EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is 'Merica No-Showing @ The Olympics?

God damn it.

I don't know how I missed this until now, but how in the F-U-C-K did Donald Young make the mother f-ucking Olympic squad?

http://www.10sballs.com/2012/06/26/u...s-tennis-team/

Why not Jack Sock? Sam Querrey? For ****'s sake, how about Brian Baker?!?! But Donald Young?

God damn it. I think I'm going to flip my head back and become Canadian for that week.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

We don't even qualify for Olympic soccer and than we have donald young in it for tennis.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

This really shows the state of American tennis. Lets just focus on winning water ballet or some other event. Donald young may defeat Nadal or Roger or Murray and take a medal but I kind of doubt it

EaglesPhan36

I am taking up a kidnapping collection to keep Donald overseas for life. Best thing here is this idiot is so bad that he has to go back to making qualis again for almost everything next year. Complete waste of space. Read about his idiot parents and you might actually appreciate the asshole that is Richard Williams.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I know his parents never allowed him to have professional coaching and wanted to run everything themselves. I can remember when people were calling him the "future of american tennis". What a train wreck. How in gods name is he in the Olympics, I dont care if Fish was saying he didnt want to play, I would have been begging to get him on the team. Baker and Querrey must be laughing at this.

Didnt he have some tantrum against the usta last year and tell them to f**k off on twitter?
    Last edited by gregm; 07-16-12 at 09:42 PM.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I'd much rather see Querrey out there than Young.

But really, American men's tennis is just dead. After Roddick and Blake's primes, we've had basically nothing from American men's tennis aside from a flash from Mardy Fish and an even briefer flash from Querrey.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

yisman, Isner is a higher ranking then Querrey ever was... so not sure about "even brighter flash"

yisman

Isner's been consistently good. I never said "even brighter flash".

BrianLaverty

misread it... thought you said brighter, instead of briefer.

There's a few young kids now who could really make a difference... Jack Sock & Ryan Harrison both show signs at times that they could be something special. Most people forget Ryan Harrison is only 20 years old... And Querrey still has alot of time left to go up the rankings again- Still only 24, and it won't surprise me to see him in the top 20 this time next year.

yisman

sure ryan harrison could become something, but donald young was supposed to be a good player. He sure looked like something as a teenager.

Isner is the best now, and he's not exactly something I'd hang my hat on because he's not a guy that's going to be beating Murray, Nadal, or Djokovic much.

Plus, he won't be getting better

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

The sad thing is that he has to miss the Washington DC tournament.. which was his breakout tourney last year and where he got semifinals. Talk about his ranking being fukked

BrianLaverty

I don't care who the media was hyping at any time, from a pure tennis perspective, Harrison has loads more talent then Young ever has had. The tools are there for Harrison, its just whether or not he puts his 100% into it, and he finds a way to overcome the mental problems he has right now.

Young has had problems from day 1... whether it be his parents, USTA, and his general shitty attitude.

At the age of 20, Ryan Harrison is #48 right now.... At the same age, Donald Young was #159.

revnecro1273
    revnecro1273's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13172

why not fish or querrey? thought the olympic selections were based on rankings? those 2 not want to participate or are hurt again?

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by revnecro1273 View Post
    why not fish or querrey? thought the olympic selections were based on rankings? those 2 not want to participate or are hurt again?

Fish chose not to participate if I understand correctly, but he is just coming back from some health issues... so I get why he'd rather not go.

Olympic selections are based off a country's top-ranked players. Querrey was ranked below Young when the teams were selected. Young snuck into the Top 50 after some good performances at some of the hard-court tourneys last summer and fall. He didn't have to defend many points in the early part of the year, so his ranking never dropped much despite all the losses.

Querrey is on the rise after a nice grass-court season, but his ranking was in the 60s or 70s when the deadline for Olympic selection came. Today, Querrey is ranked above Young, but unfortunately his grass-court points couldn't help him qualify for the Olympics.

EaglesPhan36

Olympics count as tournament points too, so rankings can be effected by who does what.

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

EP, you said what I have been thinking.Fukking act of god that bastard made it.I would rather take Kevin paycheck, at least he would try and have old asian veteran savvy..

EaglesPhan36

I just think he should have shown some class and not accepted the invite. Frankly I am surprised there wasn't a backdoor deal brokered to keep him off the team. All I know is whomever he draws should be sending a check straight to the USOC for a nice potential win.

OGUCCI-SBR
    Bizness
    OGUCCI-SBR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 557

Is he THAT bad ?

revnecro1273
    revnecro1273's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13172

Quote Originally Posted by OGUCCI-SBR View Post
    Is he THAT bad ?

2-17 on the season and has lost 13 straight

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

there are plenty of young americans who could be beast tennis players
    but the perception is that it's a wussy sport or not cool so they don't get into it
    as much as they used to.