Veteran Observer
    Veteran Observer's Avatar Become A Pro!

BetOnline Cancels Game

I made a small bet on the Montana State-Binghamton basketball game on Tuesday, December 21. I took Montana State +6.5 points as per their listed line. They put out the line, not me. It turns out Montana State, not Binghamton, was the 6.5-point favorite. Montana State won by 10.
    Eventually I had a back-and-forth with customer service. BetOnline chose to cancel the bet well after the game began and said per their rules they have the right to do so. I asked if I made a mistake and bet on Team A when I meant to bet on Team B if I could cancel the bet before the game started. I was told I could not. I said it looks one-sided when I can't cancel a bet before a game starts but BetOnline can cancel a bet after a game begins.
    The logical extension of this is BetOnline could cancel a bet on any game at any time if it looks like they're going to lose. Sometimes taking a financial beating is worth not taking the public relations hit.

SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993431

Welcome to SBR Forum. A -6.5 favorite as a +6.5 dog is going to get voided 99% of the time; a few sites might decide to correct the line instead if that's what their policy allows, but BetOnline's terms state:

"BetOnline cannot be held responsible for any computer, typing or human error when posting odds, lines or point spreads. However, in the case of obvious mechanical, technical or human error in the prices or conditions we publish, we reserve the right, at our discretion, to correct obvious errors and to No-Action your wager."
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave SBR Forum 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17057

Obvious line error. Most if not all books cancel these bets.

KS1986
    KS1986's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9612

The line was clearly an error and every book has safe guards against this. You have no complaint here.

KS1986
    KS1986's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9612

and there will be no public relations hit from this, lol

4nic8ing
    4nic8ing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Ummmm that is about as obvious a line error as you can get. Next time just email CS and let them know rather than putting yourself through the grief. Be thankful it was with a reputable book or you might find your self free-rolled with zero recourse.

Jnas
    Jnas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8549

I hate these shot takers get lost Bozo!!
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave Jnas 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Veteran Observer
    Veteran Observer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Forum View Post
    Welcome to SBR Forum. A -6.5 favorite as a +6.5 dog is going to get voided 99% of the time; a few sites might decide to correct the line instead if that's what their policy allows, but BetOnline's terms state:

"BetOnline cannot be held responsible for any computer, typing or human error when posting odds, lines or point spreads. However, in the case of obvious mechanical, technical or human error in the prices or conditions we publish, we reserve the right, at our discretion, to correct obvious errors and to No-Action your wager."
    Two points to be made in rebuttal. First, there is a distinct difference between canceling a bet before a game starts and after it starts. Second, the underlying reason for any wager should be because one thinks the posted number is incorrect. (No argument with the posted number, no bet). One can think the posted number on one game is more incorrect than the posted number on another game and act accordingly.

4nic8ing
    4nic8ing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Observer View Post
    Two points to be made in rebuttal. First, there is a distinct difference between canceling a bet before a game starts and after it starts. Second, the underlying reason for any wager should be because one thinks the posted number is incorrect. (No argument with the posted number, no bet). One can think the posted number on one game is more incorrect than the posted number on another game and act accordingly.
    Dude get lost ; you are speaking like a true rookie who has never wagered before. Obvious bad lines can and will be deleted by the book upon noticing them.

Drydin
    Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
    Drydin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2266

You gotta be more careful Veteran, this is a obvious line error and you shouldn't of even of wagered on it. It's not worth the aggravation or pissing the book off. Like another poster said some more nefarious books will free-roll you and the better ones may get pissed and just boot you all together if you do it enough. Myself if i'm not sure the line is on the up and up i stay off it.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I made a small bet on the Montana State-Binghamton basketball game on Tuesday, December 21. I took Montana State +6.5 points as per their listed line. They put out the line, not me. It turns out Montana State, not Binghamton, was the 6.5-point favorite. Montana State won by 10.
    Eventually I had a back-and-forth with customer service. BetOnline chose to cancel the bet well after the game began and said per their rules they have the right to do so. I asked if I made a mistake and bet on Team A when I meant to bet on Team B if I could cancel the bet before the game started. I was told I could not. I said it looks one-sided when I can't cancel a bet before a game starts but BetOnline can cancel a bet after a game begins.
    The logical extension of this is BetOnline could cancel a bet on any game at any time if it looks like they're going to lose. Sometimes taking a financial beating is worth not taking the public relations hit.
    And to add to this.... if you took the other side.... and it was losing.... they would of never said it was a bad line... and you'd be screwed either way. That's why you should NEVER TAKE A SHOT AT A BAD LINE.

They have you played both ways. You win... they will cancel it. If you're losing... they will grade it as a loss.

Every book does this. You don't play fair? They won't play fair.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

It sounds like you haven't run across this before. If betting reversed spreads like that, or anything really obviously wrong, books don't care about your technical arguments.

It's not a case of odds being off, or a posted number being incorrect, or you making a sharp betting decision. The actual spread was reversed.

At many places when people bet such obviously bad lines they are treated as shot takers and lose all rights. particularly at offshore books.

You've ended up with the best case scenario result in this situation already. Well, apart from them not picking it up and paying you of course.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273623

betonline did what is normal and accepted industry wide.

stick around SBR however share and learn lots of things, shake off your mini issue here as Im sure the book will shake it off and keep you there as well.

Offshoreisiffy
    Offshoreisiffy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

BetOnline is an OK book as long as you never need CS for anything.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29078

I have to stay after winning a free contest and only opening an account at BOL after i won the twitter contest, i really really liked my experience...neevr made any deposits, no rollovr on the money was just cash, and i went on the run of my life KILLING them and never had a single delay in any of my 8-9 payouts i made before NASCAR ended lst week....and they never even asked for ID or ANY verification, even though never made a deposit there in my life....BTC sent in about 6-8 hrs everytime as requested and had it in my hand in cash via bitpay debit card every evening

they aren't 5dimes by any means options wise for things i like like parlaying NASCAR race winners and cant parlay their match-ups either like dimes, or open parlays ect ect...but they are top-notch for me in the past 4+ months i have been using them

BAUS
    Back on post review re: Optimal
    BAUS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

What about bettors who wagered the total of this game? Were those bets cancelled?

BAUS

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

Sometimes taking a financial beating is worth not taking the public relations hit.
    Other times, not rewarding a D-3 NCAAB shot-taker is important for preventing future shot-takers from swarming your book.
    Last edited by evo34; 11-24-17 at 01:05 AM.