knew she wasn't supposed to keep up.

You go girl!

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well that's certainly a profound way of looking into it, I think Serena's biggest upside though is not her athleticism or perseverance, but her booming serve. The rest I agree with though, she's certainly a fierce competitor, mentally and perhaps spiritually sound, but there's no escaping the fact that without her serve she wouldn't crack the top 100.