alta
    alta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10359

Common theme to the so called "fixed" or "know the winner" pre match

I noticed the following occurrences.
    In the month of July there have been three singles matches that had the so called fix or the winner is a given noted pre match. All three singles matches involved players who were teamed up as doubles partners in the same tournament. There have been threads and discussion leading up to all 3 matches, but the doubles partnerships had not been mentioned pre match.
    In Atlanta, J. Sock(the pick) a slight underdog to S. Johnson won in 2 set tiebreakers.
    In LA, Mayer(the pick) pitched a two set shutout over Cipolla.
    In Baku, Bratchikova(the pick) a slight underdog took the opening set easy but stumbled and lost in 3 sets to Panova.
    Or was Panova the "real" intended winner?
    In fact Bratchikova/Panova will play doubles match, Friday.
    What do we know....open for discussion...feedback
    Last edited by alta; 07-26-12 at 08:33 PM.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck if you think you can decipher a supposed fix between doubles partners. My honest opinion is that I don't think the majority of doubles players playing one on one vs. each other in a given tournament have pre-arranged endings. Certainly there are some cases - well documented ones between Benneteau & Llodra that I can remember where perhaps the match was played out to help one guy defend points or earn enough to earn a seed in an upcoming Grand Slam. Mostly though, I think people look too deep for angles some times.

Sock-Johnson was a couple points here or there in a tie break from going Johnson's way and Johnson had to work hard if I remember in some service games to hold ... but the thing is he held, he didn't just roll over. I've said it before, you can tell me a match is fixed - but if they let the sets go to tie breaks, they are flirting with disaster if there are some shenanigans. So if I see tie break sets in supposed fixes, especially ones that are pretty competitive ... 7-5 in both breakers in that one, you're kidding yourself if you think - especially two young players - can map it out that close without having a huge chance to fukk up the plan.