PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

Is this a typical bet size for you at Betonline? Or out of the norm? If the first I think they should eat it and pay you. If the latter and you can’t prove other books had close odds at the time it’s fair to assume you were taking a shot and/or betting other side at another place to guarantee profit which books do not like

Pareto
    Pareto's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 52093

Which odds Betonline "intended to offer" is completely irrelevant.

What´s relevant here is whether or not the offered line was obviously bad. If it wasnt obviously a bad line then the bet should stand.

RemRoos
    RemRoos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 805

Quote Originally Posted by PharaohUB View Post
    Is this a typical bet size for you at Betonline? Or out of the norm? If the first I think they should eat it and pay you. If the latter and you can’t prove other books had close odds at the time it’s fair to assume you were taking a shot and/or betting other side at another place to guarantee profit which books do not like
    Yes this is a normal bet size, I always bet 1000 USD to risk or to win, and sometimes twice.

RemRoos

SBR, are you willing to ask BOL if they can at least pay out at their intended -350 odds?

Or is this case closed and I can forget about it?

RemRoos

SBR, any last words please?

SilverSpoon111
    Do me a favor please hold this L
    SilverSpoon111's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you think they would "cancel" this bet if he bet $20 on it? Doubt it.

jbayko
    jbayko's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1259

From -240 to -350 (70.59% vs. 77.78% implied win probabilities) during live play is not an obviously bad line and us having to accept that as truth basically means that books can free roll players whenever they feel like it.

Awesome.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: rustygsbr

bubba
    bubba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8458

Quote Originally Posted by jbayko View Post
    From -240 to -350 (70.59% vs. 77.78% implied win probabilities) during live play is not an obviously bad line and us having to accept that as truth basically means that books can free roll players whenever they feel like it.

Awesome.
    And this is only what the book says they intended. we have no way of knowing if thats true right now other than the honor system.

Btw- try placing a wager at betonline (on a fair line) and telling them it was a mistake and you would like it cancelled. let me know how that goes.

RemRoos

SBR, any reply from you too please?

Is this case closed and should I just eat this loss, or do you agree with me and many others on here that this is not an "obivous error" and is there a solution for this, for example settling at their "intended" odds?

Please at least give me a final statement. Thanks!

RemRoos

SBR?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9318

Quote Originally Posted by RemRoos View Post
    SBR?
    I don't think SBR Forum has anything more to add RemRoos.

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Forum View Post
    BetOnline said the first wager , $2,400 at -240 was cancelled within 3 minutes, as was the second wager of $1,000 placed one minute after that wager. The correct line was -350. It was an error. It happens sometimes with live wagers.

bubba

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Scary. No protection for the player. Sounds like book is judge, jury, etc

4nic8ing
    4nic8ing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Out of curiosity what constitutes a bad line?? Is there a metric used for this?

Implied win %
    X cents off

I am sure OP probably fudged his estimates of what the market had but there is no way any book in dispute can claim they meant to use price X and that ends it.

Wasn't there a time stamp of his wager where Pinny & CRIS ML prices can be viewed on Don Best to see true market number?

bubba

Quote Originally Posted by 4nic8ing View Post
    but there is no way any book in dispute can claim they meant to use price X and that ends it.
    Bingo. I honestly dont know what is right and wrong here. But book saying we meant to post different line should not end dispute. Did they really intend to post different line? Even if they did, was it actually a bad line? An obvious bad line? I dont know the answers. But its legitimate questions that are unanswered.

Canceling a wager should be q big freaking deal. Not saying it shouldn't ever be done, but there needs to be legit reason.

RemRoos

Okay, so the bottom line here is that any book can cancel any bet they want stating "we meant a different line". And there is no line drawn as to where "wrong odds" begin. That is pretty bad, so I should keep on checking my bets from now on until like 10 minutes after placement, to know that they are really standing.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2478

Okay, so the bottom line here is that any book can cancel any bet they want stating "we meant a different line". And there is no line drawn as to where "wrong odds" begin. That is pretty bad, so I should keep on checking my bets from now on until like 10 minutes after placement, to know that they are really standing.
    is there anything in their terms regarding errors/wrong odds? And how they deal with them?

I agree they acted poorly. But i think its out of laziness, not because of money.. they should have put a hold on the bet, until they found out what the price should be and then paid out.

but you cant force them to do anything.

jbayko

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    is there anything in their terms regarding errors/wrong odds? And how they deal with them?

I agree they acted poorly. But i think its out of laziness, not because of money.. they should have put a hold on the bet, until they found out what the price should be and then paid out.

They can't do that because some people would have made a different decision at -350 instead of -240 or whatever. And if you're saying that they should pay out the winners and void the losers, well, not only do I not agree with that but no book is ever going to do it so it's not worth discussing.

I think them calling that a bad line is very weak sauce, but there's really nothing we can do about it. It's up to them, unfortunately.

bubba

Has betonline cancelled wagers of yours in the past? Have you ever taken a shot at them? Relevant fair questions. I'm asking questions I feel like sbr should be asking.

cashin81
    hvob

They can't do that because some people would have made a different decision at -350 instead of -240 or whatever. And if you're saying that they should pay out the winners and void the losers, well, not only do I not agree with that but no book is ever going to do it so it's not worth discussing.

I think them calling that a bad line is very weak sauce, but there's really nothing we can do about it. It's up to them, unfortunately.
    where did i say the pay winners and void losers lol

Im saying the book should pay out at correct odds. If theres time, the book should contact you to see what you wanna do - keep the bet at different odds - or cancel the bet.

But "in play" its different.

bubba

Im saying the book should pay out at correct odds. If theres time, the book should contact you to see what you wanna do - keep the bet at different odds - or cancel the bet.

in play is different in that there needs to be even more reason to cancel a bad line. The lines are moving constantly. probably after almost every pitch. It is too hard for the common joe to know what a "bad line" is. An error should have to be really, really bad to cancel a live wager.

cashin81
    hvob

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    in play is different in that there needs to be even more reason to cancel a bad line. The lines are moving constantly. probably after almost every pitch. It is too hard for the common joe to know what a "bad line" is. An error should have to be really, really bad to cancel a live wager.
    I agree with you. Im just responding to the other poster.

Most euro books either honour the bet if its slight, or look at what the other books had on offer.
    But again, i dont think the book in this instance wanted to make money out of this - they cancelled after 2-3 mins i think? Some books would wait for the result and see what works in their favour.
    i think they were just lazy.

RemRoos

Most euro books either honour the bet if its slight, or look at what the other books had on offer.
    But again, i dont think the book in this instance wanted to make money out of this - they cancelled after 2-3 mins i think? Some books would wait for the result and see what works in their favour.
    Yes, cancelling 3 mins after placement is at least better than afterwards. But in this case it did not help me because I was already logged out and they did not email me about the cancellation. From now on I will keep on checking bets at BOL for 10 mins after placement to see if they are still standing, because they can cancel any bet they want. But ofcourse only if BOL has the better price than other books, if equal I will always choose the other book to be safe.

bubba

It very likely was not malicious on their part. lazy/not knowing better etc. But they have had all this time to fix it (or offer proof of an obviously bad line worthy of cancellation), they havent (to my knowledge). And SBR is endorsing it.

bubba

Yes, cancelling 3 mins after placement is at least better than afterwards. But in this case it did not help me because I was already logged out and they did not email me about the cancellation. From now on I will keep on checking bets at BOL for 10 mins after placement to see if they are still standing, because they can cancel any bet they want.
    make it an hour to feel safe. 10 minutes too small a window

jbayko

But that’s effectivley the same thing as what I said. Sure, in your scenario, the book would be giving people the choice but you’d have to be an idiot to not accept a payout if you won and even dumber to not decide to cancel the wager if you lost. So the book is left with all winning bets paid out and all losing bets voided. It just doesn’t work that way.

cashin81
    hvob

But that’s effectivley the same thing as what I said. Sure, in your scenario, the book would be giving people the choice but you’d have to be an idiot to not accept a payout if you won and even dumber to not decide to cancel the wager if you lost. So the book is left with all winning bets paid out and all losing bets voided. It just doesn’t work that way.
    What? I said the book should give you the choice if the game hasnt started and theres time to make a decision. For example if you took +300 but it should be +150, you should get a choice to cancel, or keep the bet.

But as i said, in play is different. so they cant give you a choice - and the default should be pay out at correct odds - rather than cancel.

jbayko

What? I said the book should give you the choice if the game hasnt started and theres time to make a decision. For example if you took +300 but it should be +150, you should get a choice to cancel, or keep the bet.

But as i said, in play is different. so they cant give you a choice - and the default should be pay out at correct odds - rather than cancel.
    Your original comment said nothing about the game not starting yet. I quoted it below for your reference. That might be what was in your head, but it didnt come out on paper. And the situation that everyone is talking about here is a game that had already started and a wager that the player did not even realize was cancelled until after the target grade date/time had passed. So I hope you can understand the confusion.

Either way, expecting that to be the standard operating procedure whenever a book posts a bad line is foolish. Way too much work. It’s never happening. They're always going to just void all bets (or free roll you if they're a shit site).

Last edited by jbayko; 07-31-18 at 11:11 PM.

Optional

^^^ This is why you didn't get any answer despite repeating the demand over and again.

You were told why... SBR Forum did not say any of that. Did not say they can change or do anything. Sorry you don't like the decision but the book says they made an error and feel they changed it fast enough. SBR is not going to make up all these whatif scenarios like you to try and argue they are liars. They have a long and strong record of not lying to SBR and making fair decisions when called out to re-look at problems. Sometimes these things happen with live betting. It's part of the game.

bubba

^^^ This is why you didn't get any answer despite repeating the demand over and again.

You were told why... SBR Forum did not say any of that. Did not say they can change or do anything. Sorry you don't like the decision but the book says they made an error and feel they changed it fast enough. SBR is not going to make up all these whatif scenarios like you to try and argue they are liars. They have a long and strong record of not lying to SBR and making fair decisions when called out to re-look at problems. Sometimes these things happen with live betting. It's part of the game.
    I hope you can at least see how this is scary to players. Just trust the book. Trust this book, because sbr says to trust the book. Im not saying its a good line that was bet, I am not saying its a bad line. Im saying more should be needed to cancel a live wager than "line was put up by mistake. trust us".

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post

I hope you can at least see how this is scary to players. Just trust the book. Trust this book, because sbr says to trust the book. Im not saying its a good line that was bet, I am not saying its a bad line. Im saying more should be needed to cancel a live wager than "line was put up by mistake. trust us".
    If there was an issue like this coming up regularly I'd be more suspicious. It may have been an over zealous supervisor this time as it seems borderline why they would bother cancelling over the difference, but reality is it was most likely just an operator making a typo inputting, telling the manager it needs to be changed, and them just changing it as soon as alerted, without a lot more consideration.

Not saying it's right, as i really don't know for sure, but all live betting platforms seem to cancel a lot of bets over simple reasons. And it doesn't make sense they would all be doing it to 'cheat' people and undermine confidence in their own clients. It has to be a real book management issue for them all to act the same way IMHO.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Awesome.
    I agree. Very cheap of BetOnline to void wagers over that small of difference. I do credit them for doing it within 3 minutes, so they obviously felt strongly that -350 should have been out there instead of -240. But to nickle and dime players like that over that small of margin is ridiculous.

4nic8ing

Tonight in live MLB betting I placed a bet on Atlanta Braves ML -240 somewhere during I believe the 3rd or 4th inning (can't remember which one but for sure one of the two) at 5:40 PM ET when they were leading 2-0. And nothing spectacular going on in terms of play on the field. Just a regular 2-0 lead early in the game.
    What was time on your ticket that the wager is placed? I will see if I can find any other books line history at that time (probably a longshot).

If the market average was truly -350 you really have no leg to stand on since 7% is a pretty big price discrepancy. I would like to think SBR did some investigating on other prices but based on Optional's ('they have always been great in the past') comments I am skeptical.

jbayko

Quote Originally Posted by 4nic8ing View Post
    What was time on your ticket that the wager is placed? I will see if I can find any other books line history at that time (probably a longshot).

If the market average was truly -350 you really have no leg to stand on since 7% is a pretty big price discrepancy. I would like to think SBR did some investigating on other prices but based on Optional's ('they have always been great in the past') comments I am skeptical.
    Where can you get historical live betting odds?

4nic8ing

It is a longshot for sure ; sometimes Cris & Pinny will flash numbers on Don Best. I also know somebody whose shop uses Betradar. So I will be able to see 1 number for sure and possibly 3 if he lists the time the wager was accepted.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

totally disagree

if i'm betting something at +300 then i probably don't want it at +150 and books shouldn't be given a reason to change odds after bets have been made

First 123 Last