JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

Stakhovsky's chances against Gasquet +315

Ok Gasquet is a fan favorite with the best backhand to watch in the game. Stak opened at +290 and the line is rising.
    Gasquet is the guy that everyone expects is going to make huge noise but he choked against Almagro and he choked against Fish. Well he didn't choke against Fish but both were holding serve comfortably and he folded at 5-5 each set.
    Gasquet loves to counter punch, can serve big, stay strong in rallies, can swarm the net with the best of them; his game is complete.
    Stakhovsky has a lanky build, can serve huge, hit a very good forehand, has a weak one hander on the backhand side, but is one of the best volleyers in the game.

Now what I'm looking at is we have an attacker against a counter puncher, and while Gasquet comes up with those pretty passing shots, his return is WEAK - If you have watched Gasquet you know he likes to poke at the return, in a slice grip, and just float it back deep. If you watched another Ukrainian last week, Dolgopolov (a very sick Dolgo) play Gasquet all he did was serve out wide approach and hit an easy volley to the open court and Gasquet did not adjust. Stakhovsky was showing me some good form in Winston-Salem before he choked to Benneteau and nobody can argue that this line is good for Gasquet.

Would you back Stakhovsky here, go against the intangibles of Gasquet? Just looking simply at tennis,Stakhovsky matches up perfectly with Gasquet.
    Sure Gasquet is a top notch counter puncher but when he is put on the run he often plays the floating slice, a net rushers dream and Stakhovsky is one of the best volleyers in the game.

Give me thoughts, I haven't played anything yet and I want to discuss

JNic

Stakhovsky also is the guy that saved 3 match points against Harrison in a 5th set tiebreaker in front of a packed grandstand with a chanting American crowd. I like Stak's heart

JNic

The thing is that Stak won New Haven last year before his 3rd round run. And after that huge choke to Benneteau he should be really low on confidence.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

I like Gasquet at -350.

MoYaL
    How bad do you want success
    MoYaL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Gasquet is the favourite for this one but seems like stakhovsky can give him a fight aspecially after the good tournament from last week.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Gasquet was on a real run of form for a while though under his new coach, better attitude, better consistency. The loss to Almagro in Canada was awful though, he managed to lose a set that should have been 6/0, and of course folded in the 2nd. Losing to Fish Cincy wasn't impressive in the manner it unfolded of course, broken 1 game from tiebreak in both, but really quick courts there don't overly suit him.

Not sure if he's regressing, or just a temporary hiccup. He doesn't have the best of records on N American Decoturf.

iMxth3xbossx5000
    iMxth3xbossx5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

I had a really nice thread I was writing up on this match yesterday until my stupid fuckin computer froze on me, and I opted against starting from scratch all over again. My $$ is on Gasquet though. Stahkovsky loses in 3 if you ask me.

iMxth3xbossx5000
    iMxth3xbossx5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

I had Gasquet at -400 at my book for the opening line

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stakhovsky in 2010, maybe 20% chance. Stakhovsky in 2011, 5%. Gasquet would have to no show to let Stak have a shot. He's far more consistent on this surface. Stakhovsky's fitness is also a major concern in my book. I don't think his slight frame is built for best of 5 matches. Stak probably takes a set because Gasquet still flakes off for a set, but I like Gasquet here ... parlay purposes of course only.
    Points Awarded:

tevari gave EaglesPhan36 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

EP backing Dickey Gasgay? Forum first!

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

But in all seriousness, I'd be surprised if Staks won.

JNic

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Stakhovsky in 2010, maybe 20% chance. Stakhovsky in 2011, 5%. Gasquet would have to no show to let Stak have a shot. He's far more consistent on this surface. Stakhovsky's fitness is also a major concern in my book. I don't think his slight frame is built for best of 5 matches. Stak probably takes a set because Gasquet still flakes off for a set, but I like Gasquet here ... parlay purposes of course only.
    Yea I agree with this. I'm not gonna back Stak here, he just isn't the same player as last year...

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

gasquet fkn easy!