OneLossParlayGuy
    OneLossParlayGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1464

Cashing a check from an offshore book at a check cashing facility

Anyone here withdraw via Fed Ex check, and cash the checks at a local check cashing place? I know you can just deposit the check into the bank...but I live in a small town, and have many family friends and such that work at our bank. I really dont want to be deposit these random checks there in case I have to answer any questions and things like that (it would just be kind of awkward)... I really don't mind paying the 3% or whatever it is to cash these at the check cashing place..Im just wondering if they take them, and what peoples opinions are on here that have done it.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Deposit it at an ATM. I doubt if a check cashing joint will do it.

chunnnn2010
    chunnnn2010's Avatar Become A Pro!

those checks are bank check. have to be done with the bank.

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Some check cashing joints would take it

ZBOIZ

But I usually take it to my bank. It be from a Canadian bank

ZBOIZ

But you'll get it cashed

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OneLossParlayGuy View Post
    Anyone here withdraw via Fed Ex check, and cash the checks at a local check cashing place? I know you can just deposit the check into the bank...but I live in a small town, and have many family friends and such that work at our bank. I really dont want to be deposit these random checks there in case I have to answer any questions and things like that (it would just be kind of awkward)... I really don't mind paying the 3% or whatever it is to cash these at the check cashing place..Im just wondering if they take them, and what peoples opinions are on here that have done it.
    just make sure you are careful to get the checks for < $10K.. anything over $10K the bank is required to fill out some info for the IRS

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

not sure about american banks, but in canada atm deposits go to a central processing location so no one you know will see it , but i agree with you that paying three % is better than going through the hassle of dealing with some of those death stares the banks give you, like you are selling drugs to 9 year olds

spartangreen
    spartangreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

you can cash it a cash checking places, no problem at all, as long as they can verify the check. Most checks are cut by processors in the US anyways, so it should not be a problem.

John Dough
    John Dough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10136

Is there really no other bank within driving distance that you could use? Seems like a 2nd bank account would solve your problem.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds to me like at some point, somebody went overdrawn and still owes.

bluefish
    Update your status
    bluefish's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have done it without a problem.

OneLossParlayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Dough View Post
    Is there really no other bank within driving distance that you could use? Seems like a 2nd bank account would solve your problem.
    There is one about 15-20 minutes away, I have also thought of this.

OneLossParlayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Richkas View Post
    Sounds to me like at some point, somebody went overdrawn and still owes.

not the case at all. but funny nonetheless

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

I too am living in a small town and all the tellers know me and talk about all kinds of things when I come in. When I first started depositing the checks I got asked a couple of times, but I said they were from Ebay. I played it up, like how great Ebay is and if they ever sold anything and just stuff like that. However, that worked for smaller checks, when I was depositing a $3000 check once, a teller said wow, that must have been some Ebay sale. I laughed and said, "I wish, no this is from freelance code writing for some new website. I never knew I could be hired as a freelance code writer in a foreign country so easily. It is so exciting!" Anyway, now, I am never asked about them and as an added bonus, they will call the agent on the check and confirm funds and I will get the money available the next day. Gotta love small town service.

ringemup
    ringemup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3171

not a good idea they esp dont want to take a chance on checks like these because it takes time to clear its not like cashing a payroll check...ur bank should clear it pretty easily

John Dough
    John Dough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10136

There is one about 15-20 minutes away, I have also thought of this.
    I would go that route if you're comfortable with it.

do5000
    do5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 681

if its a small amount, it shouldnt be an issue.

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

anything over 1 k in canada has to be a certified check or bankdraft or you will have a hard time cashing them. I tried to cash one at moneymart who I have done 200k in checks last year alone for my business and they would not do it. So I took it to a cash money who i also have done lots of business with and they did it for me as a favour but stated if it bounces I gotta come down and pay the tab. Good Luck

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Deposit it at your bank and if a teller asks where the check is from tell them it's none of their business.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

I could not cash a canadian processor check in a state that borders Canada. I had to deposit it in my bank, not happy with that option, but no check cashing place would do it

jpowderly
    I have alzheimer's disease
    jpowderly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

check cashing will cash it up to a certain amount

king
    king's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Some check cashing place wont accept do to the fear of losing money.